4E Organized Play

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here’s the thread to share your thoughts and ideas about the 4E Organized Play programs.
Maybe there could be a way you could find and play organized games like Living Greyhawk or Xen'drik Expeditions online through the Game Table tool?
Maybe there could be a way you could find and play organized games like Living Greyhawk or Xen'drik Expeditions online through the Game Table tool?

An intriguing idea.
I'd be interested in seeing some sort of Living Planescape. Especially with some of the events that have come about during 3e (For example, the death of the Hag Countess).
RPGA needs an airtight foolproof system for character continuity across editions.
woot?
Do not kill Living Greyhawk.
RPGA needs an airtight foolproof system for character continuity across editions.

Having lived through Living City 3e conversion, several LG 3.5 conversions I can say without a doubt... forget it. Just restart everything from 0. Otherwise it is a royal pain in the butt.

My two coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
AKA Saracenus
Will next years GenCon support both systems or only one?
Brian (Seracenus)! Nice to see you're following this as closely as I am!

Anyways, what'll happen to Living Greyhawk?

-Matt
Do not kill Living Greyhawk.

Hear Hear!
Yeah An announcement on RPGA, and especially Living greyhawk really should be handeled ASAP. Even if its just a hey your 13thlvl blah blah blah just got nuked, as of such and such date when we are switching rpga to 4e.
It seems a bad omen when on the D&D home page, the RPGA section of the lefthand sidebar links to Eberron, Forgotten Realms, D&D Miniatures . . . but not Living Greyhawk.
It seems a bad omen when on the D&D home page, the RPGA section of the lefthand sidebar links to Eberron, Forgotten Realms, D&D Miniatures . . . but not Living Greyhawk.

Despite not playing LG, I'd feel really bad if they nuked it just like that. It is my sincere wish that it be continued, since its been with us for so long.
With Forgotten Realms being placed back into mainstream support, can we expect Living City to make a return?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
With Forgotten Realms being placed back into mainstream support, can we expect Living City to make a return?

I don't think they'd do that. Living Greyhawk and Living City were around at the same time right after 3e came out. LG came out and put LC to shame in play numbers. If they retire Living Greyhawk there is even less reason to bring back Living City.

If they retire LG and want to have something as popular as LG then the RPGA needs to have a similar geographically dispersed campaign with regions associated with real world places. You can't do that with Living City.
I'd be for a Living Hackmaster so it's said (several times) on the boards, but that's just me.

Alright then, LG shouldn't be going anywhere I hope. It'd be nice to see a little bit of shaking up, like making Kobolds a core PC race in 4th Edition (4ed), known for they're native home of the Shield Lands....

The community is really what makes LG work though, the people write the mods, the people review them and submit them, and wizards takes those and distributes them to other players who run them at home/work/school/conventions/etc. So long as there are thousands of people who want to enjoy a good old adventure in Greyhawk I don't see any logical recourse for them to change that. I wouldn't be against other living campaigns coming up and trying them out, but everyone here in MN is so anti-Eberron it makes me sad. I like Ebby.
What I don't understand is why WotC keeps coming out with level-bumped campaigns. I know hundreds of players who are avid DnD players and of those a handful - perhaps a dozen - tolerate Eberron because they like the setting but /none/ - let me reiterate 0/200+ /like/ level bumps.

Several of us were quite excited about Saga until ... level-bumped campaign. What a let down...

I hope that whatever campaigns evolve around 4th edition WotC will finally recognize that role players like to play their characters, not have them mysteriously morph into higher level PCs.

Dan
What I don't understand is why WotC keeps coming out with level-bumped campaigns.

I agree. I can only speculate what the philisophy behind WotC's thinking is, but I think after Living Greyhawk got going RPGA/WotC wanted much more control in the direction of the campaign's stories and plots.
Quote from "Inquest Gamer"..
And yes, Wizards does recommend you begin new campaigns with Fourth Edition. “It’s not going to be as huge a jump,” as from Second Edition to Third Edition, said Slavicsek, “but there’s enough changing in the core system of how we are doing classes and races and characters that we’re not even gonna attempt it—we’re just telling you it’s better to start over.”

This does not sound good for Living Greyhawk at all. Considering its been far and away the most successful campaign the RPGA has ever run, the seemingly inevitable loss of LG will be a terrible terrible mistake.

And what of Greyhawk as a campaign setting?? I'm still reading through the thousands of posts that have been made in the last 24 hours, but I haven't seen anything definitive yet. I'm pessimistic, while still holding out hope.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Quote from "Inquest Gamer"..
And yes, Wizards does recommend you begin new campaigns with Fourth Edition. “It’s not going to be as huge a jump,” as from Second Edition to Third Edition, said Slavicsek, “but there’s enough changing in the core system of how we are doing classes and races and characters that we’re not even gonna attempt it—we’re just telling you it’s better to start over.”

This does not sound good for Living Greyhawk at all. Considering its been far and away the most successful campaign the RPGA has ever run, the seemingly inevitable loss of LG will be a terrible terrible mistake.

That doesn't mean that LG is going to go away, it just means that they're going to make you ditch your characters.
That doesn't mean that LG is going to go away, it just means that they're going to make you ditch your characters.

It doesn't mean that it isn't going away either. And it would be the perfect opportunity for Wizards to give the executioner's axe to a campaign they regularly expressed disdain for.

EXCELLENT idea ! :D
It doesn't mean that it isn't going away either. And it would be the perfect opportunity for Wizards to give the executioner's axe to a campaign they regularly expressed disdain for.

I think it would be a big mistake on Wizards' part. If LG got canned I could see lots of it's players migrating to Arcanis as they could stick with 3.5
I think it would be a big mistake on Wizards' part. If LG got canned I could see lots of it's players migrating to Arcanis as they could stick with 3.5

I fear legal crap pulled to destroy Arcanis and Blackmoor.
Figures. Just when I find something fun to do, they'll take it away from me. Thanks a bundle, WOTC.
Hmm, I would like to see some effort in making organised play widely available. You now, like having tournaments available every 3 month or so. I would love that.

Oh, and living in Germany, it would be great to have those events in europe, too :-)
I fear legal crap pulled to destroy Arcanis and Blackmoor.

Quite possibly, depending on how the Arcanis conversion to 3.5 was handled OGL wise.

For all we know, Hasbro might wind up giving the axe to WOTC. I remember Ryan Dancey or someone else recently making a comment that if 4th edition came out this soon that the folks at WOTC should be polishing thier resumes as it would be a sign that Hasbro is looking to make a quick cashout of the company. For a long time, I've been wondering if the Hasbro acquisition of WOTC/TSR would wind up like the Quaker's near fatal bungling of Snapple.
For all we know, Hasbro might wind up giving the axe to WOTC. I remember Ryan Dancey or someone else recently making a comment that if 4th edition came out this soon that the folks at WOTC should be polishing thier resumes as it would be a sign that Hasbro is looking to make a quick cashout of the company. For a long time, I've been wondering if the Hasbro acquisition of WOTC/TSR would wind up like the Quaker's near fatal bungling of Snapple.

It was Monte Cook I do believe http://www.ptolus.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mc_los_155 and he wrote that if an announcement came out in 2006 for 4E to be released in 2007 then it would be too early, etc. He guessed that an announcement would occur in 2007 for 4E to be released in 2008, and he was right.
Look at their website, they refer to actually sitting around a table as Meatspace Play. Meatspace. That is not a good sign.
I like LG a lot. Starting at level 1 would not be the end of the world. Them scrapping it would really suck.

I believe they do the level bump campaigns because LG already exists so there is no need to have another like it. If I am wrong and they start it over as a level bump campaign than that will be the same as killing it.
I like LG a lot. Starting at level 1 would not be the end of the world.

I think that's what they are doing.

From the Design & Development Seminar summary on ENworld.

Living Greyhawk – will be coming to a triumphant close next year, and they will be starting fresh with a new batch of characters and players. This will be discussed tonight or tomorrow

So there will be more information by the end of the weekend.
I like LG a lot. Starting at level 1 would not be the end of the world. Them scrapping it would really suck.

I believe they do the level bump campaigns because LG already exists so there is no need to have another like it. If I am wrong and they start it over as a level bump campaign than that will be the same as killing it.

The level bump campaigns exist because they are easier to administer. You don't need to deal with widely differing APLs, since everyone is forced into the same level bracket.

However, in my opinion level bump campaigns are a pointless bad compromise. If the powers that be are unwilling to accept the overhead of a "living" campaign, they should just issue one-offs with xp/equipment guidelines for players and completely eliminate any pretense at character continuity -- for even less overhead to administer from the top and relieving players of accounting headaches.
So, LG is in for a total reboot after next year.
Let's hope WotC attempts to cater to the very hardcore RPGA players immersed in LG.
Come on, throw us some frickin bones here, folks.
Lol. I guess I should put my Kobold card on Ebay.
Living Greyhawk as we know it is going away next year.

The new flagship RPGA campaign will be Living Forgotten Realms.

Ed
Living Greyhawk as we know it is going away next year.

The new flagship RPGA campaign will be Living Forgotten Realms.

Ed

Source?
Yeah, because that's not exactly what it sounded like.

Anyway, your post just sounds like spin. "As we know it". Well, yeah, we already knew that - it's going to 4E with first level PCs. It can still be as popular as the RPGA membership makes it, no matter what the "flagship" RPGA campaign is (whatever that means).
So, LG is in for a total reboot after next year.
Let's hope WotC attempts to cater to the very hardcore RPGA players immersed in LG.
Come on, throw us some frickin bones here, folks.

In Australia LG is far and away the most popular RPGA campaign, alot of players myself included would be very unhappy if Living Greyhawk changed to a level bump system or even worse was thrown on the scrapheap of RPG history! (esp. Perrenland!)
small city, surronded by small cities, i just want wizards to have thier own online way of playing, without much of a cost, because i cant get people together i real life
You guys asking for more Living Greyawk are assuming that the RPGA network is going to be retained. With Hasbro introducing the new paid subscription service D&D Insider (forgive me if I didn't get the exact name correct), why would they continue to offer a free RPGA network? D&D Insider is going to be the new source of all gaming solutions per Hasbro.

I have no doubt Living Greyhawk will come to end and any official D&D tournament campaign will be based on Forgotten Realms. FR has been the best selling campaign and is the first scheduled released for 4E.

The current RPGA is nothing like the one I joined originally. The RPGA, if it does survive, is likely to be polymorphed again.
-Roger
Sign In to post comments