To feat or not to feat that is the question

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I keep hearing talent trees and then i hear feats.. are they going to have both or just one.. and do you think its a good idea to have just one or the other or both??.. just wanna know what people think
I keep hearing talent trees and then i hear feats.. are they going to have both or just one.. and do you think its a good idea to have just one or the other or both??.. just wanna know what people think

Talent trees are just a way to allow you to choose what class features you get in what order. Feats are as they always have been--tricks anybody can learn.

They absolutely fill similar but distinctly separate roles, and both have a place in D&D. See Star Wars Saga Edition, for example.

They have not yet officially said how skills/feats/abilities will be broken up in 4e. Most people are assuming that they are going towards talents since they have said that Star Wars Saga was a major influence. But it has not been explained exactly what that means, or how the new characters will be written up. So most people are still talking in terms of 3e feats, even though they are not going to be exactly the same thing.

I'm starting to get a bit irked that they have not put anything significant about the mechanics out yet. They are dribbling bits about the campaign background out, but that is far less important then the hard mechanics.

Considering the timing, they must have most of it written already and are just working over the balance and filling in the details. Even if they didn't want to give out anything major, showing us the statistics and powers of a first level fighter even would give us a better idea what we are talking about.

Jay
Feats will be there, but they want those feats to go towards personalising the character. I doubt they'll put in an exact replica of the Saga talent tree system, but something similar.

I've heard mention of 'branching choices', in that at certain times, you decide whether to take your PC down one development road or another. How that will pan out, I can only guess.
Feats will be there, but they want those feats to go towards personalising the character. I doubt they'll put in an exact replica of the Saga talent tree system, but something similar.

I've heard mention of 'branching choices', in that at certain times, you decide whether to take your PC down one development road or another. How that will pan out, I can only guess.

That kind of reminds of the old game, where IIRC at Name level (9th for you whippersnappers) you had a chance to choose between being a Landowner, a Paladin, or a Ranger.
IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/HEXd.gif)
That kind of reminds of the old game, where IIRC at Name level (9th for you whippersnappers) you had a chance to choose between being a Landowner, a Paladin, or a Ranger.

I remember Name level. I think it was in those Mentzer boxed sets, and it may have been in earlier ones.
4e is very likely to have both Feats and Talent Trees. It's not a matter of "one or the other".
How to explain it at a very basic level?

Let's say you're a fighter. Then your talent tree defines you as a fighter, and your feats set you apart from other fighters.

One is about the archetype, the other about individuality.
To me it sounds like talent trees will define the type of fighter you are, and feats will allow you to individualize that fighter.

Is the thinking here that once you choose a talent tree you'll have to stick with that talent tree or will you be able to pick a little from one talent tree and a little from another talent tree as you level just like the MMO's?
To me it sounds like talent trees will define the type of fighter you are, and feats will allow you to individualize that fighter.

Is the thinking here that once you choose a talent tree you'll have to stick with that talent tree or will you be able to pick a little from one talent tree and a little from another talent tree as you level just like the MMO's?

In SWSE, you can pick from any talent tree for your class, but some talents have prerequisites that must be met. I'd hope that 4e would do the same, because that would mean way more opportunities for customization -- and it makes sense, because then they could just publish new supplemental talent trees instead of cranking out a hundred new "base classes".

I'm kind of playing catch up with this 4e stuff: have they said whether or not all talent trees will be class-specific, or will there be ones that members of any class can pick from?
In SWSE, you can pick from any talent tree for your class, but some talents have prerequisites that must be met. I'd hope that 4e would do the same, because that would mean way more opportunities for customization -- and it makes sense, because then they could just publish new supplemental talent trees instead of cranking out a hundred new "base classes".

I'm kind of playing catch up with this 4e stuff: have they said whether or not all talent trees will be class-specific, or will there be ones that members of any class can pick from.

That makes sense to me. From what I have heard so far is that talent trees are class specific.

Making ones that any class can pick from might be a way of improving the multi-class option though.
Making ones that any class can pick from might be a way of improving the multi-class option though.

I'm thinking too that they'd be a great way to customize a campaign -- i.e., "members of the Order of the Mystical MacGuffin, regardless of class, have access to this particular talent tree" -- kind of like prestige classes were supposed to do.
First of all, I hope they have both.

Second, the talent trees I've heard about are class abilities.