Just got Arcane Power

334 posts / 0 new
Last post
Having just flipped through the book for the first time, I thought I'd share a few tidbits for those of you interested in knowing more about it.

Bard--the new virtue (Prescience) allows the bard as an immediate interrupt to grant one ally struck by a foe a bonus to the relevant Defense once/encounter. There are many new ranged powers, but no new powers keyed to the other two Virtues. New Paragon Paths are Cunning Prevaricator, Euphonic Bow, Grave Caller, Half-Elf Emissary, Karmic Shaper and Life Singer.

Sorcerer--two new class features for Storm and Cosmic Magic. There are new powers for all four class features including a fair number of close and ranged bursts. New Paragon Paths include Blizzard Mage, Celestial Scholar, Dragon Guardian, Essence Mage, Lightning Fury and Primordial Channeler.

Swordmage--the new Aegis (Ensnarement) allows you to teleport marked targets adjacent to you under certain circumstances. There are new powers keyed to all three Aegis class features, and the Ensnarement powers often serve to hinder, slow and/or immobilize foes and include a number of ranged powers. New Paragon Paths include Arcane Hunter, Ghost Blade, Sage of Fate's Bonds, Sigil Carver, Sword of Assault and Ward Guardian.

Warlock--the new Pact (Vestige) grants the character one of two boons to start, and additional pact boons can be unlocked through the use of daily powers as the character rises in level (though they only last until the end of the encounter or until you switch them out). There are new powers for all pacts, including Dark, and many Vestige Pact powers are keyed to Constitution or Intelligence. Some powers grant differing additional bonuses for two different Pacts. (For example, the spell Life Siphon grants a power bonus to attack rolls, with Dark Pact Warlocks also receiving a self-healing effect while Infernal Pact Warlocks get temporary hit points.) New Paragon Paths include Dark Reckoner (for Dark Pact Warlocks), Entrancing Mystic, God Fragment (Vestige Pact), Hellbringer (Infernal Pact), Hexer, Master of the Starry Night (Star Pact), Sea Tyrant Oracle (Vestige Pact) and Storm Scourge (Fey Pact).

Wizard--there are new Arcane Implement features for orbs (Orb of Deception, which boosts Illusion powers) and two for the new Tome option. There are new powers for all Arcane Implements, and obviously many new Illusion and Summoning powers. There are also some potent new defensive spells (such as Globe of Invulnerability and Prismatic Wall) and summoning spells that conjure abyssal hordes and living mountains that occupy a 3 x 3 square. New Paragon Paths include Arcane Wayfarer, Bonded Summoner, Hermetic Saboteur, Rimetongue Caller, Unseen Mage and Weaver of Chance.

Additional Content--unsurprisingly, this involves feats, familiars, magic Tomes and Rituals, as well as some new Arcane Backgrounds. Some of the new multi-class feats require paragon multi-classing (as we saw in Martial Power) which grant potent abilities--the Sorcerer Paragon M/C feat grants your Str or Dex modifier as a damage bonus to all arcane powers (I guess many Wand Wizards with good Dex scores and Swordmages with good Str scores might take advantage of this). New Epic Destinies include Arcane Sword (for Swordmages), Archlich, Archspell, Feyliege, Immanence, Lord of Fate, Magister, Parable (for Wizards) and Sage of Ages.
Any improved Wizard at wills? I mean more controllery? (Standby for a barrage of questions)
Any improved Wizard at wills? I mean more controllery? (Standby for a barrage of questions)

There's a reprint of Illusory Ambush and two new ones, but they don't strike me as anything to write home about.
Bugga, my biggest gripe about any class is the dullness of Wiz at wills. I gave my player a masters wand so his MM does something more than just a decent range!
Anything neat for bards in the way of new feats and spells?

I have yet to actually play one ... I'm just building one as a backup in case my barbarian bites it but I'm keen to know if it looks like there might be any "must-have" stuff for a Cunning Bard. I'm planning on having a good mix between weapon and implement powers.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.
any feats that act like the 3.x sorc, allowing wizzies to spon cast any spell in spellbook?

New SMage at wills, and new powers for lvling those up? (i.e. the ranger and fighter and Wlord all got new stuffs...) The new aegis sounds really neat, TPing enemies is much better IMO than you TPing to them....

new illusion and summon powers... yum yum

I can't believe you already have it... You make me jealous.
Familiars please. How many are we talking about in the book?
OK, questions:

1) Do the new bard powers that use a bow still use Cha for attack/damage rolls, or do they use Dex? Do any of the new bard powers use any abilities other than Cha/Int/Con?

2) Is Life Singer a PP for bards multiclassed into a primal class? Do any of the other bard PPs have multiclassing as prerequisites?

3) Does the sorcerer's Storm Magic use Dex as the secondary attribute, like we already know Cosmic Magic uses Str? Does any of the new sorcerer stuff use any ability other than Cha/Str/Dex?

4) Is there anything like the old 3rd edition 'hideous blow' for warlocks? Or like 4th edition sorcerers' 'arcane blade channeling'? Anything at all that makes warlocks a viable melee class?

5) Why does Japan keep getting D&D books weeks before the rest of the world? (I'm not really expecting you to answer this one. :P )

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

What secondary ability do Aegis of Ensnarement swordmages use? Thanks in advance!

Btw Japan gets book earlier because local laws allow amazon.ja to realise the books earlier.
Anything neat for bards in the way of new feats and spells?

There's a number of feats tailored for bards of a particular race, similar to what you saw in Martial Power. There's also an epic tier feat that grants the bard two multi-class feats and a bardic multi-class feat that grants the Bardic Training class feature, which seems more useful than Ritual Caster for those who don't get it from their class.
any feats that act like the 3.x sorc, allowing wizzies to spon cast any spell in spellbook?

New SMage at wills, and new powers for lvling those up? (i.e. the ranger and fighter and Wlord all got new stuffs...) The new aegis sounds really neat, TPing enemies is much better IMO than you TPing to them....

new illusion and summon powers... yum yum

I can't believe you already have it... You make me jealous.

You can do a few new things with spellbooks, but not to the extent that you mentioned. There's one new Swordmage at-will intended for the Ensnarement Aegis (or so I think--there's a typo in the book here which suggests "Stalker's Strike" for this build, but the only new at-will is "Luring Strike.")
Thanks!
There's a number of feats tailored for bards of a particular race, similar to what you saw in Martial Power.

Is there one for eladrin? If so, what's the gist of it?

There's also an epic tier feat that grants the bard two multi-class feats

So you spend one feat slot and get two feats?

and a bardic multi-class feat that grants the Bardic Training class feature, which seems more useful than Ritual Caster for those who don't get it from their class.

Now that's pretty nice. Is it a limited version of it or a paragon multiclassing feat or is it just a regular multiclassing feat that gives you the full class feature?

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Familiars please. How many are we talking about in the book?

Twelve, including the standard cats/bats/rats and a few more exotic ones like Imps and Dragonlings.
OK, questions:

1) Do the new bard powers that use a bow still use Cha for attack/damage rolls, or do they use Dex? Do any of the new bard powers use any abilities other than Cha/Int/Con?

2) Is Life Singer a PP for bards multiclassed into a primal class? Do any of the other bard PPs have multiclassing as prerequisites?

3) Does the sorcerer's Storm Magic use Dex as the secondary attribute, like we already know Cosmic Magic uses Str? Does any of the new sorcerer stuff use any ability other than Cha/Str/Dex?

4) Is there anything like the old 3rd edition 'hideous blow' for warlocks? Or like 4th edition sorcerers' 'arcane blade channeling'? Anything at all that makes warlocks a viable melee class?

5) Why does Japan keep getting D&D books weeks before the rest of the world? (I'm not really expecting you to answer this one. :P )

1) Cha. Many Prescience powers also rely upon Wis.

2) No to both.

3) Yes, it uses Dex. It's still those three stats.

4) No, not really.

5) Because the yakuza are hardcore D&D players, and WotC is afraid of them.
What secondary ability do Aegis of Ensnarement swordmages use? Thanks in advance!

Btw Japan gets book earlier because local laws allow amazon.ja to realise the books earlier.

Con.
Thanks!
Is there one for eladrin? If so, what's the gist of it?

So you spend one feat slot and get two feats?

Now that's pretty nice. Is it a limited version of it or a paragon multiclassing feat or is it just a regular multiclassing feat that gives you the full class feature?

There's one for Eladrin and gnomes that grants bonuses to charm powers and to the Bluff and Diplomacy skills.

Yes, basically two feats for the price of one.

It's not a paragon M/C feat--you can take it at 1st level if you want. The text says you gain the feature, so I assume it isn't limited.
There's one for Eladrin and gnomes that grants bonuses to charm powers and to the Bluff and Diplomacy skills.

Ooh that sounds nice. My backup bard is going to be an eladrin, so I might have to grab this feat. What's it called?

Yes, basically two feats for the price of one.

That's a pretty nice deal.

It's not a paragon M/C feat--you can take it at 1st level if you want. The text says you gain the feature, so I assume it isn't limited.

As is this.

~ David G. Allen

rpgnow listed at wills as
New At-Wills...

Illusory Ambush (Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)

Phantom Bolt (Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Hit: 1d8 + INT mod psychic damage and you slide the target one square.

storm piller
A crackling column of lightning appears amid your enemies lashing out at any who move near it.
Standard Action Ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a pillar of crackling energy in an unoccupied square within range. The pillar occupies one square and lasts until the end of your next turn. Each enemy that move into a square adjacent takes 1d6 + INT mod lightning damage.
Is the Bonded Summoner a paragon path that specialize into summoning ? Can you give us a hint of what it looks like ? (I'd need it for this weekend if it were available)
Some paragon/tier feats involving summoning ?
Thanks in advance if you can answer that.
Ooh that sounds nice. My backup bard is going to be an eladrin, so I might have to grab this feat. What's it called?

Feyborn Charm.
Is the Bonded Summoner a paragon path that specialize into summoning ? Can you give us a hint of what it looks like ? (I'd need it for this weekend if it were available)

Yes, that's what it is. It grants you bonuses when using summoning spells, including the ability to heal your summons and grant them regeneration.

WotC has already previewed some of the crunch involving summoning, such as the feat Careful Summoner.
What are the class features like for the Storm Sorcerer?

Are there any 'power up' feats for the familiars to make them more useful?

Any new impliment options beyond the new ones for the Wizard? Like new ways to use one? Way to replace one for another?

What do you feel is the best race/class bonus feat?
Twelve, including the standard cats/bats/rats and a few more exotic ones like Imps and Dragonlings.

Nerdgasm!
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Is there a way for multiclass warlocks to get access to the curse and pact boons?

Are there any new at-wills for the old pacts (specifically star pact)?
What are the new options for Assault swordmages like? Do they get any solid new defending options (movement/attack limitations)? What sort of feats do they get?

They already released that Feat. Reaper's Touch, in the Shadar-kai Article.

I, too, would love to know if there's any way to get different Warlock At-Wills.
Resident Logic Cannon

I, too, would love to know if there's any way to get different Warlock At-Wills.

I haven't *****ed about it much, but as a character gets deeper into Warlock multiclassing, the lack of at-will options and the curse does become a problem. I feel a little bad because I'm the DM, and I semi-forced the guy into multiclassing for story reasons (As a Cthulhu fan he was all for it, and mechanically it's paid off in a lot of ways, but I feel bad when this MC looks worse than the others).
Any interesting rituals?

peace
What does Archspell do? From the Archmage's 30th level ability Archspell (that makes one of your dailies into an encounter) I'd like to know what an epic destiny with the same name could do.

And what are all the new Arcane Implement Masteries?
Would you elaborate on how the Tome of Binding applies to conjurations? We've seen it mentioned, twice, that they interact with some conjurations, but that's a bit open-ended. An example would be great.
What are the class features like for the Storm Sorcerer?

Are there any 'power up' feats for the familiars to make them more useful?

Any new impliment options beyond the new ones for the Wizard? Like new ways to use one? Way to replace one for another?

What do you feel is the best race/class bonus feat?

1) Dex bonus to damage, resistance to thunder and lightning, the ability to mitigate such defenses possessed by targets and the ability to push targets and fly a short distance after rolling a natural 20 on an attack roll for an arcane power.

2) Yes, via feats.

3) There's a new option for Orb wizards, as I mentioned earlier, that suits Illusionists. There's a feat for Eladrins that allows them to use a longsword as an implement, another feat that allows you to use implements from another arcane class, and another that allows you to wield two implements at once. In addition, at the paragon tier there's a series of Improved implement feats, one for each type for wizards.

4) Hmm...possibly the Eladrin Swordmage Advance feat. I haven't had the book long enough to decide.
Is there a way for multiclass warlocks to get access to the curse and pact boons?

Are there any new at-wills for the old pacts (specifically star pact)?

You can get the curse once/encounter with one of the feats.

No, there's just two, one for each new pact.
You can get the curse once/encounter with one of the feats.

No, there's just two, one for each new pact.

Hmmm.... Once per encounter doesn't seem to make sense on the surface because all those rods and abilities that play off curses remain practically useless to you... can you tell me how that feat works?

And thanks.
What are the new options for Assault swordmages like? Do they get any solid new defending options (movement/attack limitations)? What sort of feats do they get?

The new Assault Swordmage powers aren't too different in flavor from the old ones...a lot of powers that involve short teleports, a couple that rely on Str., a few that can replace a melee basic attack while charging/teleporting with Aegis power, etc. They're all quite solid, though. The Paragon path for Assault Swordmages is quite nice, and can dish out some damage (5W + ongoing damage + status effect for the level 20 power). The feat choices are all very useful as well, and one paragon tier feat for Assault Swordmages allows you to gain temporary HP when you teleport.

There's only one new at-will power for Warlocks, and it's for the Vestige Pact.
Any interesting rituals?

peace

Several of them have already been previewed (Imprisonment, etc.) There's a couple of interesting ones, like the bardic Anthem of Unity that allows you to get a crowd to do your bidding (as long as it doesn't due them harm or ask them to commit violent acts, but hiding you from the city guard is fair game).
Just a heads up. The PHB2 thread like this was eventually moved to Future Releases so this one probably will be as well.
What does Archspell do? From the Archmage's 30th level ability Archspell (that makes one of your dailies into an encounter) I'd like to know what an epic destiny with the same name could do.

And what are all the new Arcane Implement Masteries?

You can turn one of your daily powers into a signature spell which grants you several benefits regarding its usage.

As mentioned above, there's a new form of Orb mastery and two types for Tomes (already previewed by WotC).
Can you spoil us some of the familiar feats? Or anything about familiars at all would be great.

Thanks,

-Kcinlive
Would you elaborate on how the Tome of Binding applies to conjurations? We've seen it mentioned, twice, that they interact with some conjurations, but that's a bit open-ended. An example would be great.

As already previewed by WotC, the Tome of Binding option allows you to add your Con modifier to the damage rolls of creatures summoned by one power once/encounter. So, if you summon an Astral Wasp, you add your Con bonus on top of the damage it normally does until it is killed, you dismiss it, or the encounter ends.