Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5110 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thanks, Lord of Weasels, now that you pointed it out it seems pretty obvious, I appreciate your reply.  With regard to the Monk's Damage output, I do use the At-Will powers, most of which do 1D10+Dex damage.  I do have a Ki Focus but it is not magical and as such does not convey any bonuses.  
This is my first time playing 4e, so I am still getting the hang of using powers and how to get the most out of my character.
I am always open to good advice and I can see how the +1 dmg/tier is going to look pretty bad a few sessions in now that you mention it.  I may talk to my DM about making some minor changes before we meet again.
Thanks again!
Thanks, Lord of Weasels, now that you pointed it out it seems pretty obvious, I appreciate your reply.  With regard to the Monk's Damage output, I do use the At-Will powers, most of which do 1D10+Dex damage.  I do have a Ki Focus but it is not magical and as such does not convey any bonus.  I am always open to good advice and I can see how the +1 dmg/tier is going to look pretty bad a few sessions in now that you mention it.  I may talk to my DM about making some minor changes before we meet again.
Thanks again! 

+1/tier damage isn't bad, you just don't want it on your "unarmed strike" because that's not the Implement that's running all your powers for you.

You want to lose Melee Training and Weapon Focus, in favour of Ki Focus Expertise and Implement Focus: Ki Focus.  That will give you +1 to hit with all your Implement attacks (which is ALL YOUR MONK ATTACKS.  MBA is not your strong suit.  Ignore it for now), +1 damage against Bloodied Targets (half of all targets, on average, will be Bloodied when you hit them, because things spend half their lives Bloodied) and then +1 damage/tier on all attacks.

Despite "Monk Unarmed Strike", monks don't actually use weapons, they use implements.  Even if you're barehanded, you should be using "Ki Focus" attacks exclusively.

You will only ever use Monk Unarmed Strike: Melee Basic Attack when you are taking an Opportunity Attack, or when you're Charging and you can't find any way to use a Monk attack.  In those cases, Monk Unarmed Strike is better than nothing, but not good.  So you're much better off trying to find ways to never have to use that attack than spending Feats to make that attack better.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Awesome info, thanks man!
I switched around my feats as you suggested, to The Ki Focus Expertise and Implement Focus (Ki Focus).  Then I added Unarmored Defense and was pleasantly surprised to find the AC bonus stacked with my class feature.  This setup has me hitting with +7 to-hit bonus, and +6 damage on my powers, which is a significant improvement over what I was getting (+5 to-hit, +5 dmg).  But I seem to have hit some weird ceiling, I can't get the to-hit and dmg bonuses to go up at all, even by equipping a magic ki focus +1.  Don't know if I'm missing some magic math or if I am not using the builder correctly.
Awesome info, thanks man!
I switched around my feats as you suggested, to The Ki Focus Expertise and Implement Focus (Ki Focus).  Then I added Unarmored Defense and was pleasantly surprised to find the AC bonus stacked with my class feature.  This setup has me hitting with +7 to-hit bonus, and +6 damage on my powers, which is a significant improvement over what I was getting (+5 to-hit, +5 dmg).  But I seem to have hit some weird ceiling, I can't get the to-hit and dmg bonuses to go up at all, even by equipping a magic ki focus +1.  Don't know if I'm missing some magic math or if I am not using the builder correctly.

I'm not sure, but my immediate suggestion would be that you have "Inherent Bonuses" ticked as a campaign option, and thus at L2 you're considered to be using a +1 implement/weapon all the time ANYWAY.

And the +7/+6 bears me out:  You should have +4 (Dex) +1 (Expertise) +1 (half-level) = +6 to hit and +4 (Dex) +1 (Focus) = +5 to damage with no magic, unless I've missed something obvious.

With Inherent Bonuses, simply by being level 2 you'd have a +1 Enhancement bonus to both of those, giving you +7/+6, which wouldn't stack with a +1 Ki Focus.

Equip a +2 Ki Focus, see if your numbers go to +8/+7?  If so:  Yup, inherent bonuses are in there somewhere.  Check with your DM to see if you should be using those or not.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Yeah, ok you're a genius.
Thanks man, I appreciate all the help! 
Is there a rule quote that addresses Condtions and going unconsicence?
Say I'm slowed save ends, does the condtion drop if I fall unconsicence? Or  if I'm healed do I still have to roll out of being slowed?
Then can I apply that rule to all condtions?

oh yeah, 4E. 
Is there a rule quote that addresses Condtions and going unconsicence?
Say I'm slowed save ends, does the condtion drop if I fall unconsicence? Or  if I'm healed do I still have to roll out of being slowed?
Then can I apply that rule to all condtions?

oh yeah, 4E. 

Yes, there's a rule:  If something SAYS it ends when you fall unconscious, it does.  If it doesn't say it ends when you fall unconscious, it doesn't.

Nothing says "Slowed Save Ends" ends when you fall unconscious, so it doesn't.  Marks and Stances *do* say they end when you fall unconscious, so they do. 

(PS:  You still get a turn while unconscious even if you don't get any actions, so you still process things:  You still take Ongoing Damage while out cold, and you still roll Saves to end conditions, etc)
Ok I am sure this question has been asked and answered a dozen times but I can't find it.

On creating a Wizard(mage)
it allows you to choose -two at will- Two encounters- Two dailys

On creating a Wizard arcanist it specifies spell book it does not on mage so just need clarification.

Question - What power can you use in between extended rest ?

A. can you use all of these each day
b. You can use both at wills but must memorize one encounter and one daily
c. Can use both at will and both encounters but must memorize only one daily.
Ok I am sure this question has been asked and answered a dozen times but I can't find it.

On creating a Wizard(mage)
it allows you to choose -two at will- Two encounters- Two dailys

On creating a Wizard arcanist it specifies spell book it does not on mage so just need clarification.

Question - What power can you use in between extended rest ?

A. can you use all of these each day
b. You can use both at wills but must memorize one encounter and one daily
c. Can use both at will and both encounters but must memorize only one daily.

B.  With a couple of slight clarifications:

Mage (as opposed to Arcanist) gets two At-wills, and Magic Missile, all at-will, usable all day every day, forever.  No daily choices on these At-wills.

They also get the Spellbook feature.  The Mage's spellbook feature (which is subtly different from the Arcanist's) says:

"At the end of each of your extended rests, you can prepare encounter attack powers, daily attack powers, and utility powers from your spellbook. These are the powers that you can use during that day, in addition to your at-will attack powers, cantrips, and nonwizard powers, such as a racial power."

There's a table that says how many spells you get per day, and you can pick any of the spells you know each day, provided:
#1:  Right number of spells of each type
#2:  Not more than one spell of each level.

So at level 1, you know two Encounter powers and two Daily powers, and the table says you can memorise one of each.  So, each day, you choose one of each, and those are your powers until tomorrow.

Once you've made your choices, you're stuck with them all day.  And you have three at-wills (the two you picked and also Magic Missile), one Encounter power (the same one) in every Encounter, and one Daily power.

Once you hit level 2, you will learn two Utility powers and will choose one or the other each day.
Once you hit level 3, you will learn two more Encounter powers and can now choose *two* Encounter powers per day, but not more than one of the same level.  Meaning, one of your two L1 powers and one of your two L3 powers.

Clearer? 

Crystal Thanx

Is teleportation on the verticla axis technically allowed?  By fourth level, my avenger can teleport a monster 5 squares in the air, meaning 2d10 damage.

Teleporting vertically is allowed. If a creature would be teleported into a space which would cause it to fall or into hindering terrain, they get a saving throw to avoid being teleported (Rules Compendium p.213). So your avenger can try to zap the monster up, but it gets a chance to save.

Slightly noobish question here, but my knight has a warhammer in his main hand, and a fighting heavy shield in his offhand. How do I go about making an attack with the shield, since it can be treated as a melee weapon? Is it as simple as declaring it as a second attack, and adjusting the attack roll values (eg remove the bonuses from the warhammer, then add on the shield's bonuses?)

Dankeschoen in advance.

You get to attack once as a standard action using one of your equipped weapons.  Having a fighting shield doesn't make you ablee to attack again unless you have a power that says you can if you're wielding 2 melee weapons.  Which you don't, as a Knight.

Fighting Shield isn't something you should be bothering with.  Use Bracers of Mighty Striking in your Arms slot.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Question about dominating a ranged character. If a ranger with twin strike gets dominated, while wielding an unloaded crossbow, can the dominator force him to use twin strike (reloading in the process), or would he have to use his one action to reload the crossbow (so using a melee basic attack instead would be more useful)?

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

Assuming this is a character without Speed Loader, he wouldn't be able to shoot with an unloaded crossbow.  You could, however, cause him to make an improvised RBA, run, charge, etc.

Assuming it IS a character without speed loader, yow.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Thanks for your reply, the character has a hand crossbow. I checke the compendium again and found an answer: Because of the bolded part, reloading a ranged weapon with "load free" can be done as part of the attack.

Load Free (Ranged weapons that loose projectiles, including bows, crossbows, and slings, take some time to load. When a weapon shows “load free” on the ranged weapons table, that means you draw and load ammunition as a free action, effectively part of the action used to attack with the weapon. Any weapon that has the load property requires two hands to load, even if you can use only one hand to attack with it.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

With HAND crossbow, they don't need to load it before shooting, it can be loaded as part of the action, so they can shoot just fine when Dominated.

Quick one about Ranger....

Does a ranger need to be a beast master to quality for an animal companion? Can a dual weapon blade master have his companion latter in the game? Trough a feat maybe? I guess it´s possible, but don´t have the books available right now, if someone knows it and can give me a tip...

Rupert_ADnD wrote:

Quick one about Ranger....

Does a ranger need to be a beast master to quality for an animal companion? Can a dual weapon blade master have his companion latter in the game? Trough a feat maybe? I guess it´s possible, but don´t have the books available right now, if someone knows it and can give me a tip...

Sorry you have to have the class feature  that gives you the ranger's beast companion in order to have the rangers beast companion and that is not one of the class features that can be from a feat like some wizard and rogue.

The Fey Beast Tammer theme gives you a pet that is a bit better then the ranger beast but it dose not work with any of the ranger BEAST powers or feats.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Hey, thanks Sea-Envy. 

q#427 in the starter set there is a dwarf fighter, wearing scale mail, using throwing daggers. He has dex13.

it says that his ranged attack has +3 bonus.

As I see this should have been +4 (+3 for dagger profficient and +1 for dex)

What did I miss?

Oath of Final Duel:

Can I activate it before my avenger engages the enemy? Let's say my enemy is at 10 squares of my avenger, can I use the oath to teleport to  a square adjacent to him?

Q#428 Does the new Vigilante theme stance power essentially make it so hybrid Swordmages can reapply their mark each round?

sancris wrote:

Oath of Final Duel:

Can I activate it before my avenger engages the enemy? Let's say my enemy is at 10 squares of my avenger, can I use the oath to teleport to  a square adjacent to him?

No, it's on the effect line of a melee weapon power. So you need to attack the target within your weapon reach before the effect will trigger.

Arktix wrote:
Q#428 Does the new Vigilante theme stance power essentially make it so hybrid Swordmages can reapply their mark each round?

A generic mark is not the same as an Aegis mark, so no. Works for hybrid fighters and wardens though.

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Fardiz: You could, however, I think use it as a generic mark to knock your Aegis off the current target, which IIRC even for the Hybrid recharges it so you could use it on someone else?

That's exactly what I was thinking, thespaceinvader.  And yes, superceeding the mark with another one makes it recharge.  I just wanted to clarify in case there was something I was missing.

Fardiz, thanks dude.

How do I open powers from the compendium in a new window? I used to know how to do it, so I could post links in the forums to powers.  But I forgot how to do it!

Ran into a little situation last night regarding resists, Gloves of piercing, and ongoing damage. Here's what we were working with:

Creatures with 10 poison resist

Power  Daily (Minor Action)

Until the end of the encounter, your attacks ignore any resistance of 10 or lower.

and

Sorcerer Attack 9Contagious Curse

A cloud of poison gas coils around your foe, warding off help.

Daily        Arcane, Implement, Poison
Standard Action      Ranged 10

Target: One creature

Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude

Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier poison damage.

Effect: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier. The target is poisonous to your enemies (save ends). While the target is poisonous, any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to the target takes 1d10 poison damage.

Wild Magic: If you rolled an even number on the attack roll, any enemy that starts its turn within 2 squares of the poisonous target takes 1d10 poison damage.

I used my gloves before the attack and hit my main target, so at the start of the 5 creatures who go before my main targets turn, they will take the 1d10+21 poison damage.

Here in lies the question and the argument from a worried DM that sees a good amount of unavoidable damage about to go out.

Does the effect from the Gloves of Piercing carry over to the start of turn damage?

It was a hard topic to discuss at the time as we were both pretty biased of the outcome based on the amount of damage.  Any help would be much apprieciated in case a similar sete of events happens again.

@MrJarth

My take on it, is that the resist 10 or lower only affects the initial attacks. Meaning ongoing and the like wouldn't be affected, however I don't know if that's true.

I've got a few questions I need to be clear on.

1. Does a Ranger's Hunter's Quarry alert enemies?

2. When playing as my Warden lets say I mark an enemy. That enemy then attacks me, however an ally uses Guardian's Counter. Does that mean I'm allowed to use a mark response? At first I wouldn't think so, but it clearly says you become the target and the inital attack is no longer against you nor including you in the attack. So is this right?

Guardian's Counter

Seeing a friend in danger, you step up to take the attack meant for your ally—and then you strike back.

Encounter        Martial
Immediate Interrupt      Close burst 2

Trigger: An ally within 2 squares of you is hit by an attack and you are not included in the attack.

Effect: You and the ally shift up to 2 squares as a free action, swapping positions. You become the target of the triggering attack, in place of the ally. After the attack is resolved, you can make a basic attack against the attacker.

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

1: I believe so (creatures generally know effects on them, c.f. Assassin's Shroud for wording which gets round this), but your DM would be welcome to rule otherwise, and I think it would make sense.

2: Depends on the mark response.  The Warden one is an immediate reaction IIRC, so that would work.

thespaceinvader wrote:

1: I believe so (creatures generally know effects on them, c.f. Assassin's Shroud for wording which gets round this), but your DM would be welcome to rule otherwise, and I think it would make sense.

2: Depends on the mark response.  The Warden one is an immediate reaction IIRC, so that would work.

Thanks for the response.

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

I have a quick question. I am a beginning player. I am playing with my 4 kids ages 8 to 12.

Does a characters HP rise when the characters level go up. For instance,  a level 1 human wizard has a HP of 22. Where would I find the information for this?

The materials I have are the Red Box, Player's Handbook, Players Handbook 2 and Monster's Manual. Right now we are playing the Red Box scenarios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Pretty new to DnD, living in Belgium and wanting to play! Some friends and I want to play Dnd. I found out that the Red Box was a good place to start, so I went to a local store. The owner told me he didn't have any Red Box (starter ed.) left and wasn't getting any more because of a new edition being in the make.
So... I don't really seem to find a Red Box anywhere in the area. Do I try to get one anyhow? Do I wait for a new Starter Edition? ....

Thanks,

Jelle

shockwaveops wrote:

I have a quick question. I am a beginning player. I am playing with my 4 kids ages 8 to 12.

Does a characters HP rise when the characters level go up. For instance,  a level 1 human wizard has a HP of 22. Where would I find the information for this?

The materials I have are the Red Box, Player's Handbook, Players Handbook 2 and Monster's Manual. Right now we are playing the Red Box scenarios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep.  It's in the books the full classes are published in (PHB1 will list the Wizard's progression, for example), and in the Character builder.  Generally, HP will be X + Constitution score, +y per level, where x and y are class-based.  Worth noting that as and when your CON score increases as you level, so does your HP.

Nightx7 wrote:

Hi,

Pretty new to DnD, living in Belgium and wanting to play! Some friends and I want to play Dnd. I found out that the Red Box was a good place to start, so I went to a local store. The owner told me he didn't have any Red Box (starter ed.) left and wasn't getting any more because of a new edition being in the make.
So... I don't really seem to find a Red Box anywhere in the area. Do I try to get one anyhow? Do I wait for a new Starter Edition? ....

Thanks,

Jelle

Amazon might have some left, otherwise Ebay, but the Red Box was never the best starting point anyway.  You could wait for D&D Next if you want (or, indeed, download the playtest rules which are already available) but you may be better served getting hold of some 4e books, or picking up another D&D-like system.  I recommend Dungeon World.

Hi. I have a question.

Can a ranger get scale mail? i cant seem to pick the feats for it in the char. builder?

Thomas.

Does your character meet the prerequisites for the feats? You need STR and CON of 13 to get them.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Is it possible to return a Ghoul (who wants to) back to his human form?

I don't see why not.  There's no RAW way to do it AFAICT, but there's no reason you couldn't go on some plot-related quest or ritual to find a way.  It's the sort of thing adventures are built on.

Sign In to post comments