Final (?) Update: Dec 24th, 2010: After accepting a promotion a few months ago, I realize that I don't have the time to devote to regular maintenance of this thread anymore. On the bright side, reflecting on the evolution of the Avenger class brings me great joy. When I first started this thread, Avengers were generally considered to be a 'bad Striker', and Ignis Fatuus, kilpatds, myself, and a few others spent a great deal of time defending them in various threads. At this point in time, they are typically acknowledged to be effective and flavorful, and are a very popular class.
Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread since its inception-- particularly Ignis Fatuus and kilpatds, who have been amazing resources for Avenger players since 'back in the day'.
I'll still be around, of course.
Recent News: May errata batch kills Avenger/Pit Fighter. Morninglord nerf appears to be a given in the next 2 errata.
More Recent News: July Errata murders crit fishers who generate multiple free action attacks with each crit.
No worries, however! Avengers now have the feat support they used to lack, which means that building effective Avengers no longer requires leaning heavily on Paragon Path features!
This thread has really evolved a lot, but the intent and function basically remain the same: To keep tinkering with the Avenger class and put out fully functioning Avenger builds. Some of the builds are very straightforward and intuitive. Others boldly go where no... well... you get it.
1. Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Serene Initiate/Demigod. A Power-Attacking pure Avenger build that deals automatic damage on misses, as well as giving damage boosts to hits after missing the previous turn. Refer to post 307 for the new iteration of this build for more damage.
2. Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Radiant Servant/Demigod. Divine Retribution, Radiant style.
1. Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Radiant Servant/Demigod--with a Rending Urgrosh. An exercise in showing how Radiant Servants aren't married to lightsabers, thanks to Bond of Retribution.
1. Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Storm Sentinel/Demigod. Something for the Kord-lovers. Another build that isn't married to any weapon, and has COOL POWERS.
2. Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Blightspeaker/Demigod. Fun with (save ends), and self-heals on crits.
1. Hasdru's "Blink". Human (Pursuit) Avenger/PMC Swordmage/Arcane Sword. Huge DPR, At-Will charges, and a very unique flavor.
1. Godlike Devil's "The Silent Lord". Half-Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Thuranni Shadow Killer/Chosen. A crit-fisher with Wraithblade Double Sword.
2. Ignus Fatuus' Eladrin (Pursuit) Avenger/Zealous Assassin/Chosen of ______. The revised version of this build, which has been changed to remove homebrew elements, appears in Post 338.
1. Deva (Unity) Avenger/Radiant Servant/Radiant One. A 'focus-fire' oriented build that has big personal DPR, and also helps a flanking buddy out with accuracy and damage boosts.
1. Victimoffun's Dwarf (Retribution) Avenger/Radiant Servant/Punisher of the Gods. Maximum Bond of Retribution, and serious punishment.
1. Hasdru's Revenant (Hybrid) (Retribution) Avenger|Cleric/Avenging Haunt/Raven Consort. A very interesting build featuring heavy armor, and living with one foot in the grave.
1. Human (Retribution) Avenger/Wizard of the Spiral Tower/Sage of Ages. Using triple-rolls and The One Sword to create strong DPR and virtually permanent single-target daze.
These 2 builds rendered obsolete 3/2/10
1. Revised "The Silent Lord" build by GodLikeDevil.
1. Revision of Hasdru's concept of playing with one foot in the grave. Shadar-Kai (Retribution) Avenger/Avenging Haunt/Raven Consort
1. Obsid's spin on Hasdru's Hybrid build. Revenant (Retribution) Avenger|Cleric/Avenging Haunt/Raven Consort.
1. Hasdru's Human (Hybrid) (Unity) Avenger|Ranger/Hybrid Paragon/Beastlord. Unity with a built-in flanker. Fantastic solution for meeting Unity conditions and cashing in on build features.
1. Hasdru's Wilden (Retribution) Avenger/Long Night Scion/Winter Sovereign. An insane blink-fighter/teleporter who leaves pain in his wake.
1. Human (Unity) Avenger/Angelic Avenger/Radiant One. Automatic Radiant punishment and Combat Advantage against any bloodied enemy within 5 squares.
1. Hasdru's revisions of his cold-teleporter concept.
1. Human (Retribution) Avenger/Battle Engineer/Radiant One. Triple-stat dipping for obscene statics, and guaranteed accuracy kickers and bonus damage after any hit OR miss.
1. Hasdru's Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Morninglord/Revered One. Turning Channel Divinity into a supernova... and ending Epic with 11 Channel Divinity feats to keep the fireworks coming.
1. Hasdru revisits the Avenger/Storm Sentinel. Longtooth Shifter (Retribution) Avenger/Storm Sentinel/Avatar of Storm.
2. Hasdru's Dwarf (Retribution) Avenger/Lyrandar Wind-Rider/Avatar of Storm. 'Bends' a racial convention in order to tackle the Thunder & Lightning damage theme, and finds some nice damage output as a result.
1. My revised Avenger/Ardent Champion/Eternal with Rending Urgrosh, adding Radiant feat stack
1. Hasdru's Shadar-Kai (Retribution) Avenger/PMC Wizard/Archmage. Staff-fighting Missile madness!
1. Sticks128's Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Demigod. Another take on this soon-to-be standard build.
1. Hasdru's "Cold Saves The Queen". Elf Avenger|Wizard/Battle Engineer/Winter Sovereign. Crazy damage output, sweet nickname.
1. Deva (Unity) Avenger/Wizard of the Spiral Tower/Sage of Ages. "Bedazzler". Striker DPR with virtually At-Will daze.
This build rendered obsolete 3/2/10
1. Hasdru's Dwarf (Pursuit) Avenger/Serene Initiate/Perfect Assassin. Hasdru returns with a hard-to-kill little person.
1. Human (Unity) Avenger/Warpriest/Radiant One. "Scorpion Zero". Cold and Radiant synergies.
1. Ironchef's Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Zealous Assassin/Demigod. A hard-charging build whose damage ramps up when the target is bloodied.
1. Hasdru's Eladrin (Pursuit) Avenger/PMC Ranger/Lorekeeper. Twin Striking death machine.
1. Darklink69's Githzerai (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Demigod. The Ardent Champion build with a Gith twist and racial feats, as well as an emphasis on charging.
1. Human (Unity) Avenger/Twiceborn Leader/Radiant One. Fully functioning Striker with a heavy minor in Leader.
1. Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Draeven Marauder/Planeshaper. Low At-Will DPR, but decent actual damage, emphasizing control via push, slide, and prone.
1. Dwarf (Pursuit) Avenger/Hammer of Judgement/Demigod. Frost cheese + Censure's Grip combine with extra push/pull/slide ability to let you bulldoze enemies around the grid, and abuse them whether they run away or remain adjacent to you.
1. Half-Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Coiled Serpent/Eternal Seeker. Beast form fun and increased control without straying from pure Pursuit Avenger playstyle.
1. Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Serene Initiate/Demigod. The New, Improved version of the concept, now with much better damage.
1. Ignis_Fatus' Eladrin (Pursuit) Avenger/Zealous Assassin/Punisher of the Gods. A new, markedly improved version of her Greatspear charger, with homebrew elements removed through use of new content. Lots of charging, huge mobility and damage.
1. Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Favored Soul/Chosen. Fun with flying and Distant Vengance, gets you Censure of Pursuit virtually every round with a little finesse.
1. Deva (Retribution) Avenger/Self-Forged/Radiant One. An exercise in squeezing functional damage out of flavor-oriented concepts.
1. Mirtek's take on the Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Favored Soul/Chosen of Tempus. Flavor-heavy build that functions and FLIES.
1. Deva (Retribution) Avenger/Simbarch of Aglarond/Sage of Ages. Triple-rolls + Power Attack + Radiant feats + non-Standard attacks + Simbarch's 11E = BIG FUN!
1.Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Sage of Ages, with Rending Urgrosh + Two-Weapon Opening. conservatively estimated at 140 At-Will DPR.
1. Avenger/Crimson Hunter/Eternal Seeker. Greatbow user who specializes in RBAs and powers which can be used as such.
1. OpenPalm's Avenger/Long Night Scion/Radiant One. Avenger melee combined with teleport & auto-damage shenanigans. Off hand 'Staff of the Traveler' turns Overwhelming Strike's built-in shift into a teleport for extra punch.
1. Ignis_Fatuus' Eladrin (Pursuit) Avenger/Zealous Assassin/Invincible Vanguard... a charger that uses Polearm Gamble to encourage its target to attack someone else. This one is right there in the 100 DPR club.
1. SongNSilence's Half-Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Eternal Defender, w/Twin Strike Dilettante. A Str/Wis multi-attacker with Chain, Windrise, an axe in each hand, and 196 At-Will DPR (255 with Dancing Weapons, doable all day long)
1. l33's Half-Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Fury of the Wild with Twin Strike Dilettante. An 'Adept Dilettante' based monster that puts strong hits on every unbloodied enemy within 10 squares each time it crits. Oh, and... it crits a lot.
1. Toxicated's Half-Elf (Twin Strike Dilettante) Avenger/Morninglord/Radiant One. Twin Radiant Bastard Swords and near constant Radiant vulnerability plus Radiant Advantage and Radiant One = 154 DPR. Another one in the 100+ DPR club!
1. Toxicated's Shardmind Avenger|Seeker/Morninglord/Radiant One. Distant Vengeance helps turn Grappling Spirits into a 100+ DPR attack with very strong control.
Post 602: *Moved from Post 2.
1. Longtooth Shifter (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Eternal Seeker. A nova build.
2. Longtooth Shifter (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Demigod. A pure Avenger with crit-driven multi-attacks and Radiant madness.
1. Ignis_Fatus' Wilden (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Invincible Vanguard. Another charging polearm wielder in the 100 DPR club. A truly Archetypal build.
1. Toxicated's Longtooth Shifter (Pursuit) Avenger/PMC Ranger/Martial Archetype. I'd recommend using this one only in Epic tier games. Slow starter with no AC until it picks up Heavy Armor at Epic, achieving extreme DPR via Twin Strike.
2. Toxicated's Half-Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/PMC Rogue/Martial Archetype. A visitor from Windrise Ports that brings Twin Strike via Adept Dilettante, and brings some extra non-Standards. Another slow starter, though this one pays lip service to defense early on. Another member of the 100+ DPR club.
1. Ignis_Fatus' Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Favored Soul/Chosen. Strong defenses become absurd with easy to meet conditions. 66 At-Will DPR, and a nova in the high 600s. Oh... and at-will flight.
1. Human (Pursuit) Avenger/Adroit Explorer/Demigod. Striker with heavy Defender/Controller secondary ability and high defenses. Lockdown, served with two d20s on the side.
1. maverick0023's Deva (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Soul of the World. Generates 3 extra attacks per crit, and uses its Epic Destiny to poach some very useful powers. Post 680:
1. Hasdru's revised (Unity) Avenger|(Beastlord) Ranger/Paragon Hybrid/Beastlord. Bring your own flanker for Unity and CA.
1. Hasdru's "Holy Skirmisher". (Pursuit) Avenger/PMC Seeker/Fury of the Wild. Creates range-based catch 22 to guarantee extra damage, and is range flexible.
1. Hasdru's "Swarming Death". Human Avenger|Druid/Paragon Hybrid/Raven Knight. Hasdru proves that there's an exception to every rule by creating a martyr that isn't a trap, and also... one that I don't hate. In fact, I kinda like it! Censure of Retribution, done the right way!
1. Hadru's Human Avenger/Relentless Slayer/Demigod. I never thought I'd see the day... someone made Relentless Slayer work, and it works VERY WELL here.
Inferenz' Razorclaw Shifter (Pursuit) Avenger/Moonstalker/Invincible Vanguard. A similar version of IgFa's take on the same frame, giving up some damage for control elements.
Githzerai (Pursuit) Avenger/Storvakal/Demigod. Classic & current Pursuit-style Avenger emphasizing Defender secondary via Deadly Draw + Censure's Grip. 80+ DPR.
The_Yakk's Half-Elf (Pursuit) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Eternal Seeker. A late-bloomer who dumps Wis in favor of Str. Twin Striking & power-poaching chainsaw using vuln: Radiant.