How to calculate the statistics of the starter set fighter

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi, 

I am new to D&D and have the starter set and the player handbook.

I tried to reverse engineer the statistics of the fighter in the starter set in order to make sure I understand the basic rules of creating a character. I have one particular statistic I can't understand.

The caracter is a dwarf fighter, wearing a scale mail, using a maul and throwing daggers. His abilities (including bonuses) are:

str 16

con 16

Dex 13

Int 10

Wis 14

Cha 11

And it says that his ranged attack has +3 bonus.

As I see this should have been +4 (+3 for dagger profficient and +1 for dex)

What did I miss?

I assume this is 4e. I don't have the starter set, but it does appear that, if this character is 1st level and proficient with daggers, his ranged attack bonus should be +4.

+3:  proficiency with dagger

+1:  due to dexterity bonus

+0:  1/2 level, rounded down

Misprint? Perhaps they meant to give him throwing hammers (+2 proficiency bonus) and it got messed up?

Probably just a mis-print in your copy.  It should be +4.  

The current copy on the WotC site is correct:

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/quickstartrules.pdf

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Winterleaf wrote:

I assume this is 4e. I don't have the starter set, but it does appear that, if this character is 1st level and proficient with daggers, his ranged attack bonus should be +4.

+3:  proficiency with dagger

+1:  due to dexterity bonus

+0:  1/2 level, rounded down

Misprint? Perhaps they meant to give him throwing hammers (+2 proficiency bonus) and it got messed up?

Worth noting that throwing hammers would throw using STR (being Heavy Thrown), so the attack bonus would actually be +5 with them.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Whoops. Good catch.

Thanks! I learned a ot from this short thread