Different Dice?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, are the dice considered sacred cows? I know some people hate d10s with a passion, and other people feel sorry for the d12. Personally, I have some d16s and d30s that are gathering dust.

Another thing: the wizard/sorcerer was always the d4 guy, but somehow I think that is going to be left by the wayside. So will there be any use for d4s anymore?

So how about it, maybe 4th edition could trade in the d4 for the d14? Bump up the numbers just a little bit?
So will there be any use for d4s anymore?

A handful of d4s make great caltrops in a pinch. ;)
I feel that 2nd edition was terrible about letting you use all your dice. At least with 3.0/3.5 you had the 12 sided dice being used for hit point rolls for Barbarian class and some of the weapons. There is still so many spells though that they can think of ways to use the different dice though is there not? I like the variety of using different dice. It makes people interested in what your doing when they only ever seen 6 sided dice before.
So, are the dice considered sacred cows? I know some people hate d10s with a passion, and other people feel sorry for the d12. Personally, I have some d16s and d30s that are gathering dust.

Another thing: the wizard/sorcerer was always the d4 guy, but somehow I think that is going to be left by the wayside. So will there be any use for d4s anymore?

So how about it, maybe 4th edition could trade in the d4 for the d14? Bump up the numbers just a little bit?

Well I think that the dice were set up the way they are for a reason. Of the big six dice (d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20) all except the d10 are regular polyhedrons, in that the sides and angles are are similiar, allowing them to roll more naturally (aesthetically speaking, they look better and I would imagine easier to make fair and balanced). The d10 is necessary in our base 10 math world, and especially with percentages. There doesn't seem to be any need to make more people buy dice.

As for d4s, most first level spells like Burning Hands and Magic Missles use d4s, in addition to daggers and smaller weapons. I agree that all early levels should have more than d4s for hit dice. A third level wizard is like to have less hitpoints than a first level barabrian, that doesn't seem quite right. In my game, the wizards got bumped up to d6s.
There doesn't seem to be any need to make more people buy dice.

Assuming they stay with the most common dice that would be the primary reasoning behind it. A lot of us own small fortunes in dice and suddenly throwing a new type of die at us would throw some people through the proverbial loop. At that point all their sets of dice would need to be updated. And knowing how "OCD" some of us can be about dice I can see a few family fortunes going down the drain on that.

I do own a few strange dice myself but I have always thought of them as conversation pieces. I have never had any intention of using them during an actual game.
I used to have a d100, basically a glorified golf ball. It was fun to show people, but not really a substitute for rolling two d10s. A d30 has its uses, one of them being for generating a letter from A-Z (1-26) in order to make up a name on the spot. But the current dice will stay in the system from now till 10th edition and beyond.

As pointed out, you have the classic five regular solids (d4, d6, d8, d12 and d20). I believe the ancient Greeks called them the tetrahedron, hexahedron (or cube), octahedron, dodecahedron and icosahedron. To do other numbers (d14, d16) you have to find the face-shape that fits a solid with that number of faces. The d10 was worth the work, but would the d14 or d16 be so? I'm yet to be convinced.
To do other numbers (d14, d16) you have to find the face-shape that fits a solid with that number of faces. The d10 was worth the work, but would the d14 or d16 be so? I'm yet to be convinced.

No, you just do a cop out and make everything triangles. As long as the number of sides is even it will work out.

Here's how:
1. Split your final number of sides in 2, let's call that number H. So if you start with 14, you get 7.
2. Make a H sided "pyramid" with H congruent triangles that have two edges of equal length then a third side that is short.
3. Put both "pyramids" together.

I have a d16 and when I saw it I immediately went, "Wow... that is both brilliant and disappointing."
As for d4s, most first level spells like Burning Hands and Magic Missles use d4s, in addition to daggers and smaller weapons.

Sure, in 3rd edition it worked that way. But if we're being honest about what's most fun in the D&D game, throwing four-siders isn't one of the highlights. Especially when you get a big handful of them, because it feels like it's going to be a huge number until you actually start to count them up.

Actually, I'll admit I'm being facetious here. The reality is that I love throwing all my dice, and I try to come up with an excuse to use at least one of each for each character I play. I am actually worried that the d4 will indeed be cut from the D&D game for the reason I stated in my previous paragraph. And, once it's gone, there's no house-ruling it back in, because the assumptions of the game will make it obsolete.
Sure, in 3rd edition it worked that way. But if we're being honest about what's most fun in the D&D game, throwing four-siders isn't one of the highlights. Especially when you get a big handful of them, because it feels like it's going to be a huge number until you actually start to count them up.

Actually, I'll admit I'm being facetious here. The reality is that I love throwing all my dice, and I try to come up with an excuse to use at least one of each for each character I play. I am actually worried that the d4 will indeed be cut from the D&D game for the reason I stated in my previous paragraph. And, once it's gone, there's no house-ruling it back in, because the assumptions of the game will make it obsolete.

Psh, says you. I'll make a Bardiche that does 3d4 damage if I have to.
And, once it's gone, there's no house-ruling it back in, because the assumptions of the game will make it obsolete.

How about house ruling that anything that does d8 and looks funny instead does 2d4.

I seriously don't see them getting ride of the core six dice; there is a powerful dice lobby sneaking around in the shadows ( I'm talking about you Crystal Caste, with you high falutin metal dice). ;)

And of course, smaller sets of dice would mean less profit. ;)

There IS a d16? and a d14? Do you have a picture of it? I'm really curious about this.
Google-Fu... Easy search...

Game Station's 16 Sided Dice

Chessex sells all sorts of non-traditional dice but they lack the pictures requested mostly.
Sign In to post comments