Please make Traps more interesting

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I really like the idea that in 4D&D Races will have a unique feel to them, which may translate into some special quality or attack that may even be unique for that race.

I hope that in 4D&D the designers take a look into making the different types of traps more interesting. Perhaps treating different types of traps similar to the different types of races.

For example, what if spike traps always goes through DR or pit traps always cause a short stun effect. Perhaps swinging pendulum blades interrupt concentration, and i dunno.. these are just stupid examples that I'm making up right now. If however there were well thought out traps, that would effect each of the various different abilities of players and reduce the effectiveness of certain roles, DMs might use them much more. It IS called DUNGEONS and dragons after all.

I think it would be really cool if in the "Create an encounter" section, that pre-made traps and environmental situations were part of the charts. D&D might see much more tactically interesting combats. This was mentioned in the 3.x rules, however seldomly used in last-minute on-the-spot encounters.
I think this may make you happy:

We've got some nifty new rules for hazards/traps/obstacles/whatever-you-wanna-call-'em. As an adventure designer, I love them--but we'll see (and actually some of you will tell me) how they work at the table. After a few hours playing with the new tools, I'll tell you this: the hardest part of creating a cool hazard/trap/obstacle is the creative gruntwork. Conceiving it is harder than implementing it. That's probably how it should be.

The other thing I like about it is that it rewards teamwork--just as combat does and just as the social stuff I talked about last week does.

I hope that in 4D&D the designers take a look into making the different types of traps more interesting.

I highly suggest any of the Grimtooth’s Traps books if you really want to see some more interesting traps. They’ve got everything from the intellectually challenging to the more unusual bypass-all-the-player’s-cool-junk traps.
Personally, I hope they keep the dungeon pit traps from 3.0 that took 2 weeks to install and cost thousands of gold...the trap-digging union must have great benefits.
Personally, I hope they keep the dungeon pit traps from 3.0 that took 2 weeks to install and cost thousands of gold...the trap-digging union must have great benefits.

considering how much government road crews get paid its not a stretch for me.
Theyve said we can look to Dungeonscape to get an idea of how traps will be handled. I can only assume they were refering to the complex "encounter" traps that have to potential to involves the abilities of the whole party, not just the rogue.
Weeks!?!

Your crews were working fast. Using the crafting rules from PHB for making progress of a few silver per week, it was months to get the 10' deep pit dug.

I personally love (said sarcastically) the "disable trap" single die-roll mechanic that allowed the rogue to stop the water from rushing into the 10x10x10 closed in which he stood.

'But how can that be?' said I to the rogue player.

'It just is, cuz I rolled high.' said he and pointed to the rules book.
I personally love (said sarcastically) the "disable trap" single die-roll mechanic that allowed the rogue to stop the water from rushing into the 10x10x10 closed in which he stood.

Well, you shouldn't be able to build the trap in real life to disable it. I don't know exactly how a poison gas trap works but I'm sure going to be ****** if you tell me my rogue can't disarm it because I can't walk you through how I used my thieves tools to disarm it.

In fact, as a DM, I've always been careful to describe to players how they have disarmed traps.

You never ask the wizard where that fireball came from, do you? It's just game mechanics. Our PCs are better at certain things than we are in real life. The old player stand-by: "I don't know how I do it...my character is smarter than me!"

And if you can't imagine how a trap is disabled, perhaps he shouldn't have gotten a roll in the first place.
But wouldn't it be more cool if the water pit trap allowed the rogue to use his +2 bonus on water / flooding type traps. But since the rogue is only moving at half speed after falling, there may not be time!

If this had to be done "in combat", perhaps this particular trap had to be disarmed via a few different skills / class abilities, and even then by disabling the spring the opened the trap door holding back the water, the spring may have sprung out dealing x damage to anyone in a certain square, etc.

Allowing other players to help in identifying traps, and participating in trap encounters (if only by serving as trap fodder), D&D can keep some of that 1e dungeon feel, etc.
Do you think the new rules will have this situation covered?
Medieval castle stormed with bare hands
Sign In to post comments