Harvey 2.0: Back in Black

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
He's back. The original 2-Weapon Fighter is back, and badder then ever. Let's see how Harvey and Martial Power blend together.

Level 1 Snapshot
Harvey Donais
Human Fighter Lv. 1
Ability Scores:
STR: 18 (+4)
CON: 13 (+1)
DEX: 14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 8 (-1)
Defenses:
AC: 17
FORT: 17
REF: 13
WILL: 13
Hit Points:
Full: 28
Bloodied: 14
Healing Surge Value: 7
# of Surges/day: 10
Powers:
At-Will: Dual Strike, Footwork Lure, Cleave
Encounter: Funneling Flurry
Daily: Villain's Menace
Utility: None Yet
Feats
Two-Blade Warrior
Two-Weapon Fighting
Details:
Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Heal, Intimidate
Class Features: Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority, Fighter Weapon Talent 1h
Paragon Path Features: None Yet
Epic Destiny Features: None Yet
Items: Longsword, Longsword, Scale Armor

The first thing we can see about Harvey this time around is that the weapons he's wielding will be different. It will be two Longswords at first, but that will change ASAP. As a Defender/Striker, Harvey's job is to protect his allies while bringing down baddies, and 2 Bastard Swords seems the best way to do it. But, I digress.

The second thing we see is the myriad of two-weapon abilities Harvey gets at level 1. Unlike with the PHB, all 3 of Harvey's At-Will abilities will be used. Dual Strike is a given, which allows Harvey to attack with both swords at once. Footwork Lure allows Harvey to reposition enemies when he needs to. And good old Cleave allows Harvey to attack two enemies at once. Pretty sweet, all-in-all.

Harvey's encounter attack, Funneling Flurry, is excellent. With it, he can hit two foes, and slide them around. And right now, its the only power he possesses that allows him to mark two enemies at once. His daily remains Villain's Menace. This is where the "Striker" part remains, as the damage bonus he gets is excellent.

As a human, Harvey gets 2 feats this level. Two-Blade Warrior allows him to wield 2 one-handed weapons at once (no more needing that dinky short sword), and Two-Weapon Fighting is there as a prerequisite, as always. All-in-all, Martial power should have some interesting abilities for Harvey to learn...

Level 2
Pass Forward allows Harvey to get right up next to his next victim without provoking an OA. Solid. He also gets Two-Weapon Defense, for obvious reasons.

Level 3
Harvey learns Parry and Riposte this level, which allows him to hit an enemy who misses him. This makes the enemy grant combat advantage to Harvey's whole team, which just rocks.

Level 4
Harvey's STR and DEX increase, and he also gets the Novice Power feat, which he uses to swap Parry and Riposte for Disruptive Strike. The potential attack stoppage there is just amazing.

Level 5
Rain of Steel is quite an excellent attack. But then again, what autodamage attack isn't?

Level 6
Settling the Score allows Harvey to really strike at one b*****d who really deserves it. He also gets Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword). As I said, as a Defender/Striker, it's a really good weapon for him.

Level 7
Hampering Flurry really hurts, and also slows an enemy as well. It will serve Harvey well.

Level 8
Harvey increases his STR and DEX again, and he also gets Acolyte Power, which he uses to swap out Settling the Score for Boundless Energy. Harvey won't always have the best Endurance checks, and the ability to redo one every 5 minutes could be helpful.

Level 9
Harvey learns Thicket of Blades, which hurts a lot of guys.

Level 10
Shooter's Nemesis is basically Harvey shouting "screw you" at ranged attackers. Extra healing helps! He also gets Adept Power, which he uses to swap Thicket of Blades for Attacks on the Run, which he can use to hit two enemies or one enemy.

Level 11 Snapshot
Harvey Donais
Human Fighter/Ranger Lv. 11
Ability Scores:
STR: 21 (+5)
CON: 14 (+2)
DEX: 17 (+3)
INT: 11 (+0)
WIS: 15 (+2)
CHA: 9 (-1)
Defenses:
AC: 28
FORT: 25
REF: 22
WILL: 20
Hit Points:
Full: 89
Bloodied: 44
Healing Surge Value: 22
# of Surges/day: 11
Powers:
At-Will: Dual Strike, Footwork Lure, Twin Strike
Encounter: Funneling Flurry, Disruptive Strike, Hampering Flurry, Twofold Flinch
Daily: Villain's Menace, Rain of Steel, Attacks on the Run
Utility: Pass Forward, Boundless Energy, Shooter's Nemesis
Feats
Two-Blade Warrior [Human Bonus]
Two-Weapon Fighting
Two-Weapon Defense
Novice Power
Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword)
Acolyte Power
Adept Power
Armor Specialization (Scale)
Details:
Paragon Path Features: At-Will Swap, Lv. 7 Ranger Power
Epic Destiny Features: None Yet
Items: +2 Flaming Bastard Sword, +2 Frost Bastard Sword, +2 Agile Drakescale Armor, +2 Cape of the Mountebank

A note about the items, first off. None of them are really necessary. I like the fire/frost theme, Agile armor makes use of Harvey's higher than usual dexterity, and the Cape of the Mountebank just sounds awesome. So that's why they're there. Clear? Clear.

Like before, Harvey is Paragon multiclassing into Ranger. His choice as to which At-Will to switch out is a little more difficult this time, but in the end, Cleave is swapped out for Twin Strike, because they both serve similar functions, namely hitting two enemies at once. Twin Strike is a little better at that, so that's why it's here. Harvey also learns Twofold Flinch, because screwing with your enemy's mind is just plain fun.

Harvey also gets Armor Specialization (Scale). Extra AC and no speed penalty make this feat a winner every time.

Level 12
Harvey's specialized Ranger training allows him to learn Shed the Mark this level. Harvey marks enemies, not the other way around. He also picks up Daunting Challenge. When I said he marks enemies, I meant it.

Level 13
Harvey loses Funneling Flurry, and picks up Storm of Blows. Dancing around the battlefield, lopping some heads off? Why not?

Level 14
Harvey's STR and WIS increase, and he gets the Marked Scourge feat. This means he'll be raising his WIS for a little bit...

Level 15
Harvey loses Villain's Menace this level, and learns Unyielding Avalance, which is still one of the best stances ever.

Level 16
Harvey learns Regnant Shout, which gives him an attack bonus and defense bonus (due to an earlier) feat against a lot of foes in front of him. He also gets Heavy Blade Opportunity.

Level 17
Harvey loses Disruptive strike this level, and learns Untamed Outburst, which hurts an enemy to death. For real.

Level 18
Harvey's STR and WIS increase yet again, and Harvey learns Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades).

Level 19
Harvey loses Rain of Steel, and he learns Devastation's Wake. Like Rain, it hurts. A lot.

Level 20
Harvey picks up Cruel Cage of Steel as the capstone of his specialized Ranger training, and he also gets the Sideways Defense feat, to make things a little easier for his allies.

Level 21 Snapshot
Harvey Donais
Human Fighter/Ranger/Martial Archetype Lv. 21
Ability Scores:
STR: 24 (+7)
CON: 15 (+2)
DEX: 18 (+4)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 18 (+4)
CHA: 10 (+0)
Defenses:
AC: 38
FORT: 34
REF: 30
WILL: 29
Hit Points:
Full: 150
Bloodied: 75
Healing Surge Value: 37
Powers:
Encounter: Storm of Blows, Untamed Outburst, Hampering Flurry, Twofold Flinch, Two-Weapon Eviscerate
Daily: Unyielding Avalanche, Devastation's Wake, Attacks on the Run, Cruel Cage of Steel
Utility: Pass Forward, Boundless Energy, Shooter's Nemesis, Shed the Mark, Regnant Shout
Feats
Two-Weapon Fighting
Two-Weapon Defense
Novice Power
Acolyte Power
Adept Power
Daunting Challenge
Marked Scourge
Heavy Blade Opportunity
Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades)
Sideways Defense
Heavy Blade Mastery
Details:
Paragon Path Features: At-Will Swap, Lv. 7 Ranger Power, Lv. 10 Ranger Power, Lv. 19 Ranger Power
Epic Destiny Features: Archetype's Edge
Items: +4 Flaming Bastard Sword, +4 Frost Bastard Sword, +4 Agile Wyrmscale Armor, +4 Cape of the Mountebank

The epic destiny for Harvey is the Martial Archetype, which should allow him to demonstrate his prowess fully. The first feature he gets from it is Archetype's Edge, which allows him to learn another Lv. 17 martial encounter power (he gets Two-Weapon Eviscerate, because of the whole weakening thing,), AND allows him to regain martial encounter powers when he strikes a critical hit.

To make sure that that second part happens a lot, Harvey gets the Heavy Blade Mastery feat. That, and extra critical hits are always good.

Level 22
No Surrender is still a king of powers. No dying once per day is just worth it. Harvey also gets Rending Tempest, because it makes killing things easier.

Level 23
Harvey picks up Weaponmaster's Lure to replace Hampering Flurry. High damage and repositioning? Oh yeah.

Level 24
Harvey's STR and WIS increase this level, and he gets the Martial Archetype's Reliable Warrior this level. It probably won't activate too often, but it'll be useful when it does. Harvey also picks up Prime Hunter, which makes the "reliable" thing even less likely to happen.

Level 25
Harvey loses Attacks on the Run this level, and learns Blade Cascade. Could have fit this in earlier, probably, but didn't. Nevertheless, the day-ruining potential of this attack remain.

Level 26
Harvey gets the Martial Archetype's Warrior's Ascent this level, which allows him to learn one level 22 utility power from a martial class, and it also allows him to spend a healing surge when he gets a critical hit with an encounter or daily power. Pretty sweet. He gets Adamant Recovery, which is another "I don't die power." It's not quite as potent as No Surrender, but having two such powers in his arsenal is only a good thing. Harvey also gets Action Surge. Better late than never, right?

Level 27
First things first, Harvey trades out Untamed Outburst for Tap and Counterstrike, because of its "don't-touch-him-or-I-cut-out-your-organs-itude." Then, with his freed-up Novice Power feat, Harvey learns Death Rend, which is probably one of his most powerful attacks. He also loses Storm of Blows.

Level 28
Harvey's STR and WIS increase, and he gets the Martial Mastery feat. Critical hits aren't always a certainty, and sometimes Harvey needs to use Death Rend twice in one turn. It happens.

Level 29
Harvey trades in Unyielding Avalanche for Force the Battle. Dual Strikes and Twin Strikes happening all the time is just too cool.

Level 30 Snapshot
Harvey Donais
Human Fighter/Ranger/Martial Archetype Lv. 21
Ability Scores:
STR: 26 (+8)
CON: 15 (+2)
DEX: 18 (+4)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 20 (+5)
CHA: 10 (+0)
Defenses:
AC: 49
FORT: 42
REF: 37
WILL: 37
Hit Points:
Full: 204
Bloodied: 102
Healing Surge Value: 51
Powers:
Encounter: Death Rend, Tap and Counterstrike, Weaponmaster's Lure, Twofold Flinch, Two-Weapon Eviscerate, Untamed Outburst
Daily: Force the Battle, Devastation's Wake, Blade Cascade, Cruel Cage of Steel
Utility: Pass Forward, Boundless Energy, Shooter's Nemesis, Shed the Mark, Regnant Shout, No Surrender, Adamant Recovery
Feats
Two-Weapon Fighting
Two-Weapon Defense
Novice Power
Acolyte Power
Adept Power
Daunting Challenge
Marked Scourge
Heavy Blade Opportunity
Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades)
Sideways Defense
Heavy Blade Mastery
Rending Tempest
Prime Hunter
Action Surge
Martial Mastery
Triumphant Attack
Details:
Paragon Path Features: At-Will Swap, Lv. 7 Ranger Power, Lv. 10 Ranger Power, Lv. 19 Ranger Power
Epic Destiny Features: Archetype's Edge, Reliable Warrior, Warrior's Ascent, Perfect Warrior
Items: +6 Flaming Bastard Sword, +6 Frost Bastard Sword, +6 Agile Elderscale Armor, +6 Cape of the Mountebank

Harvey is now at the peak of his strength. He gets the Martial Archetype feature Perfect Warrior (accurate description), which allows him to learn another Martial Encounter power (he gets back Untamed Outburst), and additionally gives him free attacks when he gets a critical hit. This probably also goes for attacks he doesn't make on his turn. Oh yeah. Harvey also learns Triumphant Attack. Those critical hits REALLY hurt.

And thus, is Harvey re-imagined for a new generation (or at least, a New Splatbook).
let me be the first to welcome back big bad harv...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Huh... Finished already.
Is there some reason to have both Dual Strike and Twin Strike?

Isn't Twin Strike just better? Have I missed something?
Getting both Dual Strike and Twin Strike its only worth if your considering the Binding Style (arena feat) or Swift Blade Style (arena feat) which improves both at-wills.
Yeah, I would retrain Dual Strike to Cleave at paragon tier (unless you listen to the following)

I know Harvey originally had to paragon multiclass to get 2-weapon powers, can't you take Shock Trooper, which lets you swing d12 bastard swords around? You'd lose Martial Archetype, but you can take Eternal Seeker if you prefer ranger attacks - with ES, Novice, and Initiate Power, you can have all Ranger powers, plus the Shock Trooper ones.
Card Dump!

Keywords
Challenge: When ~ comes into play, all opponents may put a Legendary creature card with the same or smaller converted mana cost as ~ into play without paying its mana cost.
A few reasons as to why I built Harvey as a I did:

Q: Why replace Cleave with Twin Strike?
A: Because they accomplish the same thing: namely, attacking two enemies at a time At-Will. Twin Strike allows Harvey to mark the two targets, and he also have a better chance of hitting at least one of his targets because he's making 2 attacks.

Q: Why not replace Dual Strike, if you're set on Multiclassing?
A: Because Dual Strike works with Force the Battle. Twin Strike doesn't.

Q: Why not use Shock Trooper?
A: Because, first of all, Harvey is and always will be a Fighter/Ranger. That's just how I see him. Second, Bastard Swords are not weapons with the "Offhand" property, so the Shock Trooper damage die increasing feature will not work with them. It's an excellent Paragon Path (I used it in another build of mine), but it's just not for Harvey.
Q: How did Harvey get such a great last name?
Mike Donais. Cryptozoic R&D

That one caught me COMPLETELY off guard. for you, good sir.

Nice build, L_V.

It came to me in a vision. Or perhaps a dream. Maybe it was a drunken stupor. All I know is that... something happened, and I thought "Donais. That sounds pretty awesome." And the rest... is history.
To the return of Harvey: !
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
Why don't you take the amazing minor action attack power from ranger in MP? You have excellent at-wills, and with all the number and recharging of encounter powers you get from Martial Archetype it could be a good route...
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
Why don't you take the amazing minor action attack power from ranger in MP? You have excellent at-wills, and with all the number and recharging of encounter powers you get from Martial Archetype it could be a good route...

Which power would that be?
Just a quick question, which I'm afraid is a newbie one since I'm still learning my way around DnD, don't you need to pick up Warrior of the Wild in order to pick up the Novice power etc?

Or is that not necessary?
Just a quick question, which I'm afraid is a newbie one since I'm still learning my way around DnD, don't you need to pick up Warrior of the Wild in order to pick up the Novice power etc?

Or is that not necessary?

In the Martial Power supplement, there was a new multiclass feat introduced called Two-Blade Warrior. This feat allows a PC to dual wield like a Ranger can, and it also qualifies them for the whole multiclassing shebang.

It's an option to take instead of Warrior of the Wild.
I've been fond of Harvey since you first posted the original build. He's actually the example I point to when people complain about 4e multiclassing, and actually convinced a former 4e hater to give it a go. Thanks for updating him!
That looks like a darn good build. Too bad I'm the primary defender (i.e. Chaladin) in the party, since the dragonborn fighter is a damage-build and not a tank-build.
Sign In to post comments