Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5078 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry this seems a pit off topic but...
I just started playing dnd 3.5 and my friend is playing a psion.
He seems to have the ability to pass powers to his psicrystal then have that psi crystal concentrate on that power and keep using and not spend more power points for it. the ability is telekinetic thrust and he is through huge blocks of steel over and over with no more cost on points....

for the life of me i can't find how he is doing it.... is he cheating or is there an ability for that??
I have no idea, goodtimesonly, but I think you might have better luck asking the same question in the 3.5 forums, specifically the 3.5 Psionics Forum.

As for if his ability is legal: Ask him how he's doing it, and what book he's using. That's the best suggestion I can give you, sorry.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Are there any items or feats that completely negate the attack penalty for running? (Fleetrunner boots reduce it to -2, but not completely).
i have a question. if darkvision can pierce a black dragon's cloud of darkness, does it pierce drow's cloud of darkness as well?
and to add on to that... does a bugbear's oversized allow him to wield large 2 handed weapon? or does it need to follow the 'being small ' rule when using large weapon?
MM shows that minotaurs benefit from oversized as well. however this feature is not shown in Dragon Magazine 369. so does minotaur has oversized?
Are there any items or feats that completely negate the attack penalty for running? (Fleetrunner boots reduce it to -2, but not completely).

Elf Paragon feat, Running Shoot, PH1.

[<()>]Proud Brazilian. Typos are free bonuses. 

and to add on to that... does a bugbear's oversized allow him to wield large 2 handed weapon? or does it need to follow the 'being small ' rule when using large weapon?
MM shows that minotaurs benefit from oversized as well. however this feature is not shown in Dragon Magazine 369. so does minotaur has oversized?

1- Bugbears can wield large 2-handed weapons without penalties.

2- If 2 (full) fonts are differents, you will consider the newer as a revised rule. By now, the "official" MInotaur is from Dragon, and the MM minotaur is not more valid. Like the EPG Changeling is now the valid MM Doppelganger, and the EPG Warforged is valid over the MM and Dragon Warforged.

Hi All, I'm a newbie to D&D, and just learning to play the miniatures game (not tried the roleplaying game yet). Just a couple of questions:

Q1. I have both the new 4th edition miniatures, and the old (I assume 3rd edition) miniatures. Can you play with different edition miniatures in the same game together, as their stat cards are different. Does it make any difference when you're trying to play them under 4th edition rules?

Q2. Once I've learnt how to play D&D Miniatures Game, is it the same combat rules (4th edition) for Roleplaying. Or are the battles done any differently when you're roleplaying? Different rules, etc?

Many Thanks,
Hi,

I'm afraid I can't tell you about the minis game DIRECTLY because I don't know anything about it.

I asked a good friend of mine who plays the minis game and he says that they're similar and a number of the symbols should look familiar and the concepts are close, but in practice one is an extremely simplified version of the other.

You can see how they're related and transfer some concepts across, but they're fundamentally different games.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Elf Paragon feat, Running Shoot, PH1.

Sorry I didn't specify, but I'm specifically wondering about Melee Attacks. The Orien Swiftblade from the EPG fascinates me and I'm trying to figure out how to be able to run all the time.
Rams aren't printed, so they're not items in the game.

That being said, your suggestion isn't a bad one, and as soon as you add "battering ram: +2 to Strength checks to break down doors" as a legal item, making it Silent becomes sensible.

Cool thanks for the answer.
Got a question that popped up while I was DM-ing...

Rogue hides behind a corner and readies Deft Strike as an immediate interrupt, should any enemy move into range from the wide corridor. Deft Strike here will allow Rogue to cover the entire width of the corridor. Archer walks into the 'trap' and attacks Rogue with his bow. But Rogue is faster and executes Deft Strike by moving adjacent to Archer and pokes him. Archer then resolves his ranged attack at close range. So, the question is, does Archer provoke opportunity attacks due to the use of ranged attack with an adjacent enemy, especially since Rogue has already executed a readied action as an immediate interrupt? What if Rogue performed an opportunity attack or an immediate interrupt instead of a readied attack?
Rogue hides behind a corner and readies Deft Strike as an immediate interrupt, should any enemy move into range from the wide corridor. Deft Strike here will allow Rogue to cover the entire width of the corridor. Archer walks into the 'trap' and attacks Rogue with his bow.

Stop here.

Events:
1. Rogue readies action
2. Archer moves into position
3. Rogue INTERRUPTS, triggers Readied Action, moves adjacent to Archer, and attacks. His initiative moves to immediately before the Archer in the turn order.
4. Control returns to Archer - he can complete his Move if he has move left and wants to go further, he can use a Standard to shoot the Rogue, he can drop his bow and draw a sword, whatever. Point is, he moved, and the move was interrupted, but it wasn't ended and he isn't *forced* to attack with the bow.

But Rogue is faster and executes Deft Strike by moving adjacent to Archer and pokes him. Archer then resolves his ranged attack at close range. So, the question is, does Archer provoke opportunity attacks due to the use of ranged attack with an adjacent enemy,

Yes. Ranged attacks in melee *always* provoke OAs, regardless of when the person moved adjacent to you. And, see above, the Rogue moved adjacent *before* the ranged attack was even begun.

especially since Rogue has already executed a readied action as an immediate interrupt?

His use of an Immediate is irrelevant. Opportunity Attacks are an Opportunity Action, not an Immediate Action, and the two have *zero* interconnection. Check out the full details on PHB1 pg 268.

What if Rogue performed an opportunity attack or an immediate interrupt instead of a readied attack?

Quibble: a Readied Action *is* an Immediate Interrupt.

But assume there is no Readied Action at all - the Archer chose to move past the Rogue, stop on the far side, and shoot from point-blank range.
Moving past the rogue provokes an OA, so the Rogue takes it. Firing in melee also provokes an OA, except you get only one OA *per other person's turn* - and since this is still the Archer's turn and the Rogue has already taken an OA, he can't take a second one. However, if a second Archer moves adjacent and fires, he can OA that guy too, and a third, and a fourth, because each of those are moving on different turns and he gets one OA per turn.

In another case, assume that he did exactly what you said, but instead of an OA, he wanted to use Leaping Dodge.
Well, Leaping Dodge is an Immediate Action, and taking a Readied Action is an Immediate Action, and (PHB1 pg 268 again) you can only take one Immediate Action *per full round*. Since he's already used an Immediate ("readied Deft Strike"), he can't use a second Immediate until his turn is past.

Just remember: Opportunity Actions and Immediate Actions are *similar*, but not the same, and they don't actually affect each other at all. With that, and the rules on pg 268, you should be set to go - is there anything else we can do to clarify?
That clears up a real lot of doubts. Thanks so much!
Sorry if this has been asked before. It's a very basic question. I scanned the last few pages and didn't see this question.

The wording in the PHB is confusing me about how encounter powers work. If I have more then one encounter power, can I use each one once in an encounter or only one encounter power once per encounter?
Sorry if this has been asked before. It's a very basic question. I scanned the last few pages and didn't see this question.

The wording in the PHB is confusing me about how encounter powers work. If I have more then one encounter power, can I use each one once in an encounter or only one encounter power once per encounter?

Every Encounter power can be used once in every encounter, unless the power itself has a specific exception.

Common exceptions include the leader-classes healing powers, which can be used twice per Encounter, and Divine characters' Channel Divinity powers, where you have more than one Encounter power but only one Channel Divinity power can be used per encounter, no matter how many you have. Some less common exceptions include powers that say they aren't expended if they hit, or they aren't expended if they miss all targets, etc.
Thank you very much! That was exactly what I needed.
A correction:

Stop here.

Events:
1. Rogue readies action
2. Archer moves into position
3. Rogue INTERRUPTS, triggers Readied Action, moves adjacent to Archer, and attacks. His initiative moves to immediately before the Archer in the turn order.

A readied action is not an immediate interrupt, it is an immediate REACTION (PHB p.291). In this case, it is triggered when the Archer moves close enough to allow the Rogue to use Deft Strike, but it happens after the last square of movement that brought the Archer within "range". Then the Rogue moves & attacks with Deft Strike.

The difference here is minor. If it was an interrupt, the Deft Strike would occur before the movement (not the whole movement, just the square that brings the archer within Deft Strike distance).

The rest is correct, except:

Quibble: a Readied Action *is* an Immediate Interrupt.

A Readied Action is an Immediate Reaction. It "interrupts" an enemy action in the sense that it cuts in that action, but it is still a reaction to the triggering event.

The difference does not really change how jacxis' scenario plays out, but it may change how other situations do.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Another quick question... if a power specifically states that you choose two targets (like the Ranger's 1st level daily attack, Split the Tree), must you choose two targets? This came up in a fight against a solo monster.
Another quick question... if a power specifically states that you choose two targets (like the Ranger's 1st level daily attack, Split the Tree), must you choose two targets? This came up in a fight against a solo monster.

The power in question says "two creatures", and it means two creatures.

Contrast to the ranger's at-will Twin Strike, which says "one or two creatures".
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Question:

If a monster has a reach of 2 and a character moves around that monster with in the reach of 2. Does the monster get an OA on that character or if a character uses a range attack and there is one square between the monster with a reach of 2 and the character using the range attack? I belive the monster would get the OA but the people in my party says diffrent.

Thanks,
elmandalorian
Thanks Mtman75
Does anyone know what mapping software the editors of Dungeon Magazine use? Just curious.
Question:

If a monster has a reach of 2 and a character moves around that monster with in the reach of 2. Does the monster get an OA on that character or if a character uses a range attack and there is one square between the monster with a reach of 2 and the character using the range attack? I belive the monster would get the OA but the people in my party says diffrent.

Thanks,
elmandalorian

Only if the monster has the "Threatening Reach" ability. See the entry for the Troll or the Hydra in the Monster Manual for an example.
The power in question says "two creatures", and it means two creatures.

Contrast to the ranger's at-will Twin Strike, which says "one or two creatures".

Correct. However in the case of powers like Split the Tree, you can still use it against a solo monster, the second shot is just wasted (you aim it at a wall or a rock or something) and it has no effect. Efficient? No. Possible? Absolutely.
Only if the monster has the "Threatening Reach" ability. See the entry for the Troll or the Hydra in the Monster Manual for an example.

Thanks,
Thanks Mtman75
Thanks LordOfWeasels!
Okay, I'm totally new to DD, and I just bought the starter set for 16 dollars. I can't figure out what the difference between at-will powers and ecounter powers are. Please help! I appreciate it! Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm on a glitchy computer that isn't allowing me to use the search feature right now.
Okay, I'm totally new to DD, and I just bought the starter set for 16 dollars. I can't figure out what the difference between at-will powers and ecounter powers are. Please help! I appreciate it! Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm on a glitchy computer that isn't allowing me to use the search feature right now.

There is no limit to the number of times you can use an At-WIll power: if the power takes a standard action, you can use it every time you have a standard action available.

An Encounter power can be used once only before you have to recharge it by taking a short rest (~5 minutes). Usually, you take a short rest between each encounter, hence the name "Encounter Power".

These are the general rules. There are exceptions, but don't worry about those for now: they will be mentioned explicitely.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
thanks so much!
Can you attack, without penalties, using a reach weapon when there's an ally or enemy between you and the target?
Okay here's my question,

My character is level 24 Rogue/Daggermaster/Dark Wanderer

Daggermaster gives her a power called 'Mediation of the Blade' which increases her dagger die up one size, so from d4 to d6.

She also has the feat 'Rogue Weapon Mastery' which when she's wielding a dagger, the weapon gains a high crit property, in this case 3[W].

So if she crits does Mediation of the Blade increase that high crit property to 3d6 instead of 3d4?
AFB right now, but ez question

I know that the starting stats of a new character are 5x 10, and an 8, but what is the amount of point buy allowed? and what is the table for point costs?
AFB right now, but ez question

I know that the starting stats of a new character are 5x 10, and an 8, but what is the amount of point buy allowed? and what is the table for point costs?

See Player's Handbook page 17, lower right corner, "Method 2: Customizing Scores". It doesn't explicitly say this, but you can't "buy down" an ability to below 10 or "buy up" above 18.

(You may want to already have your race picked out so you know what racial bonuses you may get. You can use them to beef up a prime stat to 20, improve a secondary stat, or make a dump stat less dumpy. Your call.)

For FRPG events you *will* do it "by the book". Oh, and you're also restricted that you can't have more than one score below 10 or any scores below 8.

Outside of those events, the DM can direct differently if so inclined (see Rule Zero) but it's still the norm.

The DDI Character Creator, free demo or subscription, also "enforces" the book/FRPG system (but only by notifying you if you go outside them - it's perfectly willing to let you take 20 for all six attributes).
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Okay here's my question,

Daggermaster gives her a power called 'Mediation of the Blade' which increases her dagger die up one size, so from d4 to d6.

She also has the feat 'Rogue Weapon Mastery' which when she's wielding a dagger, the weapon gains a high crit property, in this case 3[W].

So if she crits does Mediation of the Blade increase that high crit property to 3d6 instead of 3d4?

High Crit makes the weapon do one extra [w] on a crit. So, if your [w] for a dagger is 1d6, I'd say you would indeed do 3d6 high crit damage with a 3[w] attack.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Can you attack, without penalties, using a reach weapon when there's an ally or enemy between you and the target?

Ally, yes. Allies don't provide cover.
Enemy, no. Enemies *do* provide cover. You take a -2 penalty for attacking *through* a square occupied by an enemy.
Okay here's my question,

That's correct. When using Meditation, 1W is 1d6, so Epic-Tier High Crit with that weapon does 3d6.
Ally, yes. Allies don't provide cover.
Enemy, no. Enemies *do* provide cover. You take a -2 penalty for attacking *through* a square occupied by an enemy.

Except that creatures doesn't provide cover for melee attacks. PHB 280 states that only ranged attacks receive cover from another enemy. The ogre-pillar-PC example uses a solid cover, like wall edges provides cover too.

High Crit makes the weapon do one extra [w] on a crit. So, if your [w] for a dagger is 1d6, I'd say you would indeed do 3d6 high crit damage with a 3[w] attack.

That's correct. When using Meditation, 1W is 1d6, so Epic-Tier High Crit with that weapon does 3d6.

Thanks and thanks!

Just to verify, Mediation of the Blade wouldn't have any effect on Sneak Attack or the dagger's Critical die size, correct? During a crit of course.
Can Mordenkainen's Guardian Hound attack twice every round or just the round in which it was conjured?
Kind of an odd question: What would happen to a living creature that ingested Residuum?
Sign In to post comments