A strange thing about the banshrae

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Banshrae use blowguns.

Banshare have no mouth.

I don't even want to think what that does imply.
The impression I get is that what looks like a chin is actually the tip of some kind of snout, and that the actual mouth is just underneath there. Of course, that would mean the banshrae has to tip his head way back when he uses his blowgun, and would be staring up at the sky rather than his target.

It does say that banshrae can't sing, but that that could be because they have insect-like mouths rather than no mouths at all. But if they have insect-like mouths, then how does the... the blowgun... how the... gah, I just broke my brain.
They use one of these:

IMAGE(http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/23000066/images/8/spyderelectramega2008new.JPG)
My theory is that Banshraes have no lips and their mouths are barely visible slits on their faces.
Can't be. Banshrae also cannot play wind instruments (pipes, flutes, etc.), so giving them a mouth that they can blow air out of (at relatively high force) can't be right.

I noticed this right away, and I just made their blowguns fire themselves (like a little grenade-launcher). Solves the "what?" factor and adds a bit of flair to them.
Card Dump!

Keywords
Challenge: When ~ comes into play, all opponents may put a Legendary creature card with the same or smaller converted mana cost as ~ into play without paying its mana cost.
I think the OPs initial assumption is correct.
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

They might shove it in their...ears? Eyes? Tiny slit in their mouth?
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

first of all I have to say... I'm with the guy with the gun (dartgun) idea:P ...
second is that having no mouth, breathing would be a problem, and eating soooo I think I have a theory for everything!......
They use there telepethy/brain power to fire the darts, they breath through their skin like some insects do, and they taste with their feet like flies... still havent thought of how they eat what they taste though
That makes the most sense to me.

The impression I get is that what looks like a chin is actually the tip of some kind of snout, and that the actual mouth is just underneath there. Of course, that would mean the banshrae has to tip his head way back when he uses his blowgun, and would be staring up at the sky rather than his target.

I just assume no mouth. They are weird magical fey creatures. They defy common sense and physics.
i figure that they have little rubber squeezy things that create pressure like with Sphygmomanometers

or more popularly
magic
My first thought was the improper trumpeteers from some Monty Python movie. I won't get into details.

Being fey, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have mouths, slept in forgotten corners for sustenance, and summoned little gust sprites to operate their blowguns.
did any one see my last post
[snip] and summoned little gust sprites to operate their blowguns.

Oo! That's my favourite suggestion yet!
smallbanner.jpg
first of all I have to say... I'm with the guy with the gun (dartgun) idea:P ...
second is that having no mouth, breathing would be a problem, and eating soooo I think I have a theory for everything!......
They use there telepethy/brain power to fire the darts, they breath through their skin like some insects do, and they taste with their feet like flies... still havent thought of how they eat what they taste though

In addition they could secrete some sort of digestive acid from either feet or fingers or armpits...and absorb the gushy jucies through the same or a differnt part of the skin....ok think octopi (gushifing the food) crossed with frog (absorb liquid through skin) and you are getting close.
And tune in next week for our experts discussing "What the hell does the dragon do with the virgin?!?"...

Sorry, but this discussion seems to be a bit... let's say... unnecessary...
I'm with crystix (and ZakArntson) in this: Banshrae use magic to fire their blowguns. "Problem" solved.
What is even stranger is that someone at WotC designed this monster and MUST have put some thought into that. They knew they were designing stats for a monster with no mouth-- there was no secret here. And blowguns are NOT regularly used items-- very few monsters have them.

There just isn't any way one that a weapon entirely dependant upon the mouth was accidentally given to the only humanoid with no mouth. Either the designer had some picture in his/her mind how this worked or they were given blowguns as a cruel and twisted joke, just to throw in a complete paradox that the DM could not possibly describe.

If you can't ask the person who wrote 'blowgun' there and you can't figure it out-- I suggest just giving them a different weapon with the same stats.

If you can't ask the person who wrote 'blowgun' there and you can't figure it out-- I suggest just giving them a different weapon with the same stats.

Yes, I agree completely! Let's take all the fun out of the monster to put some semblance of realism in this fantasy game of ours.
smallbanner.jpg
The Banshrae lack a mouth for speech, but they probably have some other orifice capable of doing the same (my guess is that they have to breath). On the other hand they possess telepathy which indicates psionic powers, and with the amount of "magical" psionic races I wouldn't be suprised.
It's a "Blowgun Dart" so maybe they throw it?

Nobody said they were actually using a blowgun.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Yes, I agree completely! Let's take all the fun out of the monster to put some semblance of realism in this fantasy game of ours.

Well, if the entirity of your fun in D&D comes from monsters using weapons that their specific monsterous qualities prevent them from being able to use... I have to say you are WAY too focused on that particular detail.

I'm envisioning a "blowgun" with a plus-shaped crosspiece in one end to keep the dart from falling out. Then the wielder holds it at that end, and swings it like a melee weapon, wherein the dart flies out of the other end at the target.

"The creature stands well away from you, but swings his odd little stick at you as if right at your side. Oddly enough, you feel a thump, and pain blossoms in your shoulder..."
Well, if the entirity of your fun in D&D comes from monsters using weapons that their specific monsterous qualities prevent them from being able to use... I have to say you are WAY too focused on that particular detail.

No I just write it off as a creature that very essence is made of magic and doesn't follow our views of reality or biology.
No I just write it off as a creature that very essence is made of magic and doesn't follow our views of reality or biology.

That's a crap reply and you know it.
It isn't a matter of expecting it to follow reality or biology. We have accepted that somehow it is a human-like creature that simply doesn't have a mouth preventing it from breathing, speaking, etc. This is all perfectly okay.
The problem is that what is written on the paper SPECIFICALLY ignores that the rule of reality and biology we have accepted being broken for this monster is in fact broken.

Now, whether something breaks biological rules or not, we should still be able to VISUALIZE what the game is saying is going on. What exactly does a creature with no mouth using a blowgun look like?
Furthermore, why is it a blowgun? Just about any other weapon would be more supportive of accepting that biology is being broken here and the monster has no mouth.
It is like they make a big deal about the creature having no mouth just to change it all with the typing of one word which conveys "ha-ha-ha!! Just kidding, of COURSE they have mouths!"

The entry does not specifically state that they have no mouth, just that they have no way to sing or use wind instruments. I can't play a wind instrument, my lungs can't handle it. Perhaps the Banshrae's lungs cannot handle the wind instruments, a blowgun however requires only a short burst of breath, which is still possible when it comes to people who have weak lungs. As far as the singing aspect, it states they communicate telepathically, that doesn't mean though that they don't have a mouth. They may not have any vocal chords, which is why they would develop the telepathic communication.

Think outside the box, because the box doesn't always fit.
Seems like the creature works perfectly fine to me.

Wind instruments require either a voicebox, tongue or lips. Singing requires a voicebox.

They have neither lips, tongue or voicebox. A blowgun doesn't require those to operate. Just a blowhole (or spiracle).

They breath through one or more orifices, more like a blowhole than a mouth. This enables them to expel with great force from this opening. Plenty of insects breath through spiracles which are little more than holes along the abdomen, though there is nothing to say they can't be in other places, or indeed replace the mouth entirely. It is after all a bipedal, insectlike creature of fantasy.

A centipede spiracle
http://www.saasta.ac.za/sciencelens/winners/2002/images/scilens2002_11.jpg
That's a crap reply and you know it.
It isn't a matter of expecting it to follow reality or biology. We have accepted that somehow it is a human-like creature that simply doesn't have a mouth preventing it from breathing, speaking, etc. This is all perfectly okay.
The problem is that what is written on the paper SPECIFICALLY ignores that the rule of reality and biology we have accepted being broken for this monster is in fact broken.

Now, whether something breaks biological rules or not, we should still be able to VISUALIZE what the game is saying is going on. What exactly does a creature with no mouth using a blowgun look like?
Furthermore, why is it a blowgun? Just about any other weapon would be more supportive of accepting that biology is being broken here and the monster has no mouth.
It is like they make a big deal about the creature having no mouth just to change it all with the typing of one word which conveys "ha-ha-ha!! Just kidding, of COURSE they have mouths!"

Its a perfectly okay monster. For all we know it telepathically talks to wind spirits and causes them to blow it for it. Seriously the only person who is making a big deal about it is you. Of course it breaks the rules of biology. This creature did not evolve from something, frankly well the answer shouldn't always be magic sometimes it is the answer.
The entry does not specifically state that they have no mouth, just that they have no way to sing or use wind instruments.

Their illustration has no mouth, and their lore says
"They do not speak, only communicating via telepathy."
"All banshraes love singing and the sound of wind
instruments—although they have no way to sing or play such
instruments themselves."

That seems pretty indicative. I mean, we're used to impossible monsters in D&D, but giving these creatures blowguns (which PC's, who do have mouths, cannot even use) just seems like a cruel and obvious jest.

Ignoring impossibilities is one thing, but ignoring obvious silliness is another. And if the writers did it accidentally, then they well deserve to be mocked.
I think you guys skipped over a very important part of the ecology section of the descrpitioin. It states that they made a deal with a powerful verdant prince to gain back some musical ability, allowing them to use their flute/blowgun. as far as eating and breathing, they have holes in their head, under their hair, and "eat" while sleeping, absorbing nutrients from the ground around it.