Wanting to Get Started!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey everyone!  So I'm new to the D&D Universe.  I've only played NWN2 really which I know is based on D&D rules.  That's about it though.  I'm interested in getting started with the game and read the new player guide but am still so lost as to what I'd actually need to play.  I know the DM manual, player manual, and dungeon tiles but is there anything else I'd need?  I saw that Wizards has full 1-30 campaigns available.  Would that be something I'd need?  Also, what about character figures?  Like minis?  Would I need those?  And paint and such?  

Can anyone help me out?  Thanks!

You don't need much more than the players handbook to make a character and start playing, if you have a group to join or there's an encounters event in your area you can attend.  If you w Bush to start your own group and DM you'll need more. 

You won't need to paint minis unless you want to, any game you join will likely have them.  There are prepainted plastic minis and cardboard tokens as alternatives.

If you want to DM, you can get the boxed DM Kit, which includes tokens and a premade adventure.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Awesome!  Would the Red Box be helpful too?  

Im also confused about the types of events that D&D has. Is there really only Encounters?  Do players hold games every day or is it only on specific days as designated by the store?  Could anyone explain how the events work and such?

And is there a forum on here for local players to get together and play?

If you already have the players handbook, the red box is redundant.  Encounters is the current WotC organized play program, and is on Wednesday nights.

There's also LFR, which is now WotC independent.

There is a forum here called Gamer Classifieds.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Tony_Vargas wrote:

If you already have the players handbook, the red box is redundant.  Encounters is the current WotC organized play program, and is on Wednesday nights.

Thanks!  I'm really thinking about getting the Red Box as I have no D&D materials right now.  I'm trying desperately to get my g/f into the game (we watched the D&D Futurama episode and she said she'd play).  So I'm thinking I'll take the leap and get the red box :D.

Question though: If only playing with 2P, can the DM be a character as well?

WNxTyr4el wrote:

Tony_Vargas wrote:

Thanks!  I'm really thinking about getting the Red Box as I have no D&D materials right now.  I'm trying desperately to get my g/f into the game (we watched the D&D Futurama episode and she said she'd play).  So I'm thinking I'll take the leap and get the red box :D.

Question though: If only playing with 2P, can the DM be a character as well?

Very small parties can run into trouble, they're actually harder to run for than parties of 4 or 5.  But, yes, the DM can provide a character to round out the party.  You might even consider each running two characters.  Finding a public event like Encounters to start with can also be a good option.

There are some inconsistencies between the Red Box and the actual full-fledged rules in the Players Handbook, but nothing too overwhelming, and it does have an introductory adventure with maps and tokens.  If you also get the DM Kit and Monter Vault boxed sets, there are complete adventures in those, too.  

There are also on-line Quick Start Rules and Adventures here.  

I found the quick start rules and have started reading through those. So you think the best way to get started is to go to an Encounter huh?  There's one today nearby so I might have to

Going to Encounters (official Encounters are typically on Wed nights) can be a good introduction.  Right now, it'd be a little less so, because it's shifted emphasis away from new players (which was the emphasis for /years/) and:

• The current Encounter scenario, Murder in Baldur's Gate, is very political, and you might well have a 'talky' session that teaches you litte or nothing about the game mechanics.
  • It includes game stats for three different editions of the game, including the new one being playtested (still a year or more away from release), so you might bring a current character and find a 'classic' or 'playtest' game it doesn't work in.
  • It's right in the middle of a 'season,' so jumping in could be tough.

You might just take the quickstart rules, pick two characters each, and run through the first encounter of one of the scenarios (Keep on the Shadow Fell or Kyber's Harvest, I think they're called).  I've only played the former, and it's first encounter or two are OK, but later encounters get very nasty and don't make the best intro to the game.  I actually like the intro adventure in the DMG better, but the DMG is redundant to the DM Kit, which also has a more elaborate scenario, with maps & tokens...

I'd be able to attend on Sundays at my local store and I think they run Living Forgotten Realms that day. Would that be good for a new player to go to?  

I think for the price that the Red Box is a good entry to the game. LFR could be good, it just depends on what level the adventure is. If you need pre-made characters check out this link:

http://dungeonsmaster.com/pre-generated-character-library/

frothsof wrote:

I think for the price that the Red Box is a good entry to the game.

I definitely think it'll be something I'm going to get. 

Yeah I'll have to check with the DM if I can create my own character. Otherwise I'll use one from that site, thanks!

Tony_Vargas wrote:

• The current Encounter scenario, Murder in Baldur's Gate, is very political, and you might well have a 'talky' session that teaches you litte or nothing about the game mechanics.

I can vouch for this statement. There has been one, very brief, combat in the last three sessions.

Don't let that scare you away, though. I have had several of my players say that this module has provided some of the best roleplaying they have had in years.