Unofficial 4th Edtion Conversion Guide

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Names: Most 3rd edition names are incompatible with 4th edition naming guidelines. Each race now has specific rules on vowel/consonant ratios, total length, and minimum apostrophes. Remove or add till your character name is compatible.

Race: If your race is standard and in the 4th ed. PHB, conversion is simple; use the same race. If your character's race is not in the PHB, use the tiefling.

Class: If you were a melee class beforehand, pick a melee class. If you were a caster, pick a caster. If you were playing the Bearded Freak from Complete Circus, slap yourself.

Level: Pick a number of about the same, unless your DM says something else. He probably will, because he's fed up with something.

Feats/Talents: This is your excuse to go bad and pick abilities that actually work together. Plus a chance to try something cool.

Skills: If you put a bunch of ranks into something, get good at those, duh. You'll probably end up short, so whine to your DM that those other skills are essential to your character concept till he gives them to you.

Spells: All of your good spells are nerfed. Check the character optimization boards to learn what spells are broken before your DM house rules them out.

Items: Your cool item no longer works. Complain to your DM and try to get even better stuff.
Seriously, do people expect a conversion guide to be better or more informative than this anyway?
Seriously, do people expect a conversion guide to be better or more informative than this anyway?

Most of us have simply accepted that they won't be putting out a conversion guide.
I think most people just plan on re-making the same charcter under 4E rules and then lvling them up to equal lvl. Sure it wont end up the exact same charcter; but geeze this is roleplaying, it doesnt have to be an exact science. If your class/race isnt covered yet in the phb either ask your dm to let you make it up, or just change to somthing close to it. I think my last three PC's were classes I made up, sure it was never perfectly balenced. Fun though.

(Need a spell check...)
Break your character down to concept. Rebuild with 4E. That is the conversion guide I will be using.
Names: Most 3rd edition names are incompatible with 4th edition naming guidelines. Each race now has specific rules on vowel/consonant ratios, total length, and minimum apostrophes. Remove or add till your character name is compatible.

Class: If you were a melee class beforehand, pick a melee class. If you were a caster, pick a caster. If you were playing the Bearded Freak from Complete Circus, slap yourself.

This was really, really funny!!!! You rock, Malraux!!!!