Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5076 posts / 0 new
Last post
where can i find a trap building program or is there one besides my head and on imagination.

There's no official program to do it.

I'm sure somebody's got a web form somewhere, though?
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Hi all, Is it possible to print your character created in cha builder to microsofts .xps format to print at another location?
Hi all, Is it possible to print your character created in cha builder to microsofts .xps format to print at another location?

If your computer can print to .xps, sure.

If it can't, PDF is probably easiest, though - just install PDFCreator.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
thanks, trying to get my dm..with no working printer atm to mail me my character sheet

So I was toying with the idea of a Beastmaster Ranger and notice the char builder just gives me a lvl 1 stat block for the companion, is that just what it does? Do I need to figure out everything if I'm starting at lvl 11?
So I was toying with the idea of a Beastmaster Ranger and notice the char builder just gives me a lvl 1 stat block for the companion, is that just what it does? Do I need to figure out everything if I'm starting at lvl 11?

The Beast's base stats increase as you level, but the beast does not gain any additional abilities. It gains powers by you taking Ranger powers with the Beast keyword.

Can anyone direct me to a rules suppliment that covers Summoning or animal companions? I can't find any rules on summoning Duration, Summon stats, or Companion leveling or stats.
Can anyone direct me to a rules suppliment that covers Summoning or animal companions? I can't find any rules on summoning Duration, Summon stats, or Companion leveling or stats.

Rules for Summons are in the Rules Compendium, and the Player's Handbook. Summons have the stats as described in the power that summons them, with the general rule being that they have hit points equal to half of the summoner's HP and defenses equal to the summoners. They attack using the summoners relevant stat + implement. Exceptions will be noted in the power's description. Commanding the Summon uses the Summoner's actions, unless stated otherwise in the Power description. With very few exceptions, summons last five minutes or until the end of the encounter in which they were summoned, exceptions, again, will be noted in the power description.

Animal Companions of various stripes were introduced in Martial Power (Beastmaster Ranger), Heroes of the Fallen Kingdoms (Sentinel Druid) and Heroes of the Feywild (Fey Beast Tamer Theme). Rules for leveling the Companions are found in the aforementioned volumes, as well as the stat blocks for all companions.

Rules for companions depend on the companion's source. If you're playing a Sentinel, the rules for your animal companion will be laid out in the Sentinel class features in Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. If you're playing a Shaman, the rules for your spirit companion will be laid out in the class features for the Shaman in Player's Handbook 2. If you're playing a Ranger with the optional beastmaster fighting style, the rules for your animal companion will be laid out in the optional feature's description in Martial Power.

Summoning powers will have the summoning keyword, which has its specifics laid out in the Rules Compendium, as well as, off the top of my head without the books right next to me, Arcane Power, Primal Power, Player's Handbook 3, Heroes of the Fallen Lands, and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.
I have been told that being a DM makes you never want to be a player again because you know everything about the monsters and such. I want to try out DMing, but not if it's going to make me bored with my PC. What do you think?
I have been told that being a DM makes you never want to be a player again because you know everything about the monsters and such. I want to try out DMing, but not if it's going to make me bored with my PC. What do you think?

Except that you don't know everything. 4E has made it especially easy to modify a monster's powers and reflavor monsters. There are a whole slew of creatures that I liked their stat blocks, but I needed them for a different purpose than their default fluff and appearance, so I changed the names and some of the details, and there was a whole new monster built on an old chassis.

The other thing you can do to keep things fresh is to not read any published adventure you don't expect to be running in the next few months. One of my players wanted to run the adventures included in the DM's Kit and Monster Vault, so I refrained from reading those. I had no idea what I was going to encounter or how it was going down.

Every single experienced DM on these boards will probably talk to you with great fondness about the times we actually play. We originally took the role of DM because no one else wanted to do it (o felt comfortable doing it). Afterwards, people simply expected us to run any new games or campaigns, so experienced DMs don't play anywhere near as much as we would like to.

Enjoy your stint as a DM, secure in the knowledge that you are giving one of your friends a break to enjoy from the other side of the screen and that you can quite easily go back when it is time for you to play again.

Unless you have a photographic memory, there's no way you're going to remember anything past vague details about most things you encounter (and most of that info you'd have in-character anyway).
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Unless you have a photographic memory, there's no way you're going to remember anything past vague details about most things you encounter (and most of that info you'd have in-character anyway).

I have a great memory for details and facts, and I do remember most of the important stuff about pretty much all the iconic monsters. I may not be able to remember what the flumph's schtick was beyond being fugly-looking and lame, but most of the time I can rattle off monster stats pretty well.

Y'know what, though?

I don't care. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me whether or not I know all the monster stats or I've already read the module I'm playing. Neither of those affect my enjoyment of the game in any way. I've run B2 Keep on the Borderland at least three times and played it upwards of six, translated into three different editions. It's still one of my favorites.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

There are things I love about both sides of the table so I would never say one has impacted by joy of the other.
I've been playing D&D for over twenty years now and looking to (finally) play some 4e.  So this question is based off my understanding of the 'old' system of magic.  Am I right that in 4e wizards can now cast Magic Missile an unlimited number of times?
I've been playing D&D for over twenty years now and looking to (finally) play some 4e.  So this question is based off my understanding of the 'old' system of magic.  Am I right that in 4e wizards can now cast Magic Missile an unlimited number of times?

That's correct.  All characters, including wizards, have some abilities that they can use at-will, all day long, forever, without running out.  For Wizards, that's some first-level combat spells.
Ok guys.  I know at somepoint I skimmed a dungeon or dragon article about arcane dueling and  expanded feats/options for weapliment users.  Am I delirious becuase I have not been able to find the article anywhere....

If you guys know the article or when it was released that would be helpful.
Ok guys.  I know at somepoint I skimmed a dungeon or dragon article about arcane dueling and  expanded feats/options for weapliment users.  Am I delirious becuase I have not been able to find the article anywhere....

If you guys know the article or when it was released that would be helpful.

Dragon 402, "Tools Of Two Trades"?

I think whoever told you that had been smoking something mind-altering and it hadn't worn off.

I love being a DM and I love being a player even more.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Hey everyone I remember that there was a pdf doc that came out that introduce the weapon that was in ninja asassin however I dont remeber the name the weapon was on like a chain and I think it had a blade at the end like a kusaarigama[real life weapon] but i dont know what there called in this game and what magazine issue it came out can someone help me please.
Hey everyone I remember that there was a pdf doc that came out that introduce the weapon that was in ninja asassin however I dont remeber the name the weapon was on like a chain and I think it had a blade at the end like a kusaarigama[real life weapon] but i dont know what there called in this game and what magazine issue it came out can someone help me please.

The Oriental issue of Dragon was 404 ... and the weapon was the kusari-gama.
Does any one no of a 4e build or home brew class that works like the pathfinder summoner class.
Does any one no of a 4e build or home brew class that works like the pathfinder summoner class.

not sure what your looking for, but wizardw and druids can summon.  sentinal druids also come with a pet.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

thanks.
So are the items/builds/stuff that come out in dragon acticles considered instantly via options?  There is no further review or approval process?  If its in a dragon article it is good to use correct?
I have a couple questions about Sentinel animal companions / Fey Beast Tamer companions.

1) Do these companions' attributes go up at levels 4/8/11/14/18/21/24/28 like Ranger beast companions?

2) Can these companions wear companion slot items (or use any other magic items)?

Thanks!
Not sure about items or Sentinel Companions, but I know that Fey Beast Tamer companions have a fixed base defense value, and your level is added to each.  I have heard that the Sentinel ones work similarly, though.
Yeah, I know the defenses go up based on your level. I'm not sure what purpose attribute increases would have, frankly, though there are occasional attribute-based checks in adventures I've played.

In other words, what I'm asking is: at level 4/8/11/14/18/21/24/28 do their attributes (Strength, Constitution, etc.) go up like Ranger beast companions do?
I have a couple questions about Sentinel animal companions / Fey Beast Tamer companions.

1) Do these companions' attributes go up at levels 4/8/11/14/18/21/24/28 like Ranger beast companions?

2) Can these companions wear companion slot items (or use any other magic items)?

Thanks!

1: No, they do not.

2: Not sure.  As a DM, I probably wouldn't mind, but you'd need to check the wording on the book Companion slot items were released in.  My guess at RAW would be no.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The wording for companion slot items is: "The beastmaster ranger build in the Martial Power supplement has a beast companion, and future classes and builds will also feature such companions. Although the items in this section are tied to beast companions, all can be repurposed for other kinds of companions using the Transfer Enchantment ritual." Sounds like it would work, but again, I was wondering what others thought...

Thanks!
I have a group of people that are going to start playing D&D. We are looking for a cheap alternative to miniatures because of finincial reasons is there somekind of package of zones or colored objects we could buy?
I have a group of people that are going to start playing D&D. We are looking for a cheap alternative to miniatures because of finincial reasons is there somekind of package of zones or colored objects we could buy?

You can use literally anything for minis, so long as you can differentiate them.  Cut out pieces of construction paper and write your character and monster names on them, coins, dice, Lego men, small action figures (like Micromaster Transformers or something), tokens from boardgames ('My elf is the Monopoly Scotty Dog') ... on and on and on.
Did not think of construction paper, you are a smart person.

Gummy bears or juju beads are good alternatives to miniatures as well - they come in different colors and shapes so you can have the green ones be the minions and the red ones the regular monsters, or have one color be the kobolds and another the skeletons, etc.
Players can also eat their kills.

Cardboard or poster board is a better alternative than construction paper, since the tokens will last much longer - if you have a decent printer that can print on cardstock, you can make a fairly professional-looking sheet of tokens by grabbing monster images off the internet and using freeware programs like GIMP and Tokentool for trimming/shrinking them to fit on the individual tokens.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Gummy bears or juju beads are good alternatives to miniatures as well - they come in different colors and shapes so you can have the green ones be the minions and the red ones the regular monsters, or have one color be the kobolds and another the skeletons, etc.

We used to do that....  Till we've lost a character to a hungry player.

Then we just stuck to the random assortment of game pieces.  Monopoly has nicely different ones.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Thanks guys.

Then we just stuck to the random assortment of game pieces.  Monopoly has nicely different ones.

For a 3rd party game we play, the gm uses Candy Corn because he knows no one will actually eat them.

For a 3rd party game we play, the gm uses Candy Corn because he knows no one will actually eat them.

Haha..

And the added advantage of those things never rotting.

guides
Power
my builds

How do I navigate the fourms when there is hundreds of pages to one post?
How do I navigate the fourms when there is hundreds of pages to one post?

Goto your Profile, click on Forums, click on Forum Preferences, change posts per page to 40.

Beyond that, have a lot of patience, desperately try to use the forum search, or just ask for directions if you're looking for something specific.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments