Modern Equipment in D&D 4e

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is an optional module for those who want to introduce Modern Weapons to your D&D 4e campaign. It turns out that D&D 4e is very compatible with the old d20 Modern game, it appears alot of the ideas taken in developing d20 Modern were incorporated into the new D&D 4e, in particular Action points come to mind. To simulate the penetrating power of Modern weapons, when making an attack vs a target in Medeaval armor an attack roll is a d20 + attack bonus vs Reflex, not Armor Class! This is because the armor bonus is incorporated in AC but not in reflex, magical enhancement bonuses are however.

Using the Equipment list in the d20 Modern Core rulebook I have come up with the following interpretation for the equipment presented. We'll start with handguns:

Handguns (require the Personal Firearms Proficiency Feat)
Handgun ----------------------------- Prof -- Dmg --- Rng(sq) RoF* Weight
Beretta 92F (9mm autoloader) --------- +2 --- 2d6 --- 8/80 --- S ---- 3 lb.
Beretta 93R (9mm machine pistol) ------ +2 --- 2d6 --- 6/60 --- S,A -- 3 lb.
Colt Double Eagle (10mm autoloader) --- +2 --- 2d6 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 3 lb.
Colt M1911 (.45 autoloader) ----------- +2 --- 2d6 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 3 lb.
Colt Python (.357 revolver) ------------ +3 --- 2d6 --- 8/80 --- S ---- 3 lb.
Derringer (.45) ------------------------ +2 --- 2d6 --- 2/20 --- Single - 1 lb.
Desert Eagle (.50 AE autoloader) ------- +2 --- 2d8 --- 8/80 --- S ---- 4 lb.
Glock 17 (9mm autoloader) ------------- +3 --- 2d6 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 2 lb.
Glock 20 (10mm autoloader) ------------ +3 --- 2d6 --- 8/80 --- S ---- 3 lb.
MAC Ingram M10 (.45 machine pistol) --- +2 --- 2d6 --- 8/80 --- S,A -- 6 lb.
Pathfinder (.22 revolver) --------------- +2 --- 2d4 --- 4/40 --- S ---- 1 lb.
Ruger Service-Six (.385 revolver) ------- +2 --- 2d6 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 2 lb.
S&W M29 (.44 magnum revolver) ------- +2 --- 2d8 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 3 lb.
SITES M9 (9mm autoloader) ------------ +2 --- 2d6 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 2 lb.
Skorpion (.32 machine pistol) ----------- +2 --- 2d4 --- 8/80 --- S,A -- 4 lb.
TEC-9 (9mm machine pistol) ------------ +2 --- 2d6 --- 8/80 --- S,A -- 4 lb.
Walther PPK (.32 autoloader) ----------- +2 --- 2d4 --- 6/60 --- S ---- 1 lb.
*RoF: There are three possible rates of fire for handguns, longarms, and heavy weapons, they are: Single for single shot, S for semiautomatic, and A for automatic.

For a Single Shot handgun you simply roll d20 add attack bonuses and compare the result against the targets Reflex score, if the result is equal to or greater than the target's Reflex score you roll the listed damage under the Dmg column.

For a Semiautomatic the treatment is the same as for single shot weapons except for people with the Semiautomatic feat in which the user may fire up to 5 rounds per round rolling an attack roll for each shot in rapid succession or empty the magazine in that round, whichever is the lesser.

For Automatic the user instead targets 4 adjacent squares, the Reflex for each square is by default 10, if there is hard cover then the situation will modify the square Reflex score upwards, a brick wall might give a +5 cover bonus to the target square it is in front of for example. For every square the Automatic burst hits, each character must make a Reflex saving throw in order to avoid getting hit and taking damage: Each rolls a D20 adding modifiers and if the result is below the target's Reflex score, he avoids taking damage from the Automatic fire for that round.
Dude, you may have just helped me figure out a way to introduce my game world to the masses! I've been waiting for something like this.
I might also suggest looking for the game UltraModern4, it's basically d20Modern for 4E with classes and themes (called ladders) specifically designed for modern and sci-fi settings that take advantage of 4E's cinematic feel.

Best of all, the publisher has (or had, I haven't checked back) a free unformatted version of the rules out there for download (though I was so impressed I paid for the formatted version).