Weapon Damage

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
My two cents . . .

One of my first and still favorite Dungeons and Dragons books of all time was the Dungeons and Dragons Cyclopedia. It was a collection of all the rules from the old boxed sets. The book contained rules for different steps of weapon skill. Every step had a name. I don't remember them. Old age is setting in! Weapon damage was based on how far up the skill ladder your character was. I would like to see something like this in 4th edition. It makes sense to me that a 1st level character should do 1d8 damage with a long sword. Should a 10th level character still do 1d8 with a long sword? Wouldn't 2d8 or 3d8 make a little more sense?

Thanks.

:D
Personally I would much rather stay away from that and keep to the iterative attacks due to higher BAB. A sword should always do the same base damage, the increases should come from the wielder's skill and ability to connect with more hits in a round.
After all it isn't as if a fighter stands still for 5 seconds and swings only once at +5 and suddenly is able to swing twice at +6/+1! :D (Yes I know that there is only one attack roll, but it is an abstraction to adjudicate the results of a swirling melee of clashing steel!)
That'd mean rolling more dice, and rolling more dice means slowing down gameplay. I'd rather get a flat bonus than role more dice.
sounds like something a friend of mine did which was abysmal.

if an enemy was larger than usual, like say...a dragon, the damage it dealt was multiplied, and the damage it took reduced (from what was in the books)

why he never understood when we tried to tell him it was already adjusted by adding more dice and higher strength, i will never know...

anyway long story short, like everyone says, yeah a longsword does a D8 because it's a longsword. it has the potential to deal 1-8 points of slashing damage, which is enough to kill any normal man in one blow.
I also agree that a weapon's own damage should be fixed, but it would be good if martial classes were entitled to a damage bonus as they rise in levels, representing their advancing knowledge of opponent anatomy etc.

This will help fighters to scale better as levels rise.
I wouldn't be surprised if 4e got rid of iterative attacks altogether and added damage per hit as you advance.

The problem with iterative attacks is that it becomes cumbersome at higher levels. For example, in a recent combat my 15th level paladin was doing full round attacks while mounted and I had to roll over 40 dice every round.

Now don't get me wrong. I love my dice. They're all color coded and (because I preroll) combat still goes reasonably fast. But rolling handfuls of dice every round can bring a game to a crawl with the wrong people. Pity the DM trying to run multiple characters with that many attacks.

So if my long sword did 3d8 damage instead of my getting 3 attacks I'd be ok with it. Maybe I could sell my excess dice on eBay.

Allen
So if my long sword did 3d8 damage instead of my getting 3 attacks I'd be ok with it. Maybe I could sell my excess dice on eBay.

Allen

I'll take 'em :D.

I'm the diemonkey for my group; got a big ol' bag of everything, since we play WEG Star Wars, D&D, WoD, Exalted, Shadowrun, and (hopefully soon) L5R, I tend to need a lot of dice of a lot of different types.
I'll take 'em :D.

I'm the diemonkey for my group; got a big ol' bag of everything, since we play WEG Star Wars, D&D, WoD, Exalted, Shadowrun, and (hopefully soon) L5R, I tend to need a lot of dice of a lot of different types.

Nooo ... bad post saying I'd part with my dice ... must keep my precccioussss!
They'll probably use bonus damage like in SW SAGA, without iterative attacks, although special 'attack loads of mooks' options will be there.

Works well in SAGA, should work well here too.
Let me first state that I have no problem with them going the extra damage route rather than the iterative attacks route. It can speed up play and iterative attacks can sometimes be confusing for new players especially when you have lots of different bonuses to factor in.

A major difference is that attacks then become all-or-nothing. so a level 20 fighter in 3.5E has a chance to hit with all four of his attacks. I'm going to try not to bog the thread down with probabilities, the point is there's 4 chances to do 25% of the entire damage of the attack. Switch that to bonus damage instead of iterative attacks and you now have a chance to do 100% of the attack or 0%.

Now this can be a bonus or a penalty. With iterative attacks you actually have a much smaller chance to do 100% damage, but you also have a smaller chance to do 0% (not much smaller, but smaller). The average damage would probably be very similar in either case. Further, iterative attacks can be made against multiple enemies where bonus damage with one attack could only be made against a single opponent. SWSE added in some feats that allow you extra attacks which may help, but I have not had a chance to see them in practice.

Just my
In Saga, with proper training (e.g. feats) you can take multiple attacks, you get an additional attack with a -5 penalty to hit on all attacks made. Then there are talents that reduce that penalty later.
I like the idea of weapon damage increasing by level. It would be a fair way to level power against spellcasters. I would give fighters, then rogues, then divine and finally arcane casters the ability to increase weapon damage every so often. Maybe the fighter classes get 4D, priests and rogues get 3D & arcane casters only get 2. It would certainly cut down on the sole reliance of magic items to add any damage and might be a neat balancing idea for character builds such as Laurana, Kitiara, Zoro, Robin Hood & Drizzt Do'Urden who are not portrayed as walking muscle-bound meat heads, but skilled, dangerous fighters none-the-less. Think about it, you are a dangerous assasian. You get searched while walking through the barons keep and detect magic dosen't reveal anything. A flunky has a normal dagger hidden. You go get it and throw it at the evil baron while he sits smugly on his throne. The dagger hits and kills him. All the guard has to show for it is a cheap dagger that could have been bought anywhere. Any ordinary weapon can kill anyone. Fighters died of assasian's daggers all the time. Skill in weapon combat should be more than hitting an opponent.