rules and fluff

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
When the new phb is out WOTC needs to make a clear distinction between rules and fluff. Obviously some people are not smart enough to tell the difference. Yes a wizards does research to learn spells, but this is not roleplayed, nor is a fighter's practicing roleplayed to learn feats, except under the optional training rules.
I am suggesting that WOTC have in a RULES and then proceed to give the rules, and then FLUFF(this is happening in the background and does not affect gameplay)so that people who are behind the learning curve don't have to think so much.
When the new phb is out WOTC needs to make a clear distinction between rules and fluff. Obviously some people are not smart enough to tell the difference. Yes a wizards does research to learn spells, but this is not roleplayed, nor is a fighter's practicing roleplayed to learn feats, except under the optional training rules.
I am suggesting that WOTC have in a RULES and then proceed to give the rules, and then FLUFF(this is happening in the background and does not affect gameplay)so that people who are behind the learning curve don't have to think so much.

Seconded, also it allows for a creative dm to change things, with out having to makeup/alter mechanics
The essential theme song- Get a little bit a fluff da' fluff, get a little bit a fluff da' fluff! (ooh yeah) Repeat Unless noted otherwise every thing I post is my opinion, and probably should be taken as tongue in cheek any way.
I have to agree with this as well though WotC may want to call it "Rules & Flavor". Keeping the action going is usually a good thing as long as you can avoid the dreaded HACK'N SLASH type of game. I would also like to add that even though many people I have seen playing D&D do the "kill the monster, grab his treasure, level up" kind of thing, it would be nice to see 4th Ed. have a better sort of reward system in print for Roleplaying rewards. Example, some goodly rangerly type does something in the course of an adventure that protects the forest (or whatever wildlands he/she adventures in). Or a rogue actually roleplays a good bluff (rather than making a lucky d20 roll) to convince the city guard that he's an undercover agent of the crown, not a burgler. There should be well defined guidelines to this end. The 3.5 DMG is based more on XPs for killing monsters &/or bad guy NPCs.
I have to agree with this as well though WotC may want to call it "Rules & Flavor". Keeping the action going is usually a good thing as long as you can avoid the dreaded HACK'N SLASH type of game. I would also like to add that even though many people I have seen playing D&D do the "kill the monster, grab his treasure, level up" kind of thing, it would be nice to see 4th Ed. have a better sort of reward system in print for Roleplaying rewards. Example, some goodly rangerly type does something in the course of an adventure that protects the forest (or whatever wildlands he/she adventures in). Or a rogue actually roleplays a good bluff (rather than making a lucky d20 roll) to convince the city guard that he's an undercover agent of the crown, not a burgler. There should be well defined guidelines to this end. The 3.5 DMG is based more on XPs for killing monsters &/or bad guy NPCs.

I was really commenting on making it 100% clear on which parts of the PHB should be taken as literal(rules), and which parts are just explaining how things work, and are not rules, because some things can be misinterpreted as rules when they are just there to tell you why the character gets better at certain things(examples in my first post).
I do think your idea has merit. There are some people who do like the roleplaying, just as much as the battles, and even though I will admit to being more of a slasher, it is strange that roleplaying is not being rewarded in a roleplaying game, unless you get a DM who does give XP for roleplaying, but there are no rules for it.
I reward my players, if they do something creative so the ones that like to roleplay will get something more out of it, and it encourages the others to get more into the game if they see someone give me a backstory and I incorporate it into the campaign and that person gets some weapon or other gift.
Sign In to post comments