Conversion

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering about converting my 3.5 edition campaign to 4.0th edition. I remember with my second edition campaign that I found the conversions so cumbersome, mainly because 3.0 fixed so much, that I was better off waiting to finish my current campaign than converting mid stride. Will that be the same for the changes in 4.0th or will conversion be just some differences to how the rules work and some adjusting of pc abilities, but nothing heavily on the actual character sheet?
In one of the GenCon podcasts (don't remember which one), the designer being interviewed acknowledged that the 3E conversion document wasn't really that helpful. There are just too many differences between the editions. And for 4E, with so much more "crunchy" things to change over, how you going to make a document to help people convert all of their non-core but "official" WotC material over to a new edition?

It sounds like the recommendation is going to be: keep playing 3E for now, wrap up your campaign, then start over with 1st level characters in a new 4E campaign. There probably won't be a 4E conversion doc this time around.
go to this interview with the lead designer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtd1qAwGVeU&mode=user&search=

After hearing soo many people ask for a conversion document, he is considering an idea of a guide of some sort, but not a "3.x STR of X = 4e STR of Y" kind of thing.
I think converting all the strange variations of creatures and classes will be rough, but PC's won't be so hard as long as their builds are fairly simple. The more extravagant feats and prestige classes probably won't have 4e equivalents at the start, but there's nothing stopping us from coming up with our own attempts to convert them (bleh).
Has anyone heard how the RPGA is going to do their conversion? Are they simply going to scrap every single character and inform them to start again. I can only imagine the sheer amount of time that will take in approving every single character's?
Well, considering the RPGA will be ending Living greyhawk and phasing in Living Forgotten Realms, I think it's a safe bet that new characters will be required.
Has anyone stated whether or not Star Wars Sage Edition is compatible with 4.0 or are they going to re-release a new star wars edition to work with the new edition of D&D (monster manuals, feats, & the like)?
Has anyone stated whether or not Star Wars Sage Edition is compatible with 4.0 or are they going to re-release a new star wars edition to work with the new edition of D&D (monster manuals, feats, & the like)?

4th edition began development in 2005. In the intervening time, they spun off the "current" systems of 4th edition and refined them for Star Wars: Saga Edition.

So, in a sense, Saga is a preview of where 4th edition's development was a year ago.

And no, they won't be updating it again (right away... we might see a 4th edition SW d20 game sometime, but not for a few years at least).
Well, here's a start if you want for 3.5 characters to 4e

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=925600

Though be nice if someone kept it up on the boards, and it could be updated as 4e evolved and more was set in stone about it.
I can't remember which developer said it but this is the best conversion guide that I have seen and/or heard of.

Take your character concept. Strip away the 3/3.5E mechanics. Rebuild from scratch with 4E.

And I honestly think that is the only conversion guide we are ever going to see.
no, they won't be updating it again (right away... we might see a 4th edition SW d20 game sometime, but not for a few years at least).

I would have to ask, "Why did they bother releasing Saga's Edition, if they already had plans to scrap it for another edition in like 2 years?" And if they are planning to replace it, then they definitely have no plans to support it.

Well, if they are replacing it then they got my money and the last laugh. But if it is true, then I will not be buying another Star Wars book ever. I'll simply finish my current campaign and do without.
Is RPGA going to set up some sort of official "virtual gaming table" process for members to play online?
Well, if they are replacing it then they got my money and the last laugh. But if it is true, then I will not be buying another Star Wars book ever. I'll simply finish my current campaign and do without.

I doubt this is the case BUT if it is, you can guarantee I will NOT be buying it either. SAGA's support is slow in the coming and if I found out the reason was because they were just planning to do a new edition anyways, I would be pretty peeved about that.
Is RPGA going to set up some sort of official "virtual gaming table" process for members to play online?

D&D Insider's Gaming Table. Not sure how the RPGA will incorporate it.
D&D Insider's Gaming Table. Not sure how the RPGA will incorporate it.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was asking. Will RPGA use the virtual game table and run campaigns over the Internet on it?