The "New" Action Points? Speculation? Ideas?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Action points are one of my favorite additions to 3.5... they really helped add a sense of resource management (beyond burning spells/items) to the game, and became the true Heroic Resource. before Action Points, there was no RAW way to show that *this* event/roll/interaction was more important than the others, that this one really counted...

so i was glad to hear in the recent podcast that action points, in some form or another, will appear in 4E... i wonder if they'll be closer to the destiny points as outlined in the Star Wars SAGA, or possibly some combination between that and the current 3.5 iteration... still more interesting would be something that perhaps leveraged the Fortune/Fate concept found in Warhammer 2nd Edition... a smaller allotment of points, but with greater flexibility... perhaps refreshing each session/day (rather than at level-ups) so players always have a little something in their back pocket to work with.

what is your speculation about Action Points? are you a fan of APs in general? what is the one change you'd like to see for APs in 4E?
I suspect they will be more like the Hero Points in Mutants and Masterminds.
Whoever was speaking in the podcast at the time mentioned that it had to do with "something good," which I assume to mean a mechanic that they have yet to tell us about. That makes me VERY exceited.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
My bet is that at least some spells will be balanced by action point use. Especially the ones that require XP use now.
I also think it would be interesting to have some factor like Force Points or Eseentia (from Magic of Incarnum)...

Perhaps certain class abilities or spells have a default effect - which you can "pump up" to higher levels by spending Action Points... Such as raising the Dodge bonus from a feature by 2 points, or perhaps gaining an extra die of sneak attack damage or increasing the save DCs (er... "Defenses") of effects, etc.
I have a feeling it will work like Destiny points in SAGA; as a free action, add this dice to your next roll. Usable once per round.

As you gain levels, you can roll multiple dice and take the highest of the rolls to add to your next die roll.
I suspect they will be more like the Hero Points in Mutants and Masterminds.

I sure hope this is the way that they go.
It may also be similar to the (I forget exactly what they're called, tokens I think) points that you get in the Iron Heroes system (by Mike Merles) where you can spend X number of them to accomplish a specific cool thing, and they recover/are generated at different rates depending on what class you are and what you do (assassins have to observe their foes for a while to collect the points, where as barbarians have to be in combat to collect points)...or something like that.
I have a feeling it will work like Destiny points in SAGA; as a free action, add this dice to your next roll. Usable once per round.

As you gain levels, you can roll multiple dice and take the highest of the rolls to add to your next die roll.

They said in the podcasts that it will be something different from saga and from eberron.
I have one, humble, request related to action points: link them to Charisma somehow. It's too easy for players to make a fighter-type and throw their lowest stat in Charisma without thinking. There needs to be some way for the stat to influence combat, for everyone, and action points seem like a good way of doing it. After all, Charisma represents your sense of self, which is related to self-confidence - and self-confidence is a frequent trait of heroes who do the over-the-top things action points let you do. :D