101 creative uses for cantrips

198 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did this in 3.5 and I think it'd still work in fourth:
252) Start a riot/bar fight: Use Ghost Sound to make sexist/demeaning comments right behind a person and then goose their rear with Mage Hand. Repeat throughout the crowd.
253) Act like you are smoking a cigarette, make motions with your hands and make an eerie glow at the end of your mouth.... breathe smoke.
I used Prestidigitation to place a mark on a persons forehead that I needed to perform a task for me. I then told him that it was a "Mark of Death" and that if he betrayed me he would "most assuredly waste away and die."

A little bit of luck on the subsequent bluff check and I had me a temporary minion who was terribly afraid to anger me.
255.use prestitation to make fake barf.

hello everybody!!!!!!!

256.With prestitation & ghost sound make a make-shift marx-bros. or 3 stooges film!

hello everybody!!!!!!!

See, this is what happens when a 1st level wizard gets grounded...
253. Clearing out an elevator with Ghost Sound. Just pretend it was Dwight and hold your nostrils closed.

254. Dealing cards. Prestidigitation helps you make sure that guy with the 25 passive perception doesn't see you're dealing from the bottom of the deck.
255. Use prestidigitation to remove all the air from the room (5lbs of air is quite a bit, in volume). One of the players in a campaign I was running used this as a coercion method against a manipulative Ravaasta and it was so creative I let him do it.
256.make footprints appear in the patarn of a dance to teach others how to do the dance you want to teach them.

hello everybody!!!!!!!

253. Clearing out an elevator with Ghost Sound. Just pretend it was Dwight and hold your nostrils closed.

And this is why you don't let ten year olds play dnd.
207: Play catch with your own magehand

This one is my favorite, made me laugh out loud.

I used Prestidigitation to place a mark on a persons forehead that I needed to perform a task for me. I then told him that it was a "Mark of Death" and that if he betrayed me he would "most assuredly waste away and die."

And this is one that my Doppelganger Rogue will have to use with his Hedge Wizard Gloves. What a way to enter a room and get information, right before the party bursts in and kills them all. Thanks Frater.

And here's a few more:

257. Make the universal "He talks too much" sign with mage hand behind the Mayor's head when he is trying to explain why you need to save his village.

258. Make mage hand bunny ears behind any pc who tries to "pick up a woman" at the inn.

259. Make the dwarfs drink have a new flavor every time he takes a swallow.

260. Turn the Cleric's pants invisible while he is preaching at his local Dieties Church.
Of all the divine casters in our party, most of them worship Sehanine. Therefore, invisible clothing may well not be considered bad by them... :P

261. I've always been fond of using Prestidigitation to augment the flavour of food. My characters always had maxed out cooking skills in previous editions, and have continued enhancing their cooking this way in 4th edition.
Reality is a reference point, not a limitation.
262) Use prestidigitation to recreate a scene to explain what happened.

263) Use mage hand to snag the deadly magical item that the enemy is holding (This happened in game, the hobgoblins had dragons in a barrel (dont ask) and he had a fabric egg to bust em open. I (the wizard) snagged it from him and than broke it, not knowing what it did :P )
Use mage hand to push on dart trap triggers way ahead of you so you don't have to even worry about them.
And what if the dart trap is rooted to the wall/more than 10lbs? Mage hand isn't the same as telekinesis.
254) Play the Woozy Wizard bar game. The house buys the wizard a pitcher of ale, and he uses Mage Hand to pour drinks for himself without spilling. If he succeeds, buy him another pitcher. Repeat. Have the other bar patrons bet on the outcome of each round of drinks for added fun.

255) Use prestidigitation to make said drinks nice and frosty.
Umm, I just posted a Tactical Cantrip Usage guide on the CharOps side...without realising this thread existed. But, it'd be great if I could get some feedback on it though. :

Tactical Cantrip Usage 101: A Fey Trickster's Handbook

I'm trying to find ways to create a character that can actually use cantrips to devastate an enemy... :P

Summary of the Guide:
256) Feinting via a Bluff vs. Insight check to gain Combat Advantage (Several ways are listed in the guide )
257) Use it to activate Summoner's Slip (Bonded Summoner CF) to gain a free teleport.
258) Use Mage Hand to "transport" an alchemical grenade; use like an ATGM, which can fire across corners, over cover etc.
269. Ghost Sound makes a nice de facto "radio" if you have a mage slip up ahead either due to Stealth (as I did with an eladrin wizard who had it trained in a one-shot) or invisibility spell and play spotter. In the aforementioned game I was able to get the party lurking out of sight behind myself and the rogues to coordinate for a successful surprise attack. In general it makes a very useful way for covert communication if you need it since you can just whisper in someone's ear or talk just loud enough for a close together group to hear. Just tell somebody "scratch your nose for yes" or the like and you can manage a crude level of back-and-forth talking if the wizard can directly see them.

270. Ghost Sound to let somebody else "listen" to something the wizard is hearing; nice trick if they know a language he doesn't or the like.

271. If watching an NPC trying to give a password to somebody, creatively screwing it up with Ghost Sound can have entertaining results. Also a nice way to get them to repeat the actual password louder so YOU can understand it from a distance ;).
"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is ARRRGGGHHH THE SUN!!!" *PHOOM* -- Vampire theatre
Back in 3.0 I had a rogue/sorcerer. The entire party was captured by some desert lizard people. All of us were tied up to poles except the dwarf cleric who had to play a game with a lizard person accusing us of being evil and how their god wanted us sacrificed ... the game was to determine who to believe, us or the accuser, by whoever won. Whoever became unconscious first, was obviously judged by their god to be lying... Anyway, my character figured out that the accuser was cheating by using a magical healing headband. So, I wiggled myself free of the knots tying me to the poll, cast prestidigitation to make my ropes appear like I was still tied (another lizard person came over to me and checked the ropes shortly after I managed to free myself )... then I made the headband glow when he used it's magic to heal himself (he put his head down into his hands, touched the headband, and was healed)... my character then yelled, "Look, he's cheating! He's using magic!!!" ;) Well, the other lizard people chased the accuser out of the village, banishing him, we were set free and apologized to... and we made a recurring enemy for the DM to make future adventures with. Not bad for a cantrip, if I do say so myself. :D
**Just to clarify a few things in here, from what I've read...

- Ghost Sound is NONVOCAL, so no talking.
- Mage Hand is spectral, which is VISIBLE.
- Presti to move air is called making a breeze, not creating a vacuum.
- Presti is 1 cubic foot. 3 Presti effects is 3 cubic feet -- which may or may not be enough for one full outfit change. And changing the color of an outfit or adding a small mark or symbol doesn't change its other characteristics, such as cloth to leather, or traveler's clothes to nobleman's clothes.
- Presti lets you make a SMALL, HANDHELD item invisible. Means both small and handheld -- in your hand -- not one or the other.

And some ideas:

Make a paper mache beholder. Stick your Mage Hand inside -- and some bloody meat. Make it light up and shoot pew pew lasers every so often with Prestidigitation. And it gargle warble cthoghon googoo with Ghost Sound. Now bring it to life in front of someone you're trying to impress. Have at it, single handedly blowing it up to hell, making sure the giblets fly. Yay, you got the job. =)

Just before the start of a duel, roll your eyes up, start twicting, start babbling in tongues, making them reverb and echo as whispers circling your opponent [Ghost Sound]. Flip your eyes down, making them appear to glow with blue flame [Prestidigitation]. Scream something like, "I will swallow your soul!" Your dagger flies out of your belt [Mage Hand] and appears to slash your throat [Prestidigitation], spewing flaming blood [Prestidigitation]. Leaping out of your neck is a flaming skull that flies directly at your opponent [Prestidigitation] screaming bloody murder [Ghost Sound].

Two guards block your path. A lecherous moan is heard between them [Ghost Sound]. They turn, facing each other. And then they feel something stroking their chubbies [Mage Hand]. Confusion. Anger. And then the rogue slits one of their throats, while the other takes an arrow in the throat. ;)

A douchebag is about to leave a bar. Mage hand the other side of the door so there's 20 lbs. of resistance when he tries to open it. Wait for it... drop the spell the next time he tries to open it, and watch him fall on his ass.

A bad guy is climbing a rope or a steep cliff face after you. As they let go with one hand and foot to take the next grab, scream bloody murder in their ear [Ghost Sound] and make something appear to jump straight for them [Prestidigitation].

Every time the hot chick looks at you, lightly stroke her clothes touching her skin [Mage Hand], and barely warm the air around her [Prestidigitation]. Every time she looks at your rival, chill the air around her and barely run the hand up her spine [Mage Hand].

Turn the dwarf's ale into cat **** [Prestidigitate]. ;)
**Just to clarify a few things in here, from what I've read...

- Ghost Sound is NONVOCAL, so no talking.
- Mage Hand is spectral, which is VISIBLE.
- Presti to move air is called making a breeze, not creating a vacuum.
- Presti is 1 cubic foot. 3 Presti effects is 3 cubic feet -- which may or may not be enough for one full outfit change. And changing the color of an outfit or adding a small mark or symbol doesn't change its other characteristics, such as cloth to leather, or traveler's clothes to nobleman's clothes.
- Presti lets you make a SMALL, HANDHELD item invisible. Means both small and handheld -- in your hand -- not one or the other.

I think some of these points can be argued against:

-Ghost Sound: I think this is more of the text saying that it can be non-vocal as well as vocal. If this wasn't so I don't think it would say you can "whisper quietly enough that only creatures adjacent to the target can hear your words." Emphasis mine.

-Actually 3 prestidigitation spells are not 3 cubic feet. That would require 27. 1 cubic foot is 1x1x1 which we can call a "square" for our example. 3 cubic feet is 3x3x3 which would be 3 squares long, 3 wide and 3 deep. That being said, with the exception of plate mail, no set of clothing when off the human body can possibly take up more than one cubic foot. Take a set of clothes and just look at it in a pile. Since a cubic foot can be stretched and distorted in any way of your choosing it shouldn't matter if it's on your body or not.

-Handheld is an adjective describing an object as, "Compact enough to be used or operated while being held in the hand or hands" not whether or not it is in your hands at the time.
Ghost Sound: You cause a sound as quiet as a whisper or as loud as a yelling or fighting creature to emanate from the target. You can produce nonvocal sounds such as the ringing of a sword blow, jingling armor, or scraping stone. If you whisper, you can whisper quietly enough that only creatures adjacent to the target can hear your words.

I'm going by the explicit reading. Either you produce nonvocal sounds from the target, or you whisper and it sounds like it's coming from the target. If you want Ghost Sound to speak, it means it has to come from your mouth, and it's your voice. The entire point of the whisper text is that if you whisper, you only hear speech coming from a single source: the target. It doesn't mean you can perform acts of ventriloquism without speaking or make a magic mouth. There's a ritual for that.

And three cubic feet is exactly that: a cubic foot, times three. One cubic foot is 1728 cubic inches. Three cubic feet is 5184 cubic inches. 27 cubic feet is three feet cubed. Ever go buy soil? It's sold in bags, two cubic feet each. That's 1' by 1' by 2' of soil, not 2' by 2' by 2'.

One cubic foot is 7.5 gallons. Grab a five gallon paint bucket. Take off your shoes, socks, jeans, shirt. Put them in the bucket. It might fit. It might not. Add a coat. It'll overflow for sure. Add a cloak? Not possible. A wool cloak would fill more than a single bucket by itself. See how a single outfit could easily be more than 3 cubic feet.

Websters defines handheldas, "held in the hand." Wow, go figure...
Ghost Sound: You cause a sound as quiet as a whisper or as loud as a yelling or fighting creature to emanate from the target. You can produce nonvocal sounds such as the ringing of a sword blow, jingling armor, or scraping stone. If you whisper, you can whisper quietly enough that only creatures adjacent to the target can hear your words.

Well I'm sorry for you. However, I don't know anyone else who reads it like that and I think you are limiting the use and creativity of it by doing that.

I'm going by the explicit reading. Either you produce nonvocal sounds from the target, or you whisper and it sounds like it's coming from the target. If you want Ghost Sound to speak, it means it has to come from your mouth, and it's your voice. The entire point of the whisper text is that if you whisper, you only hear speech coming from a single source: the target. It doesn't mean you can perform acts of ventriloquism without speaking or make a magic mouth. There's a ritual for that.

And three cubic feet is exactly that: a cubic foot, times three. 27 cubic feet is three feet cubed. Ever go buy soil? It's sold in bags, two cubic feet each. That's 1' by 2' of soil, not 2' by 2'.

One cubic foot is 7.5 gallons. Grab a five gallon paint bucket. Take off your shoes, socks, jeans, shirt. Put them in the bucket. It might fit. It might not. Add a coat. It'll overflow for sure. Add a cloak? Not possible. A wool cloak would fill more than a single bucket by itself. See how a single outfit could easily be more than 3 cubic feet.

You're right about the 3 cubic feat this. I am tired and I wasn't thinking straight.

Websters defines handheld as, "held in the hand." Wow, go figure...

You seemed top ignore this part of the definition: "designed to be operated while being held in the hand <handheld computer>." A handheld phone does not stop being a handheld phone when it leaves your hand.

A 200 pound person has a volume of about 3.2 cubic feet. If you ball your items together (like in a laundry bin) cleaning them all is a snap.
Sarlax Chicago, IL --- Find local gamers via Google Maps @ http://nearbygamers.com/
I am limiting Ghost Sound to a RAW interpretation. Presti as well, regarding disguises. An at-will cantrip can't be effectively used to disguise oneself, because Disguise Self already exists, as a level six daily utility. And as the Presti text says: "This cantrip cannot duplicate the effect of any other power."
As long as presti isn't givng you a bonus to the check on disguise, only enablinh it, there shouldn't be a problem with it.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I am limiting Ghost Sound to a RAW interpretation. Presti as well, regarding disguises. An at-will cantrip can't be effectively used to disguise oneself, because Disguise Self already exists, as a level six daily utility. And as the Presti text says: "This cantrip cannot duplicate the effect of any other power."

Cantrips do not let you change your features the same way Disguise Self does.
Make a sneezing sound to distract guards or particularly stupid enemy that is blocking your path.

hello everybody!!!!!!!

I once used Mage Hand to steal the arrows from a goblin archer's quiver. He wasn't very happy to suddenly find out he had no ammunition left to shoot at us. :D

I also used Ghost Sound to give false orders to a group of orcs in their leader's voice. Those that failed their Insight check fell right into our trap.

I've cast light on pebbles and thrown them into chasms to see how deep they are.

I also noticed some incoming thugs one night while standing watch. I cast light on one of their shirts. I wanted to make their positions obvious for the rest of the party. Since the DM decided they were pretty ignorant of magic, the thug panicked and ripped off his shirt and they all fled.
Make a scarecrow and tie a dagger to the right or left hand of it. Mage hand to grab hold of the scarecrow and keep it sturdy. Sustain Minor to keep it afloat, move action to twist Mage Hand so that the scarecrow's dagger arm sweeps at adjacent enemy.
With your standard action you can use ghost sound to make your scarecrow sound like it's yelling a battle cry, perhaps draw some attacks.
Depends if Mage Hand can count as a player for purposes of flanking, otherwise have fun with your new rogue. Basically all they do anyway :D
Summon your mage hand behind a Not-Yet-In-Combat NPC. Have it press a "finger" firmly against its kidney.
Ghost Sound " I've got the drop on this one boss. You want me to kill 'im?"
You: "Drop your weapon/Let us go/Tell me where the princess is or my buddy is going to give you a new orifice."

Since your not in combat the NPC shouldn't yet have the amazing 360 degree vision that everyone seems to have now, so I think this would actually be RAW legit.
Personally i find there is actually several uses for cantrips that i'd love to have as a rogue.

For instance if we have a loud armored clanking fighter, I make louder noises behind the enemy to drown his armor.

Fill a room full of gas, but use prestigious to mask the sent as something else more pleasant. or use it to snuff out lights for easier movement.

My top though is mage hand. Using a number of alchemical items, like clock work bombs or the nail of sealing.

Makes me hope for the master of the unseen hand to come back you know?
I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.

no more?

Personally i find there is actually several uses for cantrips that i'd love to have as a rogue. For instance if we have a loud armored clanking fighter, I make louder noises behind the enemy to drown his armor. Fill a room full of gas, but use prestigious to mask the sent as something else more pleasant. or use it to snuff out lights for easier movement. My top though is mage hand. Using a number of alchemical items, like clock work bombs or the nail of sealing. Makes me hope for the master of the unseen hand to come back you know?

It's called a Beguiler. ^_^ Oh right, 4E doesn't have those anymore. Or anything else. Remind me again why people aren't playing 3.5?

because they want a complex game with a bunch of simple, easy to remember,
don't-have-to-always-look-through-the-book-during-play rules
BUMP!
262:  When you know you're going to fight hobgoblins use prestidigitation to make yourself look like Bane (a greater god of war, conquest and tyranny in case you didn't know the 4e deities) have ghost sound make a large sound of an army marching outside.  Make sure to do this to someone with high charisma, so they can make the bluff and intimidate checks.  Heck, it works with anything with some level of intelligence, just really well with hobgoblins.
c'mon people, don't let the thread die! 
seriously, how many times do you have to be reminded that it exists?
BUMP!
262:  When you know you're going to fight hobgoblins use prestidigitation to make yourself look like Bane (a greater god of war, conquest and tyranny in case you didn't know the 4e deities) have ghost sound make a large sound of an army marching outside.  Make sure to do this to someone with high charisma, so they can make the bluff and intimidate checks.  Heck, it works with anything with some level of intelligence, just really well with hobgoblins.
c'mon people, don't let the thread die! 

Technically you couldn't make youself look like Bane. You could change the color of things you are wearing, but unless you're his long lost twin and have a set of armor that looks like his, you're not going to fool anyone.

I'm sure these have been done in the thread so far ( i really wish i had to time to read the entire thing, i bet there's some good ones).

263: Cast Light on the ranger's arrow and have him fire a signaling shot during night battles.

264: Cast Ghost Sound on a square adjecent to an enemy, whispering so only he can hear. Speak in Deep Speech slowly at first, then continuously speed up the tempo until it's a torrent of mind-shattering verses that would drive any mortal insane. Bonus Points: His allies drag the 'crazy orc hearing voices' away, leaving the gate he was guarding defenseless.

265: Cast Light on a glass orb, and use Mage Hand to wisk it around. Use it as a decoy for your Wisp familiar to confuse your enemies and offer your pet a chance to escape.

266: Have your Drow ally wear heavy clothing covering everything but his head. Use Prestidigitation on his head to change his skin and hair color. "Drow? No good sir knight, we have not seen any drow. The only elvish being we know is our good friend Theowyn the Eladrin here."

267: While invisible by any means, use Ghost Sound in an empty square far away from you, making the sounds you'd normally make (jangling of potions, rustling of fabric, cursing that your back is killing you). Bonus Points: use Prestidigitation to stir up dust and debris, as if someone invisible is walking clumsily.
ok, true, but you could make any suit of plate armor look like his
then add the helmet
walk into the room
cue army footsteps

if that doesn't win any intimidate checks for the monsters to run screaming (or, in the case of hobgoblins, bow at your feet) I don't know what would 

At the very beginning of my Eladrin Wizard's adventuring career, he was trying to get into a Tavern, but the entrance was being crowded by a gang of thugs.  So I used prestidigitation to make a "fowl smell" emanate from one of the thug's lower regions.  The gang promptly disbanded and I entered the Tavern without incident.

Sign In to post comments