Is it still d20 system?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Excuse my ignorance, but is4e still going to use the d20 system? If not, what will happen to it?
Excuse my ignorance, but is4e still going to use the d20 system? If not, what will happen to it?

Yes.

Think of 3rd Edition as d20 System v1.0, 3.5 as v1.5, and 4th as v2.0.

Also, you rock simply for having that name. I think I needs me a secret weapon... like a double-decker bologna sandwich (think of all the calories!).
ZE GAME WILL REMAIN ZE SAME!
Seriously, I really doubt that? ;)

If it would, there wouldn't be a new edition.
Lands of the Barbarian Kings Campaign Setting - http://barbaripedia.eu
Seriously, I really doubt that? ;)

If it would, there wouldn't be a new edition.

The core mechanics are the same. The rest is just window dressing. I've seen new editions in the past for less.

OK, thank goodness. I was afraid that a non-d20 D&D4 would slowly kill the other d20 systems.

With that solved, I now have no real problem with 4e.
If you count “roll a d20, add modifiers, big numbers are better” then yes, it will still be d20.

If you count “well I could drop a smart/strong hero, a barbarian, and a jedi into an encounter and they all work the same for the most part” as d20, you may be in for a bit of a disappointment, as a few core things will be changed.

Part of the allure of d20 is that for the most part everything was compatible. If that was still the case they wouldn’t be advocating that you completely reboot your campaign instead of converting.

(yes, I know they come from different power levels, it’s an example)
I thought that advice was just to sell more 4e copies, since they know it'll be a hard sell in many groups...
Think of 3rd Edition as d20 System v1.0, 3.5 as v1.5, and 4th as v2.0.

I think it's more like this:
3rd Edition=d20 v1.0
d20 Modern=d20 v1.1
v3.5=d20 v1.5
Saga Edition=d20 v2.0
4th Edition=d20 v2.x

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

Actually it is my understanding that they are moving to the D1 system. All rolls rolls wil be made by rolling a one sided die (aka a marble)

Further changes will include the addition of "Pose Heroically" and "Ululate" to the skills list, combat will be decided by Thumb Wrestling, and the designated hitter rule will finally be in place, having been considered since second edition.

A starter adventure will be included with the DMG, wherein our band of heroes will be required to acquire a shrubbery then go out and cut down the tallest tree in the forest with...a...herrrrrring. This sample adventure, BTW, is why there are no druids in the PHB.
Sign In to post comments