Action Points are Core

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
According to the latest podcast, we can expect to see action points as a core resource for players in 4e. However, they are not the same as the Eberron action points or Saga Force Points. So, speculate away. How do you think they've changed?
Wild guess. Perhaps they will be available on a per day or per encounter basis.
Wild guess. Perhaps they will be available on a per day or per encounter basis.

Or the SWSE way: They replenish and increase in number when you level. I like that system, personally.

Or the Faith Point mechanic: You get points for doing certain in-character things, but once they're gone they're gone -- until you earn more. They could be keyed to personality, class, race, or whatever.
Sounds almost like the M&M Hero Point mechanic. The more 'heroic' things you do, the more hero points you earn. Hero points can be spend doing cool things like increasing the rank of a power (damage, DC save against, etc), minor scene editing, non-natural 20 on a check/roll, recover from fatigue, use a power you don't have, and many other cool things.

If they're pulling form the broader OGL community of games, I'm hoping they go that route.
It was about time. Practically every rpg already has them, and they are a good rule and easy to implement.
Since 4e previews had re-rolls for a lot of stuff, I expect that action points might get you a reroll too. And I'm sure they'll be used to "recharge your battery", i.e. get more uses per day/encounter of abilities.
Based upon the podcast, they said they would be very different from what they are now. I am guessing by this that they won't be a simple Roll and Add, nor a simple Use for More Attempts.

Some possible uses of the action points, based upon the fact that the designers wouldn't want to go back to the old way:

1) Increase your effective character or class level for an ability. You really need to kill the large group of minions, so you boost your fireball to do an additional 4d6 damage by spending one or more action points.

2) Give an automatic success to a skill check. You really need to convince the major of the city that there is an underground network of drow about to attack the city. You fail your Persuasion roll but quickly spend an action point.

3) Give an automatic saving throw (or automatic reroll). You have just failed that save against the opponent's flesh to stone effect and if you are out of combat the group fails. You spend your action point to shrug off the effects.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head for using Action Points in a more encounter changing way.

Harliquinn
2) Give an automatic success to a skill check. You really need to convince the major of the city that there is an underground network of drow about to attack the city. You fail your Persuasion roll but quickly spend an action point.

3) Give an automatic saving throw (or automatic reroll). You have just failed that save against the opponent's flesh to stone effect and if you are out of combat the group fails. You spend your action point to shrug off the effects.

These should be uses for a rarer point, like SW Saga's Destiny points, rather than the often plentiful Action/Force Points.
At the risk of starting a "Me Too" trend...

I would suggest the M&M system is the way to go.
Or, it could do what James Wyatt had said at Gen Con they would do, give you another action. I know he wassn't supposed to say it cause he got a dirty look from someone higher than him (Bill Slavesick[sp?] I think) and then changed the subject quickly.
Mmmmm.... Another action. He didn't by any chance specify what kind of action or if that was available to everybody did he?
On accumulation:
Mike Mearls is on the project so it is possible they will be like tokens from Iron Heroes.
Also, the factotum is a fairly recent class that had access to something similar- inspiration points. This is the reason I was thinking of a per day mechanic.
Mmmmm.... Another action. He didn't by any chance specify what kind of action or if that was available to everybody did he?
On accumulation:
Mike Mearls is on the project so it is possible they will be like tokens from Iron Heroes.
Also, the factotum is a fairly recent class that had access to something similar- inspiration points. This is the reason I was thinking of a per day mechanic.

That was the beginning and ending of that discussion. I think he said more than he was supposed to.
It is possible that is not finalized at this point. It is something to think about though.
I hope against all hope that they will be given out at least per session. Per level action dice just don't get used, because you may need them later.
I like Action Points too. I also liked the Drama Dice from 7th Sea.
I would rather the "faith feat" and faith points from the coplete divine.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I'm betting that spells that require XP expenditure now will require AP expenditure in 4th. Its a reasonable way to balance the spells that are too go to cast often.
Maybe they will be used like the Factotum's points. To enhance a skill, boost an Attack Bonus or execute a class feature.
We use Actions Points in our current campaign and they can be used for anything. Each Action Point equals 1d6 and you can add them any time you want (even multiple Action Points on a single die roll). Fighters who needed to land that hit desperately have used them on attack rolls. We had a ranger take a massive hit and almost die while still facing raging barbarians. So I used an Action Die to add 1d6 on top of my normal Cure Light Wounds spell (1d8+2 atm).

We pick up a new Action Point every session and we can save them or use them as we please. They do not regenerate though other than getting 1 more at the beginning of each game session.
If they were like Conviction points in Ryan Stoughton's "Raising the Stakes" rules for d20 that would be very cool (go to enworld forums if you want to to check them out).

The purpose should be to let players make their characters shine and they should be rationed in a way that ensures players choose when to shine but that no one shines always, instead shining is distributed around the table.