Sorcerer is striker!

455 posts / 0 new
Last post
Letting it be known, discuss!

I did sorta expect this though!
chaos vs dragon blood .... hmmm
Colors
It warms my heart to see the return of Chromatic Orb.
Ka-me-ha-me-ha!
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

It makes sense in concept. In practice, there is a high amount of overlap in role with the warlock. I imagine warlocks geared around doing damage may feel overshadowed by the sorcerer (at least, for 1-3, the only levels we can compare). The extra damage that sorcerers deal is frightening if they can hit multiple targets.

The fact that you can use daggers as implements (without needing a special type of dagger) means that you are going to see some very scary halfling/goblin sorceror builds. A level 11 halfling is going to be adding +20 damage (+5 cha, +5 dex, +2 for paragon tier, +3 for implement, +3 for goblin totem, +2 for weapon focus) to every medium sized or larger target they hit, and that only calculates the bonus for one item and one feat. When you add additional class options and paragon paths they may get truly frightening.
Freaking awesome.

Dragonborn Sorcerers seem freakin' sweet, plus the two Arcane classes can mesh well when multiclassing (Pact Blade provides a common implement).

This is just too awesome for words.
Please o ye gods who actually have money to buy subscriptions, bestow upon this lowly mortal a summery of this preview awesome class.
Arcane Striker.
Powers use CHA for hit and damage.
Use Daggers and Staves as implements.
Only a single class feature: Power Source.
Dragon Blood gives you STR to damage and AC, resistance to a damage type (and ability to overcome resistance to that same type), and an AC bonus if you're bloodied.
Wild Magic gives you DEX to damage, either a small AC boost or a bonus saving throw depending on whether you roll odd or even on your first attack roll on your turn, get to slide and knock down an opponent if you critical hit on them, and resistance to a random damage type (roll a D10 after each extended rest) and ability to overcome resistance of that same type.

That's not specific enough to get me in trouble, is it?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I would've been subscribed by now, but I lent my debit card to my mother and she accidentally overdrafted it. So basically I'm broke until she pays me back.
Please o ye gods who actually have money to buy subscriptions, bestow upon this lowly mortal a summery of this preview awesome class.

Ye have asked, and I shall answer.

Sorcerer is a striker. Charisma is the hitting stat, and STR and DEX provide bonuses, depending on your build. Sorcers gain their powers either from Draconic Heritage, which gives you Dragonlike traits such as energy resistance, or a connection with the Elemental Chaos, which gives you more wild powers.

A lot of the Elemental Sorcerer spells have this "wild magic" feel to them. Some effects only activate if you roll an even number on the attack roll, stuff like that.

All-in-all, looks awesome!
Yeah, I'm totally digging these Warlock Dragon Pact and this Chaos Pact! Very cool!

Where's the Sorcerer preview?
Yeah, I'm totally digging these Warlock Dragon Pact and this Chaos Pact! Very cool!

I think you're confused.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
the sorcerer doesn't have the class-abilities to pump damage like the Ranger's Hunter's Quarry, the Warlock's Curse or Rogue's Sneak Attack.

the Dragonic Magic is nasty; adding your Strength bonus to arcane powers. The powers use Charisma (no surprise); A Dragonborn sorcer with 20 Str and 20 Cha (admittedly rare) would add +10 damage to every power.

Dragonfrost and Burning Spray seem to be the very good at-wills

It seems like they could make good fighter/mage style characters and could replace the Warlock for many optimised builds.

With good at will powers like that, I could see more paragon multiclassing becoming very popular.

I am keen to see what racial and multiclass feats they come out with for the Sorcerer. Some will be in PHB2 for others we will have to wait for complete Arcane.

The PP options should also be very interesting

One the surface, I like the overall idea of the sorcerer, it seems to fit well with the general flavour.

latest dragon article from dndinsider
Did you see that 1st level daily? Holy crap, 6d6 damage? Now THAT is a striker.
Wait how broken is this class? is there something there to balance out the high damage besides being a rather glass cannon class?
No AoE spells. Just single-target or Close, and no extra Damage Die like the other Strikers. You get to add another Stat instead.
Resident Logic Cannon
Wait how broken is this class? is there something there to balance out the high damage besides being a rather glass cannon class?

Worst armor proficiencies and HP, down there with the Wizard.
Doesn't look like it has the same kind of mobility that any of the other Strikers have either...
EDIT: Also only as access to a single implement: Staff. It can use Daggers too, but that's hardly the same thing...

it has no bonus dice, unlike most of the other strikers.
Colors
it has no bonus dice, unlike most of the other strikers.

Yeah, but it gets to add a second stat (STR or DEX) of damage to all of its arcane power damage. I'd say that's pretty comparable...

Yeah, but it gets to add a second stat (STR or DEX) of damage to all of its arcane power damage. I'd say that's pretty comparable...

maybebut brutal rouge gets 2d6+str at first level...they get str...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

That's true. However, it has better HP than Wizard. It only has Cloth, yeah, but you can add STR to AC, it has Warlock HP and Surges, and it has GREAT damage. This class should make an AMAZING Gish! Off-hand Staff, main-hand weapon...yeeeaahhh. :D
Resident Logic Cannon
It doesn't seem broken to me, it is a just little different.

Most of the powers are range 10, so it means the sorcerer is always in and around the danger zone; with his lower armour it could make things very interesting indeed.
Time to remake my shifty little kobold sorcerer...

now in wild magic flavor!
No AoE spells. Just single-target or Close, and no extra Damage Die like the other Strikers. You get to add another Stat instead.

lvl 3 encounter power is burst1 within 10squares
Sounds like playing a WoW mage.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Sounds like playing a WoW mage.

You mean the ones they got from D&D? :P

I dig the Sorcerer. Dragon Magic offers some great options for a gish. A solid bonus to AC when first bloodied that lasts until the end of the encounter is nice. So a Dragonborn could get a bonus to AC, a bonus to hit, and a bonus to damage when bloodied...awesome. There are also powers that deal damage to enemies that hit you in melee or move/start adjacent to you. Dragon Sorcerer also offers a nice synergistic MC option for Chalords. Being a total Warlord nut, this is a win. EDIT: Dragon Sorcerer also seems like pure greatness for a Paladin. Synergy with stats, ranged damage capabilities, and forcing opponents into no win situations.

I noticed a feat called Implement Expertise in the Dragon Sorcerer build. Could this allow you to add the proficiency bonus of implements to your attacks? Would that be too good? A +3 to hit would be kinda awesome. If that was the case, this feat would fall under the "too good/no brainer" feat choice that any arcanist would covet (assuming it's not a Sorcerer only feat).
the real peach seems to be the Lightning breath (daily1)

close blast
3d8 damage, (half if miss)
for one turn whenever an emeny melee attacks push him one square plus
a damage for the right bloodline; and it is sustainable
I'm kinda peeved at this class. It's a slap in the face for damage warlocks. Is this their answer to how underpowered the warlock is?

Should we just bury the warlock and all play sorcerers now?

Comments.
I'm kinda peeved at this class. It's a slap in the face for damage warlocks. Is this their answer to how underpowered the warlock is?

Comments.

From what I can see, although it says that Sorcerers are secondary controllers, I still think that Warlocks are better controller than Sorcerers are. Other than sliding a square, I'm not immediately seeing very much control in the Sorcerer, while the Warlock's has always seemed to me to have a decent bit...

Hey...chaos power and dragon power do not have the 1/perround limit like Quarry, Sneak attack and curse...

so ya...SLAP down the warlocks...

Comments.

I'll wait for Arcane Power and PHB2 to see just how screwed Warlocks are. Wild/Dragon Magic's damaging abilities are clearly better than Curse as it stands right now. I'm pretty bitter with what they did to the pact hammer, so I'm not holding my breath.

Comments.

I don't think so, they just seem to play differently thats all.

You have to bear in mind that the socerer was developed with Arcane Power out very shortly after PHB2

there will be some nice stuff in there for Warlocks
theres no way theyr gonna screw warlocks that hard. And arcane power comes out what? 2 months after phb2? maybe 3 tops? I fully expect wizard warlock and sorc to be on relatively happy par with eachother.
From what I can see, although it says that Sorcerers are secondary controllers, I still think that Warlocks are better controller than Sorcerers are. Other than sliding a square, I'm not immediately seeing very much control in the Sorcerer, while the Warlock's has always seemed to me to have a decent bit...

You don't see the pushes, slides, slows, dazes, -def, -hit? Sure sounds controllerish to me
I love the Dragon Sorcerer. Wild, not so much, don't like the choas part of it, but I could see where some might.

Thank god they did not make him a primary controller, that would have been a slap in the face for sorcerers.

Comments.

It's awfully hasty to make that kind of judgment - you can't compare 3 levels of Sorcerer to 30 levels of Warlock, and you don't know how Arcane Power will switch things up.
then again keep in mind in 3e Warlock came out second, and got lots of love for reinventing the wheel...maybe the shoe is just on the other foot this time... does this mean when 5e comes out I want my fav classes not in the first book!?!?!?!?!

And on another note- why are both arcane strikers strictly inferior when it comes to at-wills to the martial strikers? And by inferior, I mean doing their job- big damage.

Mixing control in and gimping the arcane strikers by making them not best at either isn't my favorite thing ever. It puts some pressure on for the player to not do arcane strikers in order to optimize the party, when what I want to play is an arcane striker.

And while I prefer warlocks to what I've seen of sorcerers tonight, I think the sorcerer is probably strictly better-
and I think both are abortions when compared effectiveness as a striker to the every other existing striker class.
You have the math to back up that Sorcs dont deal as much damage with at-wills as martial strikers?