Rebate for old 3e book?

95 posts / 0 new
Last post
If the idea was to promote good will, there's far more cost effective, and better, ways to do it than a rebate program.

Yeah, a rebate program, from my perspective, is the worst way to generate goodwill. Its needless paperwork and effort, involves just enough steps to annoy me, and has a decent chance of stuff getting lost in the mail. If you want to make something cheaper, knock the price down or do one of those instant rebate things.
There, fixed that for you.

Videogame console make loose money on the console to instal a base to sell games and make third party publisher make game for their console one wich the console make makes money.
Except Nintendo, who sells its consoles at a small profit.
Either way, someone from wizards already commented that it might be a good idea. They appear to be in damage control mode. Like I said I am not in the publishing industry, but I think a one week rebate offer that translates into something like 5$ off, is going to get alot more sales than they might otherwise have. In fact I am sure many people will not take them up on the offer. They will just feel satisfied that wizards made a gesture of this kind and go ahead and buy the books. Otherwise they might hold out just to spite the company.

For a company in damage control mode this is an exceptional idea. For proof, I submit this. For Apple, it turned the extreme amount of negative publicity into instant positive reaction, and thus more sales. And that wasn't even a cash rebate, it was free stuff that they produce themselves.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
Personally, I don't see a need for a rebate. I've been playing 3.0, then 3.5, for years now, and I've managed to squeeze more enjoyment from most of my $30 books (if I bought them at retail price, which is rarely the case) than a lot of the $50 video games I play. I wish the shelf life on most of the material wasn't going to expire with the advent of 4.0, but I still feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Besides, Amazon is taking preorders on the new PHB for $20 now. How much more of a discount do you need?
Besides, Amazon is taking preorders on the new PHB for $20 now. How much more of a discount do you need?

Some people just aren't happy unless they can milk every dollar out of a company.

*shrugs*

I am considering it fair enough "good will" knowing WOTC is taking D&D to the next level and making a better version of the game I love.
I suspect that the only people not making money if you buy from Amazon is the FLGS or bookstore. I'd be willing to bet that Amazon is just selling right above the wholesale cost.
WHAT!

How many people here are on a payroll from Wotc, I think it would be an excellent to have some kind of rebate system. Because it could save me money and hassle.
But this is what I am hearing from everyone I know who plays the game. I do not know a single player who isn't angry. I am sure there are some out there who are happy a new edition is coming out. But my anger is far form unique.

It's no longer anger. My group of gamers just looked at each other, rolled their eys, chuckled, then "whatever" ed.

Not worth the emotional investment anymore.

Bykov.
When was the last Chess expansion?

(Hint: never.)

3D Chess?
That, my gaming friend, is very well said.

I haven't been gaming but maybe half of the years you have (came into the game in 1995), but completely agree with you. In fact, there's still WONDERFUL books out there that are editionless. From the Volo's Guides and Campaign sourcebooks from 2nd edition to the numerous settings (just a bit of work to have new planescape material and Dark Sun, the fluff is all there) out there, there's stories to be told that haven't been. I purchase books for entertainment I can't get with movies, plays, or concerts (even though i still enjoy those!). I purchase many gaming books to fill my imagination. Memories, fluff, maps, and descriptions never grow old.

Exactly! It's not so much about what you've got as much as how you use it! Funny you mention Planescape as I'm currently running a Planescape campaign using the 3.5 rules modified by my own personal rule system, which is a mish-mash of 1st through 3.5 edition stuff. I kept what we liked and dumped what we didn't.

As you've pointed out, "Memories, fluff, maps, and descriptions never grow old." Couldn't have put that better!;)
But this is what I am hearing from everyone I know who plays the game. I do not know a single player who isn't angry. I am sure there are some out there who are happy a new edition is coming out. But my anger is far form unique.

Professorpain, if everyone you know is angry about 4E then you should have no problem finding a group willing and eager to stick with 3.5 so won't need to worry about rebates or buying the new edition. :D

Im thrilled about the new edition even though I have so many books from 3rd edition. We will have the OPTION to switch up to 4th. If you like 3rd, keep playing it. Im sure there are enough books out already to keep you playing it for 30 years. Some people still like 1st edition. More power to them, but I want to see these slick rules Ive been hearing so much about, sit down at a table with my gaming pals, and throw some dice, just like when we started playing 3rd.
I think it would be nice if WOTC encourage their loyal customer to switch to 4e with a rebate program where you send them back old 3e book and recieve in exange a rebate that can be applied on the purchase of the basic core 4e edition book.

What do you think?

I think it's a stupid idea. The day WoTC does this is the day that music companies start giving out rebates for brand-new CD's if you give them old 8-track tapes and cassettes.