Thread regarding "points of light"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I couldn't find the appropriate place to post this comment. This is directly related to the 4E default campaign setting, "points of light" article found here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070829a

Please note that this is not political, it is about events in the distant past. It is simply indicating a recent famous source of the phrase "points of light."

George Bush, 1988 republican convention wrote:
For we’re a nation of community; of thousands and tens of thousands of ethnic, religious, social, business, labor union, neighborhood, regional and other organizations, all of them varied, voluntary and unique.

This is America: the Knights of Columbus, the Grange, Hadassah, the Disabled American Veterans, the Order of Ahepa, the Business and Professional Women of America, the union hall, the Bible study group, LULAC, "Holy Name" - a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky.

George Bush, 1989 inaugural address upon being elected president of the USA wrote:
I have spoken of a thousand points of light, of all the community organizations that are spread like stars throughout the Nation, doing good. We will work hand in hand, encouraging, sometimes leading, sometimes being led, rewarding. We will work on this in the White House, in the Cabinet agencies. I will go to the people and the programs that are the brighter points of light, and I will ask every member of my government to become involved. The old ideas are new again because they are not old, they are timeless: duty, sacrifice, commitment, and a patriotism that finds its expression in taking part and pitching in.

Neil Young wrote:
Rockin' In The Free World
--------
There's colors on the street
Red, white and blue
People shufflin' their feet
People sleepin' in their shoes
But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it, any way I can.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world
Keep on rockin' in the free world.

I see a woman in the night
With a baby in her hand
Under an old street light
Near a garbage can
Now she puts the kid away, and she's gone to get a hit
She hates her life, and what she's done to it
There's one more kid that will never go to school
Never get to fall in love, never get to be cool.

We got a thousand points of light
For the homeless man
We got a kinder, gentler,
Machine gun hand
We got department stores and toilet paper
Got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer
Got a man of the people, says keep hope alive
Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.

Looking at those quotes again for the first time in about 17 years, it strikes me as having very little to do with the 4E default setting.

I think some other famous political phrases would also make excellent campaign settings:

"Veni Vidi Vici"
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
"Ask not what your country can do for you"
"we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"
It's a fairly standard metaphor used for when good things are scattered throughout a mostly bad environment. I seriously doubt any of those sources were referenced when writing the article.
It's a fairly standard metaphor used for when good things are scattered throughout a mostly bad environment. I seriously doubt any of those sources were referenced when writing the article.

Citation or source please?
Citation or source please?

Citation or source for what? Just google "points of light."

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

When I google "points of light", the first 50 hits are references to volunteer organizations, leadership institutes, the Bush speech, and some sales stuff. Are you, White Sorcerer, saying that I am correct?

When I google +"Points of light" +Fantasy +rpg I only see references to some space-faring RPGs and references to this current 4E default setting.

Please provide a citation to "Points of light" as a common metaphor for fantasy worlds. To be accurate, you should find a reference pre-dating the 1989 inaugural speech by George Bush.

Does the Wilderlands of High Fantasy use this in its original form by Judges Guild? What about a FR sourcebook published in the mid 80s? How about a book by Robert E. Howard or Michael Moorcock published in the 60s? I'll accept any of those kinds of sources. I am not aware of any of them myself.

I could just as easily say "Speak softly and carry a big stick" is a common reference to 2-handed weapon wielding barbarians that use CHA as a dump stat... but that would be incorrect... the origination of that phrase became famous with a speech by Theodore Roosevelt.
Its a metaphor...no citation is needed. But, its claimed that Bush did coin the phrase, "Not only was the phrase coined by Bush (or rather his celebrated speechwriter Peggy Noonan)..."
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1554/is_n1_v19/ai_13571827
I don't really agree with this assesment though, but I don't have time to find proof to refute it. MatthiasKaiser is correct. It's just a metaphor and has nothing to do directly with a fantasy/sci-fi genre. Its not describing a campaign theme like your other suggestions are doing (Veni, Vedi, Vici!), but rather the state of affairs in the world...there are pockets of civilization surrounded by monster infested wilderness, like points of light in the darkness.
Notice that Bush's speach used the term "a thousand points of light" The article you mention has a slight variation on that but it should be enough to be able to see that it is not refering to Bush's speach.

While it is arguable that the writer of that article could have used that particular metaphor because he had heard the phrase tossed around so much that it just stuck.

He could just have easily used the phrase "like pinholes in the curtain of night" and called to mind the first Highlander movie.

but basically you are reading WAY to much into it. It was a use of a metaphor to get a point across.
Looking at those quotes again for the first time in about 17 years, it strikes me as having very little to do with the 4E default setting.

The use of the term in the article has precisely two things to do with any of what you referenced: "****" and "all".

You post makes about as much sense as suggesting Ronald Reagan's "Tear down this wall!" is a Pink Floyd reference.
The new setting is not just talking about "points of light." It's also talking about "a dangerous world." Obviously, this is in reference to the ill-fated 1992 Dangerous World Tour by Michael Jackson, when the controversial allegations against him started. Coincidence? I think not.

Also, when you play the last D&D podcast backwards, you can hear "Bill Slaviscek is dead" repeated several times.
Thanks for the interesting commentary, everyone.

Well sure, if you're looking at the phrase in that context.

"Veni Vidi Vici"
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
"Ask not what your country can do for you"
"we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

I don't see how any of those describe a campaign world as opposed to just a campaign.

"Points of light," however, does. Vast wilderness, without a unified civilization. Points of light scattered across a big, dark, dangerous world.

It's not like the words "points of light" can't be used again in a different context if someone already used them for another purpose, right?

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.