Improvised Weapons

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone EVER use improvised weapons?

I think I've used them after the "party is captured and thrown into a dungeon" kind of encounters, and yes, they are fairly ineffective. Though since these encounters are usually at lower levels, it's never a problem (most things are fairly ineffective at low levels).

I've tried playing the "Drunken Master" prestige class (based on the movie) which gains an Improvised weapons feat at 4th level. I found this to be ALOT of fun, and wanted to combine this with a "Vow of Poverty" Monk, but I don't think the Drunken Master made the transition to 3.5 from the "Sword and Fist" book by David Noonan.

Since DnD 4e developers have claimed that reducing the Christmas tree effect of magic items is a goal for 4e, I'm excited, and hope that improvised weapons will be making a comeback.
Improvised weapons are a staple of almost every good, realistic combat scene anywhere. Especially in a bar. I want more love for the improvised weapon, I'm sick of fights where you stand there whacking each other, I want to use my environment and for battles to a bit messier like in real life. I doubt I'll get that though... Sigh
I've tried playing the "Drunken Master" prestige class (based on the movie) which gains an Improvised weapons feat at 4th level. I found this to be ALOT of fun, and wanted to combine this with a "Vow of Poverty" Monk, but I don't think the Drunken Master made the transition to 3.5 from the "Sword and Fist" book by David Noonan.

Its in complete warrior.
Another worry about Improvised Weapons is that many folks are hoping for weapon based AC bonuses or some mechanic that scales with character level. I just hope that they DONT rely too heavily upon weapon properties to give bonuses to AC and instead rely upon something more intrinsic to the character, since I can't imagine Improvised Weapons proving much bonus to AC.

Could be fun to raise the towel and use it to disarm a sword wielding goblin though haha.
Does anyone EVER use improvised weapons?

I think I've used them after the "party is captured and thrown into a dungeon" kind of encounters, and yes, they are fairly ineffective. Though since these encounters are usually at lower levels, it's never a problem (most things are fairly ineffective at low levels).

Since DnD 4e developers have claimed that reducing the Christmas tree effect of magic items is a goal for 4e, I'm excited, and hope that improvised weapons will be making a comeback.

That's a good idea indeed. Rules for improvised weapons would be a great encouragement to creative play, which is what I like the most.
3E gave very little rules for improvised weapon, giving a few tables with damage (which is fine, but not enough). For example: what would be range increment of a crate? Would a stronger character throw that crate farther than a weak one? How much?

Edit: this range thing makes me think that it would be fine if Strength-based range increment worked also for regular thrown weapons and that different range increments for ranged weapons should be listed depending on size (a Storm Giant's bow will shoot farther than a human's or halfling's one).
A guy in our group picked up a goblin corpse and chucked it at one of the other goblins. It worked out fairly well, hehe.
I've used improvised weapons a few times with one of my warforged. His luck with them is rather uncanny. Every time who uses one, may it be a dead bandit corpse or a broken couch, he has critted 2/3 times with them.

While the table in CW is nice, it doesn't do enough, I feel. And frankly, I find it more than a little bit dumb that you need to be a Drunken Master in order to effectively use improvised weapons. Does anybody feel the same way?
Oh, I definitely agree that you shouldn't have to be a drunken master to gain proficiency with improvised weapons. The Drunken Master prestige class (while very cool) imposes alot on the roleplaying style of the character. I would think that we could come up with many other logical reasons why a character would become effective with improvised weapons.
I've used improvised weapons a few times with one of my warforged. His luck with them is rather uncanny. Every time who uses one, may it be a dead bandit corpse or a broken couch, he has critted 2/3 times with them.

While the table in CW is nice, it doesn't do enough, I feel. And frankly, I find it more than a little bit dumb that you need to be a Drunken Master in order to effectively use improvised weapons. Does anybody feel the same way?

I do.
I think an objects damage should be based on density and shape. a rock is going to hit harder than a pillow even thow a pillow might be larger
The pillow is lighter so it deals less damage, however shape and density should play a part. And there should be a feat, or maybe two that remove the penalty for improvised weapons. Give the Fighter another advantage, then they are that much closer to catching up with the Warlock and the Soulknife.
I use improvised weapons at times and just sort of 'wing-it' as I go. For example, in my last session (3.5 obviously) the PCs were fighting a Hill Giant in it's room. It threw a single boulder at one PC and then a round later picke up the stool it had in the room and threww it at another PC. I figured a Stool for a Hill Giant is pretty big, much like a sturdy table, and should do a damage die one less that the boulder. Again, just on the 'wing'. I was also thinking of having the Giant through it's bag of treasure at the PCs, maybe it would deal same damage as a boudler (sourt of like the old Pillowcase full of doorknobs Gang thing), but the bag would burst on Impact a spill all the coins about

Again, a better set of guidelines in the 'core rules' would be nice
Sign In to post comments