The play is the sting...

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to make stats for 4e giant bees.

Help?
I'd start with the stirge (Monster Manual, pg. 248), and re-fluff its powers to get away from the "blood-sucking" bit, and change it to "poison".
Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders. Das Fliegende Spaghettimonster helfe mir. RAmen.
Why just bees? Why not MONKEY BEES!
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/Nived/DnD/ddbeastsmonkeybees.jpg)
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Nice Monkey Bees, now what level are we talking about here? What role of monster is this going to be? Or are we putting together a whole hive...
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I was thinking of doing the whole hive starting with the worker (a minion), then the stinger-less drone (not sure what role), and then the all-mighty queen (size huge and maybe an elite brute). I know a lot about bees, but not an awful lot about making 4e monsters. I was thinking of comparing them to the ants in the MM2 as far as roles and abilities are concerned but sadly I do not own the book and will only be able to take glimpses at it when I go to local bookstore (alas, I am poor).
OK, well the basic rundown on the giant ants is that they have a worker (level 1 minion skirmisher), a warrior (level 2 skirmisher), a soldier (level 3 soldier), a drone (level 4 skirmisher with flying), and the queen (level 5 elite controller).

Since bees don't tend to have soldier castes you have less options to work with, but you could have a level 1 skirmisher worker, a drone could be anything, and then the queen makes sense as a controller.

Your workers all have a sting and can fly. They might get some other sort of "racial" flavor power like some kind of "shift 1 square when the enemy misses" or a bonus to hit or damage when there are more than one attacking, something like that.

I'm really not sure what drones would get. Realistically they're pretty much useless, but they could have a bite attack with a flyby attack power perhaps. Maybe they could get some kind of encounter power too like say "droning buzz" that is an area attack which say gives the enemy -2 to hit for one round vs Will or something like that.

As for the queen, it could have an aura that enhances the other bees attacks, a bite, some kind of minor attack or reaction (the ant queen gets a kick for 3 damage and push 3 squares as a minor action). Then I would give it say maybe a power to shift some of the workers as say a free action when a worker dies it can make another worker shift 2 squares. Then it should also have an area attack and maybe a power to create some kind of zone. That would make it pretty much similar to the ant queen.

Overall since bees have flying it would probably be good if they were overall a bit weaker than the ants since flight at low levels can be pretty hard for a party to deal with.
OK, well the basic rundown on the giant ants is that they have a worker (level 1 minion skirmisher), a warrior (level 2 skirmisher), a soldier (level 3 soldier), a drone (level 4 skirmisher with flying), and the queen (level 5 elite controller).

Since bees don't tend to have soldier castes you have less options to work with, but you could have a level 1 skirmisher worker, a drone could be anything, and then the queen makes sense as a controller.

Your workers all have a sting and can fly. They might get some other sort of "racial" flavor power like some kind of "shift 1 square when the enemy misses" or a bonus to hit or damage when there are more than one attacking, something like that.

I'm really not sure what drones would get. Realistically they're pretty much useless, but they could have a bite attack with a flyby attack power perhaps. Maybe they could get some kind of encounter power too like say "droning buzz" that is an area attack which say gives the enemy -2 to hit for one round vs Will or something like that.

As for the queen, it could have an aura that enhances the other bees attacks, a bite, some kind of minor attack or reaction (the ant queen gets a kick for 3 damage and push 3 squares as a minor action). Then I would give it say maybe a power to shift some of the workers as say a free action when a worker dies it can make another worker shift 2 squares. Then it should also have an area attack and maybe a power to create some kind of zone. That would make it pretty much similar to the ant queen.

Overall since bees have flying it would probably be good if they were overall a bit weaker than the ants since flight at low levels can be pretty hard for a party to deal with.

I was thiking the same thing about the drones with the bite and the droning buzz ability. I think the queen should have a bite AND a sting, as queen bees don't die after stinging. I don't think she should have a kick attack, but maybe a ram attack or maybe even some sort of gusting ability to knock enemies back. Also, maybe she can get a bonus to Defenses when adjacent to workers ad drones or something like that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvHVIMAEks&feature=related

Sorry just had to.

Anyways, here are some of my thoughts on making bees:

1 Minion Type: Flight and an encounter power that does 4 Damage, 4 Ongoing Poison, but kills the minion.

1 Swarm Type: This is what really makes the bees dangerous. Huge sized, Flying, Brute. Aura: Basic attack vs. anyone starting adjacent to the swarm. Perhaps a minor ability that spawns 4 Minions adjacent to the swarm at the cost of 4 health. Basic attack causes Dazed and Ongoing Poison.

1 Queen Type: Nastier Sting, perhaps a Distress pheromone: When the queen is damaged, she "curses" the attacker giving other bees a bonus to hit and damage.
HAHAHA!!!

Oh my God...that movie is terrible.

But it's hilarious.

He beats up a lot of women in that movie.
I was thiking the same thing about the drones with the bite and the droning buzz ability. I think the queen should have a bite AND a sting, as queen bees don't die after stinging. I don't think she should have a kick attack, but maybe a ram attack or maybe even some sort of gusting ability to knock enemies back. Also, maybe she can get a bonus to Defenses when adjacent to workers ad drones or something like that?

Those all sound like good ideas to me. I think the idea of the queen being able to make a close burst that gives all her allies within say 5 squares a +2 to hit for several rounds would be good too. It could activate when she is bloodied maybe.

The only reason I wouldn't want to treat the worker bees as minions is just that they're likely to be encountered outside the hive and then you don't have a non-minion available to back them up.
I see what you mean, but if you encountered several of them at once, maybe they could even have some sort of special ability that grants them bonuses for attacking as a group. I think that would help them to be more potent, even if they were only 1st level minions.

On topic, I was stung on the foot by a honey bee today while I cleaned my rabbit's cage.
The queen, should have a recharge ability that spawns minions.

Queen Bee lvl 5 elite brute<br /> 112 HP, AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 20, Will 16<br /> Fly (hover) 5<br /> <br /> Swarm Defense<br /> The queen gains +1 to all defenses for each ally it's adjacent to it.<br /> <br /> Sting: Standard at-will<br /> +11 vs Ref<br /> 5 damage and 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends)<br /> <br /> Swish: Immediate Interrupt<br /> Trigger: an enemy makes a melee attack<br /> Effect: Shift 1 square<br /> <br /> Spawn Defender: Minor, recharge 5-6, Conjuration<br /> The queen spawns a hive defender in an unoccupied square adjacent to her.<br /> A hive defender can be attacked, any damage will destroy it.<br /> It can fly (hover) 6 squares or attack (see below) as a free once per turn.<br /> The queen starts with 5 hive defenders.<br /> <br /> Hive Defender attack<br /> +10 vs Fort<br /> Hit :5 poison damage and gives a -1 to hit penalty until the end of the encounter.<br /> The penalty from hive defenders can't exceed -5.<br /> Effect: the hive defender dies.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Why just bees? Why not MONKEY BEES!
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/Nived/DnD/ddbeastsmonkeybees.jpg)

ha! You got MONKEY FACE
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
The queen, should have a recharge ability that spawns minions.

Queen Bee lvl 5 elite brute<br /> 112 HP, AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 20, Will 16<br /> Fly (hover) 5<br /> <br /> Swarm Defense<br /> The queen gains +1 to all defenses for each ally it's adjacent to it.<br /> <br /> Sting: Standard at-will<br /> +11 vs Ref<br /> 5 damage and 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends)<br /> <br /> Swish: Immediate Interrupt<br /> Trigger: an enemy makes a melee attack<br /> Effect: Shift 1 square<br /> <br /> Spawn Defender: Minor, recharge 5-6, Conjuration<br /> The queen spawns a hive defender in an unoccupied square adjacent to her.<br /> A hive defender can be attacked, any damage will destroy it.<br /> It can fly (hover) 6 squares or attack (see below) as a free once per turn.<br /> The queen starts with 5 hive defenders.<br /> <br /> Hive Defender attack<br /> +10 vs Fort<br /> Hit :5 poison damage and gives a -1 to hit penalty until the end of the encounter.<br /> The penalty from hive defenders can't exceed -5.<br /> Effect: the hive defender dies.

I like it, but it needs some other stuffs.

She still needs a bite attack as well and maybe that gusting ability.
I like it, but it needs some other stuffs.

She still needs a bite attack as well and maybe that gusting ability.

Queen Bee Level 5 Elite Controller (Leader)
Large natural beast (insect) XP 400
106 HP; Bloodied 53
AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 20, Will 16
Fly (hover) 5
Action Points 1
Saving Throws +2

Sting: Standard at-will
+11 vs Ref
1d6+4 damage and 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends)

Flying Dodge: (Immediate Interrupt; at-will)
Trigger: an enemy makes a melee attack
Effect: Shift 1 square

Swarm Defense
The queen gains +1 to all defenses for each ally it's adjacent to it, up to +3.

Spawn Defender: Minor, recharge 5-6
The queen spawns a hive defender in an unoccupied square adjacent to her.

Call to Arms: (minor; encounter, recharge when bloodied)
Range 5 Area Burst 2; All bees within the area of effect become enraged and attack with +2 to-hit.
This bonus lasts until the end of the queen bee's next turn.

Hive Defender Level 1 Minion (soldier)
Small natural beast (insect) XP 25
1 HP; not damaged on a miss
AC 18; Fort 18; Ref 18; Will 16
Fly (hover) 5

Sting: Standard; at-will
+4 vs AC; 5 damage; Hit the Hive Defender takes one point of damage

Note: I did a few cleanups on the queen bee and made the Hive Defender a standard minion. The XP total for the queen bee also includes XP for any Hive Defenders she may summon, within reason.
I like.

But what are their ability scores?

Also, she needs the bite and we need the drone.

I will adjust accordingly...
lol, yeah, I forgot ability scores. Hey, us old 1e DMs don't need no ability scores for monsters! ;)