Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5052 posts / 0 new
Last post
Corellon’s Implement (11th level): Choose an
arcane implement that you specialize in, whether the
wand, staff, or orb. You can use a longsword as if it
were that type of arcane implement when casting your
spells.

My question is,because i can use a longsword as a implement,could i make my longsword,a long sword of ruin as a staff of ruin?also if i take the dual implement spellcaster feat could i bump up the damage even more?for example i have 2 +3 longswords of ruin,i use a wizard power just with the swords and the feat i would have +9 damage.
First: "of ruin" is a Staff keyword. You can only apply that enchantment to a Staff, even *if* you have an ability that lets you use a longsword as if it was a staff implement. You can't make a Longsword Of The War Mage or a Longsword Of Ruin or even a Master's Longsword Of Scorching Burst - because even though you can *use* a Longsword as if it was an implement, that doesn't make it eligible for implement-only enchantments.

But: You could have a Longsword Of Whatever +3, and a Staff Of Ruin +3 in your off-hand. With the dual-implement feat, this would give you:
+3 damage (Longsword, Enhancement)
+3 damage (Staff, Item)
+3 damage (Dual-implement, Untyped)
for a total of +9 damage, yes.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
5 total n00bs in our late 20s to early 30s...we all have our player handbook 1 and a capable dm, but what is the best concise additional resource for learning how to play, both in terms of tactics and role playing...4 PCs marching straight down the street and getting jumped is fine for figuring out how your individual at-wills, encounters, and dailys work, but we are ready to actually learn to play...please point me in the right direction...thanks in advance.
5 total n00bs in our late 20s to early 30s...we all have our player handbook 1 and a capable dm, but what is the best concise additional resource for learning how to play, both in terms of tactics and role playing...4 PCs marching straight down the street and getting jumped is fine for figuring out how your individual at-wills, encounters, and dailys work, but we are ready to actually learn to play...please point me in the right direction...thanks in advance.

I think the best way to learn is by playing with more experienced players and GMs. Forums like this one are a great way to get specific advice, answers and ideas, but there's no substitute for real game play.

You say you have a capable DM. Is he or she fairly experienced? Are there other, more experienced players in your area who might be interested in joining the campaign? Do any of you have an opportunity to play in an additional campaign run and played by more experienced folks?

- Keith

P.S. Welcome to the forum (I'm new here, too) and welcome to D&D!
LaudTrevlin: That's a pretty good start, actually!

I'd suggest you grab a couple of the printed adventures - "Keep On The Shadowfell" is a free download to get you started - and have your GM run those. They provide a fair bit of variety in the examples of how stuff works, providing you with a set of experiences where different tactics and actions and even story choices can make changes to the way you play.

And, really, the rest is as simple as having a personality in mind for your character and trying to think "Okay, what would he do now?"
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
I think the best way to learn is by playing with more experienced players and GMs. Forums like this one are a great way to get specific advice, answers and ideas, but there's no substitute for real game play.

You say you have a capable DM. Is he or she fairly experienced? Are there other, more experienced players in your area who might be interested in joining the campaign? Do any of you have an opportunity to play in an additional campaign run and played by more experienced folks?

- Keith

P.S. Welcome to the forum (I'm new here, too) and welcome to D&D!

Thanks Keith...no one has any previous experience, but our DM is a smart one who is doing his homework...we can't bring in an outsider at this point...everyone is still too sensitive (read: slightly embarassed) about picking up D&D at our age!!! Maybe the compendium will be our best resource for now. Thanks again.
LaudTrevlin: That's a pretty good start, actually!

I'd suggest you grab a couple of the printed adventures - "Keep On The Shadowfell" is a free download to get you started - and have your GM run those. They provide a fair bit of variety in the examples of how stuff works, providing you with a set of experiences where different tactics and actions and even story choices can make changes to the way you play.

And, really, the rest is as simple as having a personality in mind for your character and trying to think "Okay, what would he do now?"

Thanks Lord...that is exactly what we have been doing...it just seems that the DM is figuring out ways to take advantage of our weaknesses faster then we are adapting!!! We will continue on!
Thanks Keith...no one has any previous experience, but our DM is a smart one who is doing his homework...we can't bring in an outsider at this point...everyone is still too sensitive (read: slightly embarassed) about picking up D&D at our age!!! Maybe the compendium will be our best resource for now. Thanks again.

In that case, I say go with LordOfWeasels' suggestion: Think like you were your character, asking yourself "What would my character do now?" It may seem daunting in the beginning, but over time you'll find through trial and error what works and what does not. Honestly, I think uncertainty and a blank slate make for some great adventures. Challenge yourself and your DM, ask lots of questions, and develop confidence trying a variety of approaches—you'll all have a lot more fun. If you're not having fun, something has gone horribly awry or you've eaten too many cheeze curlz.

- Keith

Don't feel bad about picking up D&D at any age. Shoot, I wish my parents even now would pick up a book and start playing. Honestly, the more I play D&D, the less geeky it seems and the more I think "why don't other people try this?" But then, some people think any board game (Risk) / group game (Balderdash) is stupid.
Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement! One other beginning n00b question...where can I find the most information about checks? The Players Handbook 1 is a little vague about how that all works, but checks sound like they will be huge in the long run...
Define "checks" for me, will you? I don't know exactly what you mean when you say that.
Define "checks" for me, will you? I don't know exactly what you mean when you say that.

ahhh...that's my point! we are on a road to some ruins...nothing has happened yet...do we roll for a perception check to see if we are about to get jumped, passing some hidden loot or entry...we killed a worm priest...do we do some perception check to see if he has any loot...we want to question an attacker...can we do a check (maybe insight) for why we are being attacked...etc...these may be horrible examples...it just seems that we should be asking/challenging the DM with more questions, and it seems like the questions should come in the form of some kind of skill/knowledge/ability check... make sense?
Ah!

Well, you've hit on a couple of different things.

First: there's a Skill called Perception, which you know. There's a stat called "Passive Perception", that is 10+Perception. It's basically like you rolled a 10 on a D20. This is your default Perception: If you're not especially watchful for some reason, you're assumed to have rolled that, and you find anything that requires that number, or less. If that's not good enough AND you're especially alert, you roll.

People who are trying to ambush you roll Stealth, aiming to get higher than your Passive Perception (or, if you're alert, the result of your roll.)

Second: Searching people after combat isn't hard and isn't usually hurried. There's usually no roll involved at all: Take your Perception Skill, add 20 (as if you'd rolled a natural 20), and you automatically find anything that requires that number or less to find - which is almost always EVERYTHING. Something being hidden to the point where searching won't find it is really, really out of place in a standard adventure.

we want to question an attacker...can we do a check (maybe insight) for why we are being attacked...etc...

"Insight" is good for telling when people are lying. Intimidation and Bluff and Diplomacy are all good for making people talk.

You might want to check out the section on using skills, in the Skills chapter. It might answer some of your questions.
ahhh...thank you again...I am currently set up as Dragonborn Paladin Defender and am reading through the Defender pages...VERY informative! I, evidently, have a ton of reading to do!
Battle Mage's closing spell stats that you add additional dmg if you have no other daily powers remaining.
Demi-God's Divine Miracle stats that When you have expended your last remaining encounter power, you regain the use of one encounter power of your choice.
for these powers, do you count in utility powers to the total encounter/daily powers? or is encounter and daily powers always counted as 4?
Wolfspan: If it doesn't say "Daily ATTACK Power" or "Encounter ATTACK Power", then it counts your Utilities and your Racials and your Feat powers.
thank you very much!
Hey guys I'm really new to D&D and was wondering whether there is some kind of newbie thread or post that explains what I'll need to start up? Cheers
Hey guys I'm really new to D&D and was wondering whether there is some kind of newbie thread or post that explains what I'll need to start up? Cheers

Welcome to the game! Not sure about a specific post or thread already in existence, but I can at least push you in the right direction here…

At a minimum, you'll need polyhedral dice (4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, etc.) and the Player's Handbook (PHB). This book alone is sufficient if you're going to be a player only. If you're going to be a dungeon master (DM), you'll need the Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG) and Monster Manual (MM) as well.

I strongly recommend you get involved with a group run by an experienced DM. The best way to learn is by playing the game, and playing with an experienced group will give you some direction in proper mechanics and typical roleplaying. There's a forum on this board dedicated to finding games in your area. Check it out.

- Keith
Hey guys, i got 2 question here.
1.Cleric's consecrated ground creates a zone that has the healing keyword, when he sustain this power does he gain the benefit of healer's lore?
2.Wizard's Enlarge Spell allows him to enlarge the radius of his spell by doing lesser dmg. can this work with attacks creating a zone? for exampled acid mire (wizard attack 5) do 3d6 + int, but on a sustain it become a zone that deals 5 dmg. it is stated that enlarge spell does not work for spells that need not roll for dmg, so does the zone get the enlarged benefit?
1.Cleric's consecrated ground creates a zone that has the healing keyword, when he sustain this power does he gain the benefit of healer's lore?

Nothing happens when he sustains the zone, so there's nothing for Healer's Lore to apply to.

However, it is a Cleric Healing power, and when bloodied allies start their turn in the zone it is healing them, so he applies Healer's Lore to the HP it restores.

2.Wizard's Enlarge Spell allows him to enlarge the radius of his spell by doing lesser dmg. can this work with attacks creating a zone? for exampled acid mire (wizard attack 5) do 3d6 + int, but on a sustain it become a zone that deals 5 dmg. it is stated that enlarge spell does not work for spells that need not roll for dmg, so does the zone get the enlarged benefit?

Acid Mire rolls for damage, so you *can* make it Burst 2 and have it do 3d6+INT-6 damage in the initial attack. After that, the entire Burst area becomes the Zone, so it stays Burst 2.

So, yes. Because Acid Mire rolls damage initially, you CAN use Enlarge Spell on it. Since it's enlarged, the zone it creates is enlarged. The same thing would happen if you used Icy Terrain - it would become Burst 2, and then create a Burst 2's worth of difficult terrain, even though the difficult terrain doesn't do damage.

What you CAN'T do with Enlarge Spell is use it on something like Sleep, where "-2 to each damage die" is meaningless since it has no damage dice.
that clears things up! thanks!
Welcome to the game! Not sure about a specific post or thread already in existence, but I can at least push you in the right direction here…

At a minimum, you'll need polyhedral dice (4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, etc.) and the Player's Handbook (PHB). This book alone is sufficient if you're going to be a player only. If you're going to be a dungeon master (DM), you'll need the Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG) and Monster Manual (MM) as well.

I strongly recommend you get involved with a group run by an experienced DM. The best way to learn is by playing the game, and playing with an experienced group will give you some direction in proper mechanics and typical roleplaying. There's a forum on this board dedicated to finding games in your area. Check it out.

- Keith

Cheers! I will check those books out and also have a llook into that board although I'd probably prefer to play with friends...
A clarification please:
My whole party, DM included is involved in an almost year long discussion about passive perception and perception checks. Can somebody point somewhere to get a clear explanation of what serves to do do what and what covers what?
Thank you.
Switching weapons is a minor action, right?
Switching weapons is a minor action, right?

Stowing a weapon is a minor, and drawing a weapon is a minor (unless you have quick draw). So, unless you have quick draw, switching is two minors. Alternately, you can drop one on the ground as a free action, and then draw the second as a single minor action.
A clarification please:
My whole party, DM included is involved in an almost year long discussion about passive perception and perception checks. Can somebody point somewhere to get a clear explanation of what serves to do do what and what covers what?
Thank you.

PHB pg 179 explains passive checks. It is in its most basic form, if you don't say, "I want to search here", but there is something hiding there (i.e. a creature using stealth to try and ambush you) the DM assumes you have rolled a 10. This gives him a target DC for the stealth check on the baddie.. or if there is an object hidden in rubble that requires a DC 15 on perception to find, if you Perception skill+10 equals more than 15, you will notice the item without really looking for it.

Passive checks are also used with Insight, and sometimes with Dungeoneering/Arcana and Nature (when trying to work out what you know about a creature)
If you have any 4E conceptual issues or rules that you would like help with feel free to PM me. Roleplaying since 88! Guide To Dealing With Problematic Posters
When you feint or enemy feint's you, you use your bluff vs their insight or vise versa. is that passive insight or do you roll? I would assume both parties would roll.
When you feint or enemy feint's you, you use your bluff vs their insight or vise versa. is that passive insight or do you roll? I would assume both parties would roll.

PHB pg 183:
Gain Combat Advantage: Once per combat encounter, you can try to gain combat advantage against an adjacent enemy by feinting. As a standard action, make a Bluff check opposed by the enemy’s Insight check.

That would appear to me to mean that both people roll.
Does the Alertness feat improve one's Passive Perception sense as well as regular (active) Perception?

- Keith
Does the Alertness feat improve one's Passive Perception sense as well as regular (active) Perception?

- Keith

Yes, Alertness improves your Perception bonus, which is part of your Passive Perception.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Q: If you have Quick Draw, a Paired Weapon enchantment on a Dagger, split the dagger and throw one of the split parts, can you reform the weapon as a free action after damage resolves? Or do both pieces of the weapon need to be in your hands in order to reform?
Ok, I used to play the "old" 1st and 2nd edition games years ago. I thought I'd start playing again. I bought 4th ed starter set....and I have to ask.....How do you know if you hit your opponet/target? In the days when I played there was Thac0 (to hit armor class 0).
Ok, I used to play the "old" 1st and 2nd edition games years ago. I thought I'd start playing again. I bought 4th ed starter set....and I have to ask.....How do you know if you hit your opponet/target? In the days when I played there was Thac0 (to hit armor class 0).

Since 3e, an attack bonus has replaced the THAC0 function. You roll 1d20, add the attack bonus and compare to the defence (AC, Fort, Ref or Will). If the total is greater or equal to the defence, you hit, otherwise you miss.

AC no longer goes from -10 to 10, it (and the other defenses) starts at 10 and goes up to about 48 for the most badass monsters.

The attack bonus is: (half your level, round down) + (ability modifier*) + (magic item's enhancement bonus) + (IF it is a weapon attack, the weapon proficiency bonus**) + (other bonuses).

*The attack power will specify which of your 6 ability scores must be used.
**The attack power must have the weapon keyword.

Example: let's say you're a 9th level cleric using a +2 battleaxe. If an attack says "Strength vs. AC" and your strength is 18, the attack bonus is: 4 (half level) + 4 (str. mod.) + 2 (magic battleaxe) + 2 (battleaxe prof. bonus) = +12.

Roll 1d20+12, match or beat the target's AC to hit. To give you an idea, a 9th level enemy should have an AC of about 21 (easy) to 27 (really hard).
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Thanks, I had posted this q in 2 different areas (I was not sure where it fit in). Anyway, your answer is what I thought, more or less, the starter kit guide was not very clear, so I wanted to make sure. I appreciate it.
Thanks, I had posted this q in 2 different areas (I was not sure where it fit in). Anyway, your answer is what I thought, more or less, the starter kit guide was not very clear, so I wanted to make sure. I appreciate it.

There's a bit more to it, but that's it in a nutshell. The Player's Handbook is more complete. If you have more questions concerning this, don't hesitate to post them here.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Stowing a weapon is a minor...

I have a question which is linked to this but involved a shield;

How many actions does it take (and what type) to stow a shield, stow a one hand weapon and then draw a two hand weapon?

I'm currently in a transition period with my character who I’m trying to 'migrate' both mechanically and in RP from sword and board to a great spear. Right now I have sword, shield and a long spear. I just wanted to find out how many actions it takes to change during the fight to switch between them seen as I need two hands for my great spear. I'm a little confused as I saw that the DMS Updates mentioned something about stowing a Shield as a Standard Action. Help much appreciated.
How many actions does it take (and what type) to stow a shield, stow a one hand weapon and then draw a two hand weapon?
[...]

Yes, stowing or equipping a shield is a standard action.
There has recently been a discussion about this, but if it were a minor then people could stow it, use a weapon with the versaitle keyword two-handed (and therefor gain +1 to damage), use a standard action power, use the versatile weapon one-handed, and equip the shield, gaining the shield bonus to AC.
this would bring the maths of two-handed weapons a little off, i guess.
reference: PH 289
and: "Minor action: Draw or sheathe a weapon"
So we are looking at One standard action for the shield and one minor action per draw/stow of a weapon. Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
In my Monster Manual under the entry for the Trap Haunt (page 116) it says 'Recharge z', is this a typo, or does it mean something else? I can't find anything about it...

Ghostly Possession (standard; recharge z ) ✦ Charm

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.