Affiliations, should those return?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Should the affiliations which were introduced in PHB2 return in 4e? Obviously they'd be in the DMG rather than the PHB this time around. But the question is do you think they should go in?
Those always fell in the category of "added flavor" imho. With that in mind I say yes. They enhanced the setting and added a bit of fun for players and what not.
Affiliations? I got the 2nd ed PHB and I cant find anything on it. Is it like the Allegiance system from Modern d20? I'm hoping they would use Allegiance in 4th ed, but I'm interested hearing more about this Affiliation system you are talking about.
Affiliations? I got the 2nd ed PHB and I cant find anything on it. Is it like the Allegiance system from Modern d20? I'm hoping they would use Allegiance in 4th ed, but I'm interested hearing more about this Affiliation system you are talking about.

Player's Handbook II (3rd Edition).

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

Malcadon, affiliations are a mechanic for tracking a PC's rank or standing in an organization. By having the right skills, doing the right quests, or donating the right things, PCs can gain higher ranks and better privileges, but only from the organization they're working for. So a wizard who gives a few scrolls to the Library of Whosit might get access to some new spells, but he won't suddenly have a contact in the Nowhere Thieve's Guild, since he didn't do anything for them.

I like affiliations, personally. They're a nice way to add structured, mechanical goodies to what was previously "just" fluff. I think they belong in a DMG rather than a PHB, since they're basically a world-building tool. On the other hand, creating them could make a good "rainy day" activity for players, too...
I see. I have seen the PHB II, but never read it.

It sounds just like what I have seen in one of the older Gamma World games.

Thanks!
Basically, it was adding mechanics to what we have been doing in D&D all along. Like someone said it was "fluff" before and now we have mechanics for it.
Basically, it was adding mechanics to what we have been doing in D&D all along. Like someone said it was "fluff" before and now we have mechanics for it.

Building a mechanic to make it easier for DM's who want to use it is not a bad thing IMO. Its Optional afterall.
Building a mechanic to make it easier for DM's who want to use it is not a bad thing IMO. Its Optional afterall.

I never said it was either. As I posted above right after the OP I think it is a good thing and was good for the game. I wasn't saying it was a bad thing in my last post.

:P