a real 4e default campaign setting thread

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Concerning the possibility of a default campaign setting for 4e.What would you like to see:

1) NO default campaign setting.Keep it generic n' open.
2) Eberron.
3) Forgotten Realms.
4) Greyhawk.
5) A brand new setting.

I for one would prefer choice #1.But if I had to choose one it'd be #2:Eberron. Though any thought's of dropping a core race for Tieflings, would have to be kicked to the curb. That & they'd have to include ALL the new Core races from Eberron to the Core 4e PHB.
Lucifer the Puritan
Minimally present default setting. Just enough of a framework to get novice DMs started on world creation without having to start from scratch. The degree of presence of the Grayhawk setting in the 3.5 core books was right about spot-on, actually.
I found interesting the D&D teams 'Points of Light' article stating that DnD 4e was now going to look a certain way.

I thought it was interesting because the current description of several of the campaign worlds is very developed and not fully in agreement with the stated article.

What will happen to the previous marketed campaigns and their existing road maps?

The Realms is scheduled for an update in August of 2008 with a relaunch book. That suggests they are going to have to work pretty close with the 4e project to have the DM book release in July and the Realms book come out the next month.

Just some thoughts on the situation.
Concerning the possibility of a default campaign setting for 4e.What would you like to see:

1) NO default campaign setting.Keep it generic n' open.
2) Eberron.
3) Forgotten Realms.
4) Greyhawk.
5) A brand new setting.

I for one would prefer choice #1.But if I had to choose one it'd be #2:Eberron. Though any thought's of dropping a core race for Tieflings, would have to be kicked to the curb. That & they'd have to include ALL the new Core races from Eberron to the Core 4e PHB.
Lucifer the Puritan

I'm with you. #1 would be my preference but I really LOVE Eberron. I have to say I am mildly interested in this points of light thing after reading that little blurb about it. Nothing like being alone in the dark...
My love of Eberron is inversely proportional to my dislike (pathological and unreasoning though it may be) of the Forgotten Realms.

Greyhawk holds a special place in my cold, dark heart.

That said, I'd prefer as little actual setting as possible in the rules.
I never liked Forgotten Realms but feel it can be improved so it's something of quality. I do not like Eberron either, because it thieves from the first private campaign setting ever played in D&D (only recently published in large) Dave Arneson's Blackmoor -- and I'm sure the contest was rigged because the winner was announced shortly after Arneson's public release of Blackmoor as a public game setting.

What I'd prefer be the core game setting is Greyhawk or Mystara. If the former, there should be a sequential release of regional books. The work done by players in the Living Greyhawk campaign is good and worthwhile.

I do hope that the popular settings of Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Planescape, and Spelljammer be published as well, although Spelljammer would seem to me to be best opened again as a system that could be applied to any setting perhaps even meriting a normal core book supplement with "spelljammers" being part and parcel of every campaign world.
I love to see a brand new setting in the sense of a giant map where all the new published adventures fit in to. Leave most of it up to the DM for design but enough so that a DM without ton's of time on his/her hands could run a game in an actual cohesive setting.
I would love to see Greyhawk become the default setting again. At this point it is already the "Vanilla D&D" so why try and reinvent the wheel. It also would provide at least some context for the novice to jump in.

That being said if being the default setting keeps it from getting a book like the FRCS or ECS again then I vote for the bland "points of light" setting we are probably going to get.
I'm quite sure to have read it had allready been established, that there will be no core setting in 4th Ed.
Lands of the Barbarian Kings Campaign Setting - http://barbaripedia.eu
Greyhawk default setting... After all; people must know who's Mordenkainen, Bigby, Tenser and all the others, no?
furthermore I want the game to be toned down quite a bit. Less Anime/X-men/Video Game and more Tolkein/Robin Hood/King Arthur/Arabian Nights
As a generic setting, I'd prefer #1. In addition, I'd love to see Planescape updated.

Oh, and the points of light sounds a lot like Swordlands, which is, oddly enough, a barely fleshed out setting intended to be the hazy background of a world the DM builds. Sounds kinda similar
I'd prefer #1 - No default setting.

But if they HAVE to make vauge references in the core material to some specific world then make it Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms. Or maybe both. Why not Ebberon? Because it simply doesn't have the weight of years behind it. Both Greyhawk & the Realms are well known brands with 20-30+ years & 3 editions of recognition built up.
If Ebberon survives into 5th ed THEN maybe I'd argue for mentioning it in core product....
In any event any mention of these various campaign settings should be kept fairly light. Sure, let them be mentioned in flavour text, maybe examples & spell/item names. But leave it so that it doesn't detract from the basics of the game. After all, adding excess detail is what future books are all about. And you surely don't think that WoTC will forgo printing any of those, do you?
Sign In to post comments