Dwarf Clan Name

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all. I am looking for a kick arse Clan name for my Dwarf. You know, the ones like Battlehammer and Ironforge. I'd like something original, that rolls off the tongue well and will put the fear o'the bearded folk into many a monster's stat block! Suggestions?
Deepiron
Gravelslasher
Slatemine
Shalemace
Prayerbreaker
Warquarry

All courtesy of the Dwarf Clan Name Generator
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I was in a WoW guild called "Clan Ironbrow", which I liked a lot as a name. It does roll off the tongue pretty well.
Ok, I'll give up of mine ;)

The 6 Great Clans in my world:
Skullcrusher
Trollhammer
Rockjaw
Thunderaxe
Orcbane
and...my personal favorite...Deeplager

Some minor clan names I've used:
Surehammer
Stonebreaker
Firecaller - I used for a family that was well known for its unusual propensity for producing wizards
Anvilmar
If you have Races of Stone, it has a means of forming dwarf names, both in dwarven with the English equivalents. For example:

Prefixes
A-/Al- Forge
Az- Rock
Glan- Forgotten/Lost
Nor-/Nora- Mithral
Whur- Iron

Suffixes
-arr/-aln Tower
-ar/-ard Guardian
-cral Hall
-gen Stone, Monolith
-jak Hold
-zak Anvil

The book also recommends using letters such as a, b, d, f, etc. in between a prefix and a suffix to make it sound better.

Personally, I don't like all of the words they created, and I'll sometimes use a prefix as a suffix and vice versa. What I like to do, though, is pick both a dwarven name and an English, er, Common, equivalent.

For example, Azdar Genjak. Which translates, roughly, as Rock Guardian of Stonehold. But among non-dwarves, he's known as Astar Stonehold, a slight alteration that's easier for non-dwarves to pronounce.
i was part of a game which involved half of the players being pyromaniac, hydrophobic, drunken dwarves of the clan Torchrest (pronounced Tork-rest). good times.
Hmm...I know my one friend played a Dwarf whose clan name was "Forkbeard," for all that the character in particular didn't have a forked beard, even if he implied it was a family trait. Our DM later made the Forkbeards a noteworthy Dwarf clan in his setting.

In my setting, there were two major Dwarf clans of note: the Blizzardbeards, an isolationist clan who lived in the depths of a far northern mountain range, and the Meadhorns, a more gregarious clan known for their brewing of mead and other liquor (and their fondness for making visitors drink from a huge drinking horn made from a young white dragon's horn before allowing them passage into their home...the whole horn worth, if one really wanted their respect).

There was also a small clan called the Fullbeards," the men of whom were quite proud of their thick beards. Strangely, one of the most respected of the clan was a poor fellow nicknamed "Fuzzface" for his straggly, fuzzy beard...

I know WoW has the Bronzebeard clan, but I can't think of any others from there...
i had a dwarf with the clan name of "Clansbeard" When I thought about it rationally, its seemed stupid - But it just felt right
Warmetal
Battlesinger
Cairnseeker
Stonecipher

and for those gully dwarf fans: Clan Ratbeater
-The sourcebook Dwarves Deep has a section devoted to Dwarven name conventions, with examples of male, female and surnames.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
These are some names that have been used in our campaigns-
Bloodsheild
Stonehammer
Sheildbreaker
Sunforge
Ironbeard
Firesheild
Goldhammer
My current Dwarf character, Krot'ch, is a member of the Loynssön clan. Their crest is the masculinity symbol.

Alternatively, take a peek at the Dwarf Fortress naming system. It has lots of words in English and Dwarven, and combines them nicely.
Please take a look at Avern - a Somewhat Airborne Race! Possibly my favourite thread of all time!
Cavestein
Wolf-rider
Verminking
Stoneforge
Alesmythe
Battlehammer
Foehammer
Bouldershoulder
Axebeard
For my last Dwarf I used "Stoneheart".
My current Dwarf character, Krot'ch, is a member of the Loynssön clan. Their crest is the masculinity symbol.

Crotch Loin-son?
Thunderhammer
Forgeheart
Norris
Hammerfist
Snowbeard
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
Sign In to post comments