Monk - Full Discipline Actions

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys. While some people have figured it out, there is definitely some confusion out there on how the encouter-based full discipline poewrs work. Stephen Schubert, Lead Developer for D&D wanted to shed some light on the subject:

A similar query about the use of full discipline actions came up in our internal playtests, and this is my response (and we’ll work on clarifying the language to avoid confusion in the future):

In a normal round, you can use standard action and a move action, or you could trade your standard for a move and take 2 move actions.

If you use an at-will full discipline, you could execute the attack technique and the move technique each once, or you could use the move technique twice (with no attack).

If you use an action point in that round, you could use that extra action for either the move technique or the attack technique of that discipline, or you can enter another discipline, and use that extra action for one of the techniques of that discipline.

In a normal round, if you've use an encounter full discipline power, you can use the attack action once and the move action once. If you want to take two move actions that turn, you'd only be able to use the move technique of the encounter full discipline a single time. Your other move action would have to be a regular, non-technique move action (not even an at-will technique, since you've already used a full discipline this round).

In this case, using an action point gives an action - but if you've already used both techniques from your encounter full discipline, you can't use the extra action for either technique from that full discipline. You'd have to enter another discipline or use another power or a basic attack or move or something.

Entering a discipline gives you options for your actions, but doesn't give more actions than you already have.

Hopefully that clears up some confusion, and thanks to Stephen for the info!

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Makes perfect sense, very interesting system, I love it!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. *lightbulb*

Thanks for this post!
Ok so question if I activate an encounter full discipline and take the attack action one round, can I use the move action the next round?

If the answer to the above question is yes, lets say I use the encounter attack option one round one, the move action on the round two can I then enter another discipline that round without taking an action point (because the full discipline for the encounter power is done)?

I hope that made sense, I am at work so can't really proof read. Hope to hear back soon.
Ok so question if I activate an encounter full discipline and take the attack action one round, can I use the move action the next round?

If the answer to the above question is yes, lets say I use the encounter attack option one round one, the move action on the round two can I then enter another discipline that round without taking an action point (because the full discipline for the encounter power is done)?

I hope that made sense, I am at work so can't really proof read. Hope to hear back soon.

No unless you use both the standard attack and the move action on the same round you have expended the power even if you didn't use one of the options. You cannot switch between Full disciplines in the same round since you are limited to the use of one Full discipline/round unless you use an action point. You ca never combine the move/attack effects of a two Full discipline powers.

That's how I see it anyways.

Julia has it right. When you activate the power, you're activating for that round. You get to use the move actoin and/or the attack action that round. You don't get the ability to use them in subsequent rounds, even if you fail to use one or the other.

What Trevor said. We'll clarify in the text that when you use a full discipline, it applies to actions that you take during that current turn. (or possibly until the start of your next turn, which would provide certain synergy with other classes that grant actions outside of your turn)
Stephen Schubert Lead Developer, WotC RPG R&D
Shoe, will you post updates in the DnDinsider forum? In the Playtest thread?
What about gaining actions from other powers? Would that work like an action point, allowing you to switch Full Disciplines, give you another use of your current discipline or what?
Julia has it right. When you activate the power, you're activating for that round. You get to use the move actoin and/or the attack action that round. You don't get the ability to use them in subsequent rounds, even if you fail to use one or the other.

Thankyou so very much.

That's the interpretation I was using. But its nice to see it confirmed as the correct one.

What about gaining actions from other powers? Would that work like an action point, allowing you to switch Full Disciplines, give you another use of your current discipline or what?

An example of such a power is the party's Warlord using Guileful Switch with the monk.
If people have follow-up questions or other questions, I suggest you head over to this threadand put up your queries there, if you haven't already.