Cloak of Resistance vs. Ironskin Belt

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloak of Resistance

This crimson-hemmed cloak can be activated to provide minor resistance to all attacks.

Level: 2
Price: 520 gp
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will

Power (Daily): Minor Action. Gain resist 5 to all damage until the start of your next turn.

Against...

Ironskin Belt

The first of these belts of chain links was forged by a dwarf weaponsmith enslaved by fire giants. It can be activated to provide protection against weapon attacks.

Level: 5
Price: 1000 gp
Item Slot: Waist

Power (Daily): Minor Action. Gain resist 5 to all weapon damage until the end of your next turn.

Is there any reason to choose the belt instead of the cloak? The former doesn't give a bonus to defenses and allow you to gain resistance to weapon damage, while the latter gives you +1 to non-AC defenses and grants a defense power useful against all damage. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I noticed the "until the start" vs. "until the end" feature, but is it really worth 3 levels and no defense bonus?
Well why not wear both since they occupy different slots. Basically you are expected to keep a neck item at all times since those are the big three items (along weapons and armor) while everything else can come and go.

If you really need to choose one then go for the neck since its much better to have a neck item than a belt.
Yea wearing both would give 3 rounds of no damage (1 round weapons only) but if your average fight last only 5 rounds thats pretty good!
I agree you should wear both if you can, but i have one question

Yea wearing both would give 3 rounds of no damage (1 round weapons only) but if your average fight last only 5 rounds thats pretty good!

If I understand the rules Damage "Resistance" does not stack and they only provide 5 reduction, what monsters at lvl 2-8 (average range for these items) do only 5 points of damage?

but all in all I like the cloak better, +to defenses and resistance to all damage with a shorter time is better, because a lot of monster don't have weapons, making the belt not as good, even though it has a longer effect time.
I agree you should wear both if you can, but i have one question

If I understand the rules Damage "Resistance" does not stack and they only provide 5 reduction, what monsters at lvl 2-8 (average range for these items) do only 5 points of damage?

but all in all I like the cloak better, +to defenses and resistance to all damage with a shorter time is better, because a lot of monster don't have weapons, making the belt not as good, even though it has a longer effect time.

yea i was over zealous in my commenting. It will reduce about half on average i would guess. But now Im gonna search for reduce all damage items...
reduction can be fun, Bracers of Protection, Shield of Protection are both fun arm slots. You and one adjacent on the shield, and its 10 off all damage.

The cloak of the walking wounded is probably better all out than actually having the resistance, since its return is far greater than any resistance you could ask for, especially if you are a dorf.

All resistance items is nice, but you have to remember that you have a limited use of dailies, so its gonna be lvl 11 before you can really use 2 in combat to extend those rounds of invulnerability...

Even 5 invulnerable is really nice at the lower lvls, though many things don't actually hit for 5, or even lower, minions hit around there, and don't crit, there is the aspect that 5 off every surrounding attack is awesome you simply can't beat it if you are a class with a low AC (warlock) and get trapped, or are a defender walking into a room full of Xbow minions with held actions :D
Another advantage of the belt is that it won't be a question of which to keep when you find a lvl 6 Amulet next level.
Really unless you are in a party the tends to hit atlest 1 milestone before a rest. At Heroic level you can only 1 magic item daily in a day unless you hit a mile stone so it's kind of moot if you wear both at the same time. Really unless you you find a better neck slot that has resistance i'd go with just haveing the cape.