Of Course it's Not a Magic Missle, pfah!

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay... linky linky
Fighters and Swordmages
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Hypnotism: Illusory Spider (or other small creature that the target will feel threatened by, even if a real creature would be no threat at all)

Storm Pillar: Stinging Swarm. Or a small tangle-tree. Or...

Melee Basic Attack: Static Electricity
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

Heheh I mentioned once that 4e wizards dont go to the bathroom without using magic..  

OK a contribution reflavoring Cantrips.

Lesser psychic exertions (cantrips)

Mind Speech (of course it isnt sound and it only really allows emotions to those who dont understand the same language as you and even that takes use bluff/intimidation/)
Lesser Telekinetic Expression  
Photon Aggrevation  
Unstable Etheric Plasma Manifestation 
(prestidigitation)
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Hmm, I've actually gone back and played Icewind Dale 2, got Gedlee's Electric Loop and it was fun for a Close Burst 1 attack.  If I was to attach mechanics to this, I'd probably go...

Static Shock * Arcane, Implement, Lightning
Standard Action | Melee Touch
Target; One creature
Attack: Intelligence versus Reflex
Hit: Intelligence modifier lightning damage, and the target cannot take opportunity actions until the start of your next turn.
Special: This can be used in place of a melee basic attack.

[ Daze seems too powerful for an at-will, Stun even moreso, but given the original effects of Electric Loop, and converting it to an at-will... actually I was originally thinking of having this go "Close Burst 1, one creature in burst"... ]

Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
It occured to me that magic missile not having a to hit check supports many of the reflavorings slightly better...  

To add to the list.

Edmonds Enervating Energy Ecliption... I surrepticiously draw some of the targets energy out of them... for many normal folk this will drop them in to a energyless sleep like state ... though it does take but a slight adjustment if you wish to make it permanent.

And it raises from the dead once again.  This thread either needs it's own movie deal or a good solid headshot!  :D
Resident Shakespeare
And it raises from the dead once again.  This thread either needs it's own movie deal or a good solid headshot!  :D

Shame on your for raising it with out contributing (more)

It isnt just powers that can flavor... try on white lotus feats..  The one which makes the ground dificult terrain be your spell making the subject tempting to earthspirits your magic has awakened ... grasping hands of the hinter gnomes.

When we reflavor we get ahem .... rather flexible ie we cheat.
So we allow changing of NADS at time of selection as well as re-energizing. 

So the sleep spell might become a unbreakable grasping ribbons a binding which targets reflexes  or a physical paralytic poison that targets fortitude technically the change isnt required but fits a little better with the new flavor ... 

If I have an at-will already targetting will I would rather my sleep be one of the others... (no taking sleep spell even re-nadded multiple times sorry I hear a small abuse meter chiming)

See if we can think of a few more...

Beguiling Strands

Spellbound Ribbon - From your outstreched hands ribbons come alive and snap towards your enemies.

Impish Ambush - A flourish of your cloak releases imps, indebted to you, rushing forward to attack your enemy with little pitchforks.

My "buggy" wizard (see my sig; easier now that it's not in a nice neat box) has an insect for every spell.  Away from notes, but here are a few:

Ray of Frost - butterfly with snowflake design on wings
Magic Missile Mk 1 - hornet flies over and stings you a few times
Magic Missile Mk 2 - mosquito, acts like a seeking missile and only stings once
Thunderwave - dozens of those annoying cicadas that chirp all night when you go to the lake
Shield - looks like a beetle's wingcase
Astral Wasp - description obvious, except it's not astral
Feather Fall - you grow grasshopper legs to land on

a cloud of flies for any spell that creates an obscuring zone

any spell that creates difficult terrain - termites show up and chew everything half-apart
he uses a Wand of Accuracy - which might spit a glob of honey wherever he wants the bugs' attention to be drawn

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

My "buggy" wizard  

love theme flavored characters I have one for faerries that this reminds me of.

I considered making a database online where people could fill out there own spell reflavorings/descriptions and download an xml of the information ... ie a collaborative effort. 

Hopefully someone hasn't mentioned this already:

Magic Missile
A shuriken . . . THAT NEVER MISSES.

(I got this idea from a person in another thread.)

(Badass ninjas ftw.)

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Magic Missile Momentary Wench
"Back at the accademy we tried to transmute our elderly housekeeper into a form more attractive. I don't know if the spell ever did get perfected but it was all I could think of in the heat of battle and the sudden morphic snap back and forth between forms can certainly give a nosebleed."

Cloud of Daggers Summon Fairies
"Nobody said that fairies are nice. Pirranas of the forrest y'know."

Scortching Burst Conservation of Energy
"I removed some of their animating vital essence - I had to dump that excess energy somewhere. Put it into you next time you say? I'm not sure how to turn fire into life, but it must be possible."

Shield Bigby's Cloud of Fingers
"A lesser known spell, useless really as it just conjures a lot of fingers. I guess it was lucky that they got in the way."

Sleep Limited Time-Travel
"I sent his mind back into the past hoping to confuse him, I think I sent it back to last night."

Thunder-Wave Very Limited Wish
"I wish you would go away... by jove that worked!"