Spellstorm Gish Revisited

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
A while ago, I posted a build for a Genasi Fighter/Wizard who wielded a staff that was based around a Lightning Theme. Some people responded, which was good, but I had to beg a bit to get some responses. I later posted a Two-Weapon Fighter Build that generated a lot more responses, and I think that was partly because of the style I did it in. So, again ladies and gentlemen, I give you Gisim Arcanous, the Spellstorm Champion!

Level 1 Snapshot
Gisim Arcanous
Genasi Fighter/Wizard Lv. 1
Ability Scores:
STR: 18 (+4)
CON: 13 (+1)
DEX: 13 (+1)
INT: 16 (+3)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)
Defenses:
AC: 17
FORT: 17
REF: 13
WILL: 11
Resist 5 Lightning
Hit Points:
Full: 28
Bloodied: 14
Healing Surge Value: 7
# of Surges/day: 10
Powers:
At-Will: Cleave, Reaping Strike
Encounter: Steel Serpent Strike, Thunderwave, Promise of Storm
Daily: Villain's Menace
Feats
Arcane Initiate
Details:
Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Heal, Arcana
Class Features: Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority, Fighter Weapon Talent (2H)
Items: Quarterstaff, Scale Armor

Alright, here's Gisim at first level. I've taken some steps to help define how he'll develop. The biggest one of course, is the Arcane Initiate Feat, which gives him training in Arcana and a Wizard power (we'll discuss that in a little bit). His preferred weapon is a quarterstaff, since they can be used as both melee weapons and magical implements.

Gisim's main powers will be Cleave for when he's adjacent to a few enemies, and Reaping Strike for when he's confronting just one. His Arcane Initiate Power is Thunderwave, which is an excellent way to hit several enemies at once and mix up the battlefield a bit, and since it's a close blast power, he can unleash it in an enemy's face. Thunderwave also gels well with his Stormsoul Genasi Racial Power Promise of Storm, which ups the damage of all powers that have the Lightning and Thunder keywords. It's a minor action to use, which is good, since Gisim doesn't have a lot of abilities that require a minor action. His final encounter power is Steel Serpent Strike, which hurts and slows enemies, which is good. His daily power is Villain's Menace, which might be the best Lv. 1 Fighter Daily, although Comeback Strike is pretty tempting too.

Level 2
Gisim gets a Utility Power at this level, which is going to be Boundless Endurance. Regeneration is always nice. Gisim also gets another feat, which he'll use to get Weapon Focus (Staves), which is pretty self-explanatory.

Level 3
Gisim gets an Encounter Attack power here, which is going to be Sweeping Blow, which is another multi-target attack power. Don't get too attached to it though.

Level 4
Level 4 nets Gisim some ability score upgrades. Bring STR and DEX up. The DEX boost is to help Gisim qualify for some feats at Paragon Tier. Gisim also gets another feat, which is going to be Novice Power. Trade in Sweeping Blow, and receive the Wizard Power Shock Sphere. This gives Gisim the option to hit enemies that are out of the reach of his quarterstaff, and is a great way to open up a battle.

Level 5
Time for Gisim's 2nd Daily Attack Power. They all look good, but in the end, Gisim learns Crack the Shell, which deals some solid damage, and inflicts ongoing damage and an AC penalty. Not bad!

Level 6
Gisim gets another Utility Power at this level. Unbreakable is a good choice, and Gisim takes it. Gisim also gets another feat, which is Raging Storm, which provides a damage bonus to powers with the Thunder and Lightning Keyword.

Level 7
Gisim gets another encounter power at this level. Come and Get it works like a charm, and can be flavored as:
Strong storm winds forced the enemy towards the grinning Genasi, who struck them all with a sweep of his staff.

Level 8
Gisim gets another ability boost. Increase STR and CON this time, to for the upped melee hits and for feat qualification. Speaking of feats, Gisim gets Toughness at this level, because who ever said more HP is bad thing is obviously lying.

Level 9
Gisim gets another daily power at this level. It's a toss-up between Thicket of Blades and Victorious Surge. Gisim goes with Victorious Surge in this case, because he already has a lot of area attacks and when he needs that healing, he needs it, but either way works fine.

Level 10
Gisim gets another utility power at this point. But none of the Fighter Utilities at this level are very appetizing at all, so this makes Acolyte Power an easy feat choice. Of all the Lv. 10 Wizard Spells, Blur seems the most useful to a creature of melee like Gisim.

Level 11 Snapshot
Gisim Arcanous
Genasi Fighter/Wizard/Spellstorm Mage Lv.11
Ability Scores:
STR: 21 (+5)
CON: 15 (+2)
DEX: 15 (+2)
INT: 17 (+3)
WIS: 13 (+1)
CHA: 9 (-1)
Defenses: (Assuming level-appropriate armor)
AC: 25
FORT: 24
REF: 21
WILL: 19
Resist 10 Lightning
Hit Points:
Full: 100
Bloodied: 50
Healing Surge Value: 25
# of Surges/day: 11
Powers:
Encounter: Steel Serpent Strike, Come and Get it, Shock Sphere, Storm Cage, Thunderwave, Promise of Storm
Daily: Villain's Menace, Crack the Shell, Victorious Surge
Utility: Boundless Endurance, Unbreakable, Blur
Feats
Arcane Initiate
Weapon Focus (Staves)
Novice Power
Raging Storm
Toughness
Acolyte Power
Armor Specialization (Hide)
Details:
Class Features: Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority, Fighter Weapon Talent (2H)
Paragon Path Features: Extra Damage Acton, Storm Spell
Items: +3 Quarterstaff, +3 Hide Armor, +3 Amulet of Protection

Like with Harvey, I'm not going to assume any specific enchantments on Gisim's weapons, so I'll just be listing them as level-appropriate mundane enchantments. At Lv. 11, Gisim reaches Paragon Tier, and gets big boost in power. His biggest change is going into the Spellstorm Mage Paragon Path, keeping with the Lightning and Thunder Theme. At level 11, the Path grants Extra Damage Action, which allows Gisim to add 1/2 his level in damage to his attacks, both martial and magical, when he spends an action point, and Storm Spell, which allows him to reuse spent arcane spells once per day.

He also gets another feat, which is going to be Armor Specialization (Hide), which is why Gisim increased his CON before. Soon, his AC in Hide Armor will exceed that of his armor in scale, so this is helps. As for powers, Gisim's Paragon Path nets him the excellent Storm Cage power, which does exactly what the name implies. This is an excellent opening attack.

Level 12
As a Spellstorm Mage, Gisim gets the Sudden Storm Utility Power, which allows him to create a area of difficult terrain once per day. I don't see Gisim using this power too much, but it's there if he needs it. Gisim also gets a feat at this level: all his Thunder powers make Solid Sound an excellent feat choice that will net him some extra defense several times throughout a battle.

Level 13
Gisim gets another encounter attack at this level, but he'll have to replace another power to get it. Lose Shock Sphere, which will free up the Novice Power feat. Retrain the feat to gain Thunderlance, which is basically a souped-up Thunderwave. Now Gisim has one more way to trigger Solid Sound, and another close burst attack. Win/win.

Level 14
Gisim gets another ability score enhancement. This time, increase STR and INT. Gisim will be increasing these two abilities for the rest of his career. Gisim also gains a feat, which he'll use on Arcane Reach. Now Gisim's Thunderwave and Thunderlance powers have more range than they used to.

Level 15
Gisim gets a new Daily Attack power at this level. Gisim loses Villain's Menace, and gets Unyielding Avalanche, which is one hell of a fighting stance. Needless to say, it's made of WIN.

Level 16
At 16th level, the Spellstorm Mage Paragon Path grants Gisim the Storm Fury feature, which deals 6 Lightning Damage to all enemies within 10 squares when Gisim is first bloodied. It ain't much, but it's better than nothing. Gisim also gets another Utility Power, and there's really no choice. Iron Warrior is just too awesome to pass up. Gisim also gets a feat at this level, which is going to be Resounding Thunder, which increases the size of Gisim's Thunderwave and Thunderlance spells.

Level 17
Gisim gets another encounter power at this level. He loses the ability to perform Steel Serpent Strike, but is now able to use Vorpal Tornado, which is a pretty useful close burst power.

Level 18
Gisim ups STR and INT at 18th level, and gets another feat. Improved Initiative will do nicely.

Level 19
Gisim gets another Daily attack power. He loses Crack the Shell, and gets Devastations Wake, which is a sense, makes Gisim a living storm for a short while.

Level 20
The final ability that the Spellstorm Mage Paragon Path grants Gisim is the Maelstrom of Chaos Spell, which basically allows Gisim to reposition all enemies on the battlefield anywhere you want. It also activates Solid Sound, too. Best part? It leaves his allies alone. All-in-all, an excellent capstone to the Paragon Path. He also gets a feat, which he uses on Iron Will, to shore up his shoddy WILL defense.

Level 21 Snapshot
Gisim Arcanous
Genasi Fighter/Wizard/Spellstorm Mage/Demigod Lv. 21
Ability Scores:
STR: 26 (+8)
CON: 16 (+3)
DEX: 16 (+3)
INT: 22 (+6)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 10 (+0)
Defenses: (Assuming Level-Appropriate Armor)
AC: 35
FORT: 36
REF: 31
WILL: 29
Hit Points:
Full: 166
Bloodied: 83
Healing Surge Value: 41
# of Surges/day: 12
Resist 15 Lightning
Powers:
Encounter: Come and Get it, Vorpal Tornado, Thunderlance, Storm Cage, Thunderwave, Promise of Storm
Daily: Victorious Surge, Unyielding Avalanche, Devastation's Wake, Maelstrom of Chaos
Utility: Boundless Endurance, Unbreakable, Blur, Sudden Storm, Iron Warrior
Feats
Arcane Initiate
Weapon Focus (Staves)
Novice Power
Raging Storm
Toughness
Acolyte Power
Solid Sound
Arcane Reach
Resounding Thunder
Improved Initiative
Iron Will
Epic Resurgence
Details:
Paragon Path Features: Extra Damage Action, Storm Spell, Storm Fury
Epic Destiny Features: Divine Spark
Items: +5 Quarterstaff, +5 Darkhide Armor, +5 Amulet of Protection

At level 21, Gisim is now an epic adventurer. His final, epic destiny will be to count himself among the divine as a Demigod. An immediate benefit of this is that he gets a +2 increase to his STR and INT, very handy indeed! This is on top of the +1 boost to all abilities Gisim gets at this level. Gisim also gets one more feat, which will be Epic Resurgence this time. This allows him to gain encounter powers back when he strikes a critical hit. Not at its most effective, since Gisim will never get Bludgeon Mastery, but it will work for now.

Level 22
Gisim gets another Utility Power at this level, and No Surrender just rocks out loud. This allows you to literally come back from the dead once per day. He also gets a feat, which will be used on Triumphant Attack. When Gisim strikes that critical, the enemy's going to feel it.

Level 23
Gisim gets another encounter attack power. Trade in Thunderlance: it's served Gisim well, but it's time for an upgrade. Thunderclap is Gisim's encounter spell now. It doesn't effect a wide area like Thunderlance did, but it still activates solid sound, and it stuns. Perfect for an Elite or Solo.

Level 24
Gisim increases his STR and INT yet again, and he also gets Divine Recovery because he is a Demigod. Now he can cheat death twice a day. And on top of that, Gisim also gets another feat; Spell Accuracy allows Gisim to exclude two of his allies from an attack by his Thunderwave and Storm Cage spells should they be in their path.

Level 25
Gisim gets another Daily Power at this level. He loses Victorious Surge. Gisim will now use the miracle of retraining. He temporarily loses his Iron Will feat, and gains Adept Power. This allows Gisim to learn the awe-inspiring Elemental Maw spell, a storm of absolute destruction. Definitely a keeper.

Level 26
At level 26, Gisim gets Divine Regeneration because he's a Demigod. 'Nuff said. Oh, and he gets Iron Will back, too.

Level 27
Gisim gets one more encounter attack power at this level. He loses Come and Get it, and gets Adamantine Strike. He has plenty of powers that attack multiple targets, so now Gisim gets something for use on an elite or solo. Solid damage, and a penalty to AC. Not bad.

Level 28
Gisim gets +1 to STR and INT one last time, and another feat, which is Lightning Reflexes this time around. Always a solid choice.

Level 29
Gisim gets one last Fighter Daily power. He loses the Unyielding Avalanche stance, and gains Force the Battle, another stance that pumps up Gisim's martial powers and makes the very act of standing next to him an exercise in suicide.

Level 30 Snapshot
Gisim Arcanous
Genasi Fighter/Wizard/Spellstorm Mage/Demigod Lv. 30
Ability Scores:
STR: 28 (+9)
CON: 16 (+3)
DEX: 16 (+3)
INT: 24 (+7)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 10 (+0)
Defenses:
AC: 43
FORT: 44
REF: 40
WILL: 35
Resist 15 Lightning
Hit Points:
Full: 220
Bloodied: 110
Healing Surge Value: 55
# of Surges/day: 12
Powers:
Encounter: Vorpal Tornado, Adamantine Strike, Thunderclap, Storm Cage, Thunderwave, Promise of Storm
Daily: Devastation's Wake, Force the Battle, Elemental Maw, Maelstrom of Chaos
Utility: Boundless Endurance, Unbreakable, Blur, Sudden Storm, Iron Warrior, No Surrender, Divine Regeneration
Feats
Arcane Initiate
Weapon Focus (Staves)
Novice Power
Raging Storm
Toughness
Acolyte Power
Solid Sound
Arcane Reach
Resounding Thunder
Improved Initiative
Adept Power
Triumphant Attack
Spell Accuracy
Iron Will
Lightning Reflexes
Great Fortitude
Blind-Fight
Details:
Paragon Path Features: Extra Damage Action, Storm Spell, Storm Fury
Epic Destiny Features: Divine Spark, Divine Recovery, Divine Miracle
Items: +6 Quarterstaff, +6 Elderhide Armor, +6 Amulet of Protection

Gisim's final level allows him to use the Demigod's Divine Miracle, which allows him to use encounter powers many times in a battle. Because of this, he retrains Epic Resurgence, and takes Great Fortitude and Blind Fight as his final two feats.

Many thanks to lordduskblade, who helped me improve Gisim. So, thoughts?

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

Please tell me his name is pronounced with a G sound like in the name Greg, & not like it sounds in the name Gerald. :P

Other than that little bit of confusion, I like it.
Yeah, "Guh" G. What's confusing? I'm only asking so I can modify the build so that there's less confusion all-around.

The confusion he had was with the pronounciation, which, in the second case is nothing I'd like to be called. Nor would your character, it would seem to me.
Just peeking at your build. What's your game?

If you want to be a defender, I wouldn't suggest Shock Sphere. Yes, it is ranged, but if you are in melee you are opening yourself to the OAs that you want to be dealing.

That same level is Color Spray, Close Blast 5. As a defender that marks (and controls) a heck of a lot of threats and is also a melee power.

Just sayin'. I can't discern if the build wants to be a subpar wizard or a defender with arcane.
Just peeking at your build. What's your game?

If you want to be a defender, I wouldn't suggest Shock Sphere. Yes, it is ranged, but if you are in melee you are opening yourself to the OAs that you want to be dealing.

That same level is Color Spray, Close Blast 5. As a defender that marks (and controls) a heck of a lot of threats and is also a melee power.

Just sayin'. I can't discern if the build wants to be a subpar wizard or a defender with arcane.

It's a good power, but I'm trying to stick with a Thunder-and-Lightning Theme. This isn't CharOp, so I'm not trying to make the most powerful guy ever here, just what I think is a rather unique take on a Gish build.

I like the build. It has more flavor than most I see on the forums.
As a wizard can not use a "Quarterstaff" for his implement bonus I would suggest him wielding a "Staff" that can still act as a "Quarterstaff" for his melee fighting.

Just a thought, I know it's picky, but it's been a fairly large discussion as of recently.

A Staff of Ruin would work very nicely to enhance his damage in melee and in spell damage. As Staff effects do effect all attacks.
The only problem I can see is that the Spellstorm Mage Paragon Path uses Wisdom as a secondary stat. At level 30, you only have a +2 wisdom mod which makes the chances of getting a daily attack power back slim to none.

I'd also consider using a swordmage instead of fighter/wizard with the new Class Acts Swordmage articlefrom dragon magazine you can make sure all your powers are lightning/thunder based.