2 New Races (P.E.A.C.H.) WoW Races Feedback Wanted Please

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Azerothian Orc
Based on World of Warcraft Orcs
Average Height: 6'0''-6'5''
Average Weight: 200-230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution or +2 Wisdom. 
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 Squares
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Goblin
Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficient with the Greataxe.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Endurance 

Bloodfury: You can use Bloodfury as an ecounter power.
Bloodfury Azerothian Orc Racial Power
When the going gets rough, the rough get going.
Encounter * Minor Action
Personal
Special: You must be bloodied to use this power.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +1d6 or to Damage rolls.
This damage increases to +2d6 at level 11.
This damage increases to +3d6 at level 21.

Azerothian Troll
Based on World of Warcraft Trolls
Average Height: 6'4''-7'2''
Average Weight: 170-210 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom or +2 Strength.
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 Squares
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Goblin
Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with light thrown weapons.
Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature

Beserk: You can use Beserk as an ecounter power.
Beserk Azerothian - Troll Racial Power
Who j00 wan me keel?

Encounter * Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, or until rendered unconscious, you gain a +2 bonus to damage, in addition for as long as you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st level).
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

+1 to attack with a type of weapon is amazignly overpowered. I'd leave it with free proficiency.

The damage bonus from the orc ability should scale with level, instead of being static.

The troll power is also way too powerful. The regeneration shouldn't function above bloodied.
*Casts protection from fire (WoWh8ers)*
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Ok...I definitely agree these two need work. No bonuses to hit or damage through weap. prof. No other race yet in 4e has such a thing, so no go there.

I suggest for the orcs, a racial proficiency with either the battleaxe or greataxe.

For the trolls, a racial proficiency with handaxes, and either throwing hammers or shortbows.

Now, as for their racial powers, this needs some big work.

For orcs...

Bloodfury Azerothian Orc Racial Power
When the going gets rough, I get tough.
Encounter
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until rendered
unconscious, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls and speed.
(Maybe instead +4 bonus to damage, instead of the extra speed?)

For trolls...

Berserk Azerothian Troll Racial Power
Who I be keelin' mon?
Encounter ✦ Healing
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until rendered
unconscious, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. In addition,
for as long as you are bloodied, you gain regeneration
2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st
level).

They're somewhat similar, but the only sustained racial powers I can find require you to be bloodied to initiate them. As for what the troll power did, it was...as listed...a more powerful version of the Longtooth Shifter power. So, I just put the Longtooth Shifting power there. For the orc power, there's no real precedent, so I just adapted it again from the Longtooth power.

I can't imagine anyone on these boards actually agreeing with me about the changes, but those are my suggestions.
LevelSync - Final Fantasy XI's boundless fountain of purest awesome from which all win flows eternally. Click to view my Personality Profile page

whatcolor_isblue.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Generally, encounter powers shouldn't have a duration "until the end of the encounter". That just means that they will always be used the second the character gets bloodied, and the benefits will last for the whole encounter.

In terms of the orc, the healing debuff may be fine for WoW, but it could really screw over a D&D character, especially in a long combat, which isn't a lot of fun. Remove the +1 bonus to attack rolls. That's too good.
Generally, encounter powers shouldn't have a duration "until the end of the encounter". That just means that they will always be used the second the character gets bloodied, and the benefits will last for the whole encounter.

In terms of the orc, the healing debuff may be fine for WoW, but it could really screw over a D&D character, especially in a long combat, which isn't a lot of fun. Remove the +1 bonus to attack rolls. That's too good.

Um...those are ripped (and tweaked) from the two Shifter race blocks in the back of the MM... So it's already established precedent that playable races can have racial powers with durations.
LevelSync - Final Fantasy XI's boundless fountain of purest awesome from which all win flows eternally. Click to view my Personality Profile page

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Replace the bonuses with weapons to racial proficiency with all axes for orcs, and spears and shuriken for the trolls. I can't think of any race off the top of my head that gets a superior weapon proficiency for free, but I really don't think that's a deal breaker.

The encounter powers are way broken. A power with a strong bonus that's balanced by a strong penalty just begs for situational abuse, and the troll regeneration needs to be modified to prevent its use as a full heal over time.

Switch the nature skill bonus from orcs to trolls - there's nothing in the WoW lore to support them having it, while the trolls are possibly Azeroth's oldest indigenous species. They seem more suited to wilderness lore than the orcs, who aside from murdering the demigod of nature are the world's most agressive deforesters.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Sorry I'm new to 4.0 like the rest of us.

I basically went to wikipedia, copied the stats of each race, and then i put them in DnD format.

Thanks for the feedback I'll make said changes.

Well, the Orcs get a command bonus with pets, which I translated to handle animal checks.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

Endurance/Intimidate seems like a better combination for the orcs.

Why do you have them speaking Giant by default?
Giant I think I got from the monster manual. Endurance maybe, but again I got the bonus to nature from their command ability which gives their pets a bonus +1% damage in WoW.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Apparently my first post got ignored...

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Switch the nature skill bonus from orcs to trolls - there's nothing in the WoW lore to support them having it, while the trolls are possibly Azeroth's oldest indigenous species. They seem more suited to wilderness lore than the orcs, who aside from murdering the demigod of nature are the world's most agressive deforesters.

Actually, if you read the lore of warcraft orcs, they were a peaceful SHAMANISTIC race, who worshiped the ELEMENTS. Infact, in order to gain shamanistic powers, they have to make pacts with elementals of all types, fire, water, earth, air, and an as of yet, unrevealed new elemental type.

Anyhoo, after the orcs got corrupted, and then uncorrupted again, they started practice of shamanism again. This is enforced by the fact that, orcs can play shaman in wow, so the knowledge nature wouldn't be that bad.

However, you are right in that, as of current lore, orcs and goblins are ripping ashenvale apart with machines.

Anyhoo, as far as bloodfury goes, why not just make it this.

Azerothian Orc Racial Power
You temporarely fuel yourself with the corrupted rage of Mannoroth, the pitlord.
Encounter * Minor Action
Personal
Special: Can only be used when bloodied.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to a single melee attack per round. Also, all healing effects cast upon you are reduced by 50% until power ends.

This ability scales to 2d6 on melee hit at lv 11, and 3d6 at lv 21. The reduced healing remains at 50 percent.

This way, the power can't be abused by max hit point characters who won't notice the reduced healing penalty, and the damage scales with level.

Thoughts?

Edit: If your base class is a physical damage class, the bonus is to melee and ranged attacks, if your base class is a caster, the bonus applies to spells and spell like effects.

That's how the updated bloodfury works in wow, to make it good for orcs of any class.
Apparently my first post got ignored...

My bad, should've looked at the OP update...sorry.

Actually, if you read the lore of warcraft orcs, they were a peaceful SHAMANISTIC race, who worshiped the ELEMENTS. Infact, in order to gain shamanistic powers, they have to make pacts with elementals of all types, fire, water, earth, air, and an as of yet, unrevealed new elemental type.

Anyhoo, after the orcs got corrupted, and then uncorrupted again, they started practice of shamanism again. This is enforced by the fact that, orcs can play shaman in wow, so the knowledge nature wouldn't be that bad.

However, you are right in that, as of current lore, orcs and goblins are ripping ashenvale apart with machines.

Anyhoo, as far as bloodfury goes, why not just make it this.

Azerothian Orc Racial Power
You temporarely fuel yourself with the corrupted rage of Mannoroth, the pitlord.
Encounter * Minor Action
Personal
Special: Can only be used when bloodied.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to a single melee attack per round. Also, all healing effects cast upon you are reduced by 50% until power ends.

This ability scales to 2d6 on melee hit at lv 11, and 3d6 at lv 21. The reduced healing remains at 50 percent.

This way, the power can't be abused by max hit point characters who won't notice the reduced healing penalty, and the damage scales with level.

Thoughts?

The only time 1/2 ever applies in 4e is when referring to level, bloodied hp, or base healing surge value. Percents are never used as stats in 4e. Perhaps healing surge values for the character could be reduced to equal with level? That's kind of off-the-wall...but I can't think of much...that 50% thing is just way too 3.5 to translate at all correctly.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
My bad, should've looked at the OP update...sorry.

The only time 1/2 ever applies in 4e is when referring to level, bloodied hp, or base healing surge value. Percents are never used as stats in 4e. Perhaps healing surge values for the character could be reduced to equal with level? That's kind of off-the-wall...but I can't think of much...that 50% thing is just way too 3.5 to translate at all correctly.

Whenever he get's hit with ANY healing effect, just cut the total dice roll in half, rounded down if uneven number, and that's that. How's that hard?

And/Or what you said, you would also just cut his healing surge value in half for the duration of the spell.
Check this out and my comments on it for the troll. This one is both more balanced and closer to the WoW Troll

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
+1 to attack with a type of weapon is amazignly overpowered. I'd leave it with free proficiency. The damage bonus from the orc ability should scale with level, instead of being static. The troll power is also way too powerful. The regeneration shouldn't function above bloodied.

Axe profiency now means that you have profiency with all superior weapons as well. ._.

IMO THAT'S OP.
Yo, any ideas on updating these guys? Maybe errataing their racials a bit or something?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Take off the weapon prof abilities they take up design space that could be used for abilities the character might actually want. With a few exceptions just about every class is already proficient with the non superior weapons it'd ever care about.

Also consider posting in either the races or homebrew thread were the race experts tend to be.