Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5054 posts / 0 new
Last post
one of my players is playing a diplomacy expert as a character.
how would this work in a battle with monsters or npc villans?
because if he makes everyone's additude improve to helpful there will never be any combat and the other players characters are more focused on combat so it will get boring for everyone else really quick.
Question regarding cover…

On page 281 of the PHB, the picture labeled "Cover against an Area Attack" shows the goblin in a blue square, although the red line indicates said goblin has cover. Is the blue square a misprint?

- Keith
Q: If you have Quick Draw, a Paired Weapon enchantment on a Dagger, split the dagger and throw one of the split parts, can you reform the weapon as a free action after damage resolves? Or do both pieces of the weapon need to be in your hands in order to reform?

All magic weapons return automatically after being thrown, so you *do* have both halves of the dagger.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Pluisjen: That's a typo. Since there's just one character, I assume it's supposed to be a "6"

Centaur13:
one of my players is playing a diplomacy expert as a character.
how would this work in a battle with monsters or npc villans?

It wouldn't.

He's great at talking his way out of fights before they start, but Diplomacy
A) isn't mind control
and
B) won't work on someone who's currently trying to kill you, especially not if your friends are trying to kill *him*.

Once you defeat the monster, if you took it alive, he can talk to it.

kgmessier:

"Cover" versus "Superior Cover" is different. The goblin is only PARTIALLY protected, so he has Cover - a -2 to hit him - but he's not TOTALLY protected so the power still has line of effect to him.

Look again. See that statue? The red line shows that there is at least one corner of the Goblin's space that *always* has an obstructed line, no matter which corner of the origin you start from. So that's Cover. However, there are three corners of the Goblin's space that are totally reachable, so it's not blocked LoE.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
kgmessier:

"Cover" versus "Superior Cover" is different. The goblin is only PARTIALLY protected, so he has Cover - a -2 to hit him - but he's not TOTALLY protected so the power still has line of effect to him.

Look again. See that statue? The red line shows that there is at least one corner of the Goblin's space that *always* has an obstructed line, no matter which corner of the origin you start from. So that's Cover. However, there are three corners of the Goblin's space that are totally reachable, so it's not blocked LoE.

OK, cool. That makes sense. So the gray squares that would be blue in an otherwise unobstructed area offer Superior Cover, yes?

- Keith
Actually, some offer "No Line Of Effect".

If you can't reach ANY corners from ANY corner on your origin, you have no LoE and the target is 100% protected.

If you can reach *only one* corner from your origin, you have LoE but the target has Superior Cover. Superior Cover also happens if there's something terrain-wise that grants it - arrow slits, portcullises, etc.

If you can reach *more than one* corner from your origin but *not all*, the target has Cover.

If you can reach *all* corners of the target from any corner of your origin, the target has no cover.

This is covered on page 280. It's a little odd to wrap your mind around, but it's not that complicated in practice.
Can someone please give me the link to the 4e updated rules in the DMG. I read them once and now can't find them! Thanx!
Can someone please give me the link to the 4e updated rules in the DMG. I read them once and now can't find them! Thanx!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates
i have a quick and what i should think to be a realtivly easy question where can i go to get a 4th ed character sheet that i can fill in on the computer.
Question: Can a PC help another PC cast a ritual if they do not have the ritual casting feat?
Question: Can a PC help another PC cast a ritual if they do not have the ritual casting feat?

Yes. See "Assisting in a Ritual", PHB p.299.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
i have a quick and what i should think to be a realtivly easy question where can i go to get a 4th ed character sheet that i can fill in on the computer.

[thread=1081766]This thread[/thread] has links to a few good ones. Not all of them are editable, though.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Does Resist 10 all include meele damage (untyped)?
All means all. All damage, regardless.
Question? I am new to 4th edition and am having a hard time finding out how friendly fire (from spells) effects the party. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

TCS
Question? I am new to 4th edition and am having a hard time finding out how friendly fire (from spells) effects the party. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

TCS

Take note of the power description: if it says creature, it means anyone (friend or foe), as opposed to just 'enemy'.

Depends on the spell (or other effect).

First: There's no penalty for firing into melee or through your allies, although stacked up enemies *do* provide cover to one another. Because of this, you *never* have to worry about hitting an ally with anything except a Burst or Blast spell - anything that targets only a single guy, only affects that single guy, ever.

Second: Examine the spell description to see who it targets.
Many spells target "creatures in area", which is to say "anything, friend or foe". And you treat all targets in there the same way - if it's Intelligence versus Reflex, then you roll an attack on all creatures in the burst, including your allies, and you apply damage to all creatures, including your allies.
Many spells target "enemies in area", which is to say, only monsters, never allies. In that case, you roll attacks on the enemies normally and ignore your friends completely.
Some, especially Cleric powers, target enemies and then add an effect to allies. With those, the effect is usually automatic but you roll attacks on the enemies normally.

If this doesn't help, can you provide an example of a problem you're having?
Take note of the power description: if it says creature, it means anyone (friend or foe), as opposed to just 'enemy'.

Thanks that is perfect. Tis what I thought. Feel smarter now.
Depends on the spell (or other effect).

First: There's no penalty for firing into melee or through your allies, although stacked up enemies *do* provide cover to one another. Because of this, you *never* have to worry about hitting an ally with anything except a Burst or Blast spell - anything that targets only a single guy, only affects that single guy, ever.

Second: Examine the spell description to see who it targets.
Many spells target "creatures in area", which is to say "anything, friend or foe". And you treat all targets in there the same way - if it's Intelligence versus Reflex, then you roll an attack on all creatures in the burst, including your allies, and you apply damage to all creatures, including your allies.
Many spells target "enemies in area", which is to say, only monsters, never allies. In that case, you roll attacks on the enemies normally and ignore your friends completely.
Some, especially Cleric powers, target enemies and then add an effect to allies. With those, the effect is usually automatic but you roll attacks on the enemies normally.

If this doesn't help, can you provide an example of a problem you're having?

Thanks for the extra details. I am a smarter person now.
Does Resist 10 all include meele damage (untyped)?

Yes, "resist all" includes any type of damage, including untyped damage.
Hey all, Im looking for a hand here and Im not sure where to put this question exactly, but anyway I was setting up a "skill challenge" based on the "Lost in the wilderness" one found on page 79 of the DMG...
I think players act in inititive order, like combat, in a skill challenge? But if thats true... Why does this challenge say things like "At least two characters in the party must make a XXX check per turn"? Can all players act each turn? That seems unorganized and choatic... They will all be yelling over each other and while thats fun to imagine... its not so fun to manage.

Thanks ^_^ sorry for the long-ish question.
What's with those Superior Twohand weapons with the Offhand Attribute? Can you weild them onehanded too?!
What's with those Superior Twohand weapons with the Offhand Attribute? Can you weild them onehanded too?!

They are double weapons. It takes two hands to wield one, but it counts as two melee weapons for purposes of feats and powers, and the off-hand property is necessary to do that for anyone but a two-weapon ranger. It also gives bonuses to tempest fighters.
I think players act in inititive order, like combat, in a skill challenge?

Not necessarily. That's certainly a good way to handle things if it's a problem for you otherwise, but they don't *have* to be.

But if thats true... Why does this challenge say things like "At least two characters in the party must make a XXX check per turn"? Can all players act each turn? That seems unorganized and choatic... They will all be yelling over each other and while thats fun to imagine... its not so fun to manage.

Think of it this way: A "round" of the Skill Challenge is defined by each PC taking one action.

It really doesn't matter WHAT ORDER they take them in, as long as everyone acts once before anyone acts a second time.

As for "at least two must roll XXX per round" - tell the players this! "You're lost in the woods. Two of you HAVE to roll Nature every round, but beyond that, roll whatever you want". And let the PCs decide who rolls Nature and who does something else.
Question: When creating a higher level character. In this case 25, can you take masterwork magic armor, or do you stick with basic for magic items?
Question: When creating a higher level character. In this case 25, can you take masterwork magic armor, or do you stick with basic for magic items?

The value of masterwork armor is included in the value of armor of the appropriate level. When paying for a +4 armor, for example, there is no reason not to make it masterwork (as long as you meet the minimum enchantment bonus).

It is, in fact, free.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
But I'm not buying the armor, but just getting it as starting equipment, does this matter?
But I'm not buying the armor, but just getting it as starting equipment, does this matter?

No, it's the same. You're just not spending any gold.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Warning, first post. I figure it would be best to ask here instead of making a new topic. Kinda a lengthy question.

Well, for a long while now me, but my cousin gave me a small taste of D&D a while back and I liked it. But unfortunately, he lives in Dallas and only ventures here on holidays. It was usually just him and myself, and I found it a bit... slow to get started, as I couldn't keep a character alive through a story. Plus, the rules were a tad overwhelming at first.

But now, I'm much older, have income, and an attention span! Not only that, I have several friends that have expressed interest in D&D as well as my younger brother and sister. Everything turning up great right? The problem? None of us now how to play, my sister is a twelve year old, (albeit an incredibly bright one), I've never DM'd, and I don't know where to begin. My friends are fans of role playing games, including those based around tabletop mechanics, but we're looking for something... simple.

I'm not worried about being clever, original, or a stickler for rules, but I want to start a campaign to ease us all in with basics. I mean, the very basics. Gradually, we'd start implementing rules and such, but I need to know what I need for the bare bones style play. Is there an introductory book? What does one need to do to DM? (I've only been a player). I'm not completely new to all this, but I'd like start from the bottom and work my way up.

Much thanks for any responses!
Warning, first post. I figure it would be best to ask here instead of making a new topic. Kinda a lengthy question.

Well, for a long while now me, but my cousin gave me a small taste of D&D a while back and I liked it. But unfortunately, he lives in Dallas and only ventures here on holidays. It was usually just him and myself, and I found it a bit... slow to get started, as I couldn't keep a character alive through a story. Plus, the rules were a tad overwhelming at first.

But now, I'm much older, have income, and an attention span! Not only that, I have several friends that have expressed interest in D&D as well as my younger brother and sister. Everything turning up great right? The problem? None of us now how to play, my sister is a twelve year old, (albeit an incredibly bright one), I've never DM'd, and I don't know where to begin. My friends are fans of role playing games, including those based around tabletop mechanics, but we're looking for something... simple.

I'm not worried about being clever, original, or a stickler for rules, but I want to start a campaign to ease us all in with basics. I mean, the very basics. Gradually, we'd start implementing rules and such, but I need to know what I need for the bare bones style play. Is there an introductory book? What does one need to do to DM? (I've only been a player). I'm not completely new to all this, but I'd like start from the bottom and work my way up.

Welcome (back) to the game!

I think the best place to start is with the three core rulebooks, in this order: the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. Reading through those first two will give you a clear idea of how the game mechanics work. The third book will help you with creating your own adventures, and will fill in some of the details that may be part of a published adventure. (The back of the Dungeon Master's Guide includes a short adventure you can run with other players.)

The next step is to ask questions on this forum to get clarification on the finer points. (Sometimes the terminology and wording is ambiguous or otherwise unclear.)

- Keith

Keep on the Shadowfell is the lengthy answer to your question:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/217187400

It has a quick rules section, pre-built characters, and a story.
Don't worry if you'd expected a lengthy answer on the forums,
but I could start writing down basics and would spend quite some time doing it, but luckily there is this book.

(Edit) Uh, some more advice.
You need dice. Sides: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20. Also, wizards.com has them.
DM: Introduce the players to what you have in mind. You should be prepared to that. Improvisation doesn't come easily. So lay a scenario out for the players (obviously the one from the book), but let the players decide what they would do. Support them in knowing their options rules-wise - i mean, don't tell them everything: they could find a hidden stash, but tell them that they could spend 5 minutes searching the room. Hopefully they won't stumble upon a hidden trap. Your job is to play everyone else beside the PCs (also the weather). You get the idea?
Also, have a session all alone; controling all the creatures, allies and enemies. You will soon learn what questions will arise and what you need to learn still.

Be a good DM an put effort into the game. Have the most exciting story and the most adventurous fun.
thanks!
What is exactly a DPR ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

What is exactly a DPR ?

An accronym for Damage Per Round, derived from DPS (Damage Per Second, in use in MMORPG communities).

In D&D, it is the average damage of an attack multiplied by the probability to hit the average defense with that attack.

DPR is not an official D&D game term or value, like AC for example. It is a measure of effectiveness, in terms of damage only, of an attack form, used by mathematically inclined players for optimization purposes.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Thanks Sebby.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

OK I am still rather new to playing D&D and I needed help playing my alignment, I am a Chaotic good swashbuckler and just needed some tips on playing him properly.
I am still having a little trouble figureing out stealth. I know that a player rolls a stealth check against the monseters or npc's perception check. But how far in movement can the player move is it their full movement or half. And if they use an action point or give up their standard action to move again do they need to reroll their stealth checkk?

Thanks,
Kirk
Thanks Mtman75
So two question here;

Bloodiron Weapon Critical:

Critical: +1d10 damage per plus
Property: When you deal extra critical hit damage with this
weapon, deal the extra critical hit damage to the target
again at the start of your next turn.

So at the start of your next turn do you tell your DM to add the total from the weapons crit damage that you rolled in the previous turn or do you re-roll that damage?

Next question;

Vorpal Edge - Artificer Utility Power:

The deadly parts of the weapon you touch become suffused with
magic, making them sharper and deadlier.

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, attacks with the
target score critical hits on rolls of 18 or higher.

If an Artificer were to apply 'Vorpal Edge' to a Daggermaster Rogues Dagger who is already crit'ing on rolls 18 and higher, would the Rogue see any benefit from the Vorpal Edge? I can understand not stacking the effects and giving the Rogue crits on 15 or higher but it seems to me a deadly weapon in the hand of a deadly master of daggers would still become deadlier and maybe allowing the Rogue to Crit on 17 or higher wouldn't unacceptable.
I've been playing 4th edition for about a year, and have been a dungeon master for about 8 years. My ? is just what exactly are the rules for the number of daily spells that a wizard can prepare? And how many daily spells can be in his spell book? Can he learn spells of a higher level from another wizard?

Thanks. We've just been playing with the house rule of you can prepare a number of daily spells equal to half your level. This goes for the cleric as well, allthough I haven't thought about the sorcerer. Just got PHB 2
OK I am still rather new to playing D&D and I needed help playing my alignment, I am a Chaotic good swashbuckler and just needed some tips on playing him properly.

Alignment questions are a bit beyond the scope of this thread. You should ask this question here: [forum=42]Previous Editions General[/forum] (because this is also a 3.5e question).
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"