Base Attack Bonus as Skill

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a rough idea that popped into my head, using Star Wars Saga Edition (SWSE) rules.

Skill: Base Attack (Dex)

According to SWSE you make a skill check 1d20+half your character level+key ability modifier+miscellaneous mods. The Difficulty Class (DC) for this check is of course the Reflex Defense (RD) of the target.

This looks like current 3.5 Wizard Base Attack Bonus (BAB) progression. So here is the introduction of extra Feats obtainable at level 4,8,12,16,... For Base Attack a feat tree will be introduced: Base Attack Bonus I (prerequisites: character level 4), gives a +2 unnamed bonus to your Base Attack skill. Base Attack Bonus II (prerequisites character level 8, BAB I): gives another +2 unnamed bonus to your Base Attack skill (stacks with BAB I). And so on...
This Feat tree will of course be chosen by combat oriented types, leaving other non-combat Characters extra Feats to "buy" . Base Attack has been moved from a specific Class feature to the open-for-all Feats section. So this has to be compensated to the fighter types by giving them extra Powers, etc.
What will happen to Weapon Focus, etc.? These are indeed much less powerful than the BAB-Feat-tree, but the prerequisites are also easier and Weapon Focus could be a prerequisite itself for another Feat tree.

In SWSE you can have trained skills (+5 to the roll). Base Attack is not a skill that can be trained as it won't be on ANY class list. Therefore, SWSE Skill Focus (Base Attack), which would give another +5, is also out of the question.

Strength (Str) is no longer used as a to-hit-ability (as some of you already suggested), as Dex is now the key ability modifier to the Base Attack Skill. Str only influences Damage, well, if melee/thrown weapons are employed. The loss of the to-hit-bonus of Str has to be compensated. What could work is some sort of Damage Reduction (DR) bonus. Dexterity helps you hit targets (as it's the key ability for the Base Attack skill), and helps you avoid getting hit by adding to your Reflex Defense. Strength helps you damage targets, and could help you avoid damage via some sort of Damage Reduction bonus. I haven't figured out the math but maybe your Strength bonus is also an unnamed DR bonus??? Perhaps another formula should be used as according to SWSE character level also adds to Damage, and levels improve much faster than Str or Abilities in general.
In line with the reasoning above, wearing armor does not make you harder to hit, it makes you harder to damage. Armor should not raise your Reflex Defense, but your Damage Reduction.
This would be giving WAY too much power to Dexterity, it already has quite a lot.
Furthermore, would Damage Reduction be something you should get from Constitution?

I like this idea. That way, you can be a Wizard for several levels and not get screwed with low BAB when you become a Fighter.

This is a good trend because you stay as a fighter to get the Martial Powers.
Even if it is not on any of the class-es skill list it will still be a skill.
There is a feat which makes a skill class skill. And then you can take trained +5 and skill focus +5 to it.
You cannot go around it, as then it is not a skill anymore.
Even if it is not on any of the class-es skill list it will still be a skill.
There is a feat which makes a skill class skill. And then you can take trained +5 and skill focus +5 to it.
You cannot go around it, as then it is not a skill anymore.

True. As it is a Skill, it's intimately linked to other instances of Skills (Stealth, Deception, ...).
But that new Feat to make it a Class-skill could have a hefty prerequisite, like maybe Character Level 15 or something.

Another option is to create some link between a Feat and the Skill, just like Force Sensitivity and Use the Force in SWSE. You could do that per weapon group. If you have Weapon Proficiency (pistols) or even Weapon Focus (pistols), you could get the Base Attack (pistols) Skill as a Class-skill. Then it would be allowed to get Skill Training and Skill Focus. (Of course the Feats on level 4,8,12, are hereby removed, as well as the Base Attack I, II, III, etc. Feat tree.)
The tricky thing is to balance it, of course. Getting these too early would spell doom on non-combat Characters (these would need serious rework).
Maybe some Character Optimizers can find more loopholes?

This whole thing would fit in nicely with more specialized Fighter types, that WotC is aiming at.

I like this idea. That way, you can be a Wizard for several levels and not get screwed with low BAB when you become a Fighter.
This is a good trend because you stay as a fighter to get the Martial Powers.

It gives you more flexibility, but this means more work for the designers to anticipate creative uses of these Skills.

Perhaps it's better to have an Arcane Spellcasting Feat tree, like Arcane Spellcasting I gives you the power to cast 1st level Arcane spells. This way Arcane Spellcasting is also removed from a Class-feature to a Feat tree.

This would be giving WAY too much power to Dexterity, it already has quite a lot.
Furthermore, would Damage Reduction be something you should get from Constitution?

Yes, balancing Abilities is quite difficult. Dex could be currently overpowered, for a hit always means damage (at least 1 Hitpoint). If Damage Reduction (via Armor and/or an Ability) were more commonplace, this would not be the case. But it does mean more frustration rolling dice as attacks might hit, but not damage a target.
I looked at Str instead of Con as it just got a little powerless because its to-hit bonus in melee had just be removed. (It has been reinstated, see my new comments above.) Actually I mirrored Str to Dex; Dex for attack and defense on the d20 to-hit roll, Str for attack and defense (Damage Reduction) on the (d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/...) to-damage roll.

Instead of going the Damage Reduction way, we can rename DR to Armor Defense. Shields can be subsumed into this category as well.