Saga, Force Powers and Martial Maneuvers

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So what do you think the possibility of Martial Maneuvers (similar to what ToB did) will be handled the way Force Powers are in Saga. That is to say, there will be a Martial Training feat similar to Force Training. Once you have this you gain Maneuvers which work similar to the way Force Powers work. i.e. roll a Martial Lore skill check (new skill or something similarly named) to activate the Maneuver. Once used the Maneuver is unavailable for the rest of the encounter (like Force Powers are).

Thoughts?
I think that's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

There's already a Martial Study feat in ToB.

We already know Fighters will learn maneuvers with specific weapons (as opposed to ToB's "school" system.)

There's bound to be conditions to the system that will be based upon rules/mechanics not yet revealed, but... yeah... Martial Study feat... maneuver cards... 9 more months in the oven...
Stay Frosty! - Shado
I think that's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

There's already a Martial Study feat in ToB.

We already know Fighters will learn maneuvers with specific weapons (as opposed to ToB's "school" system.)

There's bound to be conditions to the system that will be based upon rules/mechanics not yet revealed, but... yeah... Martial Study feat... maneuver cards... 9 more months in the oven...

Yep, maneuvers will definitely be in. I was asking about HOW they will be used. I'm thinking that it will be like the way Saga handles Force Powers.
Well, what I was trying to point out, in part, was that Martial Maneuvers can already be gained in the same manner in the ToB.
Stay Frosty! - Shado
Well, what I was trying to point out, in part, was that Martial Maneuvers can already be gained in the same manner in the ToB.

Yep, I was following you. But that was going to be one maneuver at the cost of one feat. I was thinking more along the lines of having one Martial Study feat grant the use of 1+Ability Modifier Maneuvers.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the reason I was asking this was because I am trying to put together a pseudo 4e preview game based off the Saga rules. I was thinking of using this mechanic as an option for the PC's.
Martial Study feat, sure. I just don't know about a skill needed to use/activate the maneuvers. It's sounds a lot like they want to reduce extra rolls where they can, and making the maneuvers simpler to use would be the way to go.

So maneuvers will likely be tied to skills, or supersede them, like for instance the Surge power in Saga, gives you the equivalent of a running start for Jumps.
I think fighters will get maneuvers through Trait trees. We've already been told that fighters can do things with their weapons that other classes can't -- sounds like class-specific Traits to me.