DUNGEON MASTER'S DELUXE BOXED SET

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is something I'd really like to see come out for 4E.

"The contents of this sturdy 18-inch by 12-inch (by 6 inch) box includes:

- 2 sets of Dungeon Tiles
- 2 heavy cardstock sheets of pre-perforated dungeon accessories (tables, doors, treasure piles, corpses, pit traps, etc.)
- Set of polyhedral dice (d20, d12,d10,decaider,d8,4d6 and 1d4) and cloth dice bag
- Pad of Character Sheets (60)
- "Map Style" graph paper. Grids on one side, hexes on the other (60)
- Softcover Dungeon Master's Guide
- 48 page "Monster Manual" filled with opponents for 1st - 3rd level (or a full-blown MM!)
- 60 pre-painted, plastic miniatures of creatures listed in the "Monster Manual"
- A starting 1st level adventure, "The Seaside Menace" which includes 6 pre-made, fully equipped characters
- A 24 page booklet fully detailing the town of Seaside (and a map of The Sleeping Red Dragon Inn), where your adventurers can rest, shop, restock and arrange transport between adventures. Includes stats for several prominent NPCs and typical NPCs of the bustling town.
- A 120 page campaign binder, with front and back pockets to hold additional papers. Besides containing a 10-page primer on creating your own campaign world, the campaign binder contains forms to help you design, map and track your campaign world - including a generic calendar, world map, NPC record forms and encounter design sheets.
-The box cover also doubles as a Dungeon Master's screen, with fold-out sides. The right side panel is laminated for use with dry-erase marker (included) to track characters health, status and combat.
IT sounds good except for two things.

1) With all those components it would probably retail for a couple of hundred bucks, meaning I probably wouldn't buy it.

2) It has a lot of redundant components that most gamers either already have (i.e. dice) or can get for free (i.e. character sheets). And the inclusion of a monster manual would be even more likely to put me off of buying it since I would likely already have one. Now, admittedly, you might aim it at new players who don't already have those things, but the couple of hundred dollar price tag would put them off, I think, because few people are going to be willing to drop that kind of money all at once on a component of a game they aren't sure they are going to like.

In short, nice idea, I doubt it would sell.
Personally, I'd settle for a straight-out minis pack, with 50-60 commonly used minis, a map or two and some cardstock sheets.
Knowing that the DMG inside was soft cover I would not buy it.
Soft cover is OK if that's all there is, but given an option hardcover is my preference. In rulebooks, that is. ;)
What an awesome idea! I think you've included a bit too much, but you're on track with a good product idea.

Let's try a little less in the box (bring down the cost) and see what happens:
1 set of Dungeon Tiles
1 set of polyhedral dice
1 pad of generic character sheets (60)
1 pad of two sided (hex/square) mapping paper (60)
48 page MM handbook with 1st - 3rd level critters
36 page introductory module including details on "Seaside"
24 page DMG booklet with a primer on world creation.

Now we've got a product that's VERY useful and should cost less than $50. If this were properly supported, it would be a great start for DMs.

((By properly supported I mean stuff like this:
1.) Putting out a D&DMinis box that contains the critters in the 48 page MM handbook instead of random figs (Sure, they'd be commons, but really people, I've been trying to get enough Stirges to have a real encounter for months! {e-bay style, not random box style} Whose idea was it to make a stirge a rare mini?? Gods!!).
2.) D&DI offering forms like there were in the Dungeon Master's Logbook (1st ed stuff, but VERY USEFUL!!)
3.) D&DI offering forms to aid in world building and keeping track of your campaign world.))

Things like this would, in my opinion, make D&DI worth the money we're going to spend on it, as well as give us genuinely useful tools for our games.

Be well in all things,
Rave
Answers never come to those who refuse to face the fact that there are questions. -R. Ryder
One thing I've learned from making reports at work: always put in EVERYTHING you want - it's easier than coming back and asking for seconds.

Anyway, the trimmed-down set would work, but one of the things I'd really like to see is it include a starter set of minis. There's several boxed games (Descent, Warhammer Quest, etc.) that have been put out for years that included loads of plastic minis in them (Dragonstrike is the closest D&D ever came). And at least 2 sets of Dungeons tiles - you really need that to set down any halfway decent dungeon crawl.

The original was aimed primarily for the "new" DM and aimed somewhere at $70-$90, but I'd go for the 2nd offering as well. But isn't that pretty much the DM kit they killed a few months back?
The original was aimed primarily for the "new" DM and aimed somewhere at $70-$90, but I'd go for the 2nd offering as well. But isn't that pretty much the DM kit they killed a few months back?

I didn't know about that one. Do you have a link where I can find out what we missed? Or do you know what was in it?

Be well!
Rave
Answers never come to those who refuse to face the fact that there are questions. -R. Ryder