The Complete Animal Compendium (4e)

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reading a thread about wolverines on this board made me think of the great animal thread on the old 3e boards. Since the fourth edition monster manual has a SERIOUS shortage of mundane animals, I think we need such a compendium now more than ever.

I recommend that real world animals not exceed level 10 at the VERY highest; an African Elephant or a Great White Shark might be big, but they don't strike me as paragon monsters. Other than that, feel free to stat them out however you want. Just try to maintain as much zoological accuracy as possible.

Go!

Space Dragon
Viper
Eagle
Monkey
Monkey Minion

Coastal Shark
Reef Shark
Oceanic Shark

Humboldt Squid
Giant Squid

Spider Crab

Ghilz
Attack Dog
Crocodile
Tyranosaurus Rex

Tonpa
Hunting Dog
Hunting Dog Minion

Gorilla
Mighty Silverback Gorilla

jimb
Wolverine
Dire Wolverine

AH_Centinull
Viper Minion

taski
Lion (male, female, and elder)

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Looks more like a Soldier than a Skirmisher to me, but otherwise solid. Linked.

I love my puppy that falls within the size range you describe, and I have to say, as much as I love her, even if she was trained to fight, there is no way she'd be worthy of these stats. This is a 20 - 50 lb dog we're talking about... Alright maybe at the upper range you've given, but at 20 lbs no way.
I love my puppy that falls within the size range you describe, and I have to say, as much as I love her, even if she was trained to fight, there is no way she'd be worthy of these stats. This is a 20 - 50 lb dog we're talking about... Alright maybe at the upper range you've given, but at 20 lbs no way.

I was quoting the 3.5 description for the Dog stat block :P Otherwise, its pretty much just the Grey Wolf's stats, reduced one level and one size category :P

Dont Blame me, blame the system for allowing genetically enhanced super dogs powered by dark matter or something.

Looks more like a Soldier than a Skirmisher to me, but otherwise solid. Linked.

Again, Grey Wolf stats. I guess its a skirmisher coz of the huge speed and high perception.
I was quoting the 3.5 description for the Dog stat block :P Otherwise, its pretty much just the Grey Wolf's stats, reduced one level and one size category :P

Dont Blame me, blame the system for allowing genetically enhanced super dogs powered by dark matter or something.

Again, Grey Wolf stats. I guess its a skirmisher coz of the huge speed and high perception.

But that was 3.5 it's a new edition, you can break the insane animal stats mold.

I'd make smaller dogs like this minions with similar stats, and the next size up having real hit points.
*cough double posts.*

BTW, Minion dogs could be cool though.
But that was 3.5 it's a new edition, you can break the insane animal stats mold.

4ed breaks insane animal stats mold? Have you checked the stats for bears. Forget about Tanks. The army can just field bears.

But I think you fail to get the point that I am naturally lazy and thus getting the description out of 3.5 and pasting was easier for me then writing something verbatim. And if anyone called me out, I could just say its an homage!

Maybe a tad overkill. Anyway, gonna write up a Giant Crocodile version after I've got some sleep. A large version to represent the Nile Crocodile / Saltwater Crocodiles.
I did these some time ago:

IMAGE(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/tonpa/HuntingDog.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/tonpa/Huntingdogminion.jpg)
The hunting dog minion should be very useful. I'll probably use it for when my PC's fight big packs of wild dogs or wolves.

Ghilz, there is already a large, mundane crocodile in the Monster Manual (the vicejaw crocodile) which looks to be a fairly accurate representation of the larger IRL gators and crocs. If you want to make your own though, that's fine.
4ed breaks insane animal stats mold? Have you checked the stats for bears. Forget about Tanks. The army can just field bears.

Those are cave bears, an extinct, prehistoric behemoth. Grizzly and black bears don't seem to be statted.
The minion hunting dog feels a bit too good, though I've not directly compared it to other minions to be sure.

Anyhow, I did some tigers a while back (Tiger, Sabertooth Tiger, Dire Tiger)
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Here are the wolverines I posted in another thread.

Wolverine

Wolverines, or gluttons, are ferocious predators with an insatiable hunger for fresh meat. They are feared by adventurers for their repulsive tendency to attack fallen comrades. They are quite foul-smelling, and are sometimes referred to as "skunk bears".

Wolverine Tactics
Wolverines attack wantonly, fearing no other creatures. Wolverines generally attack the weakest-looking foe, hoping to kill quickly so that they may feast. They prefer to attack bloodied targets, and they will rush to bite an enemy who has fallen. An enraged wolverine will fight to the death.

[deck=Dire Wolverine; Level 8 Brute (350 XP)]
Large natural beast
--
Initiative +7; Senses Perception +5; darkvision
Stench of Carrion aura 1; living enemies in the aura take a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
HP 110; Bloodied 55
AC 19; Fortitude 21, Reflex 20, Will 18
Speed 6, climb 2
--
basic melee Claw (standard; at-will)
+11 vs. AC; 2d8 + 3 damage; see also bloodied rage.
--
melee Bite (standard; at-will)
dying target only; +9 vs. AC; 1d8 + 3 damage, and the target takes a -10 penalty to its next death saving throw; see also bloodied rage.
--
Feast (free action, when an adjacent creature dies; encounter)
The wolverine gains 27 temporary hit points.
--
Bloodied Rage (while bloodied)
The wolverine gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls, and its claw attack deals 5 extra points of damage.
--
Alignment unaligned; Languages --
Str 18 (+4), Dex 17 (+5), Wis 13 (+3)
Con 20 (+6), Int 2 (-2), Cha 10 (+2)
[/deck]

Wolverine Lore
A character knows the following information with a successful Nature check.

DC 15: Wolverines are ferocious predators that can generally be found in forests, mountain, and tundra regions. They are extremely gluttonous and always hugry for fresh meat.

DC 20: Wolverines typically maul prey with their claws and begin eating as soon as they knock their prey unconscious. In their hunger, wolverines will often attack dying creatures even when there are living ones nearby.

Wolverine Encounters
Wolverines are encountered alone or in small groups. Some humanoids domesticate wolverines as pets and guard animals, though they can be difficult to control when enraged.

Level 3 Encounter (776 XP)
  • 2 orc raiders (level 3 skirmisher)
  • 4 orc drudges (level 4 minion)
  • 2 wolverines (level 2 brute)

Level 6 Encounter (1,300 XP)
  • 1 hobgoblin commander (level 5 soldier)
  • 1 hobgoblin warcaster (level 3 controller)
  • 4 hobgoblin soldiers (level 3 soldier)
  • 1 dire wolverine (level 7 brute)

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Brehms_Het_Leven_der_Dieren_Zoogdieren_Orde_4_Veelvraat_%28Gulo_borealis%29.jpg/450px-Brehms_Het_Leven_der_Dieren_Zoogdieren_Orde_4_Veelvraat_%28Gulo_borealis%29.jpg)
Jimb, thank you for adding.

Keithric, repost your tigers here and I'll add them to the OP.
Here are some eagle stats. Give it a +4 fortitude bonus versus disease, and its a vulture. Give it low light vision, and its a great horned owl.

Smaller birds of prey like hawks or falcons should probably be minions.

IMAGE(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/tonpa/250px-Gorilla_019.jpg)
GO-RIL-LA
IMAGE(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/tonpa/Gorilla.jpg)

For those who like the deck style for easy modifications:

[deck=Mighty Silverback Gorilla; Level 5 Brute (200 XP)]
Medium natural beast (primate)
---
A Leader of major Gorilla group.
---
Initiative +5 Senses: Perception +4; Low-light vision
HP 76; Bloodied 38 (see also Gorilla grab):
AC 18; Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 14
Speed: 5; (7 with charge)
Skills: Athletics +12, Endurance +10, Intimidation +7.
---
m Slam (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage
---
M Furious clobber (standard; encounter)
When the gorilla charges, it makes two slam attacks against the same target. If both attacks hit the target falls prone after the attacks resolve
---
M Gorilla grab (immediate reaction, when first time bloodied; encounter)
+6 vs. Reflex; Target is grabbed (until escape).
---
M Gorilla wrestling (standard, grabbed target only, at-will)
+6 vs. Fortitude; 2d8 + 5 damage and the gorilla pushes target 3 squares and the target falls prone.
Alignment unaligned
Languages
Str: 21 (+7) Dex: 16 (+5) Wis: 14 (+4)
Con: 16 (+5) Int: 3 (-2) Cha: 11 (+2)
Equipment -
[/deck]
While I commend the work people have done on this thread, as a long time DM and animal lover, I have never been comfortable with the party hacking the crap put of a gorilla or what not.

I can see why they didn't put any real mundane animals in the new MM, I want my heroes to fight a genie or something, not gang up on an ill- tempered warthog or something.
Time to please my inner child with a crowd pleaser. Probably higher level then it should be, but hey, its the freaking T-Rex! Not realistic, but hey, I like my dinosaurs to be memorable.

Those last two are a bit overpowered.

Tonpa, level 5 is somewhat high for a gorilla. They might be tough, but level five puts them on an even playing field with a saltwater crocodile. Level 3 or 4 should work.

Ghilz, level 8 could work for a creature as big and dangerous as a T-Rex, but I don't get the solo part. It should be a normal monster, elite at the very best. Actually, the abilities you gave it are much more in line with an elite to begin with.

Either convince me that I'm wrong, or nerf them, and they will be added to the list.

[deck=Monkey Minion; Level 1 Minion (25 XP)]
Small natural beast
---
A larger monkey, like a large macaque or baboon.
---
Initiative +6; Senses +6
HP 1; a minion is never damaged by a missed attack
AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 17, Will 11
Speed 6; climb 6
Skills Stealth +6, Nature +2
---
basic melee attack Bite (standard; at will):
+3 vs. AC; 4 damage.
---
Rock (standard; at will):
Range 6; +3 vs. AC; 4 damage.
---
Swinging Attack
A monkey can make melee or ranged attacks at any point during its move while it is climbing.

Alignment unaligned
Languages -
Str 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Dex 18 (+4), Int 4 (-3), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)
Equipment -
[/deck]
Those last two are a bit overpowered.

Tonpa, level 5 is somewhat high for a gorilla. They might be tough, but level five puts them on an even playing field with a saltwater crocodile. Level 3 or 4 should work.

Either convince me that I'm wrong, or nerf them, and they will be added to the list.

The Gorilla was done with Bugbear in mind, which made it quite heavy hitter. For a fix I posted two versions up now: One of "basic" gorilla (Brute 2) and one of "leader" (the earlier Brute 5).

Cheers.
Ah, that makes more sense. Gorillas added to OP.

Lions

Lioness Tactics
Lionesses hunt together. They ambush from all sides, and focus their attacks on one target, usually one that’s old, weak, or separated from others. Typically, one lioness will grab a target and rake it, while the other lionesses claw the same target to deal extra damage.

[deck="Elder Lioness; Level 3 Skirmisher (150 XP)"]
Medium natural beast
---
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +8; low-light vision
HP 46; Bloodied 23
AC 17; Fortitude 14, Reflex 16, Will 15
Speed 6
---
m Claw (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage, or 2d6 + 3 damage vs. opponent grabbed by another lioness.
---
M Suffocate (standard; sustain standard; encounter)
Requires combat advantage; +6 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 3 damage, and target is grabbed (until escape). The elder lioness can sustain the power as a standard action, dealing 1d10 + 3 damage, but not sustaining the grab.
---
Coordinated Ambush (minor; encounter)
Grant allies +2 speed on their first move during the encounter, if they have not already moved.
---
Alignment Unaligned Languages
Skills Stealth +8
Str 12 (+2) Dex 16 (+4) Wis 14 (+3)
Con 12 (+2) Int 2 (-1) Cha 10 (+1)
[/deck]
Elder Lioness Tactics
Elder lionesses usually hunt with at least one other lioness. They will use coordinated ambush as early as possible, then suffocate their chosen prey while another lioness maintains the grab with rake.

[deck="Male Lion; Level 4 Brute (175 XP)"]
Medium natural beast
---
Initiative +4 Senses Perception +; low-light vision
HP 65; Bloodied 32
AC 18; Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 15
Speed 6
---
m Claw (standard; at-will)
+7 vs. AC; 2d8 +4 damage.
---
Roar (standard; recharge 5 6)
+5 vs. Will; target is immobilized (save ends).
---
Alignment Unaligned Languages
Skills Stealth +9
Str 18 (+6) Dex 15 (+4) Wis 13 (+3)
Con 15 (+4) Int 2 (-1) Cha 10 (+2)
[/deck]
Male Lion Tactics
Male lions rarely hunt, but they will attack intruders on their territory (especially during the breeding season). They will roar first in an attempt to startle their enemy, then claw its guts out.

Level 3 Encounter (775 XP)
  • 3 Lionesses (level 3 skirmisher)
  • 1 Elder Lioness (level 3 skirmisher leader)
  • 1 Male Lion (level 4 brute)
Shouldn't lions be faster than 6?

Either way, added.
Why does the Viper have 30 hitpoints? I mean, this is a completely awesome awesome awesome thread, but if you hit a viper in real life with a knife it either slices it in half or leaves it bloody and dying, with one hit. I'll be using the viper minion for normal vipers.
Humans also die from one hit with a dagger. And yet, some humans are minions, and others are not.

[deck=School Shark; Level 5 Minion (100 XP)]
Medium natural beast (aquatic)
---
Lemon, sandbar, and some reef sharks are five to eight feet long, and often attack in large numbers. These stats can also be used for barracudas.
---
Initiative +4; Senses +7; blindsight 20
HP 1; a minion is never damaged by an attack that misses.
AC 16; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 12
Speed swim 8
Skills Perception +6, Athletics +10
---
+6 vs. AC; 6 damage.
---
Blood Frenzy
If there is a bloodied creature within 2 squares of itself, a shark gains +2 to attack and damage rolls.

Alignment neutral
Languages none
Str 14 (+4), Con 12 (+3), Dex 12 (+3), Int 1 (-3), Wis 10 (+2), Cha 6 (+0)
[/deck]

[deck=Oceanic Shark; Level 6 Elite Brute (800 XP)]
Huge natural beast (aquatic)
---
Bull, mako, and great white sharks are some of the deadliest predators in the sea. They measure from eighteen to twenty-five feet in length.
---
Initiative +3; Senses +9; blindsight 20
HP 194; Bloodied 97
AC 17; Fortitude 20, Reflex 13, Will 14
Speed swim 8
Skills Perception +9, Athletics +15
Saves +2
Action Points 1
---
+13 vs. AC; 2d8+7 damage and target is grabbed, plus ongoing 3 damage (save ends).
---
Grasping Charge (standard; recharge 5, 6)
If it hits with a charge attack, the shark grabs its victim and drags it to the end point of the charge.
---
Blood Frenzy
If there is a bloodied creature within 2 squares of itself, a shark gains +2 to attack and damage rolls.

Alignment neutral
Languages none
Str 24 (+10), Con 16 (+6), Dex 10 (+3), Int 1 (-2), Wis 12 (+4), Cha 6 (+1)
[/deck]

[deck=Giant Squid; Level 10 Elite Controller (1,600 XP)]
Huge natural beast (aquatic)
---
Twenty feet long and armed with tentacles twice that length, the giant squid is a creature to be reckoned with.
---
Initiative +1; Senses +2; low light vision
HP 172; Bloodied 86
AC 23; Fortitude 21, Reflex 18, Will 16
Speed swim 8
Saves +2
Action points 1
---
basic melee attack Tentacle (standard; at will):
Reach 8; +10 vs. Reflex; 1d6+5 damage and target is grabbed.
---
Double Attack (standard; at will):
The squid makes 2 tentacle attacks.
---
Pull In
At the beginning of its turn, the squid does automatic tentacle damage to all grabbed victims and slides them 8 squares.
---
Bite (minor; at will):
+14 vs. AC; 2d8+7 damage.
---
Dart (minor; recharge 4, 5, 6)
The squid moves 10 squares.

Alignment neutral
Languages none
Str 20 (+10), Con 20 (+10), Dex 10 (+5), Int 2 (+1), Wis 12 (+6), Cha 12 (+6)
[/deck]

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to make requests. But does anyone want to try making some stats for the barracuda? (1e MM p.8)
The school shark stats are meant to double as barracuda or other large, mean fish.
Someone with the know-how should compile these into a pdf.
I can see being an animal lover and not wanting my party to just fight mundane creatures.  That's great.  But the suped-up versions of animals that the monster manual offers are sometimes just not right for the encounter.  Sometimes I just want to show my PCs how deadly some non-D&D monsters can be.  I think a dash of reality can be refreshing; maybe not every square mile of my game world is enchanting or perilous.   Just tossing these thoughts out there; I found this thread while looking for stats for the damage that common spiders or snakes might do.