Wish List

1856 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here’s the place to share ideas for future 4E products, excluding D&D miniatures and RPG core rulebooks.
Hey Wizards,

I would love to see more (official) material on Pelor, the Burning Hate
I want my Greyhawk hardcover.
Fix the core classes and class mechanics. By that i mean: 20 caster levels being better than absolutely everything other than 20 caster levels.

(Either remove the exponential power growth from the caster classes or give it to the non-caster classes.)

Ditch Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk as the center of D&D. I know i may as well have just said "murder small children and eat their flesh" as far as a lot of people are concerned, but that's how i feel. What do i want instead? Eberron and Planescape.
I want spells to work on a point system with augmentations. Get rid of the clutter of lesser, minor, greater, etc.

I also want to see a fully functional character generator system available from launch. Wizards of the Coast had one at the launch of 3e and never got it right after 7 years!
BRING BACK SPELLJAMMER
Well, I strongly suspect D&D4e is going to have a lot in common with the recently released Star Wars Saga Edition, and I consider that a Good Thing. But just to reiterate, the biggest flaws of 3.xe (which was, to be a sure, a major improvement from 2e -- I don't know about 1e or OD&D, because I didn't play them) were

• 1st level characters are far too fragile
  • High-level characters are too complicated to build quickly, and high level combat plays slowly (for nostalgia's sake, we'll note here that high-level 3.x is merely clunky; high-level 2e pretty much broke down completely, though you pretty much couldn't get there without throwing out the XP tables, so it didn't matter much)
  • Far too much of a high-level character's power is wrapped up into his equipment
  • Multiclass spellcasters just don't work very well

The Star Wars Saga rules go a long way to the first two. The second two are pretty much unique to D&D; while the Force is fantasy magic, it's not D&D magic. So I'm hoping the designers have good ideas for solving them.
So guys, the time has come. They said they would do it eventually and 4th edition is at our heels. So what do y'all think the new races will look like? Do you think they will make half-elves and half-orcs not suck? I just hope they use Saga Edition as a template for their new system.
I think it's too soon to speculate about it...

But humans would probably appear. heck, all the PHB races would.
While there will probably be a 4e eventually(and we don't want a 4.5, 3.5 I got lucky on and those where the original books) It is a safe bet that we will have the PHB races, and humans are almost guaranteed. They might add something, they might not.
I hope they add kobolds. They will either have them as a core race or make a splatbook (Jeebus no!).
Want a guess for core races? Humans, Elves, Half Elves, Drwarves, Gnomes, Halflings and Half orcs. People don't like when things change they had liked.
Lands of the Barbarian Kings Campaign Setting - http://barbaripedia.eu
YAY kobolds

ive been playing them almost specifically the last few months.

if they were a PHB race id be happy and sad.

the reason i like them is cause no one else really cares about them, and if they get that much more support
We know they are going to keep the old core races. But do you think they will add any new races or how they will change the old ones mechanics wise?
We know they are going to keep the old core races. But do you think they will add any new races or how they will change the old ones mechanics wise?

Half-Elves may get extra skill points in place of skill bonuses, to make them a more attractive choice. Maybe a feat instead.

Half-Orcs will probably get balanced-out stats. Maybe +2 con to counteract both mental penalties.
Hard to say: They call it a new, improved edition. Maybe there won't even be things like Low-Light vision or a Listen-skill anymore. One would have to know the system to make a guess which will remain compareable between races and at what points they gain new strengths compared to 3.5e.
Lands of the Barbarian Kings Campaign Setting - http://barbaripedia.eu
they better either nerf the crap out of the Dwarf or give him the +1 LA (or whatever equivilent system 4e may use) that he deserves!

and give half-elves the elf's free search check on hidden doors.

finally, an overhaul of the LA/ECL system would be good, I'd personally recommend replacing LA with exclusively racial hit dice, even if they have to be smaller or weaker hit dice somehow. combined with a new policy that EVERY PLAYABLE MONSTER MUST HAVE A "This race for characters" SECTION IN IT'S ENTRY!
I pray they will add Kobolds.. please please if anyone at WotC is reading, please give us Kobolds! (as a core race option!)
Warforged, and Kenku would be awesome additions. Maybe make a coulpe of new basic classes.
I think ether the halfling or gnome will be gone, and the kobold will replace one of them.
Maybe Gnomes will go back to being crazy cannibals and Kobolds will be their replacement in the PHB. If this system will look anything like Saga Edition or if they are going to streamline it a little more spot/listen/search will probably be consolidated to one skill. That would mean elves and half-elves just get a bonus on that one skill.
If they add Warforged I'll walk (there's enough of that kind of crap in the game already)!

The CORE Races should remain as they pretty much always have.
I thought the core races changed slightly from edition to edition.
Please Add Kobolds. Make them a decent choice without splat books (i.e. Fix there stats). Give Kobolds Warlock as a preferred class. I personally always think of Kobold Warlocks as being a perfect fit.

I dont want to have to use Racial Substitution to make them not suck anymore. Please.
I'm guessing the current core races will remain and stay the same.
Hopefully they do something to the half-bloods, but I'm not about to get my hopes up about that.

What I'd want to see is the addition of the semi-monstrous, yet still organized races such as goblinkind (goblins and hobgoblins at least), kobolds and orcs as full-fledged playable races rather than weaker-than-average and discouraged that they are now.
Aasimar and Tieflings as core races would be nice as well, despite the racial offshoots they are.
Would be quite the plethora, but I think it'd make the game somewhat more interesting if it's recognized that there ARE races other than the core seven that can form structured societies and become active powers in a game world.

Oh, and nerf the dwarf. I house-ruled it already, but please. Let's see some official recognition of the mistake! And less freaking subraces! Gods!
I think ether the halfling or gnome will be gone, and the kobold will replace one of them.

That would be awesome.

And seriously.. i dont know one person who has ever played Gnome.. nobody really likes them

And so many people love Kobolds and play them,.. and they're not even in the standard set,

Good to see so many other Kobold supporters here!

Add Kobolds!
I think if they made the average dwarf the gold dwarf (Racial attack and damage bonuses to abberations and +2 Con -2 Dex) it would help balance them a little.
If they are smart they will release a big book of playable races, and possibly a big book of playable classes prefleshed out so that it tells you what LA and racial bonuses you get.
I had a post that was sort of about this awhile ago-- the reference to 4E was just to help conceptualize, but the basic concept was trying to decide which races have traction and which don't. That in turn, would then progress towards which races were likely to show up in 4th edition.

Races with Traction (4th Edition and Beyond?)

There was actually a lot of good discussion on the question and I thought it brought up some interesting points on what makes a race attractive to players.
What ever they do lets hope that they don't add kobold. They probably should add some evil races like the Orc, Hobogoblin and I guess Goblins. Remember characters don't only play typically "good" races.
I had a post that was sort of about this awhile ago-- the reference to 4E was just to help conceptualize, but the basic concept was trying to decide which races have traction and which don't. That in turn, would then progress towards which races were likely to show up in 4th edition.

Races with Traction (4th Edition and Beyond?)

There was actually a lot of good discussion on the question and I thought it brought up some interesting points on what makes a race attractive to players.

I like the idea of traction for races. I agree with you that changelings have a lot of traction. Personally I favor (for traction) changelings, humans, and kobolds.
It'd be nice if orcs went back to being Lawful Evil.

I think that, as well as kobolds, goblins might be a good choice.
Out of all the evil/savage races Kobolds and Goblins would be best suited for being core. Maybe orcs.
Kobolds are just so popular I cant see them not being a PC race.. they're more popular than halflings or gnomes have ever been.

Of course, I think i'm so set on Kobolds as a player race that I would be severely dissapointed if they werent, to the point where I'm thinking of not upgrading at all without. However if I saw Kobolds included, I would buy every single book they released, pre order.
Dear Wotc,

please use Sigil as the main place for planar campaigns.

Thanks.
My 2 CP on the matter...

- Half-elves gain a minor buff, solely to make them more attractive as a choice. I'm guessing something along the line of taking out the +2 to Diplomacy and Gather Information and adding human style skill points, but I could be wrong. I'm positive about the minor buff, however.

- Half-orcs can go in three directions. Either WotC will keep them essentially the same, applying the same BS line that "strength is more important than intelligence and charisma", despite the fact that this logic only holds true for the first 4 levels. Or just as bad, they receive a constitution or dexterity bonus, making half-orcs into the overspecialized "me smash" race. Hopefully, WotC will streamline them into something that truly combines human and orc, as opposed to a watered down evil race.

- Judging from how many people are not fond of gnomes (or with the fact that their favored class is one perceived as "weak"), I can see something happening there.

- Personally, I'm hoping for races that are not too specialized in the party roles of tank, skill monkey, healer, or mage. For example, have the PhB races be more generalized but with some better at certain roles, while have monster races to be the specialized races.

- A splatbook detailing kobolds, goblinoids, orcs, and the like. And with hints to not make or use them as cliched LotR cannon fodder.
chances are the playable races will not change alot. The races we have now currently are largely good or have the capacity to be any alignment. They all also largely can go anywhere amongst the other races without alot of diffculties.

Kobolds goblins etc, have to have special rules of acceptance made for them and by and large their species are hostile to the rest of the world.

In alot of ways the PHB races are Medieval christain Europe and Stuff like Kobolds or goblins are everything else.

I think Tieflings and Aasimar have some grounds for core as they can be sort of classed with half orcs and half elves. But they are also alot rarer than those also.
My biggest hope for 4th edition races is no more racial hatred/training bonuses. No more AC bonus for Dwarves against giants, no more attack bonus for Gnomes against kobolds and goblinoids.
Look at Saga Edition Star Wars. That's what the races are going to look like. That is to say, streamlined abilities with more "rerolls" than "bonuses" and less confusing/conditional abilities.

As for which races, I'd say its the same as its been since before 1st edition, maybe with a few of the more popular ones tossed in. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had kobolds, but if they had kobolds and not goblins I would probably sneak in and steal all their left shoes.
Sadly, tofu never screams.
YAY kobolds

ive been playing them almost specifically the last few months.

You mean I think you mean "exclusively", not "specifically".

Half-Elves may get extra skill points in place of skill bonuses, to make them a more attractive choice. Maybe a feat instead.

Half-Orcs will probably get balanced-out stats. Maybe +2 con to counteract both mental penalties.

Assuming 4e works like 3e, and is more like the transition from 3.0 to 3.5, rather than 2 to 3.

We don't even know if 4e will work with 3e. Which would be nice. If I can't easily translate much material between the two, I'll likely stick to 3.X, TYVM.

That said. I'd love to see Corebolds (Core Kobolds, y'know), building on the fluff from RoD that makes them more lovable than just annoying, evil cannon fodder.

And on that subject, I'd like to see a core fully monsterous (say, orcs instead of half orcs) that doesn't automatically tend evil and are mechanically and fluffily suitable heroic pc material (look at, say, Warcraft); and maybe if we MUST have half-elves and half-orcs, make core rules for halving as templates, instead.
I'm betting on: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-elf, Gnome, Halfling, Kobold, Aasimar, Tiefling a pair of big guys (Orc, Gnoll, Minotaur, Centaur, Ogre or something like that) and a Feyish smaller race. I think there would be a ton of races to choose from in 4th ed. Player's Handbook.

I would be sad if gnome is removed, maybe they need a re-work to be more popular, something closer to what gnomes are in the Dragonlance world, crazily obsessed little scientists on an eternal sugar rush.