AP - New Wizard At-Wills

213 posts / 0 new
Last post
jimthegray;18293885 wrote:
rpgnow listed at wills as
New At-Wills...

Illusory Ambush (Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)

Phantom Bolt (Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Hit: 1d8 + INT mod psychic damage and you slide the target one square.

storm piller
A crackling column of lightning appears amid your enemies lashing out at any who move near it.
Standard Action Ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a pillar of crackling energy in an unoccupied square within range. The pillar occupies one square and lasts until the end of your next turn. Each enemy that move into a square adjacent takes 1d6 + INT mod lightning damage.

Alright, pulled this from a discussion on the general forum, and I have to admit I like what I see. Phantom Bolt is a nice alternative to Magic-Missile or similar spells. Being able to ranged slide a target is nice (As opposed to just push).

Storm Pillar definitely pushes us more towards the controller role, an at will zone? Yes please! Storm Pillar + Thunderwave seems made for each other.

Nice to see it in a real book.

Hmm, interesting. Can we assume it attacks Will?

Slide 1 is on the low side, though. What are the ways to increase Slide distances? Preferably without having to use a weapon as implement.

storm piller
A crackling column of lightning appears amid your enemies lashing out at any who move near it.
Effect: You conjure a pillar of crackling energy in an unoccupied square within range. The pillar occupies one square and lasts until the end of your next turn. Each enemy that move into a square adjacent takes 1d6 + INT mod lightning damage.

It sure is controllerish, but it also seems really situational. I guess that if your party has better range attacks than the opponents, you might drop a Storm Pillar in their path (cutting off a corridor or a small room, for instance). You can also "lock" an opponent up against a wall. Corridors one-square wide can be cut off completely by a single use of the power.

Forced Movement seem like the way to really add to the damage. Would you deal damage for each square adjacent to the conjuration that's entered? That could rack up quite nicely (especially with a Genasi's Promise of Storm :P ). Really, this is probably the big question on the power - if it's each square, it does look highly useful. If your entire party likes pushing, this will be just lovely.

The Keywords don't seem to be in on the power - surely it's Arcane, Conjuration, and Lightning, at the very least? How much damage you can do with it will depend on whether it has the Implement keyword.

It will be tough for anyone but a human to forego an At Will for this power, and if you do, you have committed hard to making it work. On the other hand, it is tasty for a Stormsoul Genasi to take Thunderwave + Storm Pillar (Thunder and Lightning, yum!).

I kinda like it - it seems like a pretty cerebral power, and your controller features are really weak at low levels. The damage will probably le less and less of a factor at higher levels, unless you base it off of nasty forced movement.
My guess would be that Phantom Bolt attaks Fort, I highly doubt it hits Will.

Similar powers: Invoker's Sun Strike: Range 10, vs Reflex, 1d8, slide 1
Druid's Chill Wind: Range 10, vs Fort, 1d6, slide 1
Druid's Savage Rend: Beast Form, vs Reflex, 1d8, slide 1
Druid's Thorn Whip: Range 10, vs Fort, 1d8, pull 2
But those 4 powers you listed are physical. Phantom Bolt is illusion and psychic, so it would make sense to attack Will.

What if they're already in a square adjacent and don't move? As written, they take no damage. Is that RAI as well? I have no idea. They should have cleared up the language.

And I can already see that we're going to have "Blood Pulse"-style debates as to whether the damage is for it is each square, or whether the damage is just once.

It seems like it's either sloppy editing or the person on RPGNow is paraphrasing (let's hope!).
Illusionary Ambush is welcome.

Phantom Bolt is ok. Considering that you can get Magic Missile, hold an offhand wand of magic missiles and give it a push 1, that can be easily pumped via Gauntlets/Rings of the ram later on.
MM also is a Ranged Basic Attack, and range of 20, and affected by true strike bracers, and Eagle Eye hat.

Hence, I'd seriously doubt the Bolt would see much action.

Storm Pillar sucks! It is VERY situational. If you win initiative, you will use a big Burst instead anyways. With diagonal movement possible, it hardly slows down a foe much even with good placement.

Besides, by round 2, most foes are already where they want to be anyways. So I don't see this being used much. It is interesting, BUT... you need your at-wills to be VERSATILE. You cannot afford a slot for this thing.
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
I love Storm Pillar, especially in combination with another character that can pull, push or slide. I love it!
Storm Piller might be the best controller at will now because it doesn't have to hit.
I'm disappointed that none of these abilities tie off of a secondary stat or other class feature.
Storm Piller might be the best controller at will now because it doesn't have to hit.

And if the enemy doesn't move, they don't take damage either...
I think you guys are missing out on the best part of Storm Pillar. "Enemies" who enter take damage. This is an at-will zone, doesn't require a to-hit, and it targets enemies only. It is the best at-will in the game.

The only downfall is a recent CS answer about "damage rolls" means SP won't add feat/enhancement/etc bonuses to the attack. So as time goes on it will seriously lag behind in damage (if you play with CSs ruling... I don't).

Isn't that the point of controlling?

Who cares about the damage. You are either keeping a guy where they are, or you making a area where you don't want monsters to go without taking damage. Both are amazing.

Play a sorcerer if you want damage imo.
Illusionary Ambush is welcome.

Phantom Bolt is ok. Considering that you can get Magic Missile, hold an offhand wand of magic missiles and give it a push 1, that can be easily pumped via Gauntlets/Rings of the ram later on.
MM also is a Ranged Basic Attack, and range of 20, and affected by true strike bracers, and Eagle Eye hat.

Hence, I'd seriously doubt the Bolt would see much action.

Storm Pillar sucks! It is VERY situational. If you win initiative, you will use a big Burst instead anyways. With diagonal movement possible, it hardly slows down a foe much even with good placement.

Besides, by round 2, most foes are already where they want to be anyways. So I don't see this being used much. It is interesting, BUT... you need your at-wills to be VERSATILE. You cannot afford a slot for this thing.

I'd say your wrong.
Phantom Bolt is great for Orbizard control wizards, and as written storm piller is the bestist spell everist....Why? It only effects enemies. Drop in with your group and punish anyone who tries to out manuver the defender or get to close to squishes....
Isn't that the point of controlling?

Who cares about the damage. You are either keeping a guy where they are, or you making a area where you don't want monsters to go without taking damage. Both are amazing.

I've apparently misunderstood your intent. You earlier raved about it because it doesn't require you to hit. All it does is damage.

Sure, it's "soft control" (so is AoE). Neither one is very exciting to me.

And this power in particular is odd. It encourages enemies to stay where they are -or- to move. That still gives them a lot of options. Do they want to stay put and bash on the controller? Not a problem! Did the controller just shift back (so as to be out of reach to not provoke)? The enemy can just advance and continue to bash on the squishy.

Look at Druid powers if you like this form of soft control. Flame Seed (druid at-will) comes to mind -- only need to hit once, creates a zone, only affects enemies, and any enemy that enters or starts in the zone takes damage. There are pros and cons to Flame Seed versus the Storm Pillar, so I personally would put them about even. The thing is, no one raves about Flame Seed...
Until we see the exact text of the pillar it's going to be very hard to compare it to other at-wills. The specific wording is very important and we're looking at someone's kind-but-quick-and-inexact transcription of the power at the bottom of a list.
Until we see the exact text of the pillar it's going to be very hard to compare it to other at-wills. The specific wording is very important and we're looking at someone's kind-but-quick-and-inexact transcription of the power at the bottom of a list.

Agreed. The whole "lashing out at any who move near it" part of the fluff makes me think that the target should read "creature." If not though, it is certainly amazing.

Cast it behind an artillery and laugh when they want to shift away. Cast it in a hallway and watch how it is completely denied to minions. Have a companion walk in the center and auto-hit any enemy who wants to melee. Cast it and push/pull an enemy into the center and revel as they take damage going in and then again if they want to walk out.

This spell is amazing.
Awesomeness.

I will be taking phantom bolt and storm pillar.

I've been wanting a slide 1 for ages so phantom bolt is a no brainer. Storm pillar is a good corridor blocking power. It completely cuts off passages that are 1 space wide. For passages up to 3 spaces wide it makes it so enemies take damage while allies don't. Further, the pillar itself creates a choke point.

This is exactly the type of at-will control that has been missing from the wizard for so long. Thank you WotC!
Seems the fighter with "come and get me" wil love you if you cast storm pillar on him. Seems I will retrain a power soon:D .

Agreed.

If it actually is as written, then sliding, pushing, or pulling an opponent won't work, because it says, "They move".

Also, staying there won't trigger it.

Now, if it says, "Enters, or starts their turn", then that is much different.

GH
Seems the fighter with "come and get it" will love you if you cast storm pillar on him. Seems I will retrain a power soon :D

Forced movement does not trigger move effects. It's literally "not a move" -- see PHB pg 285.

Of course the enemies will still be next to the fighter, but having the Storm Pillar there doesn't offer any additional benefits to the fighter.

If they move away, the enemies take no additional damage due to Storm Pillar.
If they don't move, the enemies take no additional damage due to Storm Pillar.
Wait, wait wait. If you move an enemy though a zone they are hit. If you push an enemy though CoD then they are hit with daggers, just like if you push an enemy though Stinking Cloud they are assaulted by poison.

Even if the power itself doesn't say "any enemy that enters an adjacent square" it should still hit because the lightning isn't taking an Opportunity Action and therefore the movement type shouldn't matter (unless the power specifically says the enemy takes the attack only if it chooses to move like the Avenger's Censure of Pursuit).
Wait, wait wait. If you move an enemy though a zone they are hit. If you push an enemy though CoD then they are hit with daggers, just like if you push an enemy though Stinking Cloud they are assaulted by poison.

Even if the power itself doesn't say "any enemy that enters an adjacent square" it should still hit because the lightning isn't taking an Opportunity Action and therefore the movement type shouldn't matter (unless the power specifically says the enemy takes the attack only if it chooses to move like the Avenger's Censure of Pursuit).

It depends upon the wording of the power. As shown, it will only work when the enemy actually moves themself into the area.

But that probably isn't how the power is actually worded.

GH
Agreed.

If it actually is as written, then sliding, pushing, or pulling an opponent won't work, because it says, "They move".

Also, staying there won't trigger it.

Now, if it says, "Enters, or starts their turn", then that is much different.

GH

If it said "or starts their turn" in the power description, that puts it on the level of a daily power, I highly doubt it will do that
The storm pillar needs to be cast on an empty square.

It is awesome though. As is the atwill that moves the enemy.
Forced movement does not trigger move effects. It's literally "not a move" -- see PHB pg 285.

That's exactly not what PHB 285 says. The "not a move" paragraph specifies that forced movement doesn't reduce the creature's own movement during its own turn.

Obviously, forced movement is still movement. Forced movement into a zone hurts, and as written, forced movement will also trigger storm pillar. FWIW, the exact wording is here.
That's exactly not what PHB 285 says. The "not a move" paragraph specifies that forced movement doesn't reduce the creature's own movement during its own turn.

Obviously, forced movement is still movement. Forced movement into a zone hurts, and as written, forced movement will also trigger storm pillar. FWIW, the exact wording is here.

Thank you for the link, and that is how I think it should be ruled as well.

I am really looking forward to all the new Illusionist powers.
If they move away, the enemies take no additional damage due to Storm Pillar.
If they don't move, the enemies take no additional damage due to Storm Pillar.

You have to actually place it strategically, making the squares your enemies wish to occupy cost them hitpoints to enter, rather than simply placing it wherever the zone will initially encompass the most people. It takes a little more thinking than most Wizard powers, so one might wish to avoid the power if strategic thought isn't counted among one's skills.

I will be making great use of it as I am in a melee-heavy party that often bogs down in constant shifting to gain combat advantage and access to more desirable targets. If you want combat advantage or to attack anyone but the defender and I'm not using an encounter/daily power, you'll be taking damage.
not to mention it occupies a square, and till end of next turn? so potentially two?
So, let's see...

Already out, but obviously good.

Probably a basic ranged attack? And possibly ranged 20.

Without knowledge of which stat it attacks (will?) difficult to gauge, but if it attacks will, you're always taking Illusory Ambush over this. If it attacks reflex, then its a decent third at-will power if you have someone who gives out ranged basic attacks in the party.

storm piller

Its biggest strength is its selectivity, but its greatest weakness is its uselessness - if they're in melee, oftentimes they won't want to/need to move. Its not bad, its just situational, so while a decent third power, I see no reason why you wouldn't still take Illusory Assault + Thunderwave as your default power set.

I'm not sure if you can stick it in the air either.

And are thus controlled
Its biggest strength is its selectivity, but its greatest weakness is its uselessness - if they're in melee, oftentimes they won't want to/need to move. Its not bad, its just situational, so while a decent third power, I see no reason why you wouldn't still take Illusory Assault + Thunderwave as your default power set.

My Human LFR Wizard has no interest in that at-will, and doesn't bother with Illusory Ambush. With the advent of the White Lotus Academyand Wizard's Fury, he will use Magic Missile substantially more often than before, to rather great effect. Of course, having 3 at-wills offers him excellent flexibility in the at-will department

He's kind of sad that Enlarge Spell burns off damage from each damage die, but might pick that up anyway. Arcane Admixture is really tempting, though. From the classic Wizard class "what can I spend my feats on?" to "ouch! I don't have enough feats now!" certainly has changed things!
I'd just like to point out that as far as I can see, there is no limit to the number of times Storm Pillar can activate in a turn. I think it is an excellent power.
My Human LFR Wizard has no interest in that at-will, and doesn't bother with Illusory Ambush. With the advent of the White Lotus Academyand Wizard's Fury, he will use Magic Missile substantially more often than before, to rather great effect. Of course, having 3 at-wills offers him excellent flexibility in the at-will department

He's kind of sad that Enlarge Spell burns off damage from each damage die, but might pick that up anyway. Arcane Admixture is really tempting, though. From the classic Wizard class "what can I spend my feats on?" to "ouch! I don't have enough feats now!" certainly has changed things!

Until white lotus article i would never touch Magic Missle ..now its much more tempting
Uh, where did you get those informations?
Uh, where did you get those informations?

New Dragon article has the white lotus magic school
good article
at the end some new feats and spells for all of the arcane classes including artificer

No. As written, it does not trigger.

Here's the text, from your link:
[INDENT]Each enemy that move into a square adjacent takes 1d6 + INT mod lightning damage. (lvl 21: 2d6+)[/INDENT]

And I'm not sure how you're interpreting "not a move" in any other way as, well... "not a move".

Note that the text is different for powers like Stinking Cloud... and it's on purpose. Those powers state "when the creature enters". Notice the difference? They would have said "Each enemy that enters into a square adjacent..." for Storm Pillar if they had meant to do what you want it to.

So basically: If you do a pull/push/slide on an enemy into a Stinking Cloud then they do take damage. But for Storm Pillar? Sorry.
And I'm not sure how you're interpreting "not a move" in any other way as, well... "not a move".

"Move" is a rather ambiguous term in the rules. In the PHB on page 285, based on the text right after "not a move," it seems that the phrase "not a move" specifically means "not a move action" within that context, and not necessarily "doesn't count as moving towards/away from/into something."

Mind you, I'm not entirely sure what the intent here is. I think that a very quick FAQ entry would be quite helpful here.
Generally, there are some powers that specify move, and in these cases, I believe it means use a move action, or move as part of a power (for instance shifting/moving before/after an attack, not push/pul/slide). Other times, powers say when the creature Enters/Leaves a square/area, for which forced movement and willing movement both apply. You leave/enter whether or not it was willing. You only move if it is by your own actions/choice as far as I know
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
The other thing to think of before we get really excited about this spell is that maybe the only enemies bit is wrong. I guess it is any creature, but we will see.
Wow, I just noticed that Storm Pillar occupies a space.

That means you can't put someone in the center of it, but it also adds quite a bit to the controller aspect of it. This spell is not only an auto-hit zone, it is also an extremely effective mini-wall!!!

Couple it with Flaming Sphere for all kinds of fun ("Oh? You want to run away from the huge molten ball of fire? By all means. Take lightning damage and prepare to get hit by the exact same thing next round :D .")

Place one of these bad boys behind an enemy with a defender in front of it and there will be nowhere to go. They won't be able to safely shift away to use a ranged attack, and if they want to run best option is probably going to be to walk forward and take an OA (At least that attack isn't a sure thing).

That is freaking awesome. THAT is control.

*edit* It also lasts until the end of your turn so you can go ahead and push (or slide with the new power) enemies into it without using an AP. Just wow.
As one of two powers, Storm Pillar is indeed pretty niche. Unless you're a human, it can't replace your single-target power (MM, Cloud of Daggers, Illusory Ambush, Ray of Frost) or your AoE (Thunderwave, Scorching Burst). But if you are human, or perhaps half-elf, it has awesome utility! It's an indestructible obstacle, that can be used to pin opponents down in a flanked, harmful, or otherwise undesirable position--works great with fighters, rogues, and warlords. It requires no attack roll (unlike Flame Seed), so under many conditions, you can use it to force an opponent to remain stationary (great for melee types) or take auto-damage. If you're really creative, there are other applications--combine it with a readied action to really screw up enemy movement (especially charges), or delay until after an ally shifts away from an opponent to hinder pursuit.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

Sign In to post comments