2 Bladed Sword

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am wondering if this weapon will see the inside of the 4E book?
I think it will be in there in some form or another, but I do think they will cut down on the number of weapons, and threat ranges and critical confirmation rolls are going bye bye.
Oh dear lord I hope not. The only reason it was in 3E is for all the Star Wars fanboys who wanted to play a medieval Darth Maul.

I can see how some of the crazy double weapons they invented would work, but I always thought the double sword was just plain silly.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
I can see how some of the crazy double weapons they invented would work, but I always thought the double sword was just plain silly.

Yeah, it seems to be a pretty common that people think many of the double weapons are unrealistic/un-wieldable.
I highly agree that it is unrealistic, but then again its a FANTASY game. I would also like to see the spiked chain remain just out of personal reasons. and yes you can use a spiked chain.
There's a line for that suspension of disbelief, and besides, two bladed swords just annoy me. Especially with the Valenar wielding them... from horseback.
There's a line for that suspension of disbelief, and besides, two bladed swords just annoy me. Especially with the Valenar wielding them... from horseback.

I think Valenar elves should just ditch the double swords and instead retroactively adopt Bat'leths as their racial weapon. Those are at least theoretically plausible.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
I highly agree that it is unrealistic, but then again its a FANTASY game. I would also like to see the spiked chain remain just out of personal reasons. and yes you can use a spiked chain.

Yeah, but it was getting to the point that it just seemed like lazy game design. If you ever watch the TV show Scrubs, the character of The Janitor sometimes makes "Inventions" that are nothing more than two common items, impractically combined, i.e. a combination power drill/fork. The double wepons in D&D were getting like that, "Yeah, we'll just combine a dagger and halberd...."

The difference is, Scrubs is supposed to be comedy.
I find 2 bladed swords very useable, MUCH MORE SO than some chain that one is swinging around their head and once in a while scalping themselves with...

No, I don't like the cheese of spiked chains.
Pfft, forget Darth Maul. Cao Pi makes awesome use of a two-bladed sword in Dynasty Warriors.
You're all just haters because you didn't realize they were so cool until you saw someone else using them first.

:P
Personally I think that its a rather small detail to worry about right now, but I wouldn't mind if they stayed. The big rock guy from Ninja Scroll had one and he was pretty bad ass (of course he used it as a thrown weapon)
Personally I think that its a rather small detail to worry about right now, but I wouldn't mind if they stayed. The big rock guy from Ninja Scroll had one and he was pretty bad ass (of course he used it as a thrown weapon)

Very valid point.
I think it will be in there in some form or another, but I do think they will cut down on the number of weapons, and threat ranges and critical confirmation rolls are going bye bye.

Do you have a statement for that or is it a guess?

It seems reasonable given Saga, but D&D is much more directly weapon oriented. Fighters in D&D are defined by their weapons and armor, so it make sense to give them a bit more detail then in something like Saga where gear is a secondary detail.

Besides, without threat ranges and critical confirmation, there just are not that many distinct weapons. Unless they add something to replace them such as the weapon moves that people have been speculating about.

Personally, I'm hoping to see both.

Jay

*snip*

Besides, without threat ranges and critical confirmation, there just are not that many distinct weapons. Unless they add something to replace them such as the weapon moves that people have been speculating about.

Your assumption lies in that you presume that 4E weapons will be identical to 3.5E ones, minus their threat ranges. Quite the contrary, there's evidence to suggest that weapons will provide unique benefits (possibly based on weapon class) and that confirmation rolls are essentially gone. I say evidence because of course, we don't have finalized details, and there's a case for possible misinterpretation of the devs leaked info.

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

Great place to keep up to date with leaked info.
I am wondering if this weapon will see the inside of the 4E book?

It damn well better NOT. This isn't 1999, so Darth Maul is not cool anymore. Actually, he never was, but that's beside the point.

The quarterstaff as a double weapon is all fine and dandy. But hopefully WOTC has the sense to remove those ridiculous and stupid weapons like the orc double axe, dire flail, two-bladed sword, etc. There is such as thing as going too far beyond the line of disbelief.

EDIT: DO include chain-based weapons, though.
I find 2 bladed swords very useable, MUCH MORE SO than some chain that one is swinging around their head and once in a while scalping themselves with...

No, I don't like the cheese of spiked chains.

Learn about the meteor hammer, the rope dart, the kusari-gama, and other real, historical chain weapons before making ignorant claims.

Double bladed swords are infinitely more absurd than spiked chains.

It seems reasonable given Saga, but D&D is much more directly weapon oriented. Fighters in D&D are defined by their weapons and armor, so it make sense to give them a bit more detail then in something like Saga where gear is a secondary detail.

Jay

I'm hoping that differentiation between weapons has less to do with the raw weapon stats and more to do with maneuvers tied to certain weapons.
Oh dear lord I hope not. The only reason it was in 3E is for all the Star Wars fanboys who wanted to play a medieval Darth Maul.

I think a dire sword is less silly than a dire axe. But I'm not a fan of either.
If you ever watch the TV show Scrubs, the character of The Janitor sometimes makes "Inventions" that are nothing more than two common items, impractically combined, i.e. a combination power drill/fork.

"Knife-Wrench!"
Yeah, but it was getting to the point that it just seemed like lazy game design. If you ever watch the TV show Scrubs, the character of The Janitor sometimes makes "Inventions" that are nothing more than two common items, impractically combined, i.e. a combination power drill/fork. The double wepons in D&D were getting like that, "Yeah, we'll just combine a dagger and halberd...."

The difference is, Scrubs is supposed to be comedy.

Umm, Do I really need to start pointing out crazy historical weapons?

Do I need to point out the Monkey Spade, Trident Main Gauche, The Urumi andThe Meteor Hammer & Rope Dart.

I'm sure someone tried the two bladed sword (hell they had double spears and the double moon crescent staff)
Pfft, forget Darth Maul. Cao Pi makes awesome use of a two-bladed sword in Dynasty Warriors.

Very true...
"Knife-Wrench!"

:D

The way they were going for a while, I was half expecting to see that as a weapon in the game.

Though now that I think about it, my rogue in my current game really COULD use a pair of salt and pepper shakers made out of stuffed squirrels...Just to annoy the druid.

Do I need to point out the Monkey Spade, Trident Main Gauche, The Urumi andThe Meteor Hammer & Rope Dart.

I'm sure someone tried the two bladed sword (hell they had double spears and the double moon crescent staff)

Oh sure, and later they began sticking pistols onto everything; knives, sheilds, swords, cats, etc. But most of these weapons weren't terribly practical, which is why your standard real world warrior of the era used a weapon that had something choppy, pointy or clubby on one end and just a handle on the other.

Yeah, I know its a fantsy game, but some of their combos just bugged me. They didn't seem particularly inspired, its like the game designers just said "Hmmm, we are a little light in the new weapons department here. Lets just stick weapon A on the end of weapon B's handle. There's your new weapon right there."
:D

The way they were going for a while, I was half expecting to see that as a weapon in the game.

Though now that I think about it, my rogue in my current game really COULD use a pair of salt and pepper shakers made out of stuffed squirrels...Just to annoy the druid.

We need more people with your attitude on these boards – good to have you around.
We need more people with your attitude on these boards – good to have you around.

Thanks man. Good to be around.:D
If the theme of the fighter is going to be his weapon and it will be from this that that he bases his talents on, then unique weapons that will be distinctive to a particular fighter should be part of the game. So I really do hope that the 2 bladed sword and the spiked chain are left in.
So I really do hope that the spiked chain are left in.

As long as they fix the chain-tripper nightmare…
The problem I have with the two-bladed sword is that they're straight swords.

There are historical examples of attempts at dual-sided weapons, but when they're knives or swords they're invariable curved. The use of the weapons encourages a drawing/cutting motion, rather than a hacking/stabbing motion, which leads me to believe that scimitars/katanas work far better than longswords for such an application.

Viewed in light of a curved variety, it's much easier to see a Dervish-like martial art based around constant motion with such a weapon, even as historically absurd as it is.
Yeah, I know its a fantsy game, but some of their combos just bugged me. They didn't seem particularly inspired, its like the game designers just said "Hmmm, we are a little light in the new weapons department here. Lets just stick weapon A on the end of weapon B's handle. There's your new weapon right there."

Ya I see your point... most of the exotic weapons where just too out there...

The only ones I liked where the spike chain, whip, basterd sword, and the two-bladed sword.

All the other ones kind of went too far (well maybe the Gnome Hook-Hammer could stay)
The double wepons in D&D were getting like that, "Yeah, we'll just combine a dagger and halberd...."

Um, most halberds, hell most pole-axe weapons, had daggers mounted into the butt for striking.

Not a very long butt-spike, of course, it was always there. The Halberd itself is an axe, a spear, and a pick-axe all in one anyway, no reason you can't have a dagger on the butt end to ensure that in melee you're always able to defend yourself.

Which is an awful game.

At least in Soul Edge/Calibur the characters' styles and weapons are at the very least loosely based on real-life counterparts.
Um, most halberds, hell most pole-axe weapons, had daggers mounted into the butt for striking.

Not a very long butt-spike, of course, it was always there. The Halberd itself is an axe, a spear, and a pick-axe all in one anyway, no reason you can't have a dagger on the butt end to ensure that in melee you're always able to defend yourself.

Yeah, I realized that about two hours after I posted it. I was just trying to think of a couple of very disparate weapons. Halberd and a Flail, then. Better?
Yeah, I realized that about two hours after I posted it. I was just trying to think of a couple of very disparate weapons. Halberd and a Flail, then. Better?

Hrm, I can still see it.

Halberd and bardiche or other pole-axe...that's a little strange, but a Chinese martial artist may be able to make use of one.

Oh! I know! A halberd and pick-axe!

Hell, a pick axe and anything. Those things are unwieldy enough as it is.
Hrm, I can still see it.

Halberd and bardiche or other pole-axe...that's a little strange, but a Chinese martial artist may be able to make use of one.

Oh! I know! A halberd and pick-axe!

Hell, a pick axe and anything. Those things are unwieldy enough as it is.

Oh, I can see it. I just can't see it being very useful, is all.

Here we go, a pick axe on the butt end of the hilt of a German Zweihander. Maybe with a pistol built in, just for giggles.
At least in Soul Edge/Calibur the characters' styles and weapons are at the very least loosely based on real-life counterparts.

Right. Like a big round two-handed circular blade.

I enjoy SoulCaliber, but your fiction is not better than my fiction, thanks.
Right. Like a big round two-handed circular blade.

I enjoy SoulCaliber, but your fiction is not better than my fiction, thanks.

Too bad there's no weapon that's like that in Soul Calibur (and you could at least spell it right, especially since I did the first time).

In any case, don't use the example of one mediocre fighting game as an excuse for keeping in something so retarded like the two-bladed sword.

The main gauche was a dagger built for better off-hand usage in defense. Not exactly "crazy."

The others are exotic, but nothing beyond the realm of practicality, and nothing even remotely resembling those stupid double weapons. In fact, I'd rather see stuff like the meteor hammer and rope dart make it in as exotic weapons rather than the dire flail, double axe, two-bladed sword, etc.
Oh, I can see it. I just can't see it being very useful, is all.

Here we go, a pick axe on the butt end of the hilt of a German Zweihander. Maybe with a pistol built in, just for giggles.

Personally, I think wheel-lock rifles built into spears is an excellent idea, tactically, but you only get one shot.

If I had the money for it, I'd collect "hybrid" weapons. Always loved the artisanship.

A zweihander with a pickaxe, though, is the most disgusting use of weights I've ever heard of.
Too bad there's no weapon that's like that in Soul Calibur (and you could at least spell it right, especially since I did the first time).

In any case, don't use the example of one mediocre fighting game as an excuse for keeping in something so retarded like the two-bladed sword.

Yes, there is
I haven't played the third one. From what I hear, that's a good thing, anyway.
Sign In to post comments