4e Hellkin- PEACH

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
This topic is one I originally tried to cover under the "Want PEACH on these race conversions", but, as Crimson Concerto so kindly pointed out, I pretty much made a mess of things by posting all nine races at once. So, I decided to start over so I could finally fix these guys up. The spoiler block contains the race's fluff and its 3.5 stats (mutations were like racial powers that were acquired as the hellkin levelled up), and the outside block is my first attempt at a 4e version.

Artificers

The devils in the machine, artificers are the foundation of the modern Infernum. The wondrous engines and cunning torture chambers that process millions of souls a day and fill the vast reservoirs of iliaster for the Houses were built by artificers. The weapons of the demonic legions were forged by artificers; the war-chariots and bio-mechanoid siege monsters were bred and trained by artificer handlers. The vast black economy of torment relies on their efforts.

Small wonder, then, that the artificers were the prime movers in the revolt of the Free Cities. For the first time, the servant caste of demons tried to claim privileges reserved for the nobler fiends. In the Free Cities, the artificers are lauded on the streets as heroes; in the Houses, the pendulum has swung the other way and the artificers are treated as little better than the damned, to keep them down in their place. The ichor of enslaved artificers oils the wheels of industry.

Physically, artificers are small, squat creatures who become progressively more mechanical as they grow. They reinforce this image by wearing ornate suits of armor made from scrap metal and salvaged pieces of machinery. Their most notable feature is their supple, many-fingered hands.

House Artificers: Zethu, Sturrach, Haimon and Glabretch are all dependent on the constant work of their artificer legions. Any House involved in the heavy industry of the Sixth Circle, or who hopes to maintain a naval fleet, tanks or any sort of technological base, needs artificers. It is perhaps easier to list which Houses do not make widespread use of artificers – Riethii has little need for them and Lictat lacks the wealth to make use of them.

Free Artificers: Free artificers flock to the cities, where their talents are needed. Many mercenary bands also need artificers to maintain their weapons and vehicles, not to mention torture devices and extraction rigs. That the artificers’ work is vital is recognized by all in the Infernum.

Ability Scores: Int +2, Str –2
Hit Dice: d6
Saving Throws: Good Fortitude & Will, Poor Reflex
Base Armour Bonus: +3
Natural Weapons: Claw 1d4
Breed Skills: Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (any), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Handle Spawn (Cha), Knowledge (any), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Torture (Wis)
Skill Points/level: 6 + Intelligence Modifier per level; quadruple skill points at 1st level
Size: Small. Artificers have a base movement of 20 feet per round

Chain of the Artificer

I – Machine Empathy (Mental): An artificer can listen to the groans and creaks of a machine to discern its nature or its problems. By making a Wisdom check (DC 10) and spending one minute examining a device, an artificer can determine the basic purpose and function of a device, its basic properties and whether or not it is damaged or functioning properly.

II – Improved Armour (Physical): Plates of armor and machine parts grow on the demon’s body. Its natural armor bonus increases by +3.
This link carries a drawback: the demon’s movement drops by 5 feet per round.

III – Remote Control (Psychic): By touching a machine, an artificer can establish a psychic link with the device. The artificer may now control the machine by spending one iliaster per round as if it was standing at the controls of the machine. An artificer may have only one such link at any time.

IV – Improved Armor (Physical): The demon’s armor now covers every inch of its body. Its natural armor bonus increases by another +3 (to a total of +6).
This link carries a drawback: the demon’s movement drops by another 5 feet per round (to a total of –10 feet).

V – Possess Machine (Psychic): An artificer may now physically merge with a machine by touching it; this works just like the normal form of possession, but only works on machines. The machine must have at least one moving part; a demon could possess a gun but not a sword using this ability.
This link carries a drawback; if an artificer is in physical contact with a machine when it is damaged, it takes part of the damage in proportion to its current hit points. For example, if a machine has 150 hit points and the artificer has 50 hit points, then the artificer takes one quarter of the damage dealt and the machine takes three quarters.

Artificer
Origin: Immortal
Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Low-Light
Stat Bonus: +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution
Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana, +2 Dungeoneering
Racial Features:
Fire Resistance- as per Tiefling
Iron Skin- +1 racial bonus to Fortitude defence
Relentless Advance- may reroll saves to end Immobilized, Stunned and Dazed effects
Natural Armor- you may use Harden the Shell as an Encounter power.

Harden the Shell
Iliaster pulses through veins into the metal sprouting from your flesh in response to an enemy's blow, ensuring that they will not find it so easy to hurt you with further attacks.
Immediate reaction
Effect: you gain Damage Reduction 3 until the end of the encounter. This increases to Damage Reduction 6 at level 11 and to DR9 at level 21.

Now, I've been told that Iron Skin doesn't work, due to a racial defense bonus only being applicable if the race has both stats in the same defense modifier. Would a +2 racial bonus to armor class be valid, instead?

If it is, then what about altering Harden the Shell so that it becomes a power whereby the racial AC bonus increases to +5 when the Artificer is Bloodied?

Relentless Advance is a real mess, as it just makes it confusing when the character gets doubled saving throws against some effects, but not against any secondary effects that might be with them. I mostly threw it in so as to make the Artificer different to the Dwarf. Hmm... given that the Artificers are the sorcerer-scientists of the Infernum, and seeing as how Infernum technology is like Steampunk Industrial Revolution Magitek, would it be fitting and balanced to give them a Lightning Resistance ability, ala the Fire Resistance that they already have? Or perhaps Cold Resistance instead (one bit in the books does mention that their metallic, unfeeling shells are as impervious to cold as they are to heat)?
So... does nobody have any comments? Not even on my own comments on the aspects that I now know to be broken? I really do need help on this sort of thing.
Alright, I know that people have been stopping by to look, so can anyone please help me? I hate to beg, but I have nobody else to ask for help and it's fairly clear to me that I'm not going to be able to balance these races unless I can get some commentary on them.

To help matters, I decided to put my 'original changes' into effect and see what effect that has on the Artificer profile...

Artificer
Racial Features:
Born in the Flames: Artificers have Fire Resistance 5 + 1/2 character level
Iron Skin: Artificers receive a +2 racial bonus to Armor Class
Unfeeling Shell: Artificers have Cold Resistance 5 + 1/2 character level
Natural Armor: Artificers may use the Harden the Shell racial power

Harden the Shell
Iliaster pulses through veins into the metal sprouting from your flesh in response to an enemy's blow, ensuring that they will not find it so easy to hurt you with further attacks.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: you are reduced to Bloodied condition
Effect: your AC bonus from Iron Skin increases to a +5 bonus
Special: should your hit points rise above Bloodied, your Iron Skin AC bonus reverts to a +2 bonus and you cannot use this power again during this encounter
Special: at 21st level, the benefits of Harden the Shell last for the entire encounter, even if you are healed out of the Bloodied state

So, how does this version of the Artificer look? I'm still worried about Harden the Shell, but I figure that the trade-off between high AC and high HP should make it more balanced. I'll admit that giving it two damage resistances and an AC bonus does feel a bit strong... too strong, perhaps?
Does nobody have anything to say to this? I accept any and all comments- I want to make this race balanced for 4th edition, I truly do, so feel free to be as harsh as you feel you must.
Okay, this is starting to get annoying. I know people are dropping by, so why won't anyone comment?

Here's another of the nine races, to see if that gets people to comment.
Beasts

The beasts of Hell are named as such because of their animalistic features; even the most humanoid of them resembles a ghastly hybrid of human and animal shapes, while elder beasts are even more grotesque. However, they are not dumb, feral spawn. The beastly nature of these beings is in their actions, not their appearances. The beasts are the most cunning, cruel and amoral of all demons. They are the scholars who invented the torture palaces, the sorcerers who bind souls and trap morals, and the advisors who argue for war.

As a beast grows, it becomes more and more animalistic. Some beasts resemble combinations of animals with, for example, the head of a wolf, body of a lizard and wings of a bat, while others bear the traits of a single animal, beginning as a hybrid of cat and man, then becoming more and more feline until it walks on all fours.

House Beasts: Zethu and Haimon both have great numbers of beasts in their ranks; alarmingly, so does House Riethii. Carthenay has relatively few beasts, but those few are notoriously cunning and miserly. Sturrach is the only House to deploy its beasts in the field, where they serve as war-sorcerers and scouts for the Sturrach legions.

Free Beasts: most free beasts are hermits, lurking in the wildernesses of the Upper Circles or even in the caves beyond the Pit, where they pursue their own abstruse and occult projects. Other beasts join with mercenary groups, where the other demons can help with the beasts’ lack of hands and tools.

Ability Scores: A beast can choose one of the following ability score packages:
• +2 Str, –2 Dex, Claw 1d6
• +4 Str, –2 Dex, –2 Cha, Bite 1d8
• +2 Dex, –2 Str, Claw 1d4
• +4 Dex, –2 Str, –2 Con, Claw 1d4
• +2 Con, –2 Cha, Bite 1d8
• +4 Con, –2 Cha, –2 Dex, Bite 1d10
Hit Dice: d8
Saving Throws: Any two Good, one Poor
Base Armour Bonus: +4
Natural Weapons: See ability scores above
Breed Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (hellfire, script) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (any), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (any) (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Sorcery (Varies), Swim (Str), Torture (Wis)
Skill Points/level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier per level; quadruple skill points at 1st level
Size: Medium

Chain of the Beast

I – Scent: A beast can detect the presence of hidden foes within 30 feet by scent alone. It can also track by scent by making a Survival check (DC 10 normally) to follow a trail.

II – Size Increase: This link carries a drawback; all armour and weapons must be specially made or adapted for the creature, as its shape becomes stranger. This doubles the cost of all such worn equipment.

III – Modified Ability Scores: Apply the ability score modifi ers for the beast’s chosen package again (adding a +2 bonus to bite or claw damage).

IV – Bestial Mind (Mental): The demon may now spend three iliaster to re-roll any Will saves against mind-affecting effects.
This link carries a drawback: the demon becomes a four-legged thing. It can no longer use its primary forelimbs for carrying or the fine manipulation of objects.

V – Modified Ability Scores: Apply the ability score modifiers for the beast’s chosen package again (adding a +4 to bite or claw damage).

Beast
Speed: 6 squares
Stat Bonus: +2 to Constitution, +2 to Intelligence
Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana, +2 Religion
Racial Features:
Bestial Mind: gain a +1 racial bonus to Will defense
Bioweaponry: gain Bioweaponry as an Encounter power.

Bioweaponry
Fang and claw, stinger and tentacle, snapping pincers and clacking mandibles. You descend upon your doomed victim with all your bestial arsenal, rending and tearing and shredding...
Melee attack, Target 1 creature
Minor Action
Attack: Strength +4 vs. AC
Hit: target is considered Grabbed and takes 1D6 damage, increasing to 2D6 at level 11 and to 3D6 at level 21. Each round you maintain the Grab, you inflict 1D6/2D6/3D6 damage as appropriate. Increase the Attack bonus to +6 at level 11 and to +8 at level 21

Now, the main problem that was pointed out to me with this is that Bestial Mind is unneccessary. Is this the case? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement ability or two? And are there any other problems with this class?
A few things, for the most part, the races that have bonus defenses usually have +2 in the same defense stat, like a Str and Con would get +1 to will.

Second, no races have a flat bonus to AC, that's just way to strong of an ability.

Third, only a few races have resist, none have double the resist.

Your artificer power seems to be about the same as the goliath power.

Minor Action
Resist 5 until the end of your next turn.

The only other things goliaths get, is double rolls on athletics.

So your really overpowered with all the rest of the stuff.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Only one race in core so far has any damage resistances at all, and that's the Tiefling. And is Cold Resistance really that useful? I can't think of any creatures that do cold damage beyond the Frost Archons and the Ghaele of Winter.

There's a difference between Resistance 5 and boosted Armor Class. Resistance lowers all damage taken, while Armor Class means the enemy must roll higher to hit the character. So they're not really the same.

Why is a flat AC bonus, especially one of +2, overpowered? Please explain.

Also, I'd like to point out that as a Small sized race with only speed 5 and without the Dwarf's "ignore heavy loads" racial ability, the heavy armors are pretty much denied to the Artificer race, as it'll slow them to a crawl. Not good for a race otherwise ideally suited to the Defender role (though that AC bonus makes them a bit harder to hit and thus suited to any role, really).

And on the subject of the Beast... I know that it's normally only seen on races with a boost to the same defense. I'm just not sure of what to give it in it's place. Hmm... would the ability to immediately make a saving throw against a specific mind-altering effect (Charm or Domination or whatever) be a balanced replacement?
Okay, I've been away and thinking over this topic for a while and I have some revisions that might hopefully be more balanced. Can anyone tell me what they think?
Artificer
Racial Features:
Born in the Flames: Artificers have Fire Resistance 5 + 1/2 character level
Unfeeling Shell: Artificers have Cold Resistance 5 + 1/2 character level
Natural Armor: Artificers may use the Harden the Shell racial power
Stable Firing Stance: Artificers receive a +1 racial bonus to To Hit rolls made with Ranged (but not Thrown) weapons.

Harden the Shell
Encounter
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: you are reduced to Bloodied condition
Effect: you gain a +2 racial bonus to Armour Class.
Special: should your hit points rise above Bloodied, the effects of Harden the Shell wear off.
Special: at 21st level, the benefits of Harden the Shell last for the entire encounter, even if you are healed out of the Bloodied state

*I left it with Fire and Frost resistance because there is precedence for dual damage resistances (the Deva's Astral Resistance racial feature gives it Tiefling style resistance to both Radiant damage and Necrotic damage).
*Harden the Shell I'm still a little worried about- would making it a Stance work better?
*Stable Firing Stance, I'll admit, stems a good deal from the fact I haven't a clue for any further racial features to give the race (or even if it actually needs them). The other ingredient was the fact that the Artificer race in 3.5 is heavily orientated towards mastering firearms (ranged weapons) due to both their Possess Machine racial power and the fact that their Movement drops to 10 feet per round.

As for the Beast...
Beast
Stat Bonus: +2 to Constitution, +2 to Intelligence
Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana, +2 Religion
Racial Features:
Bestial Form: gain Bioweaponry as an Encounter power.
Hellspawned Vigor: when a Beast is the target of an effect that restores Hit Points, they also heal a number of bonus hit points equal to their Constitution modifier. This feature does not apply to Temporary Hit Points.

Bioweaponry
Fang and claw, stinger and tentacle, snapping pincers and clacking mandibles. You descend upon your doomed victim with all your bestial arsenal, rending and tearing and shredding...
Melee attack, Target 1 creature
Minor Action
Attack: Strength +4 vs. AC
Hit: target is considered Grabbed and takes 1D6 damage, increasing to 2D6 at level 11 and to 3D6 at level 21. Each round you maintain the Grab, you inflict 1D6/2D6/3D6 damage as appropriate. Increase the Attack bonus to +6 at level 11 and to +8 at level 21
Everything looks fine, but here are a few points I dislike:

-at 21st level, the benefits of Harden the Shell last for the entire encounter, even if you are healed out of the Bloodied state

Instead, increase the AC bonus at 21st level. Giving a race an encounter power that lasts all encounter is REALLY silly.

-Stable Firing Stance
This bothers me because it shoe horns the race into using Ranged Weapons...and is REALLY easy to abuse for a constant racial +1 to hit. The only other races with racial bonuses to hit come with temporary circumstances to limit their use.

i.e. Dragonborn = +1 to hit when Bloodied, Tiefling = +1 to hit vs Bloodied.

Both of these situational...and while you could leave your Dragonborn at Bloodied for a constant +1 to hit, chances are you'll fall out of blooded with the first second wind/healing word.

Too strong. Make it more situational so that it only lasts half the combat or so.

-The beast looks good. I have no gripes with it.
Thank you for that reply, Satori. I really do need a bit of help with making these races work.

*For Harden the Shell, what level of AC bonus would you recommend at 21st level? A +5 bonus would be way too high, wouldn't it?

*I see your point about Stable Firing Stance. What would you recommend in its place? Hmm... the Gnoll racial profile from one of the free issues of Dragon has Claws, doesn't it? Would it work if I stole that racial feature? After all, more defensive features (including a passive AC bonus) are too powerful, and the Artificer did have a Claw attack as standard in 3.5. And, after all, the Beast's Bite/Claw attack options got translated into being its Racial Power.

*Speaking of which, are you sure that Hellspawned Vigour isn't too powerful? Also, I've a feeling that I stuffed up the details for how the racial powers actually work- can you advise me on how to fix that and bring them into line with the PHB ones?
I don't believe Harden the Shell needs to scale as level increases. Look at the Shifter or Deva defenses, they don't scale.
(The reason the damage scales is because monsters have more hit points at higher levels. The to-hit ratio remains at about 50% throughout the campaign, so +1 to defense a 1st level is as good as a +1 to defense at 30th level)

Anyway, I think that Harden the Shell may be a bit too powerful. It could end giving a bonus to AC for the entire encounter (Shifters are the only race that get encounter-long bonuses, and that is their only racial trait). I'd go for an immediate reaction that gives a +2 to defenses until the end of your next turn.

And as for another racial trait; they sound almost like living construct-type things. You could give them a +2 bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage. (The Gnoll's claw attacks were a feat)

Finally, why don't you just give the Beast a Con mod bonus to its surge value, like the Dragonborn?
Hmm... yes, thank you for your insight Novatack. Does this version of Harden the Shell look better?

Harden the Shell
Encounter
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: you are successfully hit by an enemy attack
Effect: you gain a +2 racial bonus to Armour Class until the end of your next turn.

That's a good suggestion for the final Artificer racial feature. This along the lines you were suggesting?
Flesh and Steel: you gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws made to end ongoing damage.

As for the Beast, I decided to make Hellspawned Vigor the way it is because A: I didn't want to make it seem too like the Dragonborn, and B: at the time, I didn't remember how the Dragonborn's healing feature went.
I think that the new version of Harden the Shell looks better, IMHO.
And yeah, Flint and Steel was pretty much what I had in mind.

For the Beast, I can understand not wanring to have an ability that's too similar to the Dragonborn, but the trait would end up being essentially the same. I figure that if they're that similar functionally, you should either make it identical, or scrap it in favor of something with similar flavor.

And I just noticed that Bioweaponry targets AC, whereas grabs ordinarily target Reflex. So, it would probably make a bit more sense if it targetted Reflex, also.
Thank you for the help with Harden the Shell and Flint and Steel- that seems to place the Artificer on the Finished pile...

Can you suggest something unique for Hellspawned Vigor? If it comes down to it, I'm alright with making it mirror Dragon Heritage, but I'd prefer to make it unique.

So, once Hellspawned Vigor is taken care of (oh, and thanks for pointing out that Bioweaponry should target Reflex- speaking of which, if it does, should I scale the bonus back to Strength +2?), should I post up breed #3, the Deceiver?
I suggest a better name, as the Artificer is the name of an actual class. At the moment I don't know what to call/suggest for it though.
Glad I could help!

Anyway, yes Bioweaponry should probably be reduced to Strength +2. (Although, to keep in line with other racial powers, it should probably Strength +2, Constitution +2, or Dexterity +2 vs. Reflex, becoming +4 at 11th level and +6 at 21st level (I know I said that attack/defense bonuses don't usually scale, but racial attack powers are the exception- the game assumes that you get better magic wepons/implements to increase your base attack bonus as time goes on; something that racial attacks do not benefit from.))

For Hellspawned Vigor, maybe you could get temporary hit points equal to twice your Constitution modifier whenever you spend a healing surge, or something like that.
JLaurHughes: I know that Artificer is a class name too, but I can't really think of a name that would work as a replacement. At this stage, I choose to simply acknowledge that there's a class by the name, which is also about melding science and sorcery, and focus on just getting the class's stats right.

Novatack:
I appreciate the help, I truly do. Hmm... for Bioweaponry, would Intelligence or Constitution work as the attack stats? After all, they are the stats it gets racial bonuses is.

Similarly, would Hellspawned Vigor doubling the amount of temporary hitpoints that a Beast gains when targeted by such an effect be valid, or too overpowered? I'm guessing the latter...
I may be getting ahead of myself, so I apologise if this is so, but I figured I'd post up the Deceiver. This race is going to need some extensive overhauls, that I bet.

Deceivers

The deceivers are perhaps the most powerful of the breeds politically and hold positions of power in all the Houses. This standing comes from the deceivers’ original purpose as officers and intelligence agents in the armies of Hell; when the Houses took power, the deceivers were more than ready to step in as leaders and commanders, replacing their old masters with smooth treachery.

Deceivers have a range of useful abilities, but they are best known for their mastery of Possession. Along with their malcubi allies, they are the courtiers of the Infernum, although their power is balanced by the military might of the fiends and the economic influence of the slavers.

Physically, a deceiver looks… human, perfectly human. While a wingless malcubi might pass for an exotic and alluring human, a deceiver could walk down a street on Earth without drawing attention. While gender is largely an affectation for this breed, most deceivers have chosen one or the other and look like an ordinary, if handsome, example of the sex. The one flaw in the deceiver’s human guise is the flaw that every deceiver develops – some small imperfection like a tail or cloven hooves or cat’s eyes or a chill touch that gives away the demon’s true nature.

House Deceivers: While the deceivers generally claim pre-eminence in all the Houses, their influence is challenged in all of them. In Sturrach they must share power with the fiends; in Riethii with the malcubi, in Zethu with the artificers and beasts, and so on. The deceivers do manage to reinforce their influence in the Houses by refusing to deal with lesser demons, and only speaking to each other in inter-House negotiations. This ‘noble pact’ has preserved the deceiver’s standing in the face of adversity.

Free Deceivers: Free deceivers who wish to survive need allies; lone nobles are brought low by packs of jealous bandits and hungry spawn unless they are singularly powerful demons. The deceiver breed has managed to retain much of its standing in the Free Cities, leading many to grumble that they exchanged one master for another, identical master.

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma.
Hit Dice: d8
Saving Throws: Good Will, Poor Fortitude & Reflex
Base Armour Bonus: +2
Natural Weapons: None
Breed Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Grovel (Cha), Hide (Cha), Knowledge (law, local, nobility & royalty)(Int), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Torture (Wis)
Skill Points/level: 6 + Intelligence Modifier per level; quadruple skill points at 1st level

Chain of the Deceiver

I – Fell Insight (Mental): The demon gains an unnatural insight into the thoughts and desires of others. The demon gains a +4 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks.
This link carries a drawback; the demon develops a subtle physical fl aw that distinguishes him as a demon. This may be chosen by the Games Master or the Player (with the Games Master’s permission).

II – Possession (Psychic): By touching a target and spending five iliaster, the deceiver can attempt to possess the target. This is a full-attack action if done in combat and requires a touch attack.

III – Mesmeric Glance (Psychic, Mind-Affecting): The demon can now hypnotise enemies with a glance. This is a gaze attack that costs three iliaster to activate; the demon can maintain the gaze for as long as it wishes so long as it does not move. Those within 30 feet of the demon’s gaze must make a Will save each. If the victim fails one Will save, he is dazzled; if he fails two in a row, he is stunned, and if he fails three in a row, he is fascinated until the gaze ends.

IV – Hellfire (Hellfire): The deceiver can spit a gout of hellfi re. The gout is a cone ten feet long. Spitting the gout is an attack action that costs three iliaster.

V – Claim: The deceiver can now force others into Covenants. When it possesses a target, it may spend any amount of possession points to establish a Covenant of equal strength. Activating this ability costs seven iliaster and ends the possession.

Deceiver
Stat Bonus: +2 to Constitution, +2 Charisma
Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight
Racial Features:
Psychic Insinuation- when using powers with the Psychic keyword, you inflict +1 damage. Increase this to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 21st level.
Possession- you have the Possession ability as an Encounter power.

Possession
While true domination of an enemy's psyche takes time and precision, it is still possible to quickly deliver a brutal and violent shock to their mind, leaving them dazed and reeling with mental overload.
Psychic
Minor Action
Ranged 5, Target 1 creature
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Will
Effect: the target takes 1D6 Psychic damage and is Stunned until the start of Deceiver's next turn. The damage increases to 2D6 at 11th level and to 3D6 at 21st level. Increase the To Hit bonus to +4 at 11th level and to +6 at 21st level.

*In the beginning, I figured Psychic Insinuation would be alright, seeing as how the Deceiver's racial power does psychic damage, but now I see that it basically pigeonholes the Deceiver into the Wizard and Warlock classes. A replacement power that suggests itself to me is to make enemies suffer a -2 penalty to defense and/or saving throws against Charm or Fear effects dealt by a Deceiver, but wouldn't that be just as bad in terms of pigeonholing?

*Now that I look about it further, Possession seems really warped. Would this racial power work better?

Maddening Whispers
Encounter; Racial; Fear
Minor Action; Close Burst 1
Target: all enemies in burst
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Will
Hit: 1D6 + Int modifier Psychic damage

*From a thematic point of view, the Deceiver as a race were created for the Leader role (specifically, in 4e terms, the Warlord class)... so should I give them a racial feature that plays on that fact?
Hellspawned Vigor giving twice the number of hitpoints would be a bit overpowered (things like the Infernal Warlock and Battlerage Fighter become insane). You could still say that they get some additional temporary hitpoints whenever they get temporary hitpoints,just not quite double. (For example, whenever an effect grants you temporary hitpoints, you gain an additional 5 temporary hit points, increasing to 10 at paragon and 15 at epic, or something to that effect).

For the Deciever: Stun is waywayway too powerful to have at first level, and Maddening Whispers seems a bit... bland, when talking about a race that can supposedly hypnotize/possess people. You could do something like a standard action power: "the target makes a melee basic attack against a target of your choosing. No attack role required for targeting allies." This gives the "possession" effect, and, because it can give an ally a free attack, doubles as a leader-y power, to boot.

Because of the bonus of sense motives, you could give it a bonus to saving throws against charm effects, or something along those lines.
Thanks, Novatack: I don't know what I'd do without you.

How does this look for the new itineration of Hellspawned Vigor?
Hellspawned Vigor: when the Beast is the target of an effect that bestows temporary hit points, they receive a number of bonus temporary hit points equal to their Constitution modifier.

Great suggestions for the Deceiver. How do these look for the new feature and power?

Iron Willed: Deceivers receive a +2 racial bonus to Will defense when targeted by effects with the Charm or Domination keywords. They also receive a +2 racial bonus to saving throws made to end such effects.

Possession: Deceivers have the Puppet's Strike racial encounter power.

Puppet's Strike
Momentarily slipping into the mind of another, you guide them into making an attack against an opportune target... be it friend or foe.
Encounter; Racial; Charm
Standard Action
Ranged 10
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: the target makes a basic melee attack against a target of your choice that is within their reach. This does not count against their allotment of actions.
Special: if you target an ally with this power, you hit automatically.

*Hmm... do you think you can suggest a revision for Psychic Insinuations? The name sounds appropriate for a Deceiver racial feature, but I can't think of what effect it might actually have.
Thanks! Happy to help. :D

Ego-padding aside, Hellspawned Vigor and Iron-Willed (You may want to change the name, though, since their is an Iron Will feat) seem pretty good. Puppet's Strike seems to be pretty good, also, but I would change the attack to Intellingence +2, Charisma +2, or Wisdom +2 (increasing to +4 at 11th level and +6 at 21st level).

The "racial ability" level of the Deciever seems to be filled, so there really isn't much room for Psychic Insinuations; however, none of these races have feats yet. If you really want to give them a Psychic Insinuations ability, you could always make it into a feat.
So, the Deceiver 4e looks like this?
Deceiver
Stat Bonus: +2 to Constitution, +2 Charisma
Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight
Racial Features:
Mental Locks: Deceivers receive a +2 racial bonus to Will defense when targeted by effects with the Charm or Domination keywords. They also receive a +2 racial bonus to saving throws made to end such effects.
Possession: Deceivers have the Puppet's Strike racial encounter power.

Puppet's Strike
Momentarily slipping into the mind of another, you guide them into making an attack against an opportune target... be it friend or foe.
Encounter; Racial; Charm
Standard Action
Ranged 10
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Will
Hit: the target makes a basic melee attack against a target of your choice that is within their reach. This does not count against their allotment of actions.
Special: if you target an ally with this power, you hit automatically.

*I believe that it's the norm, when giving a racial power multiple "base" stats to play off, to have those stats be the ones that the race actually has a bonus to. Isn't this so? If it is, then it'd probably best to leave Bioweaponry as Constitution vs. Reflex and Puppet's Strike as Charisma vs. Will.

*Hmm... now that I think about it, would +2 Wisdom and +2 Charisma suit the Deceiver better as its racial statistic bonuses?
Looks good.

And no, racial powers tend to have multiple base stats to play off of for the attack roll (although, yes, usually at least one of those gets a bonus). Dragon Breath (Dragonborn) Blade Storm (Bladeling), Firepulse and Earthshock (Genasi) are Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity, and Darkfire (Drow) is Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.

And yeah, Charisma and Wisdom could suit the Deciever pretty well. If you do give them those statistics, though, you'll want to give them a +1 to either Reflex or Fortitude.
I see, thank you for pointing that out.

*For Bioweaponry, how about choosing between Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence for the attack stat? Because I don't really think Constitution would work, unless the attack was about vomiting acids or spraying venom, and either deceiving a foe into dropping their guard, overpowering them, or outmaneuvering them do make sense as ways to latch onto them and start ripping.

*For Puppet's Strike, Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma are what the attack stat is chosen from? Makes sense to me.

*So, you think that +2 Wisdom and +2 Charisma suits the Deceiver best? Well, I agree. As that means a defense feature is required, how does this look?
Wary: Deceivers receive a +1 racial bonus to Reflex defense.

*Just referring to your comment on feats, out of curiosity, would a racial feat to let a Beast do Fire, Acid or Poison damage with their Bioweaponry attack (or to do bonus damage of one of those types) be valid and balanceable? Or is that inherently overpowered?
*For Bioweaponry, the usual stats to choose from are physical (Str, Con, or Dex) or mental (Int, Cha, Wis). But it's not a rule. If you think that Int is more appropriate, make it Int.

*As for Puppet's Strike, like I said, Int/Cha/Wis is standard, so I just used that. In this case, I think it works fairly well.

*Looks good.

*I'd probably stick to 1 damage type per feat. But no, aside from that, there isn't really anything inherently overpowered about it.
I was only thinking of one damage type per feat, but I was just worried that the idea was too powerful. Thanks for quenching my fears.

And thank you very much; that makes the first three races brought into balance. That means it's time to move on to the Fiend race...

Fiends

Fiends are the flying cavalry of Hell. In form, they are closest to the angelic model; each fiend sports a magnificent pair of bat wings that carry them soaring through the skies of Hell. Fiends are proud, cruel demons who strongly believe in their own preeminent place in the legions of the Infernum.

The fiends also hold the position of heralds and messengers in the Houses. Fiends are trusted to fly far and wide, carrying missives and tidings between various Infernal lords. This gives the fiends a certain amount of diplomatic immunity; anyone who interferes with a fiendish herald draws the wrath not only of the fiend’s master, but also of all those who rely on the swift commerce of messenger fiends.

While the power of hellfire is not unique to this breed, they are generally acknowledged as the most skilled crafters of the burning curse. In battle, hellfire bursts rain down from the circling flights of fiends, precisely incinerating the enemy.

House Fiends: House Sturrach is best known of its fiendish legions, which soar in regimented ranks above the war-torn Fifth Circle. Fiends hold high positions in all the Houses, especially Carthenay and Astyanath. Lictat has few of the fiendish breed, while Oblurott fiends are generally seen as laughably fat and runty demons.

Free Fiends: Like deceivers, free fiends often suffer all the pent-up jealousy and hate normally directed towards their arrogant brethren in the Houses. They do well as mercenaries and are also in great demand as messengers, bringing news between different Free Cities.

Ability Scores: Dex +2, Con –2
Hit Dice: d10
Saving Throws: Good Reflex, Poor Fortitude & Will
Base Armour Bonus: +3
Natural Weapons: Claw 1d8
Breed Skills: Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Hellfi re), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Warcraft (Int)
Skill Points/level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier per level; quadruple skill points at 1st level

Chain of the Fiend

I – Wings (Physical): The demon can now fly at 30 feet per round with average manoeuvrability.

II – Hellfire Bomb: At the cost of three iliaster, a fiend can create a fi ve foot wide sphere of hellfire around itself as an attack action. If the fiend is flying, then this globe falls from the fiend and drops up to 250 feet before vanishing. The fiend must make a ranged touch attack to hit with a dropped hellfire sphere and the sphere can only hit enemies below the fiend’s flight path. If created on the ground, the sphere acts as a five-foot burst before vanishing. The sphere automatically vanishes on contact with the ground.

III – Improved Flight/Size Increase: The demon’s flight speed increases to 60 feet per round with good manoeuvrability. Its size increases by one category.
This link carries a drawback; as the fiend’s wingspan increases, its wings become more vulnerable. The demon counts as being one size category bigger for the purposes of determining its armour class.

IV – Hellfire Breath: The demon can now fire a cone of hellfire 30 feet in length at a cost of five iliaster as an attack action. Creatures caught in the cone may make a Reflex save to take half damage.

V – Demon of the Wind: The fiend may now fly at a rate of ten miles per round, but cannot interact or attack when flying at this speed. This ability is used to travel swiftly across the skies of Hell.

Fiend
Stat Bonus: +2 to Dexterity, +2 to Charisma
Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Streetwise
Racial Features:
Wings- all Fiends are born aloft by a pair of bat-like wings. However, learning to fight on the wing takes considerable time and effort, and you are too weak as yet to carry heavy burdens. You have Overland Flight 6 and may Hover. However, you are a Clumsy flyer if forced to fight, and you cannot fly at all if wearing armor of any category other than Cloth.
Hellfire- you may use Hellfire as an Encounter power.

Hellfire
Stoking the pain, malice and hatred in your soul, you transmute iliaster into a soul-burning bolt of greenish-black flames.
Fire, Necrotic
Minor Action
Ranged 10, Target 1 creature
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude
Effect: the target takes 1D6 + Charisma modifier Fire and Necrotic damage. This increases to 2D6 + Charisma modifier at 11th level and to 3D6 + Charisma modifier at 21st level. Increase the To Hit bonus to +4 at 11th level and to +6 at 21st level.

*Now this race has taken a lot of reshaping. For the longest time, I felt that there was nothing wrong with the Overland Flight feature, seeing as how it's the same distance as the Fiend's land speed and it's explicitly stated that a creature using Overland Flight can only fly outside of combat- if confronted, it has to land before it can do anything else. But, I've been thinking and I believe that this ought to get the flavor across- after all, in 3.5, a Fiend that chose a House mutation at first level couldn't fly till level 3, after all. In other words, is this racial feature more balanced than the original edition?

Wings: a Fiend receives a +5 racial bonus to Athletics (Jump) and Athletics (Climb) checks.

*On a semi-related topic, once all nine of the Hellkin breeds are balanced for 4th edition, would you be adverse to helping me put together Paragon Paths for the breeds that deserve them? I have ideas for three already (Fiend Ascendant, Ironclad Artificer, Hulk Juggernaut), though I'm not confident that they're balanced.
Hmm... the flight issue is a difficult one to balance. The first one is borderline useless to most characters, and the second one doesn't seem very flavorful. The best options to me seem to be either to give it a maximum altitude of "2" to keep it in most monsters' melee reach (preventing Fiends from being able to remove the possibility of them getting into melee), or make it so that they have to land at the end of their movement. In either case, you should probably limit their airspeed, as well, since they'll still be able to avoid terrain features.

And yes, I'd be willing to help to create Paragon Paths.
So, you think Flight 2 as a secondary movement option would be best? As this makes it slower than the Fiend's land movement and means it can't evade the reach of most enemies, while still being more useful than only being able to fly outside of combat?

If yes, then this is an idea I could get behind- I've been thinking about how to tweak the Fiend Ascendant for a while (I'll leave the racial PPs until after the breeds are done, if that's alright); perhaps the level 16 feature is to boost the Flight from 2 to 6? After all, the Scion of Arkhosia's level 16 feature is Overland Flight 12.
That would probably work (I'd still stipulate that they have to land after their move, because, otherwise, after two movement actions, it's impossible for any medium-sized melee creature to hit them).
Good point. How does this version of the race look? By the way, I decided to give them Hellfire as their racial power because the Chain of Hellfire, though a Common mutation chain in 3.5 (basically, a set of powers open to all demons), is heavily associated with the Fiend breed- not to mention I felt Hellfire Bomb and Hellfire Breath worked better as the attack powers for the racial paragon path.

Fiend
Speed: 6 squares, Flight 2 squares (see Wings)
Stat Bonus: +2 to Dexterity, +2 to Charisma
Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Streetwise
Racial Features:
Wings- Fiends have Fly 2 as a movement option. However, their wings aren't strong enough for sustained flight yet, so a flying Fiend must land as a free action at the end of their turn.
Hellfire- you may use Hellfire as an Encounter power.

Hellfire
Stoking the pain, malice and hatred in your soul, you transmute iliaster into a soul-burning bolt of greenish-black flames.
Fire, Necrotic
Minor Action
Ranged 10, Target 1 creature
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude
Effect: the target takes 1D6 + Charisma modifier Fire and Necrotic damage. This increases to 2D6 + Charisma modifier at 11th level and to 3D6 + Charisma modifier at 21st level. Increase the To Hit bonus to +4 at 11th level and to +6 at 21st level.

*With Hellfire, I was intending that "Hellfire damage" is dual-typed Fire/Necrotic- that is, a target is only resistant to the damage if they have both Fire Resistance and Necrotic Resistance, and they still use the lower resistance value if they do have both. There's only three problems with that:
Does that rule still exist in 4e?
If it does, is it balanced to give a race such a damage type as an encounter power?
Does the way I've written the power actually convey that fact?

*Secondly, I was thinking it would be appropriate to let the power have an extra boost if the user is Bloodied- do you think that would be fair? If yes, what sort of boost would you recommend? All I can think of are an extra D6 of damage or an increased likelihood of a critical hit... come to think of it, can racial attacks *score* critical hits?
For Hellfire, you might want to say that if the target resists both types, only the lowest resistance applies. (Very few monsters have a resistance to both, so having resistance only apply if the monster resists both types would make it so that virtually no monster has resistance to it, so that's a slight bit powerful. Of course, there's always feats/paragon paths...)

But there's nothing overpowered about giving it typed damage- typed damage doesn't have quite as large an impact as it did in 3.x. And, really, the attack is called Hellfire. Forget the flavor text, the name alone should be a pretty good indicator that it causes fire and necrotic.

As far as giving it a damage boost while bloodied, I'd either reduce the range (or give some other penalty). Or, of course, you could give the race a +1 (2 at 11th, 3 at 21st) to damage rolls while bloodied, or something.
Thanks for that. Hmm... do you think making the default range be 5 squares, but giving it range and bonus damage equal to the Fiend's Con modifer if the Fiend is bloodied when it uses the power would be fair?

Alright, I'll change the wording so that it simply means "if target has both Fire and Necrotic resistance, than the lowest resistance applies against this attack". Hmm... should I make Hellfire slightly stronger against a target that only resists one of the component damage types? Or would that be as unbalanced as saying that it can only be resisted if the target has Fire resistance and Necrotic resistance?

So, are there any other things that stick out as wrong with this race and needing balancing?
The bonus to range seems a bit odd. Most attacks tend to have fairly set ranges. But, like I said, odd =/= bad. I think that it would be okay as you proposed.

You probably shouldn't make Hellfire more powerful than it already is. It can already do 1d6+Cha+Con mod damage, which is fairly powerful for a racial ability.

And I think that's pretty much it.
Thank you for that advice. So, that's the Fiend out of the way. Now, here's the Hulk.

Hulks

Hulks are the front-line troops of the armies of the Infernum. In terms of mentality, they are one step above mindless spawn, but they were never bred for complex thought. They were made to break angels. Even the least of the hulks are walking mountains of muscle and armor plate, spitting gouts of hellfire and carrying weapons like slabs of spiked metal. Greater hulks look more like war machines than living creatures as they stride across the battle, bathed in ichor and hellfire.

Hulk legions make up the core of the armies of each House. Most are kept in huge fortresses, waiting for the next massive offensive, as few hulks have the wit to deal with anything other than battle. Free or renegade hulks are usually recaptured or destroyed by the House authorities, as the demons are too powerful and too valuable to be allowed to vanish into the wilderness.

The few hulks with intelligence and ambition above the average quickly rise to positions of power within the Houses. They are among the cruelest warlords in Hell.

House Hulks: Surprisingly, House Sturrach does not have the greatest number of hulks; that particular honor belongs to the Oblurott. Sturrach hulks tend to be better trained, though. All the Houses use the hulks as shock troops (or, in the case of Zethu, as mobile test-beds for weapons). Hulks outside the military are rare, but there are a large number used as Carthenay loan repayment enforcers.

Free Hulks: Free hulks who are not dragged back to the House militaries almost always become mercenaries. Their combat abilities are just too valuable not to be put to use in the creation of carnage.

Ability Scores: Str +4, Con +4, Dex –2, Int –4, Wis –2.
Hit Dice: d12
Saving Throws: Good Fortitude, Poor Reflex & Will
Base Armour Bonus: +4
Natural Weapons:
Claw 1d8, Secondary Bite 1d10
Breed Skills: Craft (Hellfire), Handle Spawn (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Str), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Warcraft (Int)
Skill Points/level: 4+ Intelligence Modifier per level; quadruple skill points at 1st level
Size: Large – hulks have a reach of 10 feet.

Chain of the Hulk

I – Rage: A hulk can enter a rage once per day as a free action by spending five iliaster. In a rage, a hulk temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armour Class. The increase in Constitution increases the hulk’s hit points by two points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are. While raging, a hulk cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate and Ride), the Concentration skill or any abilities that require patience or concentration.
A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. At the end of the rage, the hulk loses the rage modifi ers and restrictions and becomes fatigued for the duration of the current encounter.

II – Size Increase.
This link carries a drawback; the hulk now cannot end its rage prematurely, nor may it leave a combat while there are foes still standing. It can overcome this bloodlust by making a Will save (DC 15).

III – Armour (Physical): The hulk’s natural armour bonus increases by +3.

IV – Size Increase.

V – Tireless Rage: The hulk is now no longer fatigued after raging.

Hulk
Speed: 7 squares
Stat Bonus: +2 Strength, +2 Consititution
Skill Bonus: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate
Racial Features:
Oversized- as per the Minotaur
Startling Speed- you gain a +1 racial bonus to Reflex defence
Rampage- you may use Rampage as an Encounter power

Rampage
Bellowing in fury, you flail around wildly, swatting enemies with such powerful blows that they are hurled through the air like broken toys.
Burst 1 centered on Hulk, Target all creatures in burst
Minor action
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex
Effect: targets take 1D6 + Strength modifier damage and are Pushed 1 square. This increases to 2D6 + Strength modifier damage at level 11 and to 3D6 + Strength modifier at level 21. Increase the To Hit bonus to +4 at level 11 and to +6 at level 21.

*Now, I know that the Oversized ability definately needs replacing, but I'm not sure what to put in its place. Any ideas?

::Edit::
I was just thinking; would this feature work?
Overwhelming Power: when you Push or Slide a target, you increase the distance by +1 square.
So, is there anything I need to do in order to fix up the Hulk and bring it back into line with the existing 4e races? I know that Oversized needs definate replacing, but is there anything else that needs to be taken care of?
Ookay... where is folks? Ah, well, just to make sure this doesn't fall off the map, here's the next breed of demon, the Imp. Please comment on anything that looks out of place, outright broken, or otherwise changeable- I truly want to make these balanced for 4th edition.

Imps

Generally considered to be the least powerful and influential of the demon breeds, imps are more often found as advisors and scouts than as lords and generals. The small and physically unimpressive imps are used to being underestimated. Their chubby bodies are held aloft by spindly bat-wings and their faces are a mess of bulging eyes and jagged teeth, as if the imps were made to be twisted parodies of fiends.

The imps like it this way. They can be found in every House, serving powerful warlords and wealthy nobles. They may be servants, but they are almost invariably trusted servants with the ear of their masters. The best place for an imp is to be perched on the shoulders of a more powerful demon, whispering advice and suggestions.

House Imps: Every House has vast numbers of imps flitting around their fortresses. The obvious exception is House Sturrach – the harsh military discipline and constant combat wipes out most imps early. Oblurott imps also have short life spans; most grow too fat to fly and get trodden underfoot. Carthenay and Lictat both have imps in positions of high authority.

Free Imps: Free Imps are relatively rare. Most are forced to survive as thieves or else attach themselves to a more powerful protector. Because bigger demons tend to ignore imps, they can slip in and out of the Free Cities, acting as spies or double agents.

Ability Scores: Str –2, Con –2, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha –2
Hit Dice: d6
Saving Throws: Good Reflex & Will, Poor Fortitude
Base Armour Bonus: +2
Natural Weapons: Claw 1d4
Breed Skills: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Grovel (Cha), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points/level: 4 + Intelligence modifier per level; quadruple skill points at 1st level
Size: Small. Imps have a base movement of 20 feet.

Chain of the Imp

I – Wings (Physical 2): The imp grows a pair of stubby bat wings. It can now fly at 40 feet per round with average manoeuvrability.

II – Shrink: The demon can now reduce its size to Diminutive at the cost of two iliaster per minute. Activating this ability is a free action. Only the demon shrinks – not its equipment or armour. This link carries a drawback; the imp becomes instinctively servile and fearful. It suffers a –4 penalty to any attempt to resist Intimidation.

III – Suggestion (Psychic): By spending three iliaster, the imp can make a suggestion to a target that can hear the imp’s voice. The target must make a Will save or follow the imp’s suggestion if it is reasonable; the suggestion manifests in the target’s mind as his own idea, so a suggestion that is totally out of character for the target is unlikely to work.

IV – Improved Shrink: The imp can now reduce its size to Fine at the cost of four iliaster per minute. Activating this ability is a free action. Only the demon shrinks – not its equipment or armour.

V – Possession: The imp can now physically possess creatures by shrinking, flying into their ear and controlling them by manipulating the brain. This works just like the normal form of possession, but the imp cannot be removed by exorcism.

Imp
Stat Bonus: +2 to Dexterity, +2 to Wisdom
Skill Bonus: +2 Streetwise, +2 Insight
Racial Features:
Unspoken Suggestions- you gain a +2 racial bonus to Bluff checks.
Shrink- you may use Shrink as an Encounter power.
Quick to Dodge- gain a +1 racial bonus to Reflex defence.

Shrink
With a faint squeak of terror, you suddenly reduce yourself to a fraction of your original size. Let's see them hit you now!
Minor Action; Stance
While the stance lasts, you have a +2 racial bonus to Reflex defence.
Special: You must be Bloodied before you can use this Stance.
It's a shame more people aren't paying attention to this. I've never played Infernum before, but it sounds cool.

As far as the Hulk goes, instead of Oversized, maybe give them a bonus to attack rolls when bloodied to represent rage or maybe make them like dwarves with the ability to be pushed one less square. Their large and strong, so they would probably be hard to push around.
Thanks for the compliment, Xenowrath. I personally found Infernum very enjoyable, if somewhat complex- it even had elaborate rules for controlling territory, mass combats, and social interactions. I personally see a lot of 4e elements in the setting, too; levels go from 1 to 30, the Sorcery system is almost identical to 4e's Ritual system, and the Mutation system, which gives you either a passive ability or a mana-fuelled power at each level, well...

Anyway, to get back on topic, thanks for the comment about the Hulk. Hmm... does this racial feature look balanced and thematically appropriate?

Bloody Wrath: when a Hulk is Bloodied, they gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls and to damage rolls.
I'm not very good at judging if something is balanced, but the feature seems balanced to me.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to bump Bloody Wrath to +2.
I think I'd rather err on the side of caution and leave it as +1; all of the other races with features revolving around Bloodied (Tieflings, Devas) only have a +1 bonus.

So, if that's all the problems with the Hulk, what about the Imp? Anything need correcting there?
Their is something about the Imp that I haven't been able to put my finger on, but I think it's probably balanced.