Arcane Trickster

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcane Trickster

Coming when I think more on it, fluff and stuff!

Prerequisite: Rogue or Wizard; Arcane and Thievery as trained skills; either Arcane Initiate or Sneak of Shadows feat

Arcane Trickster Path Features
Trickster's Ways (11th level): An Arcane Trickster counts as paragon multiclassing as a Rogue (if you have Sneak of Shadows) or Wizard (if you have Arcane Initiate) for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of certain multiclass feats. In addition you may use light blades as an arcane implement.

Impromptu Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra attack action, you gain Combat Advantage against your target and may apply bonus damage from Sneak Attack even if you have already done so before this round.

Trickster's Talents (16th level): If you possess the Sneak of Shadows feat, you may now use Sneak Attack as often in an encounter as a normal Rogue could. If you possess the Arcane Initiate feat, you may now use the encounter power gained from it as an at-will power. You can also apply Sneak Attack damage to your wizard attack spells.

Arcane Trickster Exploits
Pilfer Magic Arcane Trickster Attack 11
Encounter* Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 2 [W] + Intelligence modifier damage
Effect: You remove one beneficial effect from the target and gain +2 to all Defenses until the end of your next turn.

Ranged Legerdemain, Arcane Trickster Utility 12
At-Will* Arcane, Conjuration
Minor Action, Ranged 6
Effect: As Mage Hand with the following exceptions. You may use the Thievery skill through the hand. The hand has a Strength score equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain the hand indefinately.
Special: You can create only one hand at a time.

Arcane Gambit, Arcane Trickster Attack 20
Daily* Arcane, Implement, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, a sling, or use Magic Missile. You must also have Combat Advantage against the target.
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 3 [W] + Dexterity modifier + Intelligence modifier; and until the end of the encounter you have Combat Advantage against the target.
Miss: Half damage and no Combat Advantage.
Nice. I especially like how Pilfer Magic makes the arcane trickster the 4e spellthief. I'm a little uncertain of Trickster's Ways. So it allows you to take feats that otherwise require paragon multiclassing. As far as I know, that means just First In from Martial Power, with the assumption that Arcane Power will provide a similar option. Ok, but it doesn't seem like it offers much. Of course, using light blades could very well balance that out. But what about being able to freely choose your powers from both the wizard and rogue lists? Impromptu Action is nice. It's the perfect 4e analog of Impromptu Sneak Attack. Should it be Impromptu Advantage Action? Wordier, but it actually explains what it is to those who haven't seen 3.5.
I actually modeled Pilfer Magic from the Arcane Trickster ability of the same name as presented in Neverwinter Nights 2. It replaced Ranged Legerdemain in the game.

I trust that there will be more 'paragon class only' feats in Arcane Power. I know it doesn't seem like much, but to my mind it also seems like alot. Allowing this class to grant a benefit that's normally a Paragon Multiclass benefit? It seemed like much but I felt it was right to do so. I just need to think up some good flavor text to help it!

Impromptu Advantage Action does seem a little wordy. Though possibly calling it Imprompt Action might also work. I'm not necessarily trying to explain it to those who haven't seen 3.5, I was hoping that it might appeal to both new and old players.

I feel that if I allowed the Arcane Trickster to freely choose from Rogue and Wizard power lists, I'd be stepping on the toes of three certain feats. The power swap feats I feel are adequate enough, while I still loathe the fact that I must spend three feats to do it, I understand the logic behind it and reluctantly support it.

Then there's the fact that if one does use all three power swap feats, they have the option of gaining new powers in either class at a later point!

I hope that Arcane Trickster brings some rogue flavor to wizards and wizardry to rogues while being something of its own at the same time.
Cool! I'm hesitant to agree with granting a free at will (don't paragon multiclassers have to swap an at will rather than getting a free one?) and unlimited sneak attack. I suppose a wizard is going to have few martial powers and so sneak attacking will mostly take place with basic dagger attacks, which might be self limiting but with the spell thing you might want to reduce the sneak damage by one die akin to the eladrin and dwarf feats that allow those races to attack with heavier weapons. While you are less likely to be able to gain combat advantage at distance, at will sneak damage for wizards seriously expands their damage potential and it makes me a bit nervous.
Paragon multiclassing does, in fact, swap an at will for another.

I've read up on a few other Paragon Paths that grant at-will utility powers, which Ranged Legerdemain is, so I don't think it completely unreasonable.

The sneak attack, itself isn't unlimited. You can still only use it once per round, unless of course you use an action point in which case you CAN use it again. Unlimited though? You still can only spend one action pointe per encounter, limiting the Impromptu Action and preventing great Cheesyness.

I think its fair that if you use a spell that targets multiple enemies, only one of them gets struck with sneak attack damage. I will consider applying a -1 die penalty, but at the moment I don't really see much of a need to.

In fact, a cruel streak in me wishes to see a nice 8d6 + 5d6 + Intelligence modifier worth of damage done! I see you're point, and it may just be the power gamer in me, but I RELISH the thought of finally being able to deal 13d6 points of damage!

Edit: Oooh! One other thing, this Paragon Path is NOT an actual paragon multiclass path, it simply COUNTS as one for purposes of qualifying for any feat that requires the notion. Personally I find that the paragon multiclass thing needs improvement in a few bundle of ways.
Trying to resurrect Raz, I see. Good, good.
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone! :P

Bringing Raz back in this method, *coughbetterthannormalparagonmulticlassrogue-wizardcough*, is one happy bit, I'd like to think that I'm simply providing an accurate translation of the wonderful Arcane Trickster prestige class to paragon path.

:angelhide

I swear I have no ulterior motive!
[
The sneak attack, itself isn't unlimited. You can still only use it once per round, unless of course you use an action point in which case you CAN use it again. Unlimited though? You still can only spend one action pointe per encounter, limiting the Impromptu Action and preventing great Cheesyness.

I think its fair that if you use a spell that targets multiple enemies, only one of them gets struck with sneak attack damage. I will consider applying a -1 die penalty, but at the moment I don't really see much of a need to.

In fact, a cruel streak in me wishes to see a nice 8d6 + 5d6 + Intelligence modifier worth of damage done! I see you're point, and it may just be the power gamer in me, but I RELISH the thought of finally being able to deal 13d6 points of damage!

Lol - yes but when developing a paragon path for your own use, giving it all the abilities you want to have isn't necessarily a wise decision! When I say 'unlimited' I only mean as unlimited as a normal rogue. However, as you point out, you are better than some rogues whose paragon paths do not allow them to sneak attack twice in one round.

Wizards are not strikers and the extra damage from sneak attack is a large part of what makes the rogue a striker. Giving that damage on an 'unlimited' basis to a controller AND allowing it to be applied to their controller powers AND granting a power that gives them combat advantage for the whole encounter does appear like wish fulfilment and several steps too far.

I think that allowing the trickster to use sneak attack twice in an encounter instead of just once so that they would be able to sneak a maximum of three times in any encounter that they spend an action point would be powerful enough when used in conjunction with their controller powers. I would probably be inclined to reduce sneak damage on controller powers by one die but given that wizard powers tend to inflict lower damage than rogue powers and you can only inflict sneak damage on one target in any one round, I agree that this might be unecessary. I'd be interested to hear other views.

I would be inclined to suggest that the multiclass wizard encounter power should be upgraded by swapping it with a rogue at-will to give the rogue/wizard some parity with the restriction on sneak attack for the wizard/rogue. Don't forget that the rogue/wizard is gaining an at-will cantrip at level 12 while the wizard/rogue is just gaining a slight upgrade to an existing cantrip.

Do any people think that this limitiation would make the paragon path under-powered? Other than this, I think it's pretty awesome.
While I would like to give a paragon path all the abilities I would like, I understand that’s not a wise decision when it severely hinders both the sensibilities of the mechanics of the game as well as disrupts the very concept of the path itself.

There are already some paths which allow for additional sneak attack with the expenditure of an action point, so I do not believe that’s out of line.

Wizards are not strikers, and rogues are not controllers. An arcane trickster needs to complement BOTH styles however. It will take play-testing, but I sincerely hope that it does complement strikers and controllers alike.

I do not see a reason why a rogue-wizard should swap out their wizard encounter power gained from the Arcane Initiate feat for a rogue at-will. Personally, I see the transition of making that wizard encounter power to an at-will as natural for the arcane trickster whom is learning more about wizardry. Same for the wizard-rogue, whom is learning how to more skillfully apply precision to their attacks as demonstrated by their ability to use sneak attack as a rogue would.

Yes, the rogue is gaining a cantrip and the wizard is getting an upgrade. Yet, that upgrade becomes more valuable and more versatile than it was before hand. Furthermore, I believe it to be a fair translation of 3.5 version of Ranged Legerdemain. I see this as equally valuable to both rogues and wizards.

In regards to the Arcane Gambit daily power, yes it grants Combat Advantage against a single target for the rest of the encounter. It may be used against a solo monster or it may have been used earlier in the day against that commander that was tipping the fight against your friends. That choice may mean between life or death, victory or defeat, being charcoal bits or the princess’ hubby! That’s what makes it a ‘Gambit’, and I feel it fits the theme of an arcane trickster.

Two possible options come to my mind for those who may believe Arcane Gambit is overpowered.

1: Granting it the ‘Save ends effect’ bit may be fair, though I don’t relish the idea.

2: Stating that this power ‘marks’ the target would make more sense and as long as it’s marked by the arcane trickster it grants combat advantage to said arcane trickster.

Personally I find Arcane Gambit to be fine as is, but that’s my thought and I simply hope to have provided a decent outline for the Arcane Trickster for use by other players and DM’s.

I agree with pauln6 and encourage for more voices and opinions to be heard! Further input is needed! Outrage, praise, criticism, and maybe even trolling is welcomed!

Trolling is not actually welcomed.
I like the marking idea. The Rakish Swashbuckler gets its unique mark, and the arcane trickster does have a swashbuckler feel. At least, it does after Raz. The point is, between that and the battle priest, it no longer feels weird to see non-defenders get a marking ability.
I do like the paragon path but I always think that when designing a hombrew one you should look to other pre-existing paths to mix and match similar powers.

There are already some paths which allow for additional sneak attack with the expenditure of an action point, so I do not believe that’s out of line.

Yes I think this is balanced.

Wizards are not strikers, and rogues are not controllers. An arcane trickster needs to complement BOTH styles however. It will take play-testing, but I sincerely hope that it does complement strikers and controllers alike.

I agree with the fluff and that playtesting is useful but cross-checking elements with pre-existing paragon paths is also helpful. I'm not familiar with all the paragon paths out there. Is there another paragon path in Martial Power that grants sneak attack damage to another class role? I'm fairly certain that granting full sneak attack to a wizard is going too far but if we have a pre-exisiting path that already does this that is the thing to use as a template.

Alternatively, is there a paragon multiclassing feat that enhances sneak attack for multiclass rogues? If there isn't an example for either, I'd worry even more that the designers think this would be unbalanced.

If you want to do a comparison with the 3e version, they were restricted to sneak attacking with spells between 1-3 times per day so even once/encounter is probably equivalent.

I do not see a reason why a rogue-wizard should swap out their wizard encounter power gained from the Arcane Initiate feat for a rogue at-will.

Yes, the rogue is gaining a cantrip and the wizard is getting an upgrade. Yet, that upgrade becomes more valuable and more versatile than it was before hand. Furthermore, I believe it to be a fair translation of 3.5 version of Ranged Legerdemain. I see this as equally valuable to both rogues and wizards.

I don't really think that a new at-will is terribly overpowering or illogical from a fluff perspective but nevertheless, paragon multi-classers don't get one. I think they get to swap one and they get to keep the encounter power from the feat as well, so that is probably more comparable. On the other hand, Warlocks can gain one by purchasing an awesome paragon feat. I was only trying to propose a limitation to equalise the reduction in power of restricting the number of times you can sneak attack. Plus in 3e, ranged ledgermain was limited to a couple of uses per day so I wouldn't go overboard on the edition comparisions.

In regards to the Arcane Gambit daily power, yes it grants Combat Advantage against a single target for the rest of the encounter. It may be used against a solo monster or it may have been used earlier in the day against that commander that was tipping the fight against your friends. That choice may mean between life or death, victory or defeat, being charcoal bits or the princess’ hubby! That’s what makes it a ‘Gambit’, and I feel it fits the theme of an arcane trickster.

I think Arcane Gambit is fine as it is as long as you don't have use of sneak attack on melee AND spells once per round for the whole encounter. The sneak attack is the majorly unbalancing issue I think.
Perhaps any wizard attack spell, with the exceptions of the at-will basic spells, can only benefit from Sneak Attack once per encounter.

This way, a wizard may benefit from sneak attack for spells that count as basic ranged attacks for them. This may be the optimal solution for us.

On a side note, I didn't play much strictly 3rd edition, I did mostly 3.5, in that you can sneak attack with ray and touch spells to your hearts content.

If one was a Rogue that went into this path, I think that swapping out the wizard encounter power they gained from Arcane Initiate for a Rogue at-will would be a bit of a step backward from their arcane dabbling. That's why I suggest that instead, the power gained from the Arcane Initiate feat would return to being an at-will rather than an encounter.

I personally haven't seen any other path do this, so truthfully there is no standing precendent to the best of my knowledge.