Free Online Adventures

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Is there a website that provides free adventures written by other people?  Preferably one that allows users to rate them as well so I don't pick a crappy one . Thanks!

if there's not, what would you recommend for adventures for a new player?  Preferably something cheap

There are plenty of sites out there but in terms of one that has ratings... I'm not so sure.

There are quite a few free adventures on the WotC website for 4e. You can also go to: http://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/ for loads of free adventures.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Thanks for that link . I have another question though after browsing around Amazon for D&D stuff. What is the difference between all the DM books?  What's the difference between a campaign setting like the Neverwinter Canpaign Setting Book and the Madness at Gardmore Abbey Supplement. What's the difference between the two?  If I wanted to DM, which ones would I need?  Would I even need any?  I'm not a great writer so if they're just pre written stories and backgrounds then I'd probably go with one of those. But if someone can explain them and the differences I'd appreciate it . Thanks!

EDIT: Also what is the difference between all these things and the H, P, and HS, etc. things?

If you're refering to H1, H2, H3, P1, etc etc etc

H = Heroic

P = Paragon

E =Epic

In light of the super awesome and totally usable WotC boards, many of us have moved offsite.

Check us out on NoGoblinsAllowed.  We've got areas for MtG, D&D, and open to expand.  Also have several play-by-post D&D games.

We'd be glad to have you drop by.

Bounty.Hunter wrote:

If you're refering to H1, H2, H3, P1, etc etc etc

H = Heroic

P = Paragon

E =Epic

Specifically, H1 is 2 options for levels - 1 and 3, H2 is 5 and 7, H3 is 8 and 10 IIRC - same for PX mods.  more recent mods are just Heroic or Paragon, and they have 5 adventure levels built into them which you can choose between.  it's a pretty flexible system.

The plots can be a little wanting at times, however.  if you're not intending to play LFR, but to use the mods as resources, one of the best thigns to do can be to simply mine the mechanically-best ones for interesting encounters and work out your own plots.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So then what are the campaign and adventure books?

They are the campaign and adventure books.

Campaign settinigs tend to offer a bunch flavour about a given place, and some player and DM material to use in games set there.  Adventures are... adventures.like the LFR ones, only for money.  And often, not as good.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So you'd recommend the campaign books if I wish to set my games in that land?  I'd like to do a Neverwinter Campaign I think that'd be fun. But a campaign is basically a bunch of smaller adventures?  Multiple adventures = 1 campaign?  Do I have that right?  That's what it sounds like to me. And an adventure is a bunch of encounters with a story thrown in there. Lol I hope I have all that right

You hit the nail on the head with that. Yes, a series of adventures forms a campaign. Some have a fairly tight storyline, with all the adventures advancing the overall plot of the campaign. Think of it like a movie series (like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings). The campaign is the whole series of movies, start to finish. Some campaigns have more of a "sandbox" feel. Much like a kid in a sandbox, you are free to go wherever you wish, play with what you find there, and move on - even back to where you have already been, just to see what (if anything) is new. 

Adventures are like individual movies in a series. A bunch of encounters are strung together, forming a story. Some can have tight plots, while some can just be a cool location (like a dungeon) or a group of places all tied together (like a group of villages being oppressed by a local warlord - you can go to any of the villages in any order, a couple of small dungeons nearby, or go straight to the warlord's castle). 

And yeah, the campaign books are pretty helpful. They don't necessarily give you a string of adventures, but rather a ton of ideas, adventure "seeds" that you can "grow" into full-fledged adventures. They also have great descriptions of the world, the types of people you can meet, places you can go, and so on. I would say that the Neverwinter, Dark Sun, and Eberron campaign settings are the best for 4E. 

I hope that helps a little, but it seems like you have it right on the money already, WNxTyr4el! Have fun!

Awesome reply!  You get  +3 Thumbs Up of Gratitude, sir!  Thank you!  I'll definitely look into those campaign books then!  Neverwinter to start probably because I've played NWN2 a bit and really enjoyed the setting (unsure if it actually follows the D&D settings or not) so when I get the money I'll buy that from Amazon or something. I just got my Red Box yesterday so I'm excited to use that.

Just for future reference, but when building my own campaign, what do you use for a game board?  I guess the best thing to do would be the dungeon tiles?  For example, if I do get the Neverwinter book, what would I have to also buy to create the dungeon the players would be going in?  Or the cities and the like?

Again, thank you for the detailed response, it really helped!

Probably the most cost effective option would be to pick up a blank flip-mat from Paizo, which should be available on Amazon or at your Friendly Local Gaming Store. You can sketch out whatever dugneon/city/wilderness features you like with dry- or wet-erase markers. The maps don't exactly lie flat, so my advice would be to head down to your local Lowes, Home Depot, or other hardware store and pick up a sheet of plexiglass big enough to cover the map. You can use non-permanent markers on it as well, it keeps the grid flat, and it's clear. You can also use it to add "layered" effects or extra features (a newly-opened pit, a spreading fire, etc.) as an encounter progresses. Total, this should cost around $20. You can also use the plexiglass with Dungeon Tiles. I find that tacking them in place on a piece of heavy duty construction paper with blue stick (blue putty used for hanging posters) helps tremendously. Here's the link for the flip-map, so you know what I am talking about. Hope this helps you!

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8oto?Pathfinder-FlipMat-Basic

What if I'm not very artistic?  Would the mat still be good?

i also noticed that amazon/paizo has pre drawn mats. Would those be good?

The pre-drawn mats can be very useful, but they are kind of limited to what they display. I mean, you can get a lot of use out of a town square, forest, desert, etc. but using the same dungeon over and over can really stretch things for the players. Generally, don't worry too much about your artistic skills! Practice makes perfect. Or at least helps you draw relatively straight lines.  So yeah, the blank flip-map isn't a bad thing at all. If nothing else, use dominoes, blocks, or what have you to represent walls and terrain until you feel comfortable with a pen. 

I'll look into it!  Thanks a lot!

There are a couple of free adventures in the first issue of my 4e zine. They are both high level, but "The Town of Bridgepuddle" would be very easy to convert to any level; simply sub out lower level undead for the zombies.

Download it here!