Should we just by Saga now and not worry about 4th

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you believe some on the board, Saga will be unchanged when it comes out redressed as 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons. Should we just forgo the change and by Saga instead, build a fantasy world around "mage" force users and "mercenary" fighters?

What do you think?
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Are you being serious or is this a joke?

Please say it is a joke because I honestly hope someone didn't have this as a real thought.

:P
Are you being serious or is this a joke?

Please say it is a joke because I honestly hope someone didn't have this as a real thought.

:P

He's being petty, its a long story... but on a serious point, my gaming group has done a Fantasaga mod for playing D&D until 4th-edition comes out. We are all looking forward to 4E and after playing Saga we cannot go back to 3.x.
He's being petty, its a long story... but on a serious point, my gaming group has done a Fantasaga mod for playing D&D until 4th-edition comes out. We are all looking forward to 4E and after playing Saga we cannot go back to 3.x.

Now THAT I don't have a problem with at all. In my son's game I have paired down the list of skills similar to the work done in SAGA. A few of the other mechanics have found their way in. But I am also including some of the hinted at stuff we are seeing here.

For example, I have nuked spell durations and tossed in my own version of the 'at will/per encounter/per day/permanent'. The effects of that have been felt immediately and the game is just a lot more fun in general.
If you've read the boards/blogs/hints carefully SAGA is a signifigant preview of some of the d20 mechanics enhancements. However, at the same time they describe magic working totally different than the force. For instance the description of the use of the fireball spell in this thread is very differen than the use of the force powers in SAGA.http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13860206&postcount=13

In addition. On multiple threads they have discussed how casters will have At Will, Per Day, and Per Encounter magical abilities. In SAGA force powers are for the most part per encounter, with some abilities to allow further uses in one encounter if situation calls for it. These two seperate systems share similarities, but vary enough to make 4th Edition it's own rules set. I personally will continue playing my Fantasy SAGA conversion, but will be happy to see what the final 4th Edition product does with the magic system.
Wow, you think I kid.

It is good to know that magic is gonna be different than the Force. Some on here believe that it would be just the same as it is in Saga.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
That article speaks nothing of force powers. All it does is say that you can crit with attack spells, which you can do in Saga.

Most of us who are on the side of Force Mechanic = A lot like Magic Mechanic do not expect them to be exactly the same, but we do see how the system can work for it.

The biggest difference is the 8d6 @ 30 feet spells will not be the at will/per encounter powers. Those will be the per day powers.

However the concept of a Caster roll linked to a Magic skill (Spellcraft for mages) is almost guaranteed.
In my opinion, the evidence seems to point towards that the 4E magic system won't simply be a renamed adoption of the force powers from Saga.

We know that, at this point, 4E fireballs are capable of crits. In Saga on the other hand, force powers cannot crit because they are activated using a skill check (as opposed to an attack roll). Since skill checks under Core rules cannot crit, neither can Saga force powers, in direct contrast to what we know about 4E fireballs.

Of course, that's assuming that they haven't changed skill checks in 4E to allow critical successes...
If you believe some on the board, Saga will be unchanged when it comes out redressed as 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons. Should we just forgo the change and by Saga instead, build a fantasy world around "mage" force users and "mercenary" fighters?

What do you think?

There are also some on the board who think it is going to be JUST LIKE HARRY POTTER!!!! or JUST LIKE WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!! or whatever. Should we just assume every half baked thought that propagates itself on Al Gore's Interwebs is true?

What do you think?

What do you think?

Yes, you should. Now go get started.
my gaming group has done a Fantasaga mWe are all looking forward to 4E and after playing Saga we cannot go back to 3.x.

Totally on my page.

My group isn't so much playing Saga, as playing D&D 3.5 (3.75?) with many of the changes from Saga ported over (no iterative attacks, static defences, half CL as bonus to damage, charging is a standard action, withdraw is a move action, skills, no 5 ft. step and some other goodies).

I can say that implementing the combat rules has really added an element of ebb and flow to combat, as opposed to the often stagnant 3.5 combat of sauntering up to your opponent in order to get into a position to full attack and then stand there monotonously hacking away until either you or the enemy drops.

Like you we are looking forward to 4th Ed, and wouldn't go back to 3.5.
Indeed. Saga Edition is so great that I dread going back to the cludgy hodge-podge that is 3.5e. No more do I suffer under the horribly lame multiclass system. No more do I have to watch as characters stand there and swing, again and again. No longer do I have to deal with overpowered 'magic' systems and stupid, exponential character growth scales. Nope. It's all good, baby! :D
Sign In to post comments