Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5052 posts / 0 new
Last post
Continued thread.

(From Mudbunny's post)
(As inspired by Surreal, in the CharOp forum)

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catch-all for minor questions or mundane rules queries that don't really warrant a new thread here at the General Discussion boards (and thus in a way, hopefully reduce the clutter of redundant threads). If you have a more detailed question about a character build or certain rulesets, etc, then I suggest posting a new thread in the appropriate forum to get a more proper response.

All newcomers and regulars alike are welcome to ask questions, and I encourage all the GD residents to do their best to answer them.

When asking a question, preface it with a Q## where ## is the next number according to whatever the last question was.

When answering a question, preface it was A## which obviously corresponds to the question you're answering (or quote the question when appropriate).

This is a thread to ask questions about 4E D&D that don't fall under any of the other forum topics.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Here's the link to the original [LINK]. I figure this way new people can see what this is all about and if they want to (although I never would be brave enough to :P ) they can read through it.
Continued thread.

Thank you for the reset, Webster.

Maybe, seeing as you hold the first post, you could edit it with some form of intro to what this thread is about?

Maybe use Mudbunny's original post, minus the bit about question numbering (it's useless and people can't keep it accurate anyway):

Edited from Mudbunny's
The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catch-all for minor questions or mundane rules queries that don't really warrant a new thread here at the General Discussion boards (and thus in a way, hopefully reduce the clutter of redundant threads). If you have a more detailed question about a character build or certain rulesets, etc, then I suggest posting a new thread in the appropriate forum to get a more proper response.

All newcomers and regulars alike are welcome to ask questions, and I encourage all the GD residents to do their best to answer them.

When answering a question, quote the question you're answering so it is obvious what you are refering to.

This is a thread to ask questions about 4E D&D that don't fall under any of the other forum topics.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Druid At-Will 1, Call Of THe Wild:

If there are *two* allies equidistant from the target, what happens?

Does the DRUID pick which the target "must" attack?
Does the TARGET pick which the target "must" attack?
Does the power affect both - so attacking either is safe, but attacking someone who isn't either of them burns you?
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Does the DRUID pick which the target "must" attack?
Does the TARGET pick which the target "must" attack?
Does the power affect both - so attacking either is safe, but attacking someone who isn't either of them burns you?

I would say this. Either one of them would qualify as "your ally nearest to it".

(also, it's "Call of the Beast". Took me a couple minutes to figure out why the Compendium wasn't finding it. :D )
There's a bit in the PHB that says whenever an effect specifies the "nearest" enemy or ally and there's more than one target the same distance away, you choose the target (something that comes up often in my game as an example: the hunter is usually equidistant from several things so he can choose who to quarry). So as the DM I'd say the druid would have to pick one ally that the enemy gets punished for not attacking.
There's a bit in the PHB that says whenever an effect specifies the "nearest" enemy or ally and there's more than one target the same distance away, you choose the target (something that comes up often in my game as an example: the hunter is usually equidistant from several things so he can choose who to quarry). So as the DM I'd say the druid would have to pick one ally that the enemy gets punished for not attacking.

I'm not sure about that. Here's the passage you're refering to:

[INDENT]PHB p.273, "Range":
"Nearest Creature or Square: To determine the nearest creature or square to you, count distance normally. When two or more squares or creatures are equally close, you can pick either one as the nearest."[/INDENT]

I would rather think it's the guy acting (in this case, the enemy under the effect of Call of the Beast) who gets to decide how to break any range ties.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
PHB 273 is convincing, but the *actor* for Call Of The Beast is the Druid:

Hit: The target can’t gain combat advantage until the end
of your next turn. In addition, on its next turn the target
takes psychic damage equal to 5 + your Wisdom modi-
fier when it makes any attack that doesn’t include your
ally nearest to it as a target.

At the same time, I can just see the Druid blasting a guy with this and picking the Ranger as the guy you can't hit, and the Fighter who's got the target Marked and stomped gets a free shot *or* the guy takes 9 damage.

So, I think I'll let the *target* pick in case of problems.

Thanks!
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Possibly stupid question ahead. You have been warned. ;)

Q: As a Swordmage, would I need to get both Implement Expertise and Weapon Expertise to gain the hit bonus to all powers I choose, or will Weapon Expertise alone suffice?

My question stems from the fact that while the feats are perfectly clear on their own, what with specifying as applying to "... implement powers..." and "... weapon powers..." respectively, the Swordmage also says that swords are used as both for them. This question would also extend to other classes that can use weapons as implements, though I'm not entirely sure off the top of my head if other classes have both weapon and implement powers and still use the same item for both.
"Implement Expertise" applies only to powers with the Implement keyword.
"Weapon Expertise" applies only to powers with the Weapon keyword.

("Focused Expertise" from PHB3 applies to both. In all cases, they're a correction to the fundamental error in the mechanics that leads to people get worse at hitting as their level goes up.)
PHB 273 is convincing, but the *actor* for Call Of The Beast is the Druid:

At the same time, I can just see the Druid blasting a guy with this and picking the Ranger as the guy you can't hit, and the Fighter who's got the target Marked and stomped gets a free shot *or* the guy takes 9 damage.

So, I think I'll let the *target* pick in case of problems.

Thanks!

The "who's the actor now" question is certainly legitimate. Here is my take on it:

The actor at the time the power is played is the Druid.

But the actor during the target's next turn would be the target itself. It's its turn, it gets to pick the target(s) of its attack(s) and determine range, and it is at this time that the special target requirements imposed by Call Of The Beast is verified (because it is likely to change between between the druid's and the target's turns).
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
i have a question i am new to dnd and i want to know how lay on hands works?
"Implement Expertise" applies only to powers with the Implement keyword.
"Weapon Expertise" applies only to powers with the Weapon keyword.

("Focused Expertise" from PHB3 applies to both. In all cases, they're a correction to the fundamental error in the mechanics that leads to people get worse at hitting as their level goes up.)

Heh, figures. Well, sounds like it's house-ruling time, then. Thanks for the answer.
Maurishio:
i have a question i am new to dnd and i want to know how lay on hands works?

PHB, page 91:
============================
Lay on Hands Paladin Feature
Your divine touch instantly heals wounds.
At-Will (Special) ✦ Divine, Healing
Special: You can use this power a number of times per day
equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), but only once
per round.
Minor Action Melee touch
Target: One creature
Effect: You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points.
Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a
healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge
remaining to use this power.
============================

What's unclear? It's a Minor Action, you have to be able to touch the target, you spend a Surge and they get a Surge's worth of healing.

Can you elaborate on what you're confused about?
Ok, sorry if this is dumb, but here goes. In earlier editions, making magic items was easy. In 4E it is also, but with the exception of if I wanted to make gloves of invisibility, my ritual would enchant the item, and then I cast greater invisibility on the item, does the item get treated as a daily power because the spell is daily, and can I sustain the effect as a minor action as the spell suggests??
Another question,

Sorcerers get Daggers as implements. How do I determine which weapon properties apply to my spells?

Example from the PHB:

Property

Some magic items have a special property that is constantly

active (or active under certain conditions). A

property doesn’t normally require any action to use,

although some properties allow you to turn them off

(or on again).

When you’re wielding a holy avenger, all your radiant

powers deal extra damage when you use the

weapon to deliver them. You don’t need to turn this

property on or off.

However these are some weapon properties that I don't know if they work:

Feyslaughter Weapon Level 9+

A bane of fey and teleporting creatures, this blackened weapon

is favored by many hunters.

Lvl 9 +2 4,200 gp Lvl 24 +5 525,000 gp

Lvl 14 +3 21,000 gp Lvl 29 +3 2,625,000 gp

Lvl 19 +4 105,000 gp

Weapon: Any

Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls

Critical: +1d6 damage per plus, or +1d10 damage per plus

against fey creatures.

Property: When you hit a creture with this weapon, that

creature cannot teleport until the end of your next turn.

Controlling Weapon Level 8+

Waves of force radiate from this polearm when it hits its target,

forcing the creature to move.

Lvl 8 +2 3,400 gp Lvl 23 +5 425,000 gp

Lvl 13 +3 17,000 gp Lvl 28 +6 2,125,000 gp

Lvl 18 +4 85,000 gp

Weapon: Polearm

Critical: +1d6 damage per plus

Property: When you pull or push a target with this weapon,

increase the effect by 1 square.

Distance Weapon Level 1+

This weapon flashes brightly as it hurtles forth, moving with

enough force to carry it much farther than normal.

Lvl 1 +1 360 gp Lvl 16 +4 45,000 gp

Lvl 6 +2 1,800 gp Lvl 21 +5 225,000 gp

Lvl 11 +3 9,000 gp Lvl 26 +6 1,125,000 gp

Weapon: Any ranged

Critical: None

Property: Increase the weapon’s normal range by 5 squares

and the long range by 10 squares.

(This would make my max range of spells 25)

Jagged Weapon Level 12+

This weapon is pitted, scarred, and unadorned, but it deals

grievous wounds.

Lvl 12 +3 13,000 gp Lvl 22 +5 325,000 gp

Lvl 17 +4 65,000 gp Lvl 27 +6 1,625,000 gp

Weapon: Axe, Heavy Blade, Light Blade

Critical: Ongoing 10 damage

Level 22 and 27: Ongoing 20 damage

Property: This weapon scores critical hits on a 19 or 20.

Can any of these properties be used as implements to effect spells by the sorcerer class? (Or any spellcasting class)
Player's Handbook 2, page 204, "Using a Weapon as an Implement":

If you're able to wield a magic weapon as an implement and use an implement power through it, you add the weapon's enhancement bonus to the power's attack rolls and damage rolls, but you do not use the weapon's proficiency bonus. If you score a critical hit with the magic weapon when using it as an implement, you use the weapon's critical hit effect.

Properties should still apply. Note that of the weapon types you listed, only the Feyslaughter and Jagged are valid for daggers (Controlling is only for polearms, and Distance is only for ranged weapons).
Ok, sorry if this is dumb, but here goes. In earlier editions, making magic items was easy. In 4E it is also, but with the exception of if I wanted to make gloves of invisibility, my ritual would enchant the item, and then I cast greater invisibility on the item, does the item get treated as a daily power because the spell is daily, and can I sustain the effect as a minor action as the spell suggests??

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Enchant Magic Item lets you make a magic item. The ritual is all you need. You don't cast any spells, and the magic item works exactly the way the description of the magic item *says* it works.

So if you made Guantlets Of Ogre Power, they'd work exactly like the Gaunlets Of Ogre Power from the PHB do.

"Gloves Of Invisibility" don't exist, so you can't make them. Perhaps you meant a Cloak Of Invisibility? If so, the one you create will work exactly like the Cloak Of Invisibility in the PHB.
But do the properties translate through the spells? Does a spell cast through the implement also have the effect on the spells themselves?
Property: Increase the weapon’s normal range by 5 squares

and the long range by 10 squares.

So does tht mean the range of spells is increased by 10?
No, because that enchantment CANNOT BE APPLIED TO A DAGGER. Daggers are melee weapons, and melee weapons cannot take weapon enchantments that specify ranged weapons only.

But if you had a Jagged Dagger that you were using as an implement, you could get the crit on 19+ and the "ongoing 10 save ends" on crits.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Enchant Magic Item lets you make a magic item. The ritual is all you need. You don't cast any spells, and the magic item works exactly the way the description of the magic item *says* it works.

So if you made Guantlets Of Ogre Power, they'd work exactly like the Gaunlets Of Ogre Power from the PHB do.

"Gloves Of Invisibility" don't exist, so you can't make them. Perhaps you meant a Cloak Of Invisibility? If so, the one you create will work exactly like the Cloak Of Invisibility in the PHB.

My question is if someone wants to make something that doesn't exist, does the item act exactly as the spell does? Why can't you make something that doesn't exist? By the rules, I could take a cloak of invisibility, and using the ritual transfer enchantment, I could move that enchantment to another "neck" item. My question is if I wanted a different cloak, could I make the gloves with the same properties as the Cloak Of Invisibility? If so, there is a minor sustain property, does that translate to the item?
My question is if someone wants to make something that doesn't exist, does the item act exactly as the spell does? Why can't you make something that doesn't exist? By the rules, I could take a cloak of invisibility, and using the ritual transfer enchantment, I could move that enchantment to another "neck" item. My question is if I wanted a different cloak, could I make the gloves with the same properties as the Cloak Of Invisibility? If so, there is a minor sustain property, does that translate to the item?

There are no rules for creating new, never-seen-before-in-a-book, magic items. Nor for transfering the magic of an item from one form to another (from a neck slot to a hands slot item, for example).

So by default, you can't do any of the things you are suggesting.

But, D&D 4e is the "make stuff up" edition. It doesn't have rarely used fringe rules because the recommended way is to make stuff up. If you want to create a new magic item, define it in collaboration with your DM and if you get the final approval, then your PC can use the ritual to create it.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"

By default: you can't make items that don't exist, but you *can* reskin items freely using the EMA ritual. If you wanted to wear "gloves" that work just like a Cloak Of Invisibility, you'd have a Cloak Of Invisibility, with all the associated mechanics, that happens to be on your hands.

(It would even still occupy your "neck slot" despite not being around your neck, because the "slots" are a restriction based on enchantment type, not physical location. You could alter a Ring Of Regeneration into an Earring Of Regeneration or a Nosering Of Regeneration, or even Bracers or Boots of Regeneration, and it would still take up a "ring slot".)
thanks for the imput I appreciate the quick answers
Player's Handbook 2, page 204, "Using a Weapon as an Implement":

Properties should still apply. Note that of the weapon types you listed, only the Feyslaughter and Jagged are valid for daggers (Controlling is only for polearms, and Distance is only for ranged weapons).

Ok, I was just flipping around to find examples of properties at the time so I was paying less attention to the weapon type.

The quote from PHB2 did not specifically mention properties and I didn't want to just jump to that conclusion.

Why doesn't distance Weapon work since a Dagger is both a ranged and a melee weapon?

From the PHB:

A melee weapon with the heavy thrown or the light thrown

property counts as a ranged weapon when thrown and

can be used with ranged attack powers that have the

weapon keyword.

Does that make any difference to the idea that ranged properties can't be used on daggers and do they translate to the spells if used as an implement?
There are no rules for creating new, never-seen-before-in-a-book, magic items. Nor for transfering the magic of an item from one form to another (from a neck slot to a hands slot item, for example).

So by default, you can't do any of the things you are suggesting.

But, D&D 4e is the "make stuff up" edition. It doesn't have rarely used fringe rules because the recommended way is to make stuff up. If you want to create a new magic item, define it in collaboration with your DM and if you get the final approval, then your PC can use the ritual to create it.

If you were the DM, would a pair of gloves of invisibility be acceptable? The reality is the properties from the greater invisibility spell placed on gloves would be the recipe per se. I'll ask my group also, but wanted experienced gamers opinions also
If you were the DM, would a pair of gloves of invisibility be acceptable? The reality is the properties from the greater invisibility spell placed on gloves would be the recipe per se. I'll ask my group also, but wanted experienced gamers opinions also

Off the top of my head, as long as you put only the invisibility power on the gloves, and not the bonus to Fort/Will/Ref defenses, I'd probably allow it. You'd have gloves of invisibility, and your neck slot would be free for something else.

Or, you could do as LordOfWeasels suggest, and make the cloak into a pair of gloves that still counts as your neck item. It this case, you could transfer all the magic of the cloak, defense bonus and all, to the gloves. Your neck slot would count as being occupied, and as long as it makes sense and the gloves are not too cumbersome (i.e. not Fur Mittens of Invisibility, or Armored Gauntlets of Invisibility), I suppose your hands slot could still accept an item.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
You're right, a dagger can accept ranged weapon enhancements, as "any ranged" also applies to melee weapons with the light thrown or heavy thrown property. However, that particular property increases the weapon's range, not the power's. This means you can throw the dagger farther on a power that says "Ranged weapon." Since most ranged implement powers use their own specific ranged, such as "Ranged 10," that property doesn't increase the range. The range of distance dagger when thrown is 10/20 instead of 5/10 but an acid orb cast through a dagger is still 20, not 25/30.
Thank you for the clarification that is very helpful
im planning on running a camping in luruar.
im researching the area and i cant find info on darkarrow keep and xammux.
can any one here tell me about these places?
MAP
Hey my ???? is about the spell sleep if i hit a charecter with this spell do they have to make a save to not go to sleep and then a save to become unslowed. or if they make the save they are free of all efects. and if they feel and go to sleep do the make a save to wake up and then a save to become unslowed.

ty
Another question:
Do these powers hit only 1 target or multiple targets?

Transferance Weapon

Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit

with the weapon. Transfer a condition or ongoing damage

effect that is affecting you to the target you hit. The

condition or ongoing damage continues to run its course

as normal on the target.

Vampiric Weapon

Power (Daily ✦ Healing, Necrotic): Free Action. Use this

power when you make a successful attack with the

weapon. That attack deals an extra 1d8 necrotic damage,

and you regain an equal amount of hit points.

Thoughtstealer Weapon

Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you

hit with the weapon. Make a secondary attack against

the target’s Will defense. The attack bonus is equal

to the level of this weapon plus its enhancement

bonus. If the attack hits, you learn the answer to a

question that the subject knows the answer to and

which can be answered by a “yes” or “no.”

If the subject doesn’t know the answer, the

power fails.
Hey my ???? is about the spell sleep if i hit a charecter with this spell do they have to make a save to not go to sleep and then a save to become unslowed. or if they make the save they are free of all efects. and if they feel and go to sleep do the make a save to wake up and then a save to become unslowed.

The two effects are separate. The target must save *twice* every round, once against Slowed and once against Unconscious. If he saves against one and not the other, the other still affects him.
Another question:
Do these powers hit only 1 target or multiple targets?

Transferance Weapon

Specifies single target, so affects a single target.

Vampiric Weapon

Specifies single *attack*, increases the damage *on that attack* - so would increase damage dealt to every target on a multi-target attack. However, you still only gain the HP once.

Thoughtstealer Weapon

Seems intended to clearly hit a single target.
thankyou, my thoughts exactly, but now that the players in my group know I have access to this forum, the questions are fast and furious. Thanks for you patience
Can you consume a desert rose (as a free action) when you're stunned?

Scenario: You attack monster, then the Monster stuns you. As a free action(out of turn) you consume the rose. Following round, when your turn comes around, you sustain the power using the power of the desert rose.

Doable?
PHB1 pg 277: Stunned characters can't take actions.

Free Actions are actions.

So, a Stunned character can't take Free Actions.
Can a warforged character embed an armor that he is not proficient with?
Level 1 Wizard with expanded spellbook...
Acid Arrow and Sleep
Can she cast acid arrow once that day and sleep later that day or can she cast only ONE of them that day?
(she'll be level 5 soon, doubt that makes a difference)
She can only cast one of those spells that day, and she needs to pick which one is "prepared" (i.e. able to be cast) each time she takes an extended rest.
Can a warforged character embed an armor that he is not proficient with?

I believe you mean "Attach", not "Embed", but it's not a huge difference in practice.

Dragon 364 says nothing specific about it. There's nothing saying he CAN'T do it, or that there is any particular requirement on attaching an item beyond it needing to be configured specifically for attachment.

The most applicable sentence is probably "Within the parameters discussed here, what you can and can’t attach or embed is ultimately for your DM to decide."