An idea for standardizing rules (first posted in the old forums?)

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I remember in the first incarnation of these boards, buried somewhere (I think in the Core Books thread) somebody introduced what I thought was a great idea. I can't remember who. I do apologize for that and I don't mean to take credit for this idea, but I think it's something that should be implemented.

IIRC, it went something like this:

Certain effects, especially ones that come up often, would be defined in the rules in and of themselves. 3E already has this to a certain extent, with "fatigued", "stunned", etc. but the poster had the idea to expand this list to things like "charm", so that Charm Person could read more like this:

Charm Person
Enchantment
Sor/Wiz 1
Duration: 1 hour/level

Target Humanoid is Charmed, Will Negates.

And because charm is defined in the rules, the spell description doesn't have to go into more depth that that, and monsters like the Succubus don't have to reference a spell, and once the DM memorizes what "Charm" means, it's all pretty easy.

The post went into alot more detail and had more examples, but I don't remember everything. I used Search, but I couldn't find it. Maybe that person will see this and walk us through it again.

Or, we can just discuss similar ideas.
It's an interesting suggestion. I suspect a lot of things like stun, fatigue, the various fear effects, poison and so on will be rolled into a condition track similar to that of SWSE, but that just means your idea can be implemented while still ending up with fewer, rather than more, such conditions defined in the rules. That in turn would make all such conditions easier to remember.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011